AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 8 18.18%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 22.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 43.18%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 11.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 4.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-21, 03:10   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 13 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Shin Sekai Yori, Episode 13.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-12-21, 04:03   Link #2
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Hope they find Mamoru...
Old 2012-12-21, 15:28   Link #3
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Hope they find Mamoru...
I hope they find him and can keep him from during into a karma demon or fiend, since that sounds like what was being hinted at last epi. Saki found Shun but by then it was too late.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2012-12-21, 16:26   Link #4
NoemiChan
Banned

If Mamoru dies.. It'll end up one without a pair.. unless it'll be a threeso**...

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-12-21 at 22:05.
Old 2012-12-21, 23:35   Link #5
Entravity

A bit of a weaker episode this time around. The first half of the episode was basically finding Mamoru which was just some small detective work. The second half we learn that Mamoru is indeed being pursued by a copycat. It's nice and all but a bit uneventful. Still, can't blame it too much because a slower episode was bound to happen.

Next episode looks interesting as Hiromi (Board of Education leader) will finally make her debut.
Old 2012-12-21, 23:36   Link #6
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep13:
Old 2012-12-21, 23:45   Link #7
NoemiChan
Banned

Episode 13 with subbed..

Spoiler for Commentary and Criticism:
Old 2012-12-22, 01:06   Link #8
ChronoReverse

Technically not that much happened in the episode but it's still interesting since now we're presented with the mystery of why they really want to do that to Mamoru (but not Maria?) as well as what they're going to do next.

I've been thinking about the ED and how one of the first image you get is the house of cards collapsing. I had thought it might be a reference to the girl (wow I forgot her name too) that was erased really early on but maybe it's just referring to their "system" collapsing since it's untenable.
Old 2012-12-22, 01:27   Link #9
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
the house of cards collapsing.
Maybe that just refers to Saki's group falling apart. Fist Reiko, then Shun, and now Mamoru is in danger.....
Old 2012-12-22, 02:09   Link #10
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Spoiler for Ep13:
About the motive

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2012-12-22, 02:43   Link #11
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Spoiler for Spoiler:

Spoiler for Reaction:
Old 2012-12-22, 02:45   Link #12
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
I am half way through the episode but the one thing I noticed is the dots for eyes when the camera zooms out. It's silly looking . I always wonder why they can't draw with a larger digital canvas and then shrink it down so those zoomed out shots wouldn't look so silly. I will edit for more comments.

Edit: I am not sure if Mamoru would survive outside of the barrier, but it seems the village wants to kill him. I feel bad for saying this but his future looks grim. Unless the group decides to go with him into the wilds. That would be pretty cool. Probably staying out of the queerat's way and kill them if they get near because I don't trust those creatures - or I am just a bad person.

Last edited by Izayoi; 2012-12-22 at 03:11.
Old 2012-12-22, 04:02   Link #13
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Tomiko herself said last episode the nice quiet type is the most prone to become a karma demon (on hindsight, this must be the reason they got rid of Reiko as well)
Not Tomiko didn't say anything about quiet types, just that kids who go karma demon are usually the most kind-hearted. As for Mamoru and Reiko, I think they would become fiend. Remember that the karma demon comes from the subconscious mind, so it probably afflicts people who don't let their feelings show. Mamoru on the other hand is an open book, you can clearly see how stressed he is on his face. He shows his feelings, so I don't think he would go karma demon. In fact if Saki wasn't as resilient as Tomiko says she is, she probably would be dangerously close to become a karma demon herself imo,
Old 2012-12-22, 04:08   Link #14
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Shun was a karma demon and that poor girl in Tomiko story was one too. They're no control of their powers. Shun was through subconscious and the girl was through genetics I recall.

Mamoru always seem to break down and that was a huge hint that he was becoming a fiend and regarding Reiko, poor her, if she wasn't a cast in this show, she would of been a generic big busted girl in a harem series :>
Old 2012-12-22, 04:12   Link #15
NoemiChan
Banned

Hey, don't you think love will prevent one from becoming a karma demon or fiend..?

