AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 39 21.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 16.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 46 25.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 35 19.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 9.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 3.37%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-18, 11:09   Link #361
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well, I've been out of the loop since Thursday so I just finally got to watch the new episode.

"Where do you buy dynamite?"

I knew it was coming and that line still got me. One of Haruhi's best lines.
Old 2009-08-18, 11:13   Link #362
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Well, I've been out of the loop since Thursday so I just finally got to watch the new episode.

"Where do you buy dynamite?"

I knew it was coming and that line still got me. One of Haruhi's best lines.
I had samesies. It's funny because we all know that this is srs bzns for her, and she acts like everything is at her disposal. Which, ironically, is true.
Old 2009-08-18, 23:41   Link #363
VentAileron

Kyon's 'nick of time' is probably mocking him for always arriving a few seconds later than the other SOS-members at their usual meeting spot. Which Haruhi probably wished for so she could scold Kyon and have an excuse to let him pay the bills; how else do you explain such a coincidence?
Old 2009-08-19, 00:00   Link #364
OkamiNoKaze

I thought of it as a "4th wall" reference to Endless 8
Old 2009-08-19, 00:18   Link #365
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
how else do you explain such a coincidence?
If you're referring to everyone always arriving before Kyon, Haruhi could always be rounding up the other members prior to the meetings, which she intentionally sets for being a half hour after she plans on arriving there.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-19, 06:18   Link #366
Airman8
Helvetica Standard

This episode reminded me of how extreme some of Haruhi's behaviour was in Sighs... Kyon and Mikuru looked totally disturbed and weirded out by her, and I actually felt the same while watching! I kept thinking, "what the hell is she doing??" Considering Tanigawa wrote this script he must have had a reason for how the tea scene played out.

I agree that the pacing of Sighs just isn't quite as good as the other long stories, but I think it deals with some interesting ideas. I think it's the first glimpse we have of Haruhi plotting and scheming something of her own free will instead of being provided with entertainment (Boredom, Lone Island Syndrome) or affecting things unconsciously (E8). The way she's treating the brigade members at this point is just crazy, and a lot more harsh than the Haruhi we see by the time of the festival (Live a Live).

As for the animation, I see what people mean, but I'm wondering if they're trying to change the style depending on the mood of the story? Maybe I'm being optimistic here.
Old 2009-08-19, 10:58   Link #367
freakonboard

Regarding tea spilling, I think the simple explanation is that it's just Haruhi's jealously.

Kyon looked at Mikuru and then at Yuki, so Haruhi just wanted to punish him & brought him some attention (in her own way)

And IMHO she was not that serious, cause she even hold the tray firmly so that Kyon could pick the cup up easily.

For Hirano Aya as Haruhi, she already played as Haruhi in TVCM for 2006 version.
Old 2009-08-19, 11:12   Link #368
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonboard View Post
Regarding tea spilling, I think the simple explanation is that it's just Haruhi's jealously.

Kyon looked at Mikuru and then at Yuki, so Haruhi just wanted to punish him & brought him some attention (in her own way)

And IMHO she was not that serious, cause she even hold the tray firmly so that Kyon could pick the cup up easily.
This is quite true. Haruhi noticed and remarked about Kyon going all Mugi-Vision on Mikuru. So, naturally, she tries to make Mikuru less attractive to Kyon by encouraging her to shower him with hot tea. And then decides to couch pouring and serving Kyon tea ("Look, I can do the hot meido thing too!") in a non-serious-in-the-Serious-Haruhi-is-Serious way 'demonstration' to Mikuru.

Why she isn't more openly jealous . . . well, she's in the process of planning her Latest scheme to enhance Kyon's suffering movie.
Old 2009-08-19, 11:48   Link #369
freakonboard

Here are some pics, just in case someone didn't notice.

Old 2009-08-19, 12:36   Link #370
typhonsentra

Old 2009-08-19, 12:48   Link #371
freakonboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
That's why they are closed friends.

