AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Old 2007-07-05, 01:22   Link #1001
blackmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
Perhaps, but I've never seen any Yoma that had pointy ears. It's just strange.
try episode #1... three yoma, three sets of pointy ears
blackmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 13:51   Link #1002
Rotton the Wizard
head slam magnet v. 2.0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
What, you mean to insinuate that Claymore is devoid of moe? I present the yandere (Ophelia), the ojousama (Teresa), and the brash tomboy (Helen).
Yes, moe is everywhere
Haha, I won't argue with you there but I think all the decapitations and other limb hacking pretty much negates all the moe the show has and then some. Or, the limb hacking could actually enhance the moe depending on how much of a demented person you are.
Rotton the Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 17:50   Link #1003
Trax
Rock beats scissors

I thought Claymore was a harem anime? All those pretty claymores are going to fight over Raki, right?
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 20:35   Link #1004
Rotton the Wizard
head slam magnet v. 2.0!

In the spirit of 24's Jack Bauer Kill Counter and Berserk's Kill Roster I give you: The Claymore Manga Severed Parts Counter!

Note that although this is for the manga, I do not read any chapters past where the current anime episode is at so the last chapter for each update will not go past that point. This is pretty useless information so it probably does not need its own thread (unless mods decide to move it), and I do not want to run into spoilers by posting this in the manga thread since I've only been following the anime, so it's going here. Hopefully updates will be posted after every new ep.

Spoiler for a very long list for up to ep. 14:

Spoiler for total averages:
Rotton the Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 22:20   Link #1005
blackmarks

cheers Rotton for the effort into making the Severed Parts Counter. ridiculous yet awesome.

slightly offtopic: is there any other current anime out there that is good for severing action?
blackmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 03:55   Link #1006
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarks View Post
cheers Rotton for the effort into making the Severed Parts Counter. ridiculous yet awesome.

slightly offtopic: is there any other current anime out there that is good for severing action?
Current? Maybe Zombie Loan? If you don't mind watching the past, there is always Elfen Lied.

Cheers.
Old 2007-07-07, 22:05   Link #1007
guess

I heard that the manga was not popular until the anime came out. Then the popularity just exploded. Is this true?
Old 2007-07-08, 02:16   Link #1008
dutchman
Follower of Claymorerism

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I heard that the manga was not popular until the anime came out. Then the popularity just exploded. Is this true?
If you mean for us in the western world you are correct. Only after the Teresa ARC in the anime the Claymore mania spead like wildfire.

However based on info from other people on this board who are in the know it appears that the manga was already quite popular in Japan itself before the anime. All manga volumes were sold out quite quicky.

And another indicator of it popularity is the fact that even when the magazine in which it was published has been discontinued. Claymore the manga has found a new home in a famous weekly magazine (don't know name).
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 02:23   Link #1009
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

I just started watching it due to some glowing recommendation of the manga.. I like it. Very decent shonen series.

As for the current home of Claymore manga, it was moved to Weekly Shonen Jump after Monthly Shonen Jump folded it seemed. Yeah the manga was quite popular in Japan.

I thought it was quite cool that the the term Claymore is actually represented by two kanji (大剣) which means "Big Sword". I guess Claymore sounds cooler.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 19:24   Link #1010
jor8888

Quote:
Its b/c anime is more popular and easier to download with bittorent. Also alot of time its hard to understand manga drawing.
jor8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 22:03   Link #1011
guess

I just finished watching 1-14. Man, what a thrill ride! I tried the first ep when it started in April but too much gore for me. I drop it then out of boredom, I pick it up again. My stomach grew stronger after a few ep so I am kind of OK now. The story is good and it keeps up at a decent pace and every claymore being an exceptional beauty does help.

I went to Barnes & Noble to check out the manga but decided that I don't want to be spoiled. Now I am torn between if I should follow it or just wait until it is fininsed and marathon it.

Too many questions now. I will post later. Maybe I should try to get a new sig then? Who knows. Later.
Old 2007-07-08, 23:17   Link #1012
Salamandra

Quote:
I just finished watching 1-14. Man, what a thrill ride! I tried the first ep when it started in April but too much gore for me. I drop it then out of boredom, I pick it up again. My stomach grew stronger after a few ep so I am kind of OK now.
Seen Elfen Lied? That's... so much worse as far as gore goes.
Old 2007-07-09, 02:12   Link #1013
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
I thought it was quite cool that the the term Claymore is actually represented by two kanji (大剣) which means "Big Sword". I guess Claymore sounds cooler.
You are refering to the Chinese translation. Isn't it. The official Japanese title is クレイモア(Claymore).
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-09, 18:19   Link #1014
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
You are refering to the Chinese translation. Isn't it. The official Japanese title is クレイモア(Claymore).
No, I'm not, I was refering to the Japanese wiki page on Claymore and that is what they're written: kanji "dai ken" with katakana furigana クレイモア. I'm not referring to the series title.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-09, 20:31   Link #1015
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

He's right: the fist episode's title is 大剣 with クレモア in furigana. Check for yourself
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-10, 14:09   Link #1016
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
I went to Barnes & Noble to check out the manga but decided that I don't want to be spoiled. Now I am torn between if I should follow it or just wait until it is fininsed and marathon it.
Well, today's episode starts the arc that is in the currently released (volume 8) manga, and next week's episode will probably finish covering what Viz has released. Volume 9 should be released in a few weeks, so you'll again be concurrent with the anime. So since you'd be at basicly the same point in the story with both the anime and the manga, there's no reason to hold off on either of them.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-10, 14:18   Link #1017
Riful
Of The West

Quote:
No, I'm not, I was refering to the Japanese wiki page on Claymore and that is what they're written: kanji "dai ken" with katakana furigana クレイモア. I'm not referring to the series title.
That happens in so many series, including Sailor Moon, Buso Renkin, Death Note or ARIA The chinese titel is way different 猎魔战记 ... Yoma War Chronicles?
Riful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-10, 21:30   Link #1018
guess

I am not sure if anyone has asked about this (...50 pages ), but why would claymore claims to be inhuman while I see them just like us, personality, mentality, sociology, -wise (pretty much) everything except biology?

Sure, most of them are rough and kind of rowdy, but they have a lot more compassion when it comes to their own kind with a few exceptions like Ophelia. But that is just like humans. We are kind to most of people and even better with the ones we are close to, with some minority who are psychos.

Yet, people in the series keep saying that they are monsters or witches, even claymore themselves agree to that. From what I see, they are no more monster-like than all of us.
Old 2007-07-10, 23:07   Link #1019
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

The world of Claymore borrows heavily from Medieval Europe. During this period, people were extremely superstitious. Even people with such minor features as left-handedness were thought to be possessed or enchanted in some way. People with prominent birthmarks were viewed with suspicion and sometimes contempt. If a traveler arrived in the village and stayed the night, and a resident fell ill or died the next day, the visitor would have been chased out or possibly even killed by a mob. It mattered little how kind (or not) they were.

Now, imagine, with this mindset, having people walking around which have taken into their bodies the flash and blood of a monster that preys on humans. In addition, they have silver eyes and superhuman strength, and they can cause their eyes to glow and bodies to distort at will. Yeah.
The only reason people seem to tolerate them at all is their inarguable usefulness.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-11, 01:09   Link #1020
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
I also thought it was pretty weird when I saw the Claymore title in Hong Kong. But I found out that the "big sword" is referring to the original term "claymore" which is a type of sword:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claymore
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote