AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-09-06, 14:55   Link #1
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Devil May Cry 4

So both IGN and Gamespot have revealed that there's supposed to be a big announcement concerning DMC4 Friday. In addition, IGN (citing Famitsu) is claiming that the main character will not be Dante, but a new character named Nero that looks like Dante with a few color changes and a slightly less agressive face. Scans of the Famitsu article can be found here: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions...?union_id=DMCS

The IGN story (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/730/730818p1.html) does mention that many aspects of DMC3 will return (combo system, cutscenes director)- I was pleased to see that they partly seem to be adhering to a "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" philosophy since DMC3 ranks as my favorite action game of all time, but it strikes me as bizarre that Dante won't be the lead...

Thoughts? More info?

Last edited by wsheit; 2006-09-06 at 16:08.
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 00:36   Link #2
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
I hope Nero doesn't become the Raiden of DMC. Why go with a complete unknown when Dante is awesome as it is. I hope Nero is a heartless bastard or something, id love that . As long as the gameplay is still as good as DMC3 and I can choose a tough difficulty from the start ill be happy.

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 00:56   Link #3
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Oh. My. God.

Thoughts? So is this Nero Angelo? Vergil using that alias, or someone else? Is he really still alive after the events of DMC1?

DMC3 was by far the best game ever for me. I hope DMC4 lives up to the hype, and is a worthy successor.

Whoa. More info:

- Nero is a knight within the Order of the Demon Blade, a religious order which protects the secrets and powers of demons from the world.
- There's no indication that he is the Vergil that we know from DMC3 and DMC1.
- The game is set in a huge city known as Fortuna.
- The people here believe that Sparda is a god, and the Order that Nero works for wants to undo Sparda's seal.
- It is for this purpose that Nero ends up in this city, but here his entire unit is slaughtered by the demon hunter Dante.

Also: Dante looks ripped in this game. O_O

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2006-09-07 at 01:08.
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 01:08   Link #4
makeyourself
itadakimasu!

Send a message via MSN to makeyourself
I'm not a very big fan of DMC, but I'll say that [I think] the second one was one of the hardest games I have played [or it may have been the 3rd installment]. The games are pretty cool, I'd like to see what they come up with in the 4th DMC.
makeyourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 07:42   Link #5
MeganeShounen
Huh?

The world went topsyturvy... former hero went nuts... and there's a new hero in town that's the opposite of the former hero?

Hey, I'm a fan of .hack//G.U.'s plotline, so it's all cool to me. The graphics look awesome as well. Although it is on the PS3...
MeganeShounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 08:02   Link #6
Shay
Monarch Programmer

It's a bitch that us Europeans have to wait till March 07.

Nevertheless, I am a big fan of the DMC series (well 1&3) and this all looks awesome, I can't wait!

IMO Nero sounds cool. If he's anything like the Roman Emperor then bring it on! lol
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 10:26   Link #7
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

The promised update on DMC4 turned out to be a revamping of the japanese website with content coming soon. The one thing that I can glean from the website (this is original analysis unlikely to be found anywhere else, folks ) is that both Nero AND Dante will be playable. As the site stands now, you can go to either a Dante sub-front page or a Nero sub-front page. Each page has slots for 3 screenshots to be released the 15th. It seems unlikely that there would be screenshots for Dante unless he was playable. Frankly, this seems like a predictable direction for the game to take in terms of production values. DMC3 special edition added a second player, of course, but his controls weren't nearly as deep as Dante's. In addition, he didn't have his own cutscenes or perspective in the story. Perhaps capcom is trying to both keep Dante and add a second character with deep controls and a full story.

BTW- Gamestop is hinting that Nero is Vergil. Since the original Famitsu article appears to refute this, Gamespot appears to be out of their frickin' minds. I've never seen GS coverage as bad as this- they were skimpy on details the other day, too- IGN beat them to the punch.

GS link: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157312.html

Japanese DMC4 site: http://www.capcom.co.jp/devil4/main.html

Dante sub page: http://www.capcom.co.jp/devil4/main.html

Last edited by wsheit; 2006-09-08 at 10:59.
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 10:58   Link #8
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Yeah, Nero isn't Vergil.

Dante didn't go nuts because he killed humans, he killed them to prevent Sparda's power from falling into the wrong hands. That's what he has been doing (well, after his stint in the tower in 3, though).

I'm curious as to how Nero's hand works like it does, though.

