AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-05, 12:22   Link #301
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

You're giving SHAFT WAY too much credit for a lot of the core elements of the show that belong to the original manga-ka herself. This series is very tightly adapted from a manga that is still going. Hence the characters and overall storyline aren't a SHAFT creation.

I also think comparing the show to Zetsubou Sensei is a bit unfair considering they're two extremely different types of comedy. One is much more political/societal while Arakawa is less about the big social statements (funny as they were in SZS).

They're really not all that similar as far as I'm concerned. SZS lacked any real continuity within the episode or the series' on the whole. Arakawa episodes had strong continuity within themselves generally, and there were overall plot threads as well regardless of whether they were completed or not. Of course, given the show is still going strong, it'd be silly to create an anime original ending now and ruin any chance of coming back to the source material.

And on character growth, if you look at Ko in the first episode vs Ko during his final narration at the end of the final episode, there is TREMENDOUS growth. Especially for a comedy.

He has become a completely different individual, willing to take part in the craziness and insert himself into this weird as hell group. Whereas early on he refused to get swept up. Even by the end of the first season he was clinging to some idea of 'normality'. By the end of season 2, he willingly accepts a battle royale without really even questioning the rationality of one in the first place.

For all intents and purposes, he has become one of the river dwellers.
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 18:27   Link #302
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

People seems to have an intrinsic way of blaming story and characters on Shaft rather than the original authors themselves. It's like people don't do research at all.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 07:20   Link #303
brocko

So ah.. according to this, Arakawa DVD's are selling jack all. Same with TWOGK =(

http://animapple.blogspot.com/2010/1...-preorder.html

Are the poor sales because people are waiting for the boxsets or just because it's a 2nd season and people are taking their time after already blowing loads of money on the 1st season?

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 07:46   Link #304
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
People seems to have an intrinsic way of blaming story and characters on Shaft rather than the original authors themselves. It's like people don't do research at all.
Sorry for not reading the novel, the manga, the mangaka's biographies and interviews about the show before making a review about a SHAFT comedy with lead characters and animations who seem way too similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
So ah.. according to this, Arakawa DVD's are selling jack all. Same with TWOGK =(

Are the poor sales because people are waiting for the boxsets or just because it's a 2nd season and people are taking their time after already blowing loads of money on the 1st season?
SHAFT burned out the buyers' interest with these similar comedies and TWOGK is apparently not as good or interesting as we originally thought.

Oh yeah, and because we are going through an economical crisis. So let's just all have sex with our underage sisters (looks at Ore no Imouto charts).
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 07:47   Link #305
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

All it takes it looking at the wikipedia article...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 22:12   Link #306
brootile

Has anyone been able to find the ost's to either seasons?
brootile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 22:19   Link #307
Midonin
Last Engage

They're out there.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 04:58   Link #308
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
SHAFT burned out the buyers' interest with these similar comedies and TWOGK is apparently not as good or interesting as we originally thought.

Oh yeah, and because we are going through an economical crisis. So let's just all have sex with our underage sisters (looks at Ore no Imouto charts).
Two things I like to say:
1. SHAFT DVD sales were never good to begin with.
2. I think you're confusing Yosuga no Sora with Ore no Imouto
Old 2011-01-11, 21:44   Link #309
redgrnbluylw

So along with the OSTs, are the full version of Maria's song from season 1 and Takai's song from season 2 released? I've been looking everywhere for them, and I can't find anything.

Is there anyone who knows of this? Or is there even a full version for either of the songs at all? Because I'm starting to think the TV size versions are all theres gonna be...
redgrnbluylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 21:45   Link #310
Midonin
Last Engage

Both of those songs are on the OST. Maria's song does not have a second verse added, Takai's song does.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 23:20   Link #311
circleman

Full version of Takai's song is hilarious, especially his wailing towards the end.
circleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 23:52   Link #312
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Damn i took too long to get a hoshi sig

pity the last 2 eps they forgot about going to venus
Old 2011-01-12, 04:53   Link #313
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
pity the last 2 eps they forgot about going to venus
They didn't forget. For all we know that part of the story hasn't even made it into the manga yet.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2011-01-12 at 20:01.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 06:39   Link #314
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
They didn't forget. For all we know that part of the story hasn't even made it into the anime yet.
huh they were all weighing themselves for the trip to venus a couple of eps ago hell they even locked themselves up for a week to get ready for the shuttle ride
Old 2011-01-12, 17:51   Link #315
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
They didn't forget. For all we know that part of the story hasn't even made it into the anime yet.
Made it into the manga you mean?
Old 2011-01-12, 21:55   Link #316
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post

To be fair those numbers are pre-orders. We still might get some higher numbers from people who just want to get them without ordering.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 23:08   Link #317
brocko

^ That's reassuring to find out that it's only pre-order numbers. Maybe i should've actually read the damn thing, rather than just look at the pretty pictures and then end up looking like an idiot Damn bridge dwellers are starting to rub off on me haha

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 21:03   Link #318
achirist

I just watched the entire second season in the past week or so (though I learned since this isn't plot-heavy you don't want to actually marathon the episodes.) I still really enjoyed it, like last season. Some of my favorite moments were that woman from the office dealing with her 'death' threats and her relationship with Whitey. The manga-writing boy was also fantastic, and at least the earlier Amazon episodes were really amusing. I didn't care for the big battle in the past two episodes, and I hate Maria, but I can look beyond that.

The series didn't wrap up it's plot, but obviously that was only a secondary point here. Further, I don't think we saw any indication that this trip to Venus was possible in the reality presented in the show; we didn't see them having the equipment or realistic knowledge to carry it out. So I really didn't expect them to make it there. It would be great if they did animate whatever conclusion the manga comes to.
Old 2011-01-31, 21:11   Link #319
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
Further, I don't think we saw any indication that this trip to Venus was possible in the reality presented in the show; we didn't see them having the equipment or realistic knowledge to carry it out. So I really didn't expect them to make it there.
She isn't actually from Venus. The jokes and preparation may lead you to believe that but she is not. So far all of the hints indicate she is from a very rich family (nice dress) and for some reason she had to leave with protection (the Mayor being the protector). I would like to think she is a princess from some small country where a revolution took place.
Old 2011-01-31, 21:39   Link #320
achirist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
She isn't actually from Venus. The jokes and preparation may lead you to believe that but she is not. So far all of the hints indicate she is from a very rich family (nice dress) and for some reason she had to leave with protection (the Mayor being the protector).
Indeed; perhaps the house or town she lived in was called Venus and she just misunderstood a reference to it.

Tags
comedy, romance, seinen