AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon 2006 Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 235 52.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 135 30.07%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 8.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 25 5.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 2.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 0.89%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.45%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-03-27, 20:17   Link #221
Codine

Just finished watching this again for the second time. It's still amazing and I don't think I'll see any anime better in quite some time. I've noticed so much more the second time watching it. The pacing is just so perfect and made me remember why I was hyped up about Clannad, but to my dismay they were very different -.-.
Ohh well Kanon 2006 still remains as my favorite anime of all time. I just wish there would be an OVA or movie already...well actually skip the movie and just go for the OVA..I've never really liked their movies...
Codine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 21:57   Link #222
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

Key and KeoAni come through...

After spending considerable time in the CLANNAD threads it became increasingly frustrating having to avoid the Kanon spoilers that frequently appeared, so I made it a priority to watch the series.

Overall great title. The added fantasy aspect gave it a unique flavor and made for some extremely dramatic moments. A few minor issues became apparent as I moved through the series, but nothing that spoiled my viewing experience. For example, it was slightly frustrating watching the girls get heavily involved with Yuichi only to seemingly (and sometimes literally) disappear as if they never existed. It's an understandable issue considering the limited amount of time to fit so much relationship development into however.

I really liked Nayuki...her VA work was adorable, and her character design fit perfectly. Unfortunately she didn't get much time with Yuichi, but it worked out well in the end.

Also, the music was great. I don't listen through the openings regularly, but I did with Kanon.
mikesince83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 20:23   Link #223
Shana

I don't like Kanon to be compared to Clannad. Each show is different.

Kanon had a big plot, each girl developed very, very good. Though they didn't put teh kiss ;_;. Anyways, I liked Makoto's arc so much, funny but used to many episodes on it, because of that they "rushed" Mai's and Sayuri's arc, though they introduced them very very soon in the series and had some unpayable moments xD. And no pantsu in the Mai, Sayuri and Nayuki trip ><.

I was so scared of watching ep23-24, because it could make me cry. It made me cry, but that's what made me give it a 9/10, not every anime makes me cry, not being prideful, I mean, it had some "powerful" plot made me cry of how beautiful it was, the ending.

Well, Kanon ftw Have to watch the Toei series~
Old 2008-04-09, 01:06   Link #224
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

sry posted on wrong thread
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 14:29   Link #225
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana View Post
Though they didn't put teh kiss ;_;.
I might be misunderstanding what you are getting at here, but there was a kiss scene between Yuuichi and Ayu. You couldn't have possibly missed that one
Old 2008-04-09, 21:11   Link #226
Claude

Send a message via AIM to Claude Send a message via Yahoo to Claude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I might be misunderstanding what you are getting at here, but there was a kiss scene between Yuuichi and Ayu. You couldn't have possibly missed that one
I think it was

Spoiler for Episode Number:
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 19:39   Link #227
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codine View Post
Just finished watching this again for the second time. It's still amazing and I don't think I'll see any anime better in quite some time. I've noticed so much more the second time watching it. The pacing is just so perfect and made me remember why I was hyped up about Clannad, but to my dismay they were very different -.-.
I find that I generally don't want to watch two anime that are too similar, eh?
Sometimes it's better to be a little different, then you can rewatch both of them whenever you want to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codine View Post
Ohh well Kanon 2006 still remains as my favorite anime of all time. I just wish there would be an OVA or movie already...well actually skip the movie and just go for the OVA..I've never really liked their movies...
I don't think KyoAni has ever made a movie, have they?
Eh.

I doubt that an OVA is needed.
It would just seem like a blatant attempt to make more money off of the Kanon franchise.
The way the anime left it just open enough, not requiring an OVA except for maybe a bit more godly sakuga and comic relief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana View Post
Though they didn't put teh kiss ;_;.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Ehh?
I'm pretty sure it was the kiss scene that redefined kiss scenes.
How sorry I am for whoever missed that scene...

Well, Kanon was one of the first anime that I saw, back in the day. Since then I've rewatched it, and it's been a favourite of mine this whole time.
I'll give it a mildly thorough rating based on my own system, seeing as I have no idea what "editing" entails, and have not played the original game.

Animation Quality: 10
As expected from KyoAni, is it not?
Character designs were reminiscent of Air's (obviously), and I had gotten used to and grown fond of them by the time I watched Kanon. Scenery, skies, eyes, the taiyaki, almost every single piece of the animation was stunning. Easy 10.

Voice Actors: 9
Here's where it gets subjective and difficult to judge. As a fan of Yui Horie, Yukari Tamura, and Tomokazu Sugita, the voice acting was great, in my opinion. My sole qualm is that Yukari Tamura was playing the silent Mai in both adaptations as opposed to her usual, more energetic characters.

Script: 9
The script was simply excellent. It handled dramatic moments amazingly, and the comic relief between arc climaxes was humourous and always entertaining. However, it had not explained some of the fantasy elements of the story (Ayu's dream-ish appearance) as well as it could have. Another problem I found with Kyoto's two earlier Key adaptations is that the characters seemed to simply disappear following the end of their arc. This was changed in Clannad, though only somewhat for our starfish girl.

Music: 8
For some reason, I did not find Kanon's OST and BGM to be as amazing as I've hear many others tell me. Of course, I recently rewatched ef ~ a tale of memories, and am currently listening to its BGM, so comparison may be a bit difficult. The music did very well when it needed to though, Mai's Shoujo no Ori BGM song created the perfect climactic scene near the end of her arc, and several of the other songs were great as well. The OP was slow and soft, but it was one of my favourites for a while after seeing Kanon. The ED theme didn't quite "get me" as much, but its quicker, lighthearted beat was catchy, and it did well to create a mood for the ending of an episode.

Emotional Involvement: 9
Kanon was one of the most emotionally involving anime that I have seen, each character's arc left me feeling something deep for that character, whether it be empathy, sympathy, or sadness. However, Ayu's arc was one that didn't quite touch me as the others had. It felt a bit rushed in the clearing, though it was a well-written.

Overall: 9/10.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 21:52   Link #228
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

I'll give this anime a 8/10 although i really enjoyed watching it. It had all the nice things from KyoAni's series and the drama-romantic-fantasy plot was really nice. But still there were somethings that i didnt like
*The Ayu / Yuichi love relantionship didnt convince me at all... there was no development or any hint given until they suddenly kiss in episode 19. No chemistry at all.

*About the ending, after Yuichi remembers everything all he cared was chasing after Ayu, leaving Nayuki alone while her mom was in a coma. Shiro and Mai were also igored even though Shiro was about to die anytime. I really feel sorry for Nayuki >.<
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 02:36   Link #229
revive4563

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
*About the ending, after Yuichi remembers everything all he cared was chasing after Ayu, leaving Nayuki alone while her mom was in a coma. Shiro and Mai were also igored even though Shiro was about to die anytime. I really feel sorry for Nayuki >.<
Yes, I really like Kanon's plot but this IS a major problem of the anime version.
Because originally, Kanon was a visual novel game which has multi stories/endings as I said.
So basically I think that the story of all girls except Ayu is not completed if Yuuichi chooses Ayu.
Especially, Nayuki and Makoto... ;(

Last edited by revive4563; 2008-04-15 at 02:57.
revive4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 11:38   Link #230
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Animation Quality: 10

Voice Actors: 9

Script: 1

i have no idea about the game and the editing.

no one here finds the story way... too out of whacked?
kingsky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 11:45   Link #231
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsky123 View Post
Willing suspension of disbelief?
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 12:51   Link #232
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Continue?

After the first major arc, I thought it could be safely assumed that there was a bit of supernatural leanings going on in this show. How far they took it (the mega-uber-ultra miracle at the end) did seem a bit of a stretch for my tastes, but I wouldn't call it whacked.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 11:55   Link #233
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
Continue?

After the first major arc, I thought it could be safely assumed that there was a bit of supernatural leanings going on in this show. How far they took it (the mega-uber-ultra miracle at the end) did seem a bit of a stretch for my tastes, but I wouldn't call it whacked.
er... there is a foxgirl, a girl dying from some form of cancer, a childhood spirit thing, a girl with so much magic she creates spawns of evil. i thought it was some sort of romance, not something like that...yea and that disturbing deus ex machinima
kingsky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 20:27   Link #234
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
Rather that a flaw in the plot, this was one of the points that made the show for me. Simply put, Yuichi acted very similar to a real person; at a point of crises, he shuts out the rest of the world and retreats to one, single problem--everything else had become overwhelming. It's not as pretty as fiction, but it is how real people act. Of course, this is fiction; so everything does work out at the end.

Yuichi really was the character that made this show for me. He's a nice guy that does a great job of straddling the line between total pushover ("can't say no Kaoru" AYA) and over the top trying to look cool jerk (Manaka Junpei, I-100%). He just feels more "real" than the standard seinan-romance hero.
billborden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 03:14   Link #235
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
er... there is a foxgirl, a girl dying from some form of cancer, a childhood spirit thing, a girl with so much magic she creates spawns of evil. i thought it was some sort of romance, not something like that...yea and that disturbing deus ex machinima
Higurashi has...
Spoiler for Higurashi:

Kanon has in a magical city:
A fox whose spirit lets it live as a human for a short time, a girl with an extended disease, a girl in a coma whose spirit is wandering through a "dream", a girl whose previous experiences recreate demons, and a cousin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billborden View Post
Yuichi really was the character that made this show for me. He's a nice guy that does a great job of straddling the line between total pushover ("can't say no Kaoru" AYA) and over the top trying to look cool jerk (Manaka Junpei, I-100%). He just feels more "real" than the standard seinan-romance hero.
Ichigo 100% is far from seinen.
You may have mixed it up a bit, since seinen romance (if it can be called "seinen") is very different from shounen romance.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 04:14   Link #236
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Ichigo 100% is far from seinen.
You may have mixed it up a bit, since seinen romance (if it can be called "seinen") is very different from shounen romance.
My apologies, I forgot that it did originate in SJ. I was being too specific--I should have said "male-oriented romance". I just tend to think of shonen romances as excessively silly a la "Girls bravo" or "Hanaukyo Maid Tai"; so I tend to forget there are a few semi-serious ones.

That being said, I am confused by "(if it can be called "seinen")"? What is the antecedent for the it: Kanon, I-100%, romance?
Old 2008-05-15, 23:19   Link #237
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

This was amazing
I wish that I would've watched this series sooner.
It really is an emotional rollercoaster. It really pulls me in.
I'm glad I got a the priviledge to watch this series
I'd like to think Makoto is still "alive" somehow ^.^

What an amazing series.
radioIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 21:09   Link #238
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioIzzy View Post
I'd like to think Makoto is still "alive" somehow ^.^
If you can find it, take a look at the special, "Kazahana", from the first Kanon TV series. The art is slightly different, but you might like the ending.
Old 2008-07-04, 01:13   Link #239
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Kanon. A great series that covers the whole gamete of emotions and features many endearing personas.

First, I have a very long interpretation of the how some of the more magical events occur in Kanon, and how I interpretted the meaning of the last episode on the rest of the series as a whole before I get onto a broader review of the series.

Spoiler for on the entire series:

"The same melody repeats itself... as the song gradually grows richer and more beautiful. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could also live seemingly constant lives... while experiencing changes bit by bit...
Spoiler for Sayuri:
" (Eps 14, from the A.F.K. fansub.)

The best scenes of the series were the ones with small surprises and seeing the characters work through the tough times with a smile on.
Spoiler for Makoto, Sayuri, Shiori:
These were the times when Kanon 2006 was at it's best.

When Kanon wasn't at it's best I felt, was when it got a bit overly melodramatic toward the end. Plus the convoluted last episode, although giving me a serious helping of food for thought, ultimately distracted me from basking in the afterglow of a wonderful series. I watched the series twice, once in '07 and I just finished it again just now. I had forgotten how great some of the scenes towards the middle were the first time I viewed them, I had the impression that the series was fun, lighthearted, with a bit of drama towards the middle and the end after my first viewing. But I forgot how touching some of the scenes were in the middle.

I also really liked the music. (I suppose this is more of a comment aimed towards the game than the anime.) The music was used much better in the 2006 version than in the 2002 version, I think the 2002 version used a lot of original songs and too many sampled songs which didn't capture or add anything new to the originals. The 2006 version also used a few sampled songs, which I think would have been better served by just using the original. But they had some successes as well, I liked the use of the Last Regrets acoustic version as well as the karaoke version of it.

I would have liked to seen the characters in more happier settings more often. A la Shiori's arc, during her arc, they seemed to be having so much fun. Ayu and Nayuki's arc were so "Uguu!". Anyway I seem to be winding down now. I would have liked another episode that got back to the characters having fun much like the first few episodes of the series to give the viewer more closure. I think an OVA would be perfect for this series.

Overall I gave Kanon a 9/10.

11-02-08 Edit:
Spoiler for Makoto's arc and ending:

Last edited by Ceral; 2008-11-02 at 20:40. Reason: Makoto Comment
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 13:22   Link #240
fallin up
my life is a harem

this anime should be a perfect ten.

great story

great animation by kyoto

overall an anime that could make any grown man cry.
fallin up is offline   Reply With Quote