AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2017-01-19, 19:59   Link #1
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Romanization for Japanese slangs used in anime titles

Hi there,

I've always wondered how are Japanese slang words romanized when they are in a title. The common consensus I've been seeing is how in Hebon-shiki romanization, the particles' first letter isn't caps while the rest are.

Then we have anime titles that has slang involved in them like the currently airing title 小林さんちのメイドラゴン which have lead me to wonder how are slang romanized. I've tried googling but I couldn't really find any results(or consensus on it) so I'll like to ask: Is there a general consensus on how slang are romanized?
Old 2017-01-25, 10:51   Link #2
VORTIA

I'm not sure I'm following you. Are we discussing slang terms or particles? Japanese or Western usage? Japanese usage of capital letters tends to be all over the place, and appears primarily a stylistic choice.

I normally do not capitalize particles when I type out a Japanese title in romaji (ex. Kobayashi-san no Maid Dragon), as particles like a, and & the are not capitalized in titles in English. I make no distinctions for slang terms.
VORTIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-25, 14:20   Link #3
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

Technically none of those are particles in English. And/the are articles, and and is just a conjunction. You should be thinking of words like "of" or "to" (in sentences like "to run" rather than "going to Tokyo"). Irrelevant to what you were saying, but the more you know.

What the OP is talking about is how to romanize titles when they include slang. Like the title he gave. Or if someone were to say "orenchi" (lots of people in Diamond is Unbreakable say this one... orenchi = ore no uchi/my house). Some of the ways that Japan shortens and changes things for informality make it difficult to tell how they should be romanized. I'm pretty sure that's what he/she's talking about.

Personally, I'd just go with "Kobayashi-sanchi no Meidoragon" or just ditch all capitalization after Kobayashi, but I don't always use popular romanization rules, so you probably shouldn't ask me.

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-02, 02:07   Link #4
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Antares- View Post
Technically none of those are particles in English. And/the are articles, and and is just a conjunction. You should be thinking of words like "of" or "to" (in sentences like "to run" rather than "going to Tokyo"). Irrelevant to what you were saying, but the more you know.

What the OP is talking about is how to romanize titles when they include slang. Like the title he gave. Or if someone were to say "orenchi" (lots of people in Diamond is Unbreakable say this one... orenchi = ore no uchi/my house). Some of the ways that Japan shortens and changes things for informality make it difficult to tell how they should be romanized. I'm pretty sure that's what he/she's talking about.

Personally, I'd just go with "Kobayashi-sanchi no Meidoragon" or just ditch all capitalization after Kobayashi, but I don't always use popular romanization rules, so you probably shouldn't ask me.
I thought no one bothered to reply me so I just only saw this. Sorry for the late reply here but yea, the bolded part of your quote is what I'm exactly talking about that the other person seem to misunderstand.

Going back to the point, won't the -sanchi here looks weird? Since さん is an honorific suffix here as compared to your example, where 俺 here is a pronoun.

I really hope someone can shed some light on this in any case :|