Don't confuse it with fantasy ( ain't this anime fantasy too?), I mean having a constant companion to be with you which kinda normalize your inner stress conflict etc... that results to becoming a karma demon or fiend...
Old 2012-12-22, 04:31   Link #16
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Shun was through subconscious and the girl was through genetics I recall.
No, they don't know if there's a genetic cause to it. In fact, they know almost nothing about why this kids becomes karma demons or fiends. They only know that karma demon are kids who lose control of their powers and become a danger to others against their will, and fiends are kids who snap and become ruthless murderers. But they don't know exactly why this happens.
Old 2012-12-22, 04:31   Link #17
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm a little bit surprised that a kid can last as long as Mamoru did, and only now get marked for elimination.

I mean, the kids are what, 16 now? I wonder what made this society change their minds on Mamoru at this point (since he apparently was fine up until recently).

Maria opting to "hop and float, hop and float" while Saki and Satoru go with the ski approach is interesting. I like these little personal idiosyncrasies in how people use cantus. Maria doesn't appear to be capable of outright flight, though, so I wonder if that's a limitation on cantus powers in general.

I like the subtle ways that we see Saki being conflicted. Saki now knows more than her friends do. She knows that she may very well one day be a person overseeing this society. So is she still in a position to criticize the people currently overseeing it? You can tell that her thinking has changed a bit, hence why she doesn't know what to say to Mamoru's current plight, which in turn upsets Maria. I really like how this is all handled.

Choosing to have one of Saki's friends eliminated just as you're recruiting her to be the next head of the Ethics Committee... that's certainly pretty questionable timing. Unless the whole idea here is that this is a final test that Saki must "pass" - If someone close to her is deemed unfit for society, is Saki willing to accept that person being eliminated?

This episode dragged a bit more than most Shin Sekai Yori episodes (which is to say that it didn't fly by like most SSY episodes do), but it was still pretty good and interesting. I loved the wintery scenery in this episode, and I loved the emoting on the parts of both the characters and their seiyu. I felt that Saki, Maria, Satoru, and especially Mamoru were all pitch-perfect on their emotional expressiveness - Not overdone, but still reflecting the natural horror and trepidation of the situation.
Old 2012-12-22, 05:49   Link #18
Blaat

As an old school gamer Maria bunny hopping amused me. I was also really surprised how much Maria was worried about Mamoru, I guess she really cares about him.

Anyway I thought some of the character design looked really weird, but there were worse in the past.
Old 2012-12-22, 05:54   Link #19
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm a little bit surprised that a kid can last as long as Mamoru did, and only now get marked for elimination.

I mean, the kids are what, 16 now? I wonder what made this society change their minds on Mamoru at this point (since he apparently was fine up until recently).
That's definitely one of the big questions that comes out of this episode, but the kids are 14, not 16.
Old 2012-12-22, 07:04   Link #20
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That's definitely one of the big questions that comes out of this episode, but the kids are 14, not 16.
I don't think it's a big question? Satoru's grandma explained it in the previous episode. Society basically doesn't recognize children as humans until they're 17, so they can be freely disposed of if need be. They keep training, testing and observing them, culling those who show potential symptoms of anything dangerous. I guess the leaders thought a period of 17 years is enough time for observation (especially since it includes the most problematic years) so if a child passes 17 without displaying any dangerous tendencies they're probably OK. Saki & Co. are 14 now, they still have 3 years to go.

Mamoru was marked for elimination because his overall instability reached a breaking point, or so they think, anyway. When he thought he was being stalked by a cat he panicked, and the panic triggered a destructive attack pretty much subconsciously. OK so it turned out he was really being stalked by a cat, but what if it was just a sudden bout of paranoia brought on by his previous experiences? What if he had hurt someone? The fact that his power activated on its own is bad enough.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-12-22 at 07:45.
Closed Thread