AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2015-04-08, 08:09   Link #56521
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Really? I just read the first volume to it so I don't really know
Old 2015-04-08, 13:45   Link #56522
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- ...should I be worried that the reason I'm having so much trouble writing my current fic is because it's relatively more lighthearted than my previous works?
No, because I have a light-hearted story set against a dark origin with a dawning background.

There was a war, a really terrible one, it is why the world looks so different now, but things are now better. And it keeps getting better.

Then, when something threatens that recovery, there be heroes willing to defend it in their own ways.

Really, Ichika spends all of 2 lines in the novel mentioning the Great Wars, and that is about as much I was going to talk about it in Vandam I, because it is about the heroes, always.

Even in Vandam the Origin, it is also about the heroes, where a most unlikely character, a part time exotic dancer, uses her wits to survive and unwittingly becomes the idol of a nation.

That to me defines whether a story is truly dark or light, to what extent is the hero able to bring a satisfying conclusion. Grimdark is about phyrric victories with tremendous costs; my work is about exceeding what came before and achieving what is thought impossible, a good ending for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
... Why should every story be started with a great war (far over) between Russia, Chinese and American? Can't anyoen think of something new?
I'm pretty sure I said it was North Korea who started the Great War to the north, which was at the epicenter of the White Knight incident. And I even pointed out that Jong eventually bombed Washington, a feat that he accomplished with external help that breaks the limits of reality... which is a recurring theme throughout the ENTIRE of Meisterverse alternate future. Where the impact of IS is so far reaching that status quos are upturned and settling in a drastically different balance of forces.

(Spoiler: Which, sort of justifies the kind of lengths the normally kind and gentle Ai-hime was willing to go to, to stem even minor transgressions and leakages of information.)

Both Great Wars were started by existing flashpoints from our world being given weapons they were never meant to have, and set loose on a rampage. There is no reason for Russia, China or the US to fight each other, and they never do or did. Sure I paint them more like snobby know-it-alls milling about a buffet table in a 6 star restaurant comparing the size of their car, but that's just politics, each one is looking for maximum gain at minimum cost while doing their best to show off.

Remember, present day IS has the exact same UN Security Council members as during the Great Wars, and in our time. Open war between the 3 powers trying to win favors in Asia does them no service, and does not make any sense.

I did however, changes allies a lot. NATO agreement collapses from Republican withdrawal of US forces; this was based on real world policies that were touted by several Republican hardliners during the last and current preparations for election. The EU cosies up with China as a result which was a throwback to some video game plots. Meanwhile, Russia continues to stew in their little corner of the globe like a sulking bear, but since no one is poking the bear, the bear hasn't struck anyone yet.

There are many good things to come from this terrible age. ASEAN breaks free from foreign meddling and establishes itself as a superpower. In fact, Meisterworld sees the appearance of THREE new superpowers. The first was India which being right smack in the middle was never touched by Caliphate attack before it was halted and later proved valuable to pushing back the Caliphate. The 2nd was the ASEAN Foundation as earlier described; and 3rd was the West Arab Emirate Solidarity which is a trade agreement and defense arrangement between nascent progressive democracies that were previously under dictatorships and theocractic rule.

Several allies do grow closer. Korea as a landmass no longer exists, but there is no split between Koreas any more. The US and Israel become even closer. The EU has merged into an indistinguishable entity. Even the world as a whole grows closer as they start to form a common culture. Sure, its just IS and many elements of Japanese pop culture gaining a worldwide following thanks to Tabane's meddling, but still, an entire generation of youth around the planet grew up on a freer more accessible internet and now have very common traits and less xenophobic to one other.

Bearing in mind that each one has several named characters, my brain sometimes strain under the weight to keeping up this LoGH tier story.

And then there is the good 10 years after all of this, during which 3 little girls grew up in comfy environments, without for want, and decided to run for the stars, without knowing that first step into the glass slipper called IS would make them quite the Cinderella.

