AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-08-02, 19:41   Link #21
kujoe
from head to heel

Regarding KirbyMorph's comment--there are shows like G.I. Joe and American Ninja, as there are anime about Japanese schoolkids saving the world. That's his main point. Let's stick to that for the sake of this thread.

So--anime cliches huh? There are really too many. How about these cliches? With regard to female characters, here are the ones I tend to be very critical about:

What about the typical, "I'm a mysterious girl--sometimes sweet and listless, or quirky and upbeat--who either has mysterious origins or magical powers that seem to play a central role in this conflict" type of a character? Who btw, also ends up being protected by the main hero of the show simply because she's the cause of the hero's involvement in their mess, or because he simply has to for the sake of the plot. Heh. Quite often, she serves as the damsel in distress most of the time. And to top it off, there's usually a female character who kicks ass for the purpose of serving as the foil. <--- There really should be more female characters like this instead.

Another one: the dualistic perception of women in anime. In other words: the typical, too-good-to-be-true "saint" and the misunderstood, often more interesting, I've-got-a-big-problem "bitch." If not in that order, it would probably be a comparison between the sweet and shy girl and the upbeat and energetic one. Or perhaps, while one girl connotes, "magical or fantasy wowness" the other displays a "more down to earth, I'm-the-(pretty)-girl-next-door" charm. Sometimes, it's a combination of all these together, but even then, the dualistic perspective remains.

I'm beginning to sound ridiculous already, so I hope I'm making some sense here.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 19:59   Link #22
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

You are don't worry
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 20:07   Link #23
Token-Blackguy
Pimptastic McNasty

Send a message via AIM to Token-Blackguy
Quote:
(the creator of inuyasha had a chance to make an original series, but he didnt)
She, mate.

Quote:
If you want American history, then they will need to draw American characters
they already do for a big part. If you look at loads of anime, nore really seem to have overy japanese appearances if any at all. Of course this doesnt apply to all anime, bu a good bit.
Token-Blackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 20:45   Link #24
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Theres a few more than 10. I've been watching a good number of animes and started to see a vast number of similarities amongst, the divine.

11. Most females in the series are incredibly hot, and the ugly chicks have been cast off into dimension x.

12. One always have to scream and have waves of energy & debris, ripple around, when to show hes growing more powerful.

13. Any anime girl whos below 16 and is not equipt with hte large breasted item will be replaced with incredibly nice legs and ass instead.

14. The main character always has a distinct emotional problem and would like to get it resolved by others, as a sideplot.

15. Anime characters never use the toilet.

16. Japanese people in anime have a distinct look like the british, with randomly colored hair.

17. Animated girls are always horny and subjectible to whatever figure comes along, and usually repress this feeling, which causes a distinct plot element.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 20:51   Link #25
FlyByNite

The whole argument about Animes being japan-centric is completely idiotic. THEY ARE MADE BY JAPANESE PEOPLE? HELLO?

How many american TV shows aren't set in America or about Americans?

Last year I remember fox tried a show set in England called "Keen Eddie" which I thought was pretty good. It failed, most shows set out of the US tend to fail on US television.

BTW. How can anyone miss this cliche though.

No matter if the world is being attacked by Demons or Aliens there is time for
A)Onsen Trip
B)Beach Trip
C)Pool Trip
D)Sometimes all of the above in a series.

FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 20:56   Link #26
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
The whole argument about Animes being japan-centric is completely idiotic. THEY ARE MADE BY JAPANESE PEOPLE? HELLO?

How many american TV shows aren't set in America or about Americans?

Last year I remember fox tried a show set in England called "Keen Eddie" which I thought was pretty good. It failed, most shows set out of the US tend to fail on US television.

A)Onsen Trip
B)Beach Trip
C)Pool Trip

I was about to comment on that, but I figured meh, theres gotta be some plot fillers somewhere.

Oh yes non-japanese centralism in a japanese made cartoon would seem completly retarded.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 21:03   Link #27
Entropy
Flame warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts

11. Most females in the series are incredibly hot, and the ugly chicks have been cast off into dimension x.

12. One always have to scream and have waves of energy & debris, ripple around, when to show hes growing more powerful.

13. Any anime girl whos below 16 and is not equipt with hte large breasted item will be replaced with incredibly nice legs and ass instead.

14. The main character always has a distinct emotional problem and would like to get it resolved by others, as a sideplot.

15. Anime characters never use the toilet.

16. Japanese people in anime have a distinct look like the british, with randomly colored hair.

17. Animated girls are always horny and subjectible to whatever figure comes along, and usually repress this feeling, which causes a distinct plot element.
Bwahahaha,that's brilliant.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 21:05   Link #28
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Well, there is always "Gunsmith Cats", it takes place in Chicago.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 21:07   Link #29
SlugZilla
woofles

Yeah I agree why should a manga be about any other place than Japan if the author doesn't know as much about the culture people and language of another country. There have been manga that take place in China and America but most of the time they are full of stereotypes.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 21:51   Link #30
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

About manga based in China [or anywhere else in Asia for that matter], for it to have any semblence of accuracy the guy doing it would have to be living there for quite a bit. Can honestly say that while Japan is somewhat related to the rest of the mainland, there are so entirely alien in terms of culture and attitude that they might as well have come from another planet Only hope for a good fable is for them to import the tale in and adapt it to something contemporary and familiar.

