AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about spoilers?
Hate them!!! 37 44.58%
Indifferent towards them 28 33.73%
Enjoy reading them 18 21.69%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-12-08, 19:14   Link #1
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

How do you feel about spoilers?

Recently I was confronted with an issue about spoilers. To many, they are a plague, but some people actually enjoy reading spoilers to get a feel for a show before watching it and some don't feel any particular way about them.

How do you feel about spoilers? Personally, I think you should ALWAYS warn about spoilers and I never, EVER read them. Shows like True Tears were ruined for me because I had been spoiled for who the main character would choose in the end.
Deus ex Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 19:20   Link #2
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I'm fine with spoilers, but there are some stories where I prefer no spoiling at all and some others where I'd like to have spoilers.

I'd avoid spoilers for climaxes and last episodes.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 19:22   Link #3
Theowne
耳をすませば

On this forum or in general?

On the forum, I think all posts with spoilers should be marked a such. But, I know that no one will follow the rules to a tee so I don't usually open threads that may contain them. I think there's a difference between writing about a show and posting spoilers - I could write about True Tears, the general plot and atmosphere without giving away the ending or any significant moments.

But in general though, it's hard to avoid spoilers and often just while looking for something about a show I'm interested in, I will stumble across a spoiler.

Something I don't understand is why reviews of anime, especially on blogs, so frequently contain spoilers. Reviews are supposed to be aimed at potential viewers, right? So I'm guessing they don't want to know the ending....which is why I write most of my reviews from a neutral standpoint and then dedicate the last portion to spoiler-filled content.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 19:28   Link #4
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

I'm talking about big, glaring, major spoilers that aren't warned or tagged at all. And in general.
Deus ex Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 19:46   Link #5
greatpower2

Depends on if some jerk posts spoilers in the comments list without having a spoiler alert on it, or if it has a big ol SPOILER ALERT on it.
greatpower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 19:49   Link #6
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
I'm talking about big, glaring, major spoilers that aren't warned or tagged at all. And in general.
Like the conclusion of a love triangle. I was "spoiled" in Kimagure Orange Road - I was trying to find reviews to decide if it was worth my time or not. The first review opened by telling the reader what the outcome was. Thanks. Then again, that show wasn't really a love triangle and it was obvious from the first few episodes, so it wasn't that great of a loss. True Tears would be worse, I imagine.

And forget completed anime, spoilers seem to run loose in those threads, as if because the show is over, there is no need to post spoilers in warnings, eh?

Even when people don't post spoilers, they often speak in ways that hint at the way the show ends. Even without meaning to, they could cause a spoiler.

Overall, I would just abstain from reading any material related to an anime if I don't want to be spoiled about it. I personally dislike knowing the outcome of a series before watching it - it substantially changes the way you watch and experience the story.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2008-12-08 at 20:02.
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 19:58   Link #7
Autumn Demon
~

Spoilers are rampant on these forums. Just clicking on the School Days sub-forum and reading thread titles will spoil the entire show (don't try this if you haven't seen the series already!).
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 20:03   Link #8
Liddo-kun
is this so?

I avoid spoilers in general.

Sometime ago on my friend's anime forum, there was a guy who posted advanced information on the Code Geass R2 thread about Emperor Lelouch trying to join the UFN. It was a minor spoiler but I was annoyed at the attitude of the poster because he was proud (and insisted) that the advanced information he posted was accurate.

Thankfully, animesuki has stricter rules about spoilers.
I can usually go to the latest episode thread, without fear of info about future events.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 20:43   Link #9
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I usually avoid spoilers like the plague.

Quote:
And forget completed anime, spoilers seem to run loose in those threads, as if because the show is over, there is no need to post spoilers in warnings, eh?
I can't say I have a problem with that, after all if I haven't watched a series I won't start reading its thread from the last page. As you said, the best way to avoid spoilers is not to read any material related to the anime which can be tricky in the blogosphere. Which is why I visit blogs pretty much only when a new season starts to read first episode evaluations which can't really include any serious spoilers.

Quote:
Spoilers are rampant on these forums. Just clicking on the School Days sub-forum and reading thread titles will spoil the entire show (don't try this if you haven't seen the series already!).
Actually this forum has a very rigid anti-spoiler policy which I for one have yet to see anywhere else. It's not ideal but then again nothing is. You can enter the Higurashi or Death Note forum and not only not get spoiled just by the thread titles but if you feel like it you can also read the episode threads each time you finish watching an episode and not get spoiled (although this demands a lot of attention to dates of the posts ). I am mentioning these two titles since they are the type of series where a spoiler can be totally devastating for the enjoyment of the viewer.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 20:51   Link #10
Oxtail

If you do not want to be spoiled, don't go into sub-forums for the anime series. Don't read blog posts, and for heaven sakes don't go to Wikipedia. Get your synopsis off ANN or Myanimelist or something and don't look at anything else.