Old 2009-08-19, 12:48   Link #372
Peanutbutter

I've been noticing Kunikida and Taniguchi didn't blink at all throughout their scene.

Kyoani is really slipping.
Old 2009-08-19, 14:27   Link #373
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Kyoani is really slipping.
That's easily the worst animated scene in the episode. There are much better ones...
Old 2009-08-19, 14:30   Link #374
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
I've been noticing Kunikida and Taniguchi didn't blink at all throughout their scene.
It's worse than even that. Their facial expressions don't change at all, except for that one eye shift, and Tainiguchi's cat call. It's so bad it's funny!

It's pretty obvious that KyoAni is going on the cheap with their animation/art work. If this is due to legitimate financial concerns (i.e. they're running low on cash), then I can't really blame them, of course.
Old 2009-08-19, 14:42   Link #375
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's pretty obvious that KyoAni is going on the cheap with their animation/art work. If this is due to legitimate financial concerns (i.e. they're running low on cash), then I can't really blame them, of course.
Well, we can't really tell how much KyoAni is making since they're not a public trading company. But there are definitely reasons why budget is skimpy.
Old 2009-08-19, 14:53   Link #376
Akka

Quote:
If this is due to legitimate financial concerns (i.e. they're running low on cash), then I can't really blame them, of course.
You better be kidding.
If they are low on cash after wasting so much ressources on E8, then that's precisely what we can NOT forgive
Old 2009-08-19, 15:11   Link #377
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
You better be kidding.
If they are low on cash after wasting so much ressources on E8, then that's precisely what we can NOT forgive
... On the one hand, it was nice to see the art teams put so much effort into E8 in spite of the repetition arc concept. On the other hand... it did cross my mind a couple times during E8, "You know, KyoAni/Kadokawa could save a whole hell of a lot of money here if they wanted to. Two words: Stock Footage".

I have to admit, it's baffling that E8 had fewer bad animation moments than the latest episode of Haruhi had.
Old 2009-08-19, 15:13   Link #378
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
You better be kidding.
I'm more of unforgiving that they blew off making a proper extension of the series when they had the resources to do it good and instead waited until they didn't have the resources to do it well.
Quote:
I have to admit, it's baffling that E8 had fewer bad animation moments than the latest episode of Haruhi had.
Probably because after doing a variation of a scene 12 times you learn to get it done in a more or less acceptable fashion.
Old 2009-08-19, 15:28   Link #379
typhonsentra

Not to mention.... they're far and away the most profitable studio in the business right now. Seriously, their worst selling title in 3+ years (Note: Can't find figures for Munto TV) is Haruhi-chan at around 14k per disc. Do any of you realize how crazy that is? Most companies consider anything close to that, for reference according to the sales thread on this forum, companies like J.C. Staff have NEVER, not even once had a series that averaged as high as this, KyoAni's worst (On Record) performing series since the last season of Haruhi. And since we haven't heard any news of major expansions to the studio, or new expenses, there REALLY is no reason for any of this.

Edit: One mistake: Azumanga Daioh is JC Staff's best performer at around 25k per disc. But that was a very very long time ago and they haven't had a comparable hit since.

Last edited by typhonsentra; 2009-08-19 at 15:42.
Old 2009-08-19, 15:34   Link #380
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Not to mention.... they're far and away the most profitable studio in the business right now. Seriously, their worst selling title in 3+ years (Note: Can't find figures for Munto TV) is Haruhi-chan at around 14k per disc. Do any of you realize how crazy that is? Most companies consider anything close to that, for reference according to the sales thread on this forum, companies like J.C. Staff have NEVER, not even once had a series that averaged as high as this, KyoAni's worst (On Record) performing series since the last season of Haruhi. And since we haven't heard any news of major expansions to the studio, or new expenses, there REALLY is no reason for any of this.
Thanks for the info.

I think I see the problem then. Sheer decadence/hubris. KyoAni is so hugely successful vis a vis other animation studios that they feel like they can just take it easy, and the money will keep flowing in. Of course, they may very well be right...