They have adapted the semi-historical 3 Kingdoms period, taken up Jing Yong's Condor Hero and remade Saiyuki so many times I've about given up on looking. Was impresed by 12 Kingdoms- though the girl's whine meter in the first 5 episodes was greater than FY's Miaka >_<. When they do get a foreign setting right then the show is pretty well excellent [Monster]- this is more due to a culture dedicated to looking for and applying even the smallest detail than anything else. A show made in the US [or most of the planet for that matter] usually skips this over. The result= lots of cheese but no meat in the offering.

Could be the main reason why I tend to rank anime ahead of most of the current Hollywood [another American Pie sequel and I'll puke] fare despite the cliche, there's actually substance underneath all that fluff.

Anyway about the hot and sexy alien bit. Which one do you think has a better chance of taking over planet Earth? Plastic/Tentacle sex monster or someone built like a pr0nstar? I think these aliens have got the concept right on the first try since we'd likely give up without a fight for the later
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 22:01   Link #31
zzz
Hallo..

yes...

I guess ALL Americans know what aliens look like...

... and what people say is true, turn on your AMERICAN tv set and tell me how many cliches can be found in YOUR media. I'm sorry but im not gonna be turning on ABC and expecting a Asian soap opera anytime soon.
zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 22:19   Link #32
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz
I guess ALL Americans know what aliens look like...
Rosswell and the Greys have given the really good looking aliens a bad rap. That's probably the biggest reason why Superman is able to walk around in broad daylight with all the common blokes not having a clue he's from outer space
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 22:30   Link #33
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime
Rosswell and the Greys have given the really good looking aliens a bad rap. That's probably the biggest reason why Superman is able to walk around in broad daylight with all the common blokes not having a clue he's from outer space
Superman can't walk outside in public without being recognized as an alien unless he puts on his glasses...

FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 22:34   Link #34
Imaginer
WTFBBQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by molotov_sp
3.Aliens don't just look like humans, THEY ARE ALSO DAMN HOT!!
Look in live action sci-fi shows, the reason all aliens look human is because it's damn expensive to make them look like anything else. I mean in star trek it's alot cheaper to put someone in a rubber costume than make a completely computer generated or animatronic main character alien not to mention the fact that if you dont have a monstrous budget this particular character would look like complete crap next to their real life counterparts. BUT THIS IS ANIMATION. If there is any place to make cool alien characters that REALLY LOOK ALIEN, its in Anime and if it's possible ... please make the most horrendous looking one the GOOD GUY rather than the BAD GUY for a change. This is just a case of complete lapse of creativity.
Greatest culprit in recent memory:WOW i cant think of any at the moment, maybe i can have a little back up in this area, I'm pretty sure it's true though, if not, let me just say i was really grabbing at ideas by this point to reach my goal of 10!

1.Japanese History is the only history worth exploring!
This brings me back to old 80's anime. From an old family friend who went to Japan, he said that in the 80s there was a heavy fascination with European culture which is easily refelected in their Anime's. Instead of using that to explore other cultures, like perhaps obscure African or south American folk stories and histories. Animes has actually regressed into, ITS ALL ABOUT JAPAN. Frankly ive been really getting into those film festivals where they showcase foreighn hits. There is some damn good stuff out there, its just a matter of finding them and then putting a good anime spin to it.
Greatest culprit in recent memory:Samurai Champloo (yet another timeless classic in Japanese fuedal period, OH BOY!
I usually dont mind "Aliens looking humanoid" at all. In fact, if you differ aliens and humans too much, it just might not relate to the viewer's mind and we start to head into abstract-city and you have thus turned off most of your audience except for the handful of sci-fi enthusists if the show has enough of a gripping background.

As for number 1, what do you expect from an anime? Anime is coined and associated with Japan and yes, the majority of it will have history and backgrounds about Japan because like I said before, it relates to their primary audience. Had if Japanese animation companies targeted Americans first, then the Japanese, you have a point, but if it does not relate, people will not watch it for long.
Imaginer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 23:56   Link #35
Entropy
Flame warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginer
I usually dont mind "Aliens looking humanoid" at all. In fact, if you differ aliens and humans too much, it just might not relate to the viewer's mind and we start to head into abstract-city and you have thus turned off most of your audience except for the handful of sci-fi enthusists if the show has enough of a gripping background.
Meh,humanoid can be ok,but if they speak the same language or something...