Why would someone go into the School Days forum and expect to see threads that aren't spoilers? What's the point in even discussing School Days without mentioning the "big thing" that makes people want to talk about the show?

I personally search for spoilers on series I've finished that might be ongoing in a manga or novel format.

For new shows I don't want to be spoiled on, I just don't click on their links. I haven't seen Kannagi episode 10 yet, so I haven't clicked on that thread. It's not too hard and most people on this board are pretty considerate about hiding their spoilers.
Oxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 21:10   Link #11
LeoXiao
思想工作

I like reading spoilers even though sometimes it's better not to, but whenever i watch or read anything and get interested in it I will almost always spoil myself. While I don't think this ruins the material for me, I have the feeling I shouldn't read spoilers so much.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 21:35   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its really hard to consider series that have been out and complete to be "spoilable" because sometimes in compare and contrast critique its really hard to avoid.

Series that are still airing -- its much easier to tag spoilage (from source material, watched raw, etc). Series with subforums are easier to manage as well.... its the series with only single threads where it gets rather difficult.
Old 2008-12-08, 21:39   Link #13
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I love spoiling myself. Whenever a show is adapted from manga or games, i will check out everything first, from the history of the characters to the ending(if there is an ending). I think i should stop doing that, because I no longer enjoy the show as much as I used to. Whenever something happens in the anime, i will say "Haha, i knew it!"
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 21:50   Link #14
Cherudim Arche

I am generally alright with any spoiler that is put up. Images are usually good, unless they leak more than it should. There is only so much you can do with images, unless it marks a very major event change. A spoiler that tells the rest of the storyline of roughly would be something I would avoid. Series does matter a lot, for some use it better than other, some actually let you speculate, others you can also judge the episode before seeing it. Code Geass does reveal more than it should, which can kill the anticipation, if there ever was one.

I think it is good to skim and see what spoiler there is, just to get the tidbits, rather than read through to find out exactly how it goes from start to finish.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 00:17   Link #15
MuraKami
Phase Angle

I avoid topics on on-going series, with spoilers or not. Anyway, I will be watching the show with some hours difference, and I usually am not interested in guessing or overanalyses per episode, before I could form my opinion for the anime as a whole.

However, topics requiring higher knowledge on series, kind of suffer - after all, the discussion becomes overburdened minding people who haven't watched many series or usually stick to specific genres.

Anyway, I read about series I plan watching and I honestly haven't noticed a spoiler or a lack of one to make me reconsider my decision or ruin the show. Details or interpretations in spoilers are based on individual perception. Sometimes spoilers could help, if the info on the series is generally scarce, but then again, being in a spoiler or not doesn't affect significantly series 2 seasons older (at least).

I voted indifferent, though I tend to dislike them when overused.
MuraKami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 05:33   Link #16
Tiran86

If it's a series I care about, or one I'm interested in, I hate them and will get pissed if spoiled. I usually avoid discussions where I'm liable to get spoiled though.

However, there have been a few cases, where a spoiler is the only reason I watch a series. This was the case for school days.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 05:42   Link #17
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Like the conclusion of a love triangle. I was "spoiled" in Kimagure Orange Road - I was trying to find reviews to decide if it was worth my time or not. The first review opened by telling the reader what the outcome was. Thanks. Then again, that show wasn't really a love triangle and it was obvious from the first few episodes, so it wasn't that great of a loss. True Tears would be worse, I imagine.
Actually, sometime everything becomes more obvious and clear after it was being spoiled but not so if you were not.
Like when finished True Tears, i didn't expect the outcome in the ending. But when rewatched some screens, it suddenly become too obvious (was like "damn, how could i miss this").
Old 2008-12-09, 06:18   Link #18
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Depends what the spoiler is. If it's some plot twist that a certain character will turn to other side (good to bad for example) I would rather see that without knowing because the level of surprise will definitely be larger that way. But some things, like love triangles, I can't stand it. I want to be spoiled and to know who ends up with who, and, if I could, before I even begin to watch the series. That way I can watch anime with ease and not be frustrated with some scenes, where I wouldn't normally know what will happen, so I would add comment like ''Damn it you moron, just say it already!'' =)
Old 2008-12-09, 08:01   Link #19
cyth
Banned

I consider myself to be hyper-sensitive to spoiling, which is one of the reasons I don't participate in forum discussions anymore. On my IRC channel I try to encourage people to write everything content-related inside spoiler tags. Some folks don't understand that mentioning even non-plot-related events or nuances, for example typing "urusai urusai urusai" as to pay tribute to a certain event from Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu can spoil part of the fun for some people, like myself. So my opinion is, if you feel the need to assert yourself like that, be as discrete as possible, and always do it inside spoiler tags.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 11:45   Link #20
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I enjoy reading spoilers I don't have problems with getting spoiled . If I really do want to avoid a spoiler really bad I just avoid the respective thread . I usually watch anime series at one go so I avoid the thread till it happens .