Also: Vergil's addition in DMC3 was great. True, he didn't play as deep as Dante, as he lacked interchanging Styles, but Phantom Swords, DarkSlayer and his own moves were perfectly suited for his way of combat. Dante and Vergil really play differently, but the differences are what makes them so fun to play. True, he didn't have his own cutscenes or perspective (only Vergil's opening movie wtf), but his control scheme, while relatively simple, still makes for intensive combat madness.
Old 2006-09-08, 11:04   Link #9
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhjegel
Also: Vergil's addition in DMC3 was great. True, he didn't play as deep as Dante, as he lacked interchanging Styles, but Phantom Swords, DarkSlayer and his own moves were perfectly suited for his way of combat. Dante and Vergil really play differently, but the differences are what makes them so fun to play. True, he didn't have his own cutscenes or perspective (only Vergil's opening movie wtf), but his control scheme, while relatively simple, still makes for intensive combat madness.
Don't get me wrong- I loved the addition of Vergil as a playable character. I was playing as him again just the other day. I'm merely noting that capcom has room to add another character as deep in both control and story as Dante.
Old 2006-09-08, 13:10   Link #10
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

True. I guess I may have gone a bit over my head with that.

It looks like Nero carries a revolver as his gun. I knew they'd implement a revolver into DMC eventually.
Old 2006-09-08, 13:25   Link #11
ZODDGUTS

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118243

Looks pretty damn good.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 13:38   Link #12
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

God, oh god.

And I thought I had abandoned console gaming forever. Time to leech off my friend's PS2 and turn into a crazy combo machine again. SSStylish, here I come!
Old 2006-09-08, 14:27   Link #13
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Best site I've yet seen for screenshots:

The comparison to DMC ps2 screenshots is particularly telling. True, they compare it to the first DMC, but I've heard that polygon counts haven't really changed much throughout the series.
Old 2006-09-08, 16:34   Link #14
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
Best site I've yet seen for screenshots:

The comparison to DMC ps2 screenshots is particularly telling. True, they compare it to the first DMC, but I've heard that polygon counts haven't really changed much throughout the series.
lol You do know you posted the same website that I did earlier.

Anyways I wonder if Nero is related to Dante they look so much alike maybe.... Dun dun dun long lost brother?
Old 2006-09-08, 16:46   Link #15
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS
lol You do know you posted the same website that I did earlier.

Anyways I wonder if Nero is related to Dante they look so much alike maybe.... Dun dun dun long lost brother?
uh.....oops...let's just say it's been a long day at work and stop at that

Or maybe I just wanted to post the link again to make double-sure that nobody would miss it!....yeah, I'm going with that.
Old 2006-09-08, 17:36   Link #16
ZODDGUTS

lol okay.

New screenshots:
http://img46.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_557lo.jpg

A recent Video Interview with the Producer and Director of DMC4: But it's only in Japanese.
http://www.famitsu.com/fwtv/?659687
Old 2006-09-24, 08:00   Link #17
cyw1988
Japaholic

Send a message via MSN to cyw1988
I watched the trailer on youtube... and I am thinking Gundam seed Destiny... Kira=Dante and Shinn=Nero!! the girl... she has "come kill me" written all over her. My bet, girl dies and this sparks off dante vs nero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0q0cU7CYTA

for those who haven seen it...
cyw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 08:36   Link #18
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Goddamn. DMC4 definitely looks kick ass!

Here's my thoughts. It seems as if Dante does portray the role of the more experienced bad guy, and Nero plays the role of the newbie striving to find his own path. In a sense, it's like Dante is Kira and Nero is Shinn. However, I think that the girl plays a role similar to either Arkham, or Lady.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2006-09-24 at 08:56.
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 03:07   Link #19
cyw1988
Japaholic

Send a message via MSN to cyw1988
The girl will probably play the role similar to that of stellar who fueled the hate between shinn and Kira.

Note: the part where Dante taunts an injured Nero and Nero says "Now I know what this hand is for, its to send ppl like you back to hell!!" Really awesome stuff.

I am hoping for a two disc special that plays out like RE2 ie. Dante one disc and nero the other. But they better do a better job than DMC2... >_<
cyw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 14:25   Link #20
sailor skywalker

Send a message via MSN to sailor skywalker
the trailer is really great and the lil fight is great
where Dante gets two boots in his face
And from the music heard from the trailer
it will be o good sound track
sailor skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote