AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-22, 11:52   Link #32301
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Economist is liberal? That is news to me, I stopped reading it after I realize every piece in Asia has to include at least one hit on China.

Oh Taiwan is hosting an referendum on homosexuality? China must be raging because it is not like Taiwan held hundreds of elections and referendums in the past.

Executing Drug Dealer in China? Affront to human rights everywhere (Never mind Singapore and Vietnam both do it)

8 Years old practicing martial arts? How cute, lets put it on the centerfold and use it to discuss how Chinese are out to attack westerners on the street.

Asian students standing in front of Columbia? Who knows if they are Chinese. Lets use them as a centerfold for allegedly fake Chinese diplomas.

Even when situations don't involve China at all (Such as the Japan-Russia Island Dispute), they have to insert a line about CHINA.

And of course, how liberal of them to say Bankers are being overpunished. Lol.
Old 2013-12-22, 12:23   Link #32302
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Note : Singapore only execute drug RUNNERS. Not drug dealers. It is just a way of saving face when you are unable to enforce your anti-drug laws on the more powerful and politically connected drug DEALERS.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-12-22, 12:26   Link #32303
Zakoo

Economist is ultra liberal, the country it prefers is Somalia, no state at all, a heaven I dare say.
Old 2013-12-22, 12:28   Link #32304
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I cannot corroborate my opinion, however I think it is quite easy to mix petrol and fertiliser, then sealing it in a large bag after duct-taping an egg-timer wired out of it.

I agree both are as deadly, but taking away guns don't solve the problem unless you are going to lock them in a Class C ward too.
If you already have a gun, all it takes is a few minutes of being really angry. How many people have, on hand, for no nefarious reasons, all that stuff you just listed? In large enough quantities? In an urban setting where most violence takes place? And how long does it take to get it ready? And you say egg timer, but what if you want to aim your violence at somebody in particular?
Old 2013-12-22, 12:33   Link #32305
Bri

The economist is libertarian rather than liberal. Welcoming young skilled Eastern European workers will not endear them to either Labor and the Conservatives and Euro/xenophobic elements in general but this reaction is true to their ideals.

The article ignores is the problems of the British working class, is even disrespectful to them, and less successful migrant populations who both are ill-equipped to compete in the labor market with the influx of young low wage workers.
Old 2013-12-22, 12:34   Link #32306
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
If you already have a gun, all it takes is a few minutes of being really angry. How many people have, on hand, for no nefarious reasons, all that stuff you just listed? In large enough quantities? In an urban setting where most violence takes place? And how long does it take to get it ready? And you say egg timer, but what if you want to aim your violence at somebody in particular?
That is one aspect I didn't take into account. What I was thinking is that the person is all out on vengeance like school shootings at the scale of Columbine, well-plotted and methodically executed.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-12-22, 13:17   Link #32307
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Those things hardly matter, statistically speaking.
Old 2013-12-22, 22:31   Link #32308
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

http://reason.com/archives/2013/12/1...roven-innocent

Asian college student expelled for having sex with white girl.
Old 2013-12-22, 22:51   Link #32309
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post

So it was inside a school? I thought it was in the infirmary, in the school gym or at the back of the school...^^
Old 2013-12-22, 23:09   Link #32310
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
I live in the UK. Official immigration statistics show the majority of foreign immigrants coming to the UK are from Africa and the Asian subcontinent. The British media focuses on those coming from Eastern Europe as a distraction and of course tries to fuel xenophobia and fear among the British working class of foreigners coming to steal their jobs, but our government (like any corrupt plutocracy) welcomes desperate foreign immigrants who will work for less and increase corporate profits. The whole "we're going to do something about immigration" is just a front to make it seem like they care about the UK working class but as is known corporations have no national allegiance. We are heading towards neo-feudalism at a slightly slower pace than the US, but we're heading there nonetheless.
The key isn't xenophobia. That never works, and is bad for everyone. The key is integration. The next generation -- and with enough effort, the current generation -- of dark-skinned South Asians in Britain will be just as British as Byron and Shelley. You just need to redefine what it means to be "British" for a bit (and yes, that will happen regardless).

And then they are going to expect good living wages, civil rights, and opportunities. A united front of the working class everywhere, regardless of place of origin or cultural barriers, proffers a far stronger voice with which to negotiate, or acquire by force if necessary, a more equitable distribution of society's wealth and opportunities.

You can hurry this process along through good policies, in terms of cultural integration and economic integration both, and you don't have to give in and let reactionary scum enslave daughters-in-law like "back home in Rajasthan" and allow mercy killings to be culturally sensitive. It's not easy of course; it's never easy. But the alternative, xenophobia, is the path to stagnation and, likely, human suffering.

But Divide et Impera always works. The British working class are victims of their own xenophobia. They'd rather hate Pakistanis and Poles than dear Eton-raised Cameron and his peers. Just like the white Americans hate Mexicans "taking our jobs," as those before them hated their Irish and Italian ancestors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin
Economist is liberal?
Market liberalism is a different creature. To which I mean, they are right wing, but not of the UKIP nationalist sort. They are the liberals as liberals were understood to be before the rise of modern social liberalism.

To the Economist, sense and sensibility speaks to the notion of capitalist market liberalism and Western liberal political ideology.

They are blind to the crimes of bankers and the fundamental oppression of capitalism and tends to be on the realpolitik side in global flashpoint issues -- they are the Establishment -- and they often reject egalitarian policies out of an ideological loyalty to capitalism, but they also stringently oppose the sort of open authoritarianism that are on display on so much of the world, and have precious little patience for dictators and their shenanigans. And they are not traditionalists. They just nominated Uruguay as their Country of the Year (with a pointed shot at how Times judge their Person of the Year included) for support of gay marriage, "which has increased the global sum of human happiness at no financial cost." A very telling phrase.

On the other point, despite your self-appointed role as the local CCP Politburo representative, you should at least recognize that when the Economist displays fear or criticism of China (and they don't always do so -- they often applaud Chinese economic progress), they are speaking the same language that the intellectual elites of the West, in diplomatic circles and elsewhere, are speaking. And if China looms large in their thoughts to you, congratulations, the PRC is now one of the big boys. You might also wonder why so many people in so many places are so very wary of the PRC's flexing of its newfound power.
Old 2013-12-23, 01:32   Link #32311
sa547
*Author

Quote:

Another reason why I'll stay in this country (see location) until my number is up.
Old 2013-12-23, 01:46   Link #32312
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:

Couldn't you just go with the title of the article rather than bringing ethnicity into your opinion? The other two people who are facing similar problem as Yu don't sound "Asian." The article also doesn't tell us if those other two also had sex with "white girl." Rather than ethnicity, the issue there seem to be the bias against one sex over the other when it comes to initiating intercourse whether it's mutual or not.

Can you do me a favor and show a bit more restraint in the future? A neutral point of view is easier to digest and you also aren't insulting anyone's intelligence in the process.
Old 2013-12-23, 02:09   Link #32313
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:

Geh... Did you actually read the article? It's not about race. It's about the nazi school system that simply assume the accused as guilt and get it over it fast.

Look at what is said here:

Quote:
Last February, one year after the encounter, the other shoe dropped: Yu was informed that Walker had filed charges of "nonconsensual sexual contact" against him through the college disciplinary system. Two and a half weeks later, a hearing was held before a panel of three faculty members. Yu was not allowed an attorney; his request to call his roommate and Walker's roommate as witnesses was denied after the campus "gender equity compliance investigator" said that the roommates had emailed him but had "nothing useful" to offer. While the records from the hearing are sealed, Yu claims his attempts to cross-examine his accuser were repeatedly stymied. Many of his questions (including ones about Walker's friendly messages, which she had earlier told the investigator she sent out of "fear") were barred as "irrelevant"; he says that when he was allowed to question Walker, she would start crying and give evasive or nonresponsive answers. Yu was found guilty and summarily expelled from Vassar.

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2013-12-23 at 02:21.
Old 2013-12-23, 03:09   Link #32314
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Another reason why I'll stay in this country (see location) until my number is up.
And then you see stuff like this from police officials...

NCRPO bans caps for mall-goers
Quote:
MANILA, Philippines - After a ban on buying hammers, shoppers will now be told not to wear caps in malls to prevent robberies, a police official said yesterday.
Old 2013-12-23, 03:57   Link #32315
HasuMasu
*Artist

I hope that doesn't include beanies...
Old 2013-12-23, 04:03   Link #32316
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I think only Jejepeeps wear caps and hats inside an SM or a Robinson's.
Old 2013-12-23, 04:43   Link #32317
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

And I thought the (unsucessful) banning of flat-chest women from driving motorcycle in Vietnam is weird...
Old 2013-12-23, 05:38   Link #32318
killer3000ad

Quote:

Your misleading description is misleading. Race has nothing to do with this case, more like the campus authorities are using biased kangaroo courts that stymies one side from having a fair chance at defending themselves, no doubt a kneejerk reaction to past incidents where the alleged rapists were star athletes, which made it hard for the victims to get justice. Two wrongs don't make a right however, and I hope Yu and the others get a fair hearing about the circumstances of their expulsion.

Anyway,

Girl dies from peanut allergy attack after being denied antidote from pharmacy as she did not have a prescription
I sympathize with the girl's family but:
1. Not bringing your own EpiPen everywhere with you when you know you have a potentially fatal allergy to something present in a lot of food
2. Not reading the label on the sauce which says it contains nuts
These were two steps the family and girl could have taken themselves to avoid this situation. Not saying the pharmacist lacked some frigging common sense, or was worried about his own job, but.....

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2013-12-23 at 09:03.
Old 2013-12-23, 09:02   Link #32319
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Economist is ultra liberal, the country it prefers is Somalia, no state at all, a heaven I dare say.
You are thinking of Port Royal...let the rum flow ARRRR

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up on what institution NOT to go to in future.....
Old 2013-12-23, 09:14   Link #32320
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Your misleading description is misleading. Race has nothing to do with this case, more like the campus authorities are using biased kangaroo courts that stymies one side from having a fair chance at defending themselves, no doubt a kneejerk reaction to past incidents where the alleged rapists were star athletes, which made it hard for the victims to get justice. Two wrongs don't make a right however, and I hope Yu and the others get a fair hearing about the circumstances of their expulsion.

Anyway,

Girl dies from peanut allergy attack after being denied antidote from pharmacy as she did not have a prescription
I sympathize with the girl's family but:
1. Not bringing your own EpiPen everywhere with you when you know you have a potentially fatal allergy to something present in a lot of food
2. Not reading the label on the sauce which says it contains nuts
These were two steps the family and girl could have taken themselves to avoid this situation. Not saying the pharmacist lacked some frigging common sense, or was worried about his own job, but.....
Fixed. When you have a fatal allergy, just bring along a couple f***ing Epipen. Sometimes the labels may be worn off, etc, or you will eat things by mistake.

P.S Btw, remember to get lots of insurance for the person with nut allergy if you are visiting Singapore. That thing costs $100+ here per shot and you may not be allowed to bring it in as it is a controlled drug.

In short? The person with the nut allergy is highly likely going to die. Might as well cash in on his/her death. *sarcastic*

Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international