AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-20, 23:40   Link #1
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

A sweet/innocent moe-centric anime

So it doesn't seem like there are many suggestion threads about moe shows, and I'm finding them hard to find, at least outside of the ones that are recommended in just about every other comedy/romance thread. I always hear about other people complaining about how there are too many moe shows on other sites but if I ask them what shows they are talking about, they have no idea .

I saw Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight recently which was a "Moe" show I missed which I thought was very good! I miss those animes with a moe main female lead / female cast with characters you can't help but fawn over. As cliche as it may sound, I think I am looking for shows with cute girls with sweet/innocent or moe personalities.

Here's a list of what I've seen that I think might get mentioned(Not necessarily a list of shows which I think are moe.)
Manabi Straight
Ichigo Mashimaro
Minami-Ke
Hidamari-Sketch
Azumanga Daioh
Sketchbook Full Colors
Doki Doki School Hours
Kyou no Go no Ni
Pani Poni Dash
Lucky Star
K-On
Air
Kanon
Clannad (If you include KyoAni's romances I guess I should include other romances that are sweet featuring innocuous casts.)
Ah! My Goddess(Belldandy was the portrait of sweetness/innocence I thought)
Ai Yori Aoshi(I was really into this for the first three episodes until it turned into a Harem. I thought Aoi was very sweet.)
Chobits(Chii was very innocent and sweet at times.)

Haruhi Suzumiya(I don't consider this terribly moe at all)

Hmm. I don't know, I guess a show with main characters that are very moe and a plot that tries to get their viewers to adore those characters by showing their goodness or cuteness/innocence would be a good suggestion.
Old 2009-07-20, 23:45   Link #2
jedinat

Kamichu!
Potemayo
Kokoro Toshokan
Old 2009-07-21, 00:01   Link #3
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Toradora!
Clannad: after story

Higurashi has some moe characters but it's not innocent at all :P
Old 2009-07-21, 00:04   Link #4
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Cardcaptor Sakura
Whisper of the Heart
Kiki's Delivery Service
Old 2009-07-21, 00:15   Link #5
Shadow Kira01

These weren't listed..

Kannagi
Tayutama
Old 2009-07-21, 00:43   Link #6
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I just want to add that you have amazing taste for liking my second favorite anime of all time, Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!
Old 2009-07-21, 00:45   Link #7
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

I really like the suggestions so far! Potemayo looks like an anime I need to watch very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post

Higurashi has some moe characters but it's not innocent at all :P
I would have to agree . It was definitely more of a horror show than innocent or cute. I want tons of cuteness in the show and moe characters everywhere!

I've seen Toradora and Kannagi. They've got the Tsundere sort of cute but I'm thinking of the traditional "Aww how cute/sweet" sort of cute for this thread. In other words instead of three parts tsun and one part dere, at least give me two parts tsun and two parts dere. I.E.I.E. They were a bit angsty .

もっと かわいい ください !。
(More cuteness please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I just want to add that you have amazing taste for liking my second favorite anime of all time, Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!
Old 2009-07-21, 01:30   Link #8
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Then cardcaptor Sakura is your thing...unfortunately, my moe list runs short
Old 2009-07-23, 04:56   Link #9
cerrian

eh, probably Aria...I almost never see anyone mention it as being moe but it clearly has many moe elements. I suspect that it's calm, slice-of-life aspects are what most people truly remember Aria for.

There's also To Heart, but it is a bit older than most of the stuff you listed.
Old 2009-07-23, 21:39   Link #10
GreatTeacherKen

Nanatsuiro Drops might be worth a look. It turned out a lot better than I initially thought it would be. It's a very sweet and innocent magical girl love story. And the female lead is very moe.
Old 2009-07-24, 00:33   Link #11
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You've got some great choices listed there, to which I would add the wonderful Petopeto-san. It's definitely moe, but extraordinarily well-written and deeper than you think when you're watching it. It's a rare find, a true gem.
Old 2009-07-24, 02:09   Link #12
npcomplete

You definitely want to check out Binbou Shimai Monogatari
Old 2009-07-24, 06:53   Link #13
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Well all I can add is some new animes airing atm which are Kanamemo and GA - Geijutsuka Art Design Class

and maybe Taishou Yakyuu Musume, even if its not moe enough its just a brilliant show this season and worth the watch my fav show atm

now not quite what is asked but since you've seen Azumanga Daioh I have to recommend a manga from the same author, Yotsuba&!
A series that is better than Azumanga Daioh and better than every other manga there is, its just a real pity it has no anime yet
Old 2009-07-24, 10:36   Link #14
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Then cardcaptor Sakura is your thing...unfortunately, my moe list runs short
hey that show in your sig...the name escapes me right now...is it actually any good? My friend has been bugging me to watch it, she says it gets better. I remember seeing the first two episodes and thinking that it was retarded
Old 2009-07-26, 02:47   Link #15
npcomplete

I forgot to add: Binchou-tan

Binchou-tan Special (official music video):
Old 2009-07-26, 09:39   Link #16
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
You should just watch Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

It's simultaneously moe and awesome.
Old 2009-07-26, 10:30   Link #17
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Moetan?

Old 2009-07-26, 21:15   Link #18
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well... near as I can tell, "moe" is a complicated emotion and means different things to different people.

When people complain about "Moe" shows they probably mean a specific genre with a certain type of animation and plot tropes that to many seems particularly manipulative. Since it requires a bunch of girls, harem shows often try to have "moe" aspect. (Zero no Tsukaima for example is probably "moe"- although not what you are looking for, as it's not only harem, but also rather naughty.)

I've liked a few "moe" shows like K-On and Lucky Star, (and Ah My Goddess- never thought of it as "moe" before) but mostly I like other shows with greater depth, or more plot.

The only thing that comes to my mind is Kimugare Orange Road. Which is a lot older than the "moe" phenomenon, but now that I think about it does have some "moe" elements. It's a shounen romance, and not as fluffy as K-On, or even Lucky Star. However, it does have a certain innocence about it (from the first dozen episodes I've seen). If you are classifying Ah My Goddess as moe, then maybe it's worth checking out.

Straying a little further from the typical "moe" slice of life, but still with a strong element of innocence would be something like Cross Game. Personally I suspect you'd just love it, particularly Wakaba and Kou.

It's really a coming of age story, all about life, death, and baseball. Think The Wonder Years meets Field of Dreams.
Old 2009-07-27, 01:47   Link #19
ginran
~Smile~

Digi Charat not sure if it's been listed, but its very innocent and moe. The main character goes around with her friends and does good deeds to make people happy. I've only seen Panyo Panyo Digi Charat though, so I'm not sure how the other ones are, but I would recommend at least that one.
Shugo Chara
Aria think this one was said already, but I'll second it. It's really relaxing and the characters are very moe.

Thanks to Yuka-Chan for the sig!
Old 2009-07-27, 10:04   Link #20
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Since nobody' suggested it... How about the outstanding Pita Ten?
Closed Thread