AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-07, 03:39   Link #621
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
Yeah, I agree with that. I'm not a big fan of fanservice in general (at least not the ridiculous suddenly naked/stripping kind), but Free!'s type of fanservice is not something I've seen a lot of. Which is not to say by any means that Free! is the first ever show to have fanservice of guys. But with KyoAni making this series - and having such gorgeous animation - it has come to the attention of people who might not otherwise have been watching this genre.
I'm kind of curious as to what direction this series will take, but whatever it is, since it's kyoani, we could be sure at least that there will be good animation

I guess that's why this series is getting more attention than anything else this season.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 07:42   Link #622
Blonto

I have to add that I completely agree with Reckoner regarding the discussion on girly guys. Anyone who doesn't see how these guys act like moeblobs probably hasn't ever been around normal guys in her life. And don't use that excuse "Japan is different" or "this isn't supposed to be realistic". There's a difference between making people act unrealistic for the purposes of creativity or emphasis and making them act downright opposite of what anyone in real life acts, especially when you make the whole cast like that. It breaks my immersion and makes me feel uncomfortable because these characters feel like aliens and not in the least like anyone from real life. It's like making a child act like an adult and expecting the audience to accept it just because other characters treat it as normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
By the way, what's up with the grandma's phrase? At 20 you become ordinary? The grandma sure was an optimistic person
You reminded me of the only thing I truly liked in this show, because it's the same thing my father used to tell me, except my talent is drawing. What he meant is that seeing a 12 year old good artist is not the same as seeing a good artist in his twenties and that I should do something with my talent while I still have time and will for it (and while my competition is still weak, heh). I'm guessing that's what the grandma in the show meant.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 08:10   Link #623
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Frankly neither anime women nor anime men are realistic. They are both archetypes; and the archetypes are actually interchangeable. The Tsundere, for example, was actually a male character type far earlier than before it became popular for female characters.

The fact that one might view Free characters as "feminine" is very likely because you never saw these traits portrayed in male characters, purely because you haven't seen much Shoujou manga. These character types are not new, and definitely not new for male characters. They are no less men than women in male oriented shows not being "feminine" enough.
Old 2013-07-07, 08:16   Link #624
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Grandma's phrase also resonated with me a lot.

There's a certain level of talent and/or intelligence that'll get you heavily noticed as a kid, noticed to a fair degree as a teenager, but seen as just normal for an adult.

The reason is that a school/community is only a "small pond" (or a small pool might be a better analogy in this case ) compared to the wider world. As a kid you're measured against your immediate peers, so it's not hard to stand out in one way or another - "immediate" peers meaning your peers that go to the same school as you do. As an adult, you're measured against the general population - So you go from a small pond to a much larger pond, or rather from a small pool to a huge pool. So it's a lot harder to stand out as an adult than as a kid. So a lot of kids are treated like a big deal during their youth, but then are just ordinary in the adult world.
Old 2013-07-07, 08:38   Link #625
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
A shrewd observation indeed. Any educated guesses on which episode they might lock lips? I'm guessing Rin needs at least 2-3 episodes before he starts showing his dere mode, though at the moment it's all so Tsun-tsun.
Nah, I doubt there will be any kissing. The Fujoshis will count themselves lucky if even one of them accidentally spills mayonnaise on the other
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 08:44   Link #626
Skane
Anime Snark

Well, Haruka is already having wet dreams in the first episode.

Old 2013-07-07, 09:05   Link #627
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The fact that one might view Free characters as "feminine" is very likely because you never saw these traits portrayed in male characters, purely because you haven't seen much Shoujou manga. These character types are not new, and definitely not new for male characters. They are no less men than women in male oriented shows not being "feminine" enough.
Well said. I've been finding it odd that people in this thread have been complaining that the characters have been acting effeminately/like girls. What they really resemble is is anime character stereotypes, and neither real men nor real women act like those. It's just that, like you pointed out, some people are used to usually only seeing those stereotypes in female anime characters. Hence their confusion when talking to people with wider experiences.

I think earlier on in the thread some people were saying that when they said things like "they're acting like girls" they meant "they're acting like unrealistic moeblob anime girls", but working on the assumption that people will instantly guess an unstated position that girls = moeblob anime girls is not a great idea.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 09:14   Link #628
Blonto

Triple_R, that was very nicely put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Frankly neither anime women nor anime men are realistic. They are both archetypes; and the archetypes are actually interchangeable. The Tsundere, for example, was actually a male character type far earlier than before it became popular for female characters.

Just because I don't like shoujo doesn't mean I'm unfamiliar with the tropes. In fact I've watched (well, tried watching) a number of reverse harems so I know what they're going for.