I hope that clears things up.

EDIT: Edited out some very nasty words. I'm sorry for losing my temper...

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2015-04-09 at 01:54.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 05:11   Link #56523
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Still stuck. Not made better by the fact that my landlord is telling me to fix the fire alarms for them this weekend (what, I don't get overworked and underpaid enough already?). I'm thinking of throwing a few things to move the story forward, but not certain if I should.

One is that I'm thinking of bringing Madoka/M into the 1st chapter. I was originally reserving her for later (after Firemoth becomes a bit established), but now tempted to put her into the first part. The only thing is I'm trying to fit her in a way that doesn't feel forced. I mean, she's already been hinted at in the prologue--two Blue IS chasing down the Red test unit. But I'm at a loss how to fit her in and still have it make sense.

Second is hinting at Iron Man-related stuff. I'm thinking of putting in a Stane character in there but I'm not sure if I'd be pushing it too hard. It's tempting, but I'm also reminding myself not to overdo the easter eggs and focus on the story. Ange may be a Stark, but Firemoth's origin is completely different from Iron Man's origin.

Ah hell, we need music!
https://youtu.be/dfR9M9aj5NI
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 07:00   Link #56524
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Quote:
In a brief symphony of flashes, the tanks simultaneously fire upon the <Gospel>. Despite scoring direct hits, the IS remains unscathed and attempts to retaliate but unknown shots distracted it. The gunner turns to the source and sees three <Fang Quake> IS firing on the <Gospel>. Unlike Iris’ which has a desert camo motif, the intervening <Fang Quakes> is completely colored navy blue without any defining motifs or markings.

“The 01st Infinity Squad…!”

-Two, get Braids to safety. Six, on me.-” Voice of one of the <Fang Quake> pilots sound on the comms.

One of the three carries the unconscious Iris Calling away while the remaining two lay down surpression fire upon the <Silverio Gospel> with their rifles and missiles, which fire from pods on the twin binders on their back and on their legs. A fourth navy-colored <Fang Quake>, perched on the roof of a distant hangar, fires a high-caliber round from her sniper rifle.
The high-velocity shot hits the <Gospel’s> back, forcing it down to one knee.

[SILVERIO GOSPEL - ENERGY POINTS: 580/800]

The <Gospel’s> AI sets a course for the Pacific Ocean and flies up, spinning and firing a dense torrent of beam bolts over a very wide area. One of the Infinity Squad’s <Fang Quakes> put up a wide barrier to protect the five tanks. The <Gospel> then uses the chance to escape, promptly going supersonic as it heads for the Pacific Ocean.

-Infinity Actual, Five. Sierra zero-one just went supersonic, heading two-five-seven. Over.-

-Copy that, Five. Infinity One to Kingpin, Sierra zero-one is supersonic, heading two-five-seven. Permission to pursue, over.-

-Infinity, this is Kingpin. Do not pursue Sierra zero-one. Repeat, do NOT pursue the <Gospel>.-

-But Kingpin, Lieutenant Fairs is—-

-We’re already arranging overseas assets to intercept her, Lieutenant. For now, I need Infinity to assist with damage assessment.-
From I saw during my Japan trip, the area between Atami and Odawara looked similar to that one mainland scene where the IS Academy overlooked. I was on the Shinkansen so I got a brief view of the coastline, which would be around here:

Then again, this is just my on-site observation. I didn't get to take a pic though. Perhaps I'll get one during my second Japan trip next April.
Old 2015-04-09, 07:10   Link #56525
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
No, because I have a light-hearted story set against a dark origin with a dawning background.

There was a war, a really terrible one, it is why the world looks so different now, but things are now better. And it keeps getting better.

Then, when something threatens that recovery, there be heroes willing to defend it in their own ways.

Really, Ichika spends all of 2 lines in the novel mentioning the Great Wars, and that is about as much I was going to talk about it in Vandam I, because it is about the heroes, always.

Even in Vandam the Origin, it is also about the heroes, where a most unlikely character, a part time exotic dancer, uses her wits to survive and unwittingly becomes the idol of a nation.

That to me defines whether a story is truly dark or light, to what extent is the hero able to bring a satisfying conclusion. Grimdark is about phyrric victories with tremendous costs; my work is about exceeding what came before and achieving what is thought impossible, a good ending for everyone.

I'm pretty sure I said it was North Korea who started the Great War to the north, which was at the epicenter of the White Knight incident. And I even pointed out that Jong eventually bombed Washington, a feat that he accomplished with external help that breaks the limits of reality... which is a recurring theme throughout the ENTIRE of Meisterverse alternate future. Where the impact of IS is so far reaching that status quos are upturned and settling in a drastically different balance of forces.

(Spoiler: Which, sort of justifies the kind of lengths the normally kind and gentle Ai-hime was willing to go to, to stem even minor transgressions and leakages of information.)

Both Great Wars were started by existing flashpoints from our world being given weapons they were never meant to have, and set loose on a rampage. There is no reason for Russia, China or the US to fight each other, and they never do or did. Sure I paint them more like snobby know-it-alls milling about a buffet table in a 6 star restaurant comparing the size of their car, but that's just politics, each one is looking for maximum gain at minimum cost while doing their best to show off.

Remember, present day IS has the exact same UN Security Council members as during the Great Wars, and in our time. Open war between the 3 powers trying to win favors in Asia does them no service, and does not make any sense.

I did however, changes allies a lot. NATO agreement collapses from Republican withdrawal of US forces; this was based on real world policies that were touted by several Republican hardliners during the last and current preparations for election. The EU cosies up with China as a result which was a throwback to some video game plots. Meanwhile, Russia continues to stew in their little corner of the globe like a sulking bear, but since no one is poking the bear, the bear hasn't struck anyone yet.

There are many good things to come from this terrible age. ASEAN breaks free from foreign meddling and establishes itself as a superpower. In fact, Meisterworld sees the appearance of THREE new superpowers. The first was India which being right smack in the middle was never touched by Caliphate attack before it was halted and later proved valuable to pushing back the Caliphate. The 2nd was the ASEAN Foundation as earlier described; and 3rd was the West Arab Emirate Solidarity which is a trade agreement and defense arrangement between nascent progressive democracies that were previously under dictatorships and theocratic rule.

Several allies do grow closer. Korea as a landmass no longer exists, but there is no split between Koreas any more. The US and Israel become even closer. The EU has merged into an indistinguishable entity. Even the world as a whole grows closer as they start to form a common culture. Sure, its just IS and many elements of Japanese pop culture gaining a worldwide following thanks to Tabane's meddling, but still, an entire generation of youth around the planet grew up on a freer more accessible internet and now have very common traits and less xenophobic to one other.

Bearing in mind that each one has several named characters, my brain sometimes strain under the weight to keeping up this LoGH tier story.

And then there is the good 10 years after all of this, during which 3 little girls grew up in comfy environments, without for want, and decided to run for the stars, without knowing that first step into the glass slipper called IS would make them quite the Cinderella.

I hope that clears things up.

EDIT: Edited out some very nasty words. I'm sorry for losing my temper...
You forgot the Palestinian. Or the Kurd, the Chechen, the Uyghur, the Rohingya,... And above all, where? Mecca, Karbala, or all Muslim united in Medina?

One important factor is to clear out the small fishes first.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 07:57   Link #56526
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:

The world is different now.
The old rules no longer apply.
The darkness must end.
Old 2015-04-09, 13:51   Link #56527
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
You forgot the Palestinian. Or the Kurd, the Chechen, the Uyghur, the Rohingya,... And above all, where? Mecca, Karbala, or all Muslim united in Medina?

