Notices

Old 2007-09-04, 08:22   Link #21
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Which ones...
Old 2007-09-04, 09:09   Link #22
Tiberium Wolf

I don't think it's important for other ppl to know.
Old 2007-09-04, 09:31   Link #23
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I see. You can always submit a report at https://bug.opera.com/wizard/
I asked because if it was some random public site I would have submitted the report for you.

As for your FF problems. Try making sure everything is uninstalled. If I remember correctly FF's uninstall doesn't ask you if you want to remove settings and for most programs this usually means settings aren't deleted.

So if you had a setting somewhere either corrupted or just set to delete private data on exit you could re-install FF a dozen times and see no effect.
Old 2007-09-04, 11:08   Link #24
Tiberium Wolf

Edit: I hunted down all files in "Documents and Settings" and ccleaner reg. Let's hope this time it will be ok.

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2007-09-04 at 11:26.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 15:35   Link #25
Irvine
Awesome Member

I come across it every once in awhile, but that's when it actually freezes (which isn't too often).
Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 17:29   Link #26
Epsilon
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Epsilon
have you tried using 'lolifox' instead? I don't know if it's any different but it hardly ever crashes often and when it does i can always continue what i'm doing
Old 2007-09-04, 20:03   Link #27
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
have you tried using 'lolifox' instead? I don't know if it's any different but it hardly ever crashes often and when it does i can always continue what i'm doing
It's exactly the same as Firefox, it only has a theme (stupidly simple) and a couple of bookmarked sites and RSS feeds, nothing too different.

For the record, Tiberium Wolf, seems like you completely missed what I mentioned about being able to make any program "crash" just by killing the process, without having to wait for it to crash on its own. Just to save you some time

PS: @Cats. I know Opera is good, but the fact that it remains closed source bothers me. And now I'm just too used to the Firefox way of rendering... I know that, in terms of speed, they come close, but since FF holds on a bit and then displays everything at once (unlike Opera which renders by pieces) it just gives me the 'feeling' of it being a bit faster... or at least I'm more comfortable with having the whole page load at once.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 00:02   Link #28
Tiberium Wolf

My FF crashed again. While browsing in the tab of the options it freezed. The system wouldn't even terminate the process... Cache lost again.

Edit: I think it was gamespot download manager. It was browser integrated. It must have screwed the system somehow.

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2007-09-05 at 00:50.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 01:25   Link #29
hipeach

do you lose your cache every time the system crashes or just once in a while? For me most of the time the browser exited abnormally (system crash, broswer freeze, terminate process, etc.) when I restart it and restore session, it loads everything back perfectly. But only during a few times that the whole system freezes, and I have to manually reset or power down the system, that around 1/5 of the time the cache is lost and I restored to a blank page. This happens with both Firefox and Opera for me.

So Tiberium Wolf you can try what WanderingKnight said, just try terminate the Firefox process with the process manager to simulate an abnormal exit and see if Firefox can restore from it okay, or the cache is only lost during certain system freeze and reboot. If it's the latter case, I doubt it's the browser's fault, since I've seen it with both Firefox and Opera. But then maybe you have something that causes your system to freeze more frequently.
hipeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 02:38   Link #30
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
PS: @Cats. I know Opera is good, but the fact that it remains closed source bothers me. And now I'm just too used to the Firefox way of rendering... I know that, in terms of speed, they come close, but since FF holds on a bit and then displays everything at once (unlike Opera which renders by pieces) it just gives me the 'feeling' of it being a bit faster... or at least I'm more comfortable with having the whole page load at once.
Actually if you go to Tools » Preferences » Advanced » Browsing, you have a Loading option.
You can set the Redraw speed there.

The fact they're closed source doesn't mean their some cheapo company.
And if they were OSS it wouldn't make them better.

In the OSS world the most popular team wins... not the best team. If say Opera became OSS, Firefox would just steal their code. Then you would see people from Op migrate to FF, and eventually, Opera would die out. And what good did all that do: the original developers and vision was lost in favor of making it OSS, yay!

But you could say: it's OSS now so everyone can pick up where they left. But then, if "everyone" could pick it up so easily browsers like Firefox would already be the fastest...

I agree making OSS things that aren't available in any form, is a good thing...
But for some things, I'd rather have them in good hands and damn closed source.
Old 2007-09-05, 02:40   Link #31
Tiberium Wolf

OK I just terminated the FF process. I check the cache dir it was still there. I run FF. Check cache dir still there. Load a page in FF. Cache deleted.
Old 2007-09-05, 02:48   Link #32
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Remove all your extensions, see if it makes a difference.
Old 2007-09-05, 03:07   Link #33
Tiberium Wolf

LOL... I only have 1 Adblock plus and 2 default.
Old 2007-09-05, 04:47   Link #34
hipeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
OK I just terminated the FF process. I check the cache dir it was still there. I run FF. Check cache dir still there. Load a page in FF. Cache deleted.
hmm, so what do you set in the options -> main -> when firefox starts? change it to "show my windows and tabs last time" to see any difference?
Old 2007-09-05, 04:54   Link #35
Tiberium Wolf

Hum? I don't want to load anything when it starts. It's annoying since it will be loading something unnecessary. I always start with blank. I don't think the problem is here.
Old 2007-09-05, 05:19   Link #36
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the best thing to do now is go post on the firefox official website. they have a forum for problems/bug issues.

Sounds like the problem is your computer/directories and not firefox itself.
I would uninstall firefox and then DELETE all the files. even if you uninstall, the files and preferences still remain on your computer.
I would then check to make sure internet explorer is installed/upgraded to the current version because windows needs some internet explorer functions.

extensions will cause firefox to crash so get rid of them for now. however most of the time if an extension crashes firefox will freeze and the little loading sign loops forever or you will get the even reciever error I was talking about before. you can try to install a 1.xx version and see if it runs properly or install firefox on a different harddrive.

you are using current windows XP right? not some cracked version neither or vista. and you are downloading the official firefox, not some modified version.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 05:27   Link #37
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
the best thing to do now is go post on the firefox official website. they have a forum for problems/bug issues.
Too much bother to go to another forum.

Quote:
Sounds like the problem is your computer/directories and not firefox itself.
I would uninstall firefox and then DELETE all the files. even if you uninstall, the files and preferences still remain on your computer.
I would then check to make sure internet explorer is installed/upgraded to the current version because windows needs some internet explorer functions.
I did go the Documents and Settings dir and deleted all FF entries for the user I am using(admin user). IE 6.X... I don't use it anyway. Plus I've run ccleaner to clean the reg.

Quote:
extensions will cause firefox to crash so get rid of them for now. however most of the time if an extension crashes firefox will freeze and the little loading sign loops forever or you will get the even reciever error I was talking about before. you can try to install a 1.xx version and see if it runs properly or install firefox on a different harddrive.
Are you telling me that adblock plus that a lot of ppl in this forum uses is generating the problem?

Quote:
you are using current windows XP right? not some cracked version neither or vista. and you are downloading the official firefox, not some modified version.
Yes... win xp sp2. Not cracked or vista. FF from official site.
Old 2007-09-05, 08:26   Link #38
hipeach

Quote:
Hum? I don't want to load anything when it starts. It's annoying since it will be loading something unnecessary. I always start with blank. I don't think the problem is here.
well, what I'm suggesting is that you try change the start page to "show my windows and tabs last time" and see what happens, which may help isolating the problem. since you said you start with blank page and all the cache are there, then loading another page clears all the cache, so maybe you can try make Firefox automatically load previous pages and see whether the cache got automatically cleared or not.
Old 2007-09-05, 08:39   Link #39
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Too much bother to go to another forum.
Well, I took a moment to visit bugzilla.mozilla.org and searched for "firefox cache". The very first entry concerns this problem, and it dates back to 2001 (concerning at that time the original Mozilla, aka "SeaMonkey", browser). Discussions over the cause of and cure for this problem continue to the present day.

While it's unfortunate that Firefox doesn't handle crashes cleanly, the bigger question is what is causing your system to crash or freeze in the first place? Not using Windows myself, I can't say for sure, but I doubt the problem is either Firefox itself or the Adblock extension. Do you see these crashes with other programs besides Firefox, especially programs that use lots of memory like Office, Photoshop, or the like? Do you have enough disk space so the swap file can expand as needed? Do you have more than 256M of memory? I found that XP isn't really happy running in less than 512M, especially if you're using programs that are memory hogs.

I'm not claiming Firefox doesn't have bugs; we all know that it (and every other complex piece of software ever written) has them. But the real issue is why is the system crashing at all? I know that many Windows users have gotten accustomed to events like these, but I found XP to be pretty stable if it has enough memory and disk space to work in.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 15:27   Link #40
Tiberium Wolf

I only experienced these crashes after I installed gamespot dl manager and then tabula rasa beta (mentioned in earlier posts). I did uninstall them but as always windows must have left something that nothing can find.
Besides my system is powerfull enough:
e6600, 250 GB+500GB+160Gb HDDs, XFX 8800 GTS 320M, 2GB gskill (800mhz)ram, extreme engine 3T case(250mm side+140mm front).

Tags
browsers, firefox