Many women in male oriented shows are too feminine. They talk in an overdone cutesy, squeaky way or overdone polite way, they obsess over anything cute, they touch and hug eachother in an unnatural exaggerated manner, they're annoyingly enthusiastic and overreact to everything. Still, this is an overreaction that is at least somewhat grounded in reality (the whole "girls act girly" aspect). Doesn't make it any less annoying and uncreative, but still.

The guys here act in all ways anime girls act, they say cheesy stuff like "isn't this romantic?", they touch eachother way too much, they have distinctly feminine mannerisms, like covering their mouths when giggling, bobbing their heads to the side and calling each other -chan. That's not writing unrealistically, that's downright going out of your way to make guys act like moeblobs and it's not necessary for the tropes they're using.

Last edited by Blonto; 2013-07-07 at 11:23.
Old 2013-07-07, 09:22   Link #629
Skane
Anime Snark

Ouran High School Host Club?

Old 2013-07-07, 10:06   Link #630
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well this is hard.

Fan Artist Offers a Look at Gender Swapped "Free!"

Both Harukas are just hot.
Old 2013-07-07, 13:22   Link #631
kuromitsu

*reads some of the above posts*

*sits on hands, does not engage*

However, let me just say...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
With all this griping about ~realism~ I'd just like to note the rather distinct lack of realism in girl!Haruka's design, that apparently no-one has any problems with. :P (I mean, ever seen female swimmers? Yeah.)

(She's cute, though.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 13:57   Link #632
Blonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Well this is hard.

Fan Artist Offers a Look at Gender Swapped "Free!"

Both Harukas are just hot.
That's really well drawn. I'm gonna have to vote for female Haruka since straight hair doesn't do it for me on guys.

It would be unusual though if Haruka's character was female. Usually the main females of Kyoani shows tend to be eccentric and energetic girls. I don't think they've had the stoic/cynic trope in form of a female lead, but they do seem to love overusing the trope for their male leads.
Old 2013-07-07, 17:49   Link #633
ustatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
With all this griping about ~realism~ I'd just like to note the rather distinct lack of realism in girl!Haruka's design, that apparently no-one has any problems with. :P (I mean, ever seen female swimmers? Yeah.)
Doesn’t matter. A girl anime about swimming from KyoAni would be about drinking tea. Don’t know if it was posted already, (I don’t even know how old it is) but found this today:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
The guy on the left side already appeared in the preview for Ep2. So it’s safe to say that there will actually be some team matches between them. The cute teacher will be their coach and Gou the team manager, I hope at least, Riko was already a refreshing character in KnK.
ustatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 20:34   Link #634
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Well, Haruka is already having wet dreams in the first episode.

BADUMDISH!

Why are some of you harping on realism? Come on now....it's an anime for God's sake...

Or is this the new 'KYOANI RUINED MAH FANDOM THANKS FUJOSHITS'?

Girl Haruka is totally adorable.
Old 2013-07-07, 20:49   Link #635
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
like covering their mouths when giggling,[/B]
While I can agree with Nagisa being too effeminate and Makoto looking like having a little tendency, you're overreacting too much. I do cover my mouth when I giggle in certain situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Why are some of you harping on realism? Come on now....it's an anime for God's sake...
Because anime is realistic. Just like my waifu.
Old 2013-07-07, 21:11   Link #636
GundamZZ
残念美人

The first episode has a quite forgetable intro story, but the animation is great. The feel reminds me about Tari Tari and Kokoro Connect. The show has people meeting and talking to each other, but the story direction is vague. It was different from my initial expectation. I thought it will be another Water Boys 2001, the school comedy around the swimming pool.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 00:39   Link #637
Blonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
While I can agree with Nagisa being too effeminate and Makoto looking like having a little tendency, you're overreacting too much. I do cover my mouth when I giggle in certain situations.
I don't think that changes the fact that covering your mouth when giggling is very much a feminine gesture in Japan, and it doesn't help the guys' case when combined with the rest of their behavior.
Old 2013-07-08, 01:27   Link #638
rulfo

Quote:
I don't think that changes the fact that covering your mouth when giggling is very much a feminine gesture in Japan, and it doesn't help the guys' case when combined with the rest of their behavior.
So if me and my friends went to Japan and did this we just did a very unmanly like gesture?

Guess I should just straight out laugh out loud when I find something funny/silly and do an out of place laughter.
Old 2013-07-08, 02:05   Link #639
kuromitsu

Quote:
.....Uh, no, it's not. Sorry.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 02:17   Link #640
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Nah, I doubt there will be any kissing. The Fujoshis will count themselves lucky if even one of them accidentally spills mayonnaise on the other
As a fan of fanservice, I totally understand. May a jar of mayonnaise fall onto one of them or the entire male cast due to their proximity to each other. Best of luck to the Fujoshis. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids.

Errr... looking forward to the 2nd episode.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, fabulous, sports, water animation