Me.Scream.Now.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 04:28   Link #36
mememe
hmmm baka

Send a message via MSN to mememe
things i hate the sexy girl is oblivious about showing her panties or hugging her boobs in the main boy character's face and the normal looking girl is too shy to say to the guy LOOK I LIKE U! and waits until he is gone to sob about her tortured soul and how she wants him but will do nothing about it while the guy sits there and does the same thing i would like to see that once the girl would say yep lets get together and have a relationship and the show be about that insted of the girl or guy putting off talking to the person and then crying about it!

Also what is the deal with this girl on girl wake up sure girls who are friends kiss and hug each other but they don't take it that far!!!!!!! and i'd rather see a guy and a girl hugging and kissing then two girls and wat about guys hugging since some shows think girls hugging appeals to men why don't they put some guy on guy action to appeal to the women!!!!!

and would it kill them to have all the hot chicks over 18 just to make it legal!!

sorry can't think of anything else but yeah just want an anime that has a healthy loving relationship

and alien's that don't look human ever read animorphs how bout those kind of aliens to start off with

shutting up now
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 05:01   Link #37
chucky
Always impatient

I luv you all desu!?!?!?!?
Hello desu!?!?!?!?
All of you hate cliches like i do desu!?!?!?!?!?
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 05:15   Link #38
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite

A)Onsen Trip
B)Beach Trip
C)Pool Trip

Does it count if it took Gravion two series to get all of those down? At one point they even fight the aliens in their bathing suits...
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 11:59   Link #39
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

For myself, I want to comment about the clichés found in magic-girl anime genre which several of you likely didn't mind at all to look over.

Anime of this genre has a lot of abundant clichés which tend to become monotonous once they grew upon the audience. However, it amazes me how the target audience always copes with them.

1. Identity crisis
A very essential element for magic-girl anime always will be the transformation sequence. It's a standard for anime of this genre, however, it poses a consistent flaw.
I can't understand why the fighters-against-evil, magic girl heroines can't figure out the identity of other magic girl heroines, like themselves, in their civilian forms if the first time they met with them were while being transformed into their magic-girl heroine self.
This observation has a foundation upon the transformation sequence. In many magic-girl anime, best example Sailor Moon, I observed that the girl's appearance only changes from their civilian robes to their magic-girl outfits. There's no physical transformation of their persona--changes in hair and eye color--to better conceal their identities.
Then why they can't figure out the identity of other magic heroines in their civilian form, if for the first time they met transformed into their magic-girl outfits.
I don't know you, but hypothetically if I were a bystander civilian who is rescued by a magic-girl and being a student who happens to be classmate of that magic-girl disguised as a classmate of mine, I will know for sure how quickly to figure out her identity by just hearing her voice, observing cautiously that both her hair and eyes match those of that magic-girl.
In that case, the whole concept behind transformation is useless and pointless if they're going to change only the wardrobe.

However, in the case of both Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and the Live Action Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon the whole transformation concept is applied to validation and makes sense.
When Marron transforms to Kaitou Jeanne, she fully transforms not only her wardrobe but also her hair and eyes changed color, as well.
The transformation perfectly conceals her without arousing any doubts upon the side characters and giving the audience a better sense of credibility.
The same truth goes for the Live Action PGSM.

2. No hopper losers
It's a standard in magic-girl anime that the heroines will always fend off against a monster-of-the-day in each episode. It doesn't matter how ugly, powerful, and different each monster was from the previous one, all of them possess the same vulnerability, they are highly dopey.
Let me clear things up. I'm not complaining about featuring monsters-of-the-day nor always the heroines kick their butts while left unscathed. That's also a standard common within this type of genre.
What bothers me is that the stupid monsters instantly become easy targets for annihilation or defeat by the heroines. They don't put much of resistance to defend themselves against the ultimate attack of the main heroine nor do they make attempts to escape from it. They just stand there in catatonic state ready to receive the blast.
It's like they write a message that says, "Hey, I'm an evil monster please waste me" and hang it upon themselves.
In other words, the monsters are free to spread the reign of terror, but once the heroines arrive we know for sure that their fate is doomed.

3. Enough said is enough
Many magic-girl heroines always introduce themselves by making an entrance and reciting a trademark phrase later, which will become to use it for the next episode.
This is another standard in most magic-girl anime which I'm not complaining about.
However, what it can't come to my head is why the villains just stand still waiting for the heroines to finish off their introduction or reciting their phrases.
Seriously, if I were a heartless gun-fighter, terrorist, or maniac, and an intruder comes to get me, I won't stop to shoot at him or her whenever I spot said intruder until I know for sure that I get him/her then waste the intruder right away without giving any second thoughts about it.
Does the villains in magic-girl anime have to be polite or follow an etiquette protocol to listen to the heroines and give second thoughts while the magic-girls are posing and introducing themselves?
They shouldn't, do they?

One more thing. I'm not American you know, I'm Mexican.
Just contributing my opinions and thoughts from the mind of a LatinAmerican.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 12:54   Link #40
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

About the transformation in shoujo anime, the enemies never think about attack the girl while transforming. they look at it saying nothing and doing nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Does it count if it took Gravion two series to get all of those down? At one point they even fight the aliens in their bathing suits...
Sounds interesting...
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote