Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-07-17, 12:57   Link #501
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Who would be a perfect Roberta in live action?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
As for an actress for live-action Roberta (why?), I'd say go for a South/Central American actress.
Actually, I've got a good candidate for Roberta: Brazilian actress Alice Braga.

She was most recently seen in the latest Predators movie and, prior to that, she starred opposite Jude Law in Repo Men.

As for the OVA episode, it's pretty much par for the course with regard to Black Lagoon. I wasn't the biggest fan of the first season, having found it mostly over-the-top, so I'm not as thrilled as some fans are to see the Bloodhound's return. Still, the new addition has been a good watch, and if they do develop Rock's character a bit further as some have hinted, then it'll be even better by me.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 13:52   Link #502
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Personally I don't really find Roberta that interesting to me. I don't know what is so interesting about maids and guns. But it is Black Lagoon so yeah, nice to watch for fun again.
Old 2010-07-17, 19:59   Link #503
ElizLestrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Personally I don't really find Roberta that interesting to me. I don't know what is so interesting about maids and guns. But it is Black Lagoon so yeah, nice to watch for fun again.
Well I know for me my liking of Roberta has nothing to do with the whole maid thing but the fact that:

1. She can go from being this sweet timid flower to a unstoppable killing machine at the drop of a hat.

2. Her lightning fast agility and combat prowess.

3. Absolutely unstoppable and could take down even Revy.

4. Her search for some sort of redemption or inner peace for herself and her desire to leave her painful past behind her.

5. Her sense of honor and duty towards the man who took her in and looked after her even when he didnt have to.

I think if I had to list my favorites though it would have to be:

1. Balalaika
2. Revy / Mr. Chang (Tied)
3. Roberta
4. Sawyer the Cleaner
5. Eda / Shen-hua

Last edited by ElizLestrad; 2010-08-08 at 22:30.
ElizLestrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 20:08   Link #504
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizLestrad View Post
Back to topic though, anyone hear anything on when the subbed version of the complete episode 1 is going to be released. Ive looked around and havnt seen anything about it yet.
We can't talk that about subbing since this is a licensed series.

But I will inquire about the 'complete' part. We didn't get the entire episode already? I'm confused.
Old 2010-07-17, 21:37   Link #505
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
We can't talk that about subbing since this is a licensed series.

But I will inquire about the 'complete' part. We didn't get the entire episode already? I'm confused.
The "TV edit" version of the episode aired back in June (the version that you most likely saw). The full length version will be released on DVD/BR later this month.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 23:25   Link #506
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Actually, I've got a good candidate for Roberta: Brazilian actress Alice Braga.
I saw that movie last week, and I too think she would be a great fit. The only question is if she can match Roberta's intensity in real life.

Granted, Roberta is an over-the-top character in an anime. When let off her 'leash', she's a bloodthirsty killling machine. To translate her intensity and personality in live action terms might be a bit difficult.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 01:32   Link #507
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
I saw that movie last week, and I too think she would be a great fit. The only question is if she can match Roberta's intensity in real life.

Granted, Roberta is an over-the-top character in an anime. When let off her 'leash', she's a bloodthirsty killling machine. To translate her intensity and personality in live action terms might be a bit difficult.
Anime-style "over-the-top" wouldn't work so well in live-action, in my opinion, unless it's directed by Tarantino, who is about the only Hollywood director I can think of who makes blood spatter a work of art.

The dynamics are very different. Pushed too far, and the live-action movie would become a cartoon with real actors. Not good, at least as far as Black Lagoon is concerned. Recent movies like The Losers and The A-Team, for example, while fun to watch were dangerously close to being too silly to take seriously.

(Case in point, most Western audiences still find it difficult to enjoy Hong Kong-style wire-fu. Scenes of characters flying through the air while crossing swords manage only to send them into a fit of giggles, rather than leaving them awestruck at the level of cinematographic artistry on display.)

So, for example, if Roberta were to be done in live action, she'd definitely have to lose the maid outfits. The costumes work in Japan, as they pander to the otaku audience but, outside Japan, they'd just look silly.

(Personally, I'd rather they try to adapt the twins arc, but given the West's squeamishness over anything involving violence to children, I doubt such a proposal would see the light of day.)

And as for Alice Braga, I get the feeling she might be able to pull off a role like Roberta, actually. A lot, of course, depends on how the character is adapted to live action. For one thing, Braga would do likely do a good job bringing out the complex emotions that drive the Bloodhound. Call it a gut feeling.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 01:42   Link #508
klare

John Woo can handle the gun fighting parts

lets give Alice Braga a pair of glasses and try
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 02:38   Link #509
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Watched it and I saw photos of the Royal Hong Kong Police at the end.

Could it be that one of the characters used to be from the RHKPD?

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 08:54   Link #510
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
The "TV edit" version of the episode aired back in June (the version that you most likely saw). The full length version will be released on DVD/BR later this month.
Ah, I see. Will there be TV edits for them all? Or are they only doing the first one to string people in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
John Woo can handle the gun fighting parts

lets give Alice Braga a pair of glasses and try
I'll second that. Alice Braga may be a little too short, but a nice pair of boots and camera angle can fix that.
Old 2010-07-18, 09:31   Link #511
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Ah, I see. Will there be TV edits for them all? Or are they only doing the first one to string people in?
Vary rarely would an OVA like this don't get a TV release. The release is actually advertising, they would lose sales if they DON'T put it on TV.
Old 2010-07-18, 09:51   Link #512
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Anime-style "over-the-top" wouldn't work so well in live-action, in my opinion, unless it's directed by Tarantino, who is about the only Hollywood director I can think of who makes blood spatter a work of art.

The dynamics are very different. Pushed too far, and the live-action movie would become a cartoon with real actors. Not good, at least as far as Black Lagoon is concerned. Recent movies like The Losers and The A-Team, for example, while fun to watch were dangerously close to being too silly to take seriously.

(Case in point, most Western audiences still find it difficult to enjoy Hong Kong-style wire-fu. Scenes of characters flying through the air while crossing swords manage only to send them into a fit of giggles, rather than leaving them awestruck at the level of cinematographic artistry on display.)

So, for example, if Roberta were to be done in live action, she'd definitely have to lose the maid outfits. The costumes work in Japan, as they pander to the otaku audience but, outside Japan, they'd just look silly.

(Personally, I'd rather they try to adapt the twins arc, but given the West's squeamishness over anything involving violence to children, I doubt such a proposal would see the light of day.)

And as for Alice Braga, I get the feeling she might be able to pull off a role like Roberta, actually. A lot, of course, depends on how the character is adapted to live action. For one thing, Braga would do likely do a good job bringing out the complex emotions that drive the Bloodhound. Call it a gut feeling.
My dream Black Lagoon Hollywood adaptation team:

Quentin Tarantino -- screenwriter (bonus: incredible dialogue much like the manga)
Robert Rodriguez -- director (bonus: gritty directorial style, Danny Trejo playing the cartel goon in the Roberta Arc)
Jerry Bruckheimer -- producer (bonus: huge budget)
Old 2010-07-18, 10:45   Link #513
stormy001_M1A2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
My dream Black Lagoon Hollywood adaptation team:

Quentin Tarantino -- screenwriter (bonus: incredible dialogue much like the manga)
Robert Rodriguez -- director (bonus: gritty directorial style, Danny Trejo playing the cartel goon in the Roberta Arc)
Jerry Bruckheimer -- producer (bonus: huge budget)
My choice of director will be John Woo. Afterall, Black Lagoon action(s) is a huge homage to his movies.
Old 2010-07-18, 10:53   Link #514
Jay911

Send a message via ICQ to Jay911 Send a message via AIM to Jay911 Send a message via MSN to Jay911 Send a message via Yahoo to Jay911
You guys are making me think of how it would be "re-imagined" in various director's styles. Michael Bay ("Splosions!") anyone? :lol:
Old 2010-07-18, 13:02   Link #515
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
My choice of director will be John Woo. Afterall, Black Lagoon action(s) is a huge homage to his movies.
Hell, Black Lagoon is a huge homage to '90s action flicks in general, which is probably why I just love this show to death. They just don't make 'em like they used to. :P

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 13:25   Link #516
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

On a very similar vein to a few posts ago:

Roanapur seems to be Afghanistan Times Vietnam To the Square Root of World War 2 in terms of how much death, danger and combat there is in the Black Lagoon world.

Wouldn't it be the PERFECT coming of age grounds for young Predators/Yautdja?

"Aye, pup. You've collected your first dozen xenomorph heads. You're a man now. But you're not a warrior yet till you give me a head from a single Roanapurian!!"
Old 2010-07-18, 13:34   Link #517
stormy001_M1A2

I think Revy vs Predator comic will be interesting. Or Roberta vs Predator.
Old 2010-07-18, 14:35   Link #518
kujoe
from head to heel

Roberta vs. the Terminator
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 14:45   Link #519
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

To be honest, if we go by the original Predator movie, the BL cast would have no trouble fighting a Predator. If the Governator could win, so could they.
Old 2010-07-18, 16:07   Link #520
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Roberta vs. the Terminator
Rock's line comes to mind..

"It must be a killing machine from the future, though it's not Schwarzenegger."

Tags
action, seinen