AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-11, 23:02   Link #121
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I'm an obvious fan of Tale of Genji but why did they portrait her like that?

I never knew she made the Tale of Genji to promote Women empowerment who's the MC is so damn handsome and girls are so attractive of him!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 01:49   Link #122
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post

I never knew she made the Tale of Genji to promote Women empowerment who's the MC is so damn handsome and girls are so attractive of him!
Well, in reality there's no historical evidence that she wrote Tale of Genji for that purpose. Pretty much everything in the episode is a fanciful creation, though to be fair there isn't that much known about Murasaki (including her true name and year of death) so they were going to have to take some initiative to try and tell her story.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2012-09-12 at 11:43.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 06:40   Link #123
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Am I the only one who's still enjoying this show? I dont' find it depressing at all LOL...but then again, maybe I"m just a sap.

I quite enjoyed this episode though

Spoiler:
I'm still enjoying it. I don't find it depressing, but the conclusion of the stories haven't exactly been happy lately. The latest episode was another fine example of that.

I didn't expect this series to have yuri, even if it was platonic. A shame they couldn't see each other again.
Old 2012-09-12, 23:06   Link #124
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post

You know, I think they probaly exagerated Murasaki's story for the sake of the series
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 23:48   Link #125
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, in reality there's no historical evidence that she wrote Tale of Genji for that purpose. Pretty much everything in the episode is a fanciful creation, though to be fair there isn't that much known about Murasaki (including her true name and year of death) so they were going to have to take some initiative to try and tell her story.
Yeah, but if it was about Girl Power at all, it'd show in her writing. (That'd be the point.)

Maybe it's my modern perspective, but I don't think "handsome guy has his way with everyone, and raises the perfect girl as a devoted wife for himself" is all that feminist.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 00:40   Link #126
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah, but if it was about Girl Power at all, it'd show in her writing. (That'd be the point.)

Maybe it's my modern perspective, but I don't think "handsome guy has his way with everyone, and raises the perfect girl as a devoted wife for himself" is all that feminist.
I don't disagree - I'm just pointing out that whatever the mangaka came up with was going to be conjecture. There was an element of catering to a modern audience in the episode, that's undeniable.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 01:26   Link #127
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah. My point is that, while I don't mind inventions that fit in the cavernous unknown there is about those people (was there really an almost love story between Shonagon and Yukinari? Who knows? They worked at the same place at the same time, but that's all we know, so it could be anything from "they barely knew each other" to "they had a long lasting, torrid affair".)

But here, he invented something that's seems really odd with what we know of Murasaki. But then, I haven't read Genji, so what do I know?
Old 2012-09-13, 16:14   Link #128
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Oh boy. People misunderstood something I said...which I apologize for...

By Girl Power, I meant the episode itself. Not the story...obviously 'handsome guy who's lusted after everyone' isn't feminist by any means...
Old 2012-09-17, 15:59   Link #129
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for 12:
Old 2012-09-17, 21:10   Link #130
Markerlight

Well that sure was depressing.

Spoiler:
Old 2012-09-18, 16:02   Link #131
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Another friggin depressing story. And repetitive to boot.
Old 2012-09-18, 16:43   Link #132
NoemiChan
Banned

This guy God damn lucky to have a little girl fall in love with him... Quite depressing since it's true love yet it didn't work out no matter how hard thy tried....
Old 2012-09-20, 08:22   Link #133
Kirarakim

This was definitely the saddest of the stories. Yes in most of the other stories the main couple did not get together but I felt all those relationships ended on a positive note with the notion that it was better to have loved than to have not loved at all.

While I am sure this couple feels this was too, I also feel the girl's thoughts that the men chose reputation over love (even though she did not feel bitter towards her father or lover) was what was really depressing, not that they didn't end up together.

Her hopes and dreams were pretty much shattered for a more bitter reality. And it's not like she had the goal of poetry or writing the story of friend to keep her going.
Old 2012-09-20, 09:19   Link #134
Mazyrian

Yeah, pretty depressing episode. Then I checked the wikipedia article and got even more depressed.
Old 2012-09-20, 19:50   Link #135
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

So who was Masako and the man supposed to be in reality?
Old 2012-09-20, 22:31   Link #136
Mazyrian

According to Japanese wikipedia, themselves (though Masako seems to be more usually spelled Toushi). Masako did have an affair with Michimasa.
Old 2012-09-21, 01:29   Link #137
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
This was definitely the saddest of the stories. Yes in most of the other stories the main couple did not get together but I felt all those relationships ended on a positive note with the notion that it was better to have loved than to have not loved at all.

While I am sure this couple feels this was too, I also feel the girl's thoughts that the men chose reputation over love (even though she did not feel bitter towards her father or lover) was what was really depressing, not that they didn't end up together.

Her hopes and dreams were pretty much shattered for a more bitter reality. And it's not like she had the goal of poetry or writing the story of friend to keep her going.
Yeah... Here the girl had a purity that the others didn't. They all had their little dreams, but ultimately they knew the score. Here... She went into it really believing they'd be together in the end.
Old 2012-09-24, 17:29   Link #138
Dop
Mmmm....

No wacky anachronistic comedy hi-jinks this week, but instead it concentrated on another beautiful and tragic story of love that could not be.

A beautifully melancholy series finale. I started watching this show out of curiosity (and because I'd watched Chihayafuru, which I suspect led a number of people into this show) but I've really enjoyed it (well, if you can count watching tragic stories of doomed love as 'enjoyment') more than I had expected.

Very bittersweet. I loved it.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 18:25   Link #139
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

A bittersweet ending, but I can't honestly say I did not foresee that.

I love the bit where Teika says that poetry is alive. I couldn't agree more.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 17:03   Link #140
NoemiChan
Banned

Another "dead" love.... God

Tags
historical, josei, romance