AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

View Poll Results: Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 8 25.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 6 19.35%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 0 0%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 19.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 12.90%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 6.45%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 3.23%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-19, 04:05   Link #41
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
The movie didn't exactly look stellar to me, either, and that too was (largely) a Manglobe production (which is why I had my
The movie was the first sign... the season will be like this...
Old 2012-10-19, 04:36   Link #42
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
The movie was the first sign... the season will be like this...
That's not a laughing matter, you know... First they get rid of the narrator, then they design the characters awfully. So far the only thing that I've really liked are the short in-betweens with Ruka while she acts on the stage, but they even messed up her design... Look how she looks in the 1st episode and how in the 3rd... >_<
Old 2012-10-19, 12:49   Link #43
MogMoogle1
Idol Power!

HINA EPISODE!!! <3

This episode feels very "last episode"-ish. Seems like this season is gradually getting better with each episode.
Old 2012-10-19, 18:55   Link #44
Strygwyr
Attention Queen killer.
*IT Support

Just watched episode 3. Cute episode <3. Hayate's POV of a scary sleeping Hinagiku face was well done by Manglobe o.e.
Old 2012-10-19, 22:32   Link #45
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Yeah, count me the fuck out.

Animation was borderline awful, direction was bad, and the music was pretty crap too.

I really don't care what happens at this point, maybe I'll jump back in when they tease A-Tan, otherwise I think this entire season is going down the shitter.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2012-10-20, 02:07   Link #46
Kakkou
Tch.

You know the production quality is less than stellar when the studio can't even bother animating a SD character segment properly.

Anyway, I've had it. I'd much rather sit through half a year of the first season's original content than this. Those were actually fun. This episode by itself was kind of okay, but felt utterly shoehorned for the sheer sake or it. There's virtually nothing about the Hayate anime series form both seasons that I enjoyed in this new one. I'll check back another time to see if this thing is even worth wasting time on.
Old 2012-10-20, 04:44   Link #47
Dr. Casey

So damn confused. I enjoy the artwork just fine - a lot more than the artwork for the second season, honestly - but it's being universally panned by even non-critical people like relentless. Weird expressions like the one Chaos posted were sprinkled throughout the episode, but otherwise I thought the artwork was perfectly fine and find it strange that I'm seemingly the only person who thinks so. As I said before, pretty confused.
Old 2012-10-20, 05:14   Link #48
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
So damn confused. I enjoy the artwork just fine - a lot more than the artwork for the second season, honestly - but it's being universally panned by even non-critical people like relentless. Weird expressions like the one Chaos posted were sprinkled throughout the episode, but otherwise I thought the artwork was perfectly fine and find it strange that I'm seemingly the only person who thinks so. As I said before, pretty confused.
Are you a manga reader? If you’re not, you might be a little bit confused with some of the complains here. Anime-only fans might only complain about the artwork, but that’s actually the least of my concern. I have more problem with continuity issues (considering that they said this was manga canon yet shifting the order of events), poor timing and execution for the humor (the chapter adapted by this ep is actually a lot more funnier than what we get), and really below-average music/score/OST/BGM/whatever you call it.

And I can’t really say anything about Season 2 since I’ve never watched it, but from the glimpses of some episodes, I might have to agree with you that the artwork & animation is the worst of them all.
Old 2012-10-20, 05:29   Link #49
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

From what I recall, this was supposed to be an anime-original script, so either the author got lazy and took some stuff from the manga after all or Manglobe really wanted to animate the manga more.
Old 2012-10-20, 05:58   Link #50
Sol Falling

Seems obvious to me that it was moreso because Hata/Manglobe/whoever's funding this production thought that it would be necessary to pander to the former anime fanbase from the previous seasons. So rather than just continuing with whatever new storyline they thought up, they also threw in a random (or rather, not so random; this was a pretty decent chapter in the original timeline as far as Hina/Hayate's relationship and Hina's character development went) Hina chapter as a cheap attempt to appeal to previous popularity.

Although I probably would've preferred for this anime to have simply continued where the previous two seasons left off, I was still essentially fine with the idea of Hata/Manglobe and co. trying something a bit original and ambitious, if that's what they wanted to do. However, with this third episode and the mixing/muddling of chapters in the older manga timeline, it seems like they've basically thrown artistic integrity out of the window.
Old 2012-10-20, 07:31   Link #51
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I find it fascinating how different people can be Maybe the art is something that appeals to your taste, I'm certain your probably not the only one who likes it as someone did approval of this design and used it for the Anime after all

But for the rest of us... There's no two ways about it- It's bad and is very distracting at times. I don't like to judge a show base on something like that, but in this case it's quite the elephant in the room and not something that can be easily ignored.
Old 2012-10-20, 12:17   Link #52
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Just saw the 3rd ep. I’m confused. What the hell does this series want? They did a time-jump far into the future that even the manga hasn’t reach yet and cut a lot of materials and makes the anime-only fans confused. Yet, this episode is blatantly taken from a manga chapter which makes the manga-readers (like me) confused too. Imo, this series is not manga canon, it’s mangaxanime confusion!
Same here. I'm debating whether or not I want to keep watching this or not.
Old 2012-10-20, 13:25   Link #53
teja208
Critical fanboy

If anything, I've learned from this episode that being a HnG manga reader can be a curse and you just have to stop trying to figure out how "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" can fit into the manga. From this point onward, just treat it as some badly written fanfic.

But yeah, the art is awful. Why can't I just take my eyes of them?

Last edited by teja208; 2012-10-20 at 13:49.
Old 2012-10-20, 14:18   Link #54
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
If anything, I've learned from this episode that being a HnG manga reader can be a curse and you just have to stop trying to figure out how "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" can fit into the manga. From this point onward, just treat it as some badly written fanfic.
The funny thing is, they could’ve avoid all this continuity issue with a very simple method: make it a flashback episode with Hayate remembering the day he went to theme park with Hina. With that, they can still make Hina as a “guess star”, keep it consistent with the manga canon, and get rid of that annoyance called Tsugumi.
Old 2012-10-20, 16:19   Link #55
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Well, I did not pan the episode, but those off-model shots were... rather off-model. It wouldn't be the first time that a show has an episode that struggled to stay on-model, and I imagine it'll be cleaned up for the Blu-Rays/DVDs, though. As for the art style in general... it's purely personal taste. I like some of the characters in the new style, but am less fond of others. Hina in particular, though, was a major star in the second season, so I'm a bit partial for that look for her. But again, this is just a preference. The off-model thing seems like a production problem that'll be corrected, but the character design style is a preference.

Part of the issue is that we've had three different seasons that all take a very different approach with the franchise, so it's hard not to compare them. It feels a bit like the franchise is constantly rebooting itself, and if you liked a previous season you may prefer it to continue. But we obviously aren't in control, so we take what we get.

(Edit: In other random but related news, the Blu-Ray solicitations reveal the show will have 12 episodes.)
Old 2012-10-20, 16:30   Link #56
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Wait what?

This season's only 12 episodes long?

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2012-10-20, 16:31   Link #57
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

*Shrugged*

I've expected as much; this is Manglobe we're talking about- since when do they do 2 cours series?

EDIT:

lol I stand corrected, but it's been years since they did their last 2 cour...
Old 2012-10-20, 17:06   Link #58
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Interesting, each season is half as long as the previous one. First was 51, second was 25, this one is 12. At this rate, they'll stick with OVAs, because the seasons become too short for TV then.
Old 2012-10-20, 17:08   Link #59
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Interesting, each season is half as long as the previous one. First was 51, second was 25, this one is 12. At this rate, they'll stick with OVAs, because the seasons become too short for TV then.
So is the quality and budget?
Old 2012-10-20, 17:10   Link #60
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Well, this has more to do with the studios I think.

SynergySP had the capabilities to produce 4 cours 'kids' shows like MAR and Zettai Karen Children and Beyblade.

JC Staff are more Otaku-focus, and have only the ability to keep up a series for 2 cours.

Manglobe is even smaller and younger than the first two.
Closed Thread