One important factor is to clear out the small fishes first.
For now, that information is classified. I'll just say that it was an operation where Rachel Browning, the Joes and the Schwarzehase were deployed, and that the situation was very dire. It was going to be covered in the 3rd leg of The Black Rabbit collection of short stories, but at the moment I need to work on the core fic before going into the expanded universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
The world is different now.
The old rules no longer apply.
The darkness must end.
My only problem with this is that I cannot see Chifuyu say that, even though she has every thing else, including almost half her body made up of bionics.
Old 2015-04-10, 03:24   Link #56528
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

... You know what, only now I realize an important fact:

IZURU IS A FREAKING FOOD ADDICT!!!

... Really. Try to read one chapter without encountering dinner, lunch or breakfast.

Last edited by Fireminer; 2015-04-10 at 06:35.
Old 2015-04-10, 03:56   Link #56529
The 48th Ronin

demino:

JIM is an ally to the infamous acronym.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-10, 04:02   Link #56530
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Hmm, Ichika hosting a cooking show. It might work.

Hell, I think he'd be pretty good at it, as he has been trained in the arts of a waifu.
Old 2015-04-10, 06:59   Link #56531
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Someone just has got to do this before me: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1113832...GUM-IS-Version

Oh, can anyone explain for me why the Fate/IS crossovers are the most popular type out there?
Old 2015-04-10, 07:17   Link #56532
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Hmm, Ichika hosting a cooking show.
- Wok With Orimu

<<---right now fighting stress at his place due to Landlord giving him @#$! again.
Old 2015-04-10, 10:16   Link #56533
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

(SCREAMS) Why the hell is my writing not working?!?!?!? WHY U NO WORK BRAIN?!? My story's long overdue and you're just hanging there in midsentence!

@#$%!#$. So gonna rewrite this when the chapter's all done. Lack of sleep and overload of stress is also a factor. How the hell do legitimate book authors make a living from writing and not drop dead? Seriously!?
Quote:
"Ten units airborne, ma'am."

There was little hint of the mess hall's original purpose as it had been covered
on every table and space by computers and other electronic equipment. The hall was
well-lit, and each console was staffed. At the centre of the activity was Chien,
overseeing the operation with unfeeling eyes.

The intelligence officer looked at five coffin-shaped units laid to one side,
sealed from the rest of the group.

Each of the repose pits had a single airman lying inside them, controlling the
drone aircraft in the skies. The workload was light, each pilot only controlled
two at a time. At full capacity, one repose pit could fly four drones at once. The
fully immersive virtual reality interface and completely closed inner environment
ensure they could focus on their work without outside interruption. The experience
of using the repose pits was jarring, as pilots felt like they were split into two
different places at once. They were necessary as the Twenty-fifth operated RQ-210
drones, which the rest of the USAF were yet to know existed, much less have access
to. The stealthy drones took positions over the skies. Slow-moving, loitering
about the airspace over Providence. They would only be in the sky until dawn, then
return.

"Pull up the input from the repose pits."

Not even a nod as the screens lit up. Real-time feed from the landscape. Each of
the RQ drones were equipped with three camera eyes, and the men and women in the
room saw what the pilots in the repose pits saw. The units were undetectable even
to friendly local and military radar, and flew silently above the community. Each
one was armed, for both air and ground targets which the pilots could pick out
with precision. It was an abnormal amount of firepower for their apparent mission:

The official statement was that they were looking for the test unit lost the other
night.

The truth was, Chien and the rest of the Twenty-Fifth couldn't care less about the
lost unit. It was bait for the real catch.

Chien was still as a statue. "Now, we wait."

The night was silent until the dawn, but the Twenty-Fifth knew the work had just
begun.

<--------------->

H+

The virtual blackboard had only that word or symbol on it.

"H Plus." The man up front smiled. Professor Haldane tended to drone on about
philosophy, but was far more likable than most teachers in school. "The leactures
we've been having all schoolyear lead up to this."

Ange leaned on her desk, only marginally paying attention to the lecture. She
found Haldane and his talks on ethics and humanism amusing at best and boring at
worst. Stark also wondered whether his popularity was because he was one of the
few male teachers at Macallister, or because his squabbles with Professor Pollock
were so well-documented. Haldane was young for a professor, and at his heart he
was an idealist. The cranky Pollock had constantly attempted to have him removed
from the school, which was always the source of gossip among students.

"Transhumanism. The theory that human beings will eventually become a completely
new organism, with extremely expanded abilities, by the application of
technology." Haldane gestured as if writing. The virtual board interpreted his
shorthand into text visible to all. "You're probably wondering what that has to do
with ethics."

I'm wondering why I have to even attend this class, Ange scowled, as she
felt this was time better spent actually doing fun stuff. 'Fun' in her vocabulary
meaning taking an actual IS to pieces and reassembling it at the quantum level.
Stark looked at Shay, who appeared engrossed in the lecture. Yeah, it's just
the kind of boring stuff you'd go for.

"The Infinite Stratos is a high-end exoskeleton. Essentially, it is a human
enhancement tool. It provides the pilot with enhanced strength and senses, as well
as the capacity to fly or be able to move faster than ordinary human muscles can
propel you." The professor coughed a bit, solely for show. Haldane smirks. "Can
you not say that being connected to the IS actually makes a person transhuman or
posthuman?"

"It's not different from driving a car," one student scoffed. "Or looking through
a telescope."

"But anyone can drive a car. Not everyone can use an IS. Men can't pilot it, and
there are also women out there who are incompatible."

"But a male IS pilot exists!" another student, pointing out the obvious.

"Yes. One. An exception to the rule." Haldane nodded agreement. Most people in the
world had at least heard of the exception, a japanese teenager who was the sole
existing male pilot of an IS. Theories were rampant about how this was possible,
but no one actually had access to that person. "But besides that, the IS provides
technologies that were unheard of prior to their adoption. Technologies most of
you seem to take for granted. Think about it: Only fifty years ago, the idea of
carrying a telephone in your pocket was unheard of."

Much snickering, and Ange smiled. She couldn't believe humanity had gotten
anywhere past the stone age before mobile phones or wireless internet
connectivity. She turned to look at the redhead--Brogan. The latter seemed to be
diligently taking notes. Oh, so you're playing the good student? Stark grimaced.

"These are all human enhancment techologies. They're not surgically grafted to us
like in the movies, true. It's not like someone was cloned and bred solely to use
a mobile phone or communication tablet." A breath. "But who's to say that someone
out there isn't physiologically, mentally, and genetically suited to pilot an IS?"
Haldane spoke as if he personally knew such a pilot. "And who's to say that
someone--maybe even Shinonono Tabane herself--might have used the IS technology
she developed to enhance her own physical body?"

"That's crazy!" the first student responded, almost violently.

"It's dangerous. It's unheard of. And it's potentially unethical. Which is the
gist of this lecture." Haldane folded his arms inward. "It's basically human
experimentation. The technology that the IS presents, what it opens up for those
like you who are planning to study and work with it? The ethical impacts of this
technology, that's what we'll discuss."

By this time, Ange had switched off her attention. Her mind was thinking of
finishing up on her IS.

Last edited by wavehawk; 2015-04-10 at 11:40.
Old 2015-04-11, 19:57   Link #56534
The 48th Ronin

Just a suggestion, wavehawk. How about finding and playing a game you can enjoy, it might rejuvenate your brain a bit. Works for me sometimes.
Old 2015-04-11, 19:58   Link #56535
Frosty
He who loves to sing
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
Just a suggestion, wavehawk. How about finding and playing a game you can enjoy, it might rejuvenate your brain a bit. Works for me sometimes.
Well Cap., it did work for me. Say, is there something new in WOT? I haven't played it for two months now.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-11, 20:09   Link #56536
The 48th Ronin

Nothing much, but there's the Login Missions.

You could ask the folks at the WOT thread.

BTT...
Old 2015-04-11, 20:43   Link #56537
lovetospoon73

Question, do u guys think that no matter how strong he gets, ichika will remained the same clueless idiot that the girls drool & sometimes strip over?
lovetospoon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-11, 21:48   Link #56538
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
- Used to do this. In fact most of my better fics (IMHO) were written when I was playing a game at least somewhat related to what I was writing. Most of my espionage/cyberpunk-related fics usually involved playing MGS or Deus Ex for example.

But the issue is that my current laptop can't run games (It's mainly for internet browsing, work, fanfic writing and the occassional video), and...there's really no game that fits the feel of what I'm trying to do with my fic--yes, I know there are Iron Man games but I find they're not as good or immersive as I'd like. As previously mentioned I've never tried to write a superhero-ish themed story before and I'm finding that I've been hitting the wrong notes in terms of delivery.

There aren't a lot of good superhero games IMHO. At least, not superhero games wherein you actually feel that you ARE the superhero and are experiencing what it's like to be that hero. (so I won't include the LEGO, Disney Infinity or web-based DC/Marvel games here) There's the Batman Arkham games which are fantastic, but don't really fit what I'm writing currently (and as mentioned won't run on my laptop). The Iron Man games seemed to try this but were severely lacking (The upgrading system could have used a lot of work, and they could have put in a lot more). The Green Lantern game was...okay, better than the movie at least. Haven't played the Captain America Winter Soldier or Hulk games.

--Let us not talk about Superman N64. PLEASE.--

I'm annoyed because there's no real basis for what I'm writing. I mean, nobody's ever made a decent game for some heroes that I think would be good material for such an experience like The Flash for example--I know there's a running/racing game on mobile for that, but it's basically a temple run game, not a real experience. An Ant-Man game could work given the upcoming movie--an action puzzle game wherein you have to grow or shrink depending on hwo to solve the problem. Or Green Arrow--you could probably even cheat and use the Arkham game engine and base it on the Arrow TV series (cheap, but if done right it'd be worth it). Or a Guardians of the Galaxy game that plays like Mass Effect.

Anyway, I'll work somethign out eventually. Until then:

Last edited by wavehawk; 2015-04-11 at 22:01.
Old 2015-04-11, 22:08   Link #56539
demino_hellsin
That one guy

What if there was an Infinite Stratos game that played like a mix of Persona and Mana Khemia?

Three types of gameplay that roll into one and influence each other.

The VN factor - where you interact with the girls and basically choose your route. This affects your overall allying with other countries as they can put in a good word for you.

The role playing factor - you are a student of IS academyas the second male IS pilot in the whole world. You choose your nationality which affects what country allies to you and each country specializes in a certain IS aspect with different corporations either sponsoring you or deciding to sell you their wares. Your allowance and available upgrades are affected this way as well as your overall choice in frames.

The combat dungeon crawl factor - Because of your appearance, PT and Tabane get more active in launching repetitive attacks on ISA. Turning the whole place into a battlefield. More often than not you have to find the leader and defeat them to forcethe invaders to retreat. You can ask for Chifuyu to conduct a simulation war or merely go to mock battles to train yourself. There are also special battle triggers dependent on events like the regular event tournaments, Cannonball fast and the Silverio Battle.

If they do it right, even online timed special events like Valentine's day rumble can be done.
Old 2015-04-12, 01:33   Link #56540
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Except how do you explain running into millions of Ichika in an online game?

...Unless the game renders everyone else as girls and you as Ichika and to another person, you are a random girl from a different country...

...which is VERY possible come to think of it. @_@

Gaaaaah I gotta sit down and edit these pics or the SHOOTiNG ST@R profiles will NEVER get released!

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest