AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-02, 09:01   Link #2481
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Instead of oneshotting this arc- I'm going to take it one episode at a time so as to not overdose on moe as Inaban's Persona evolves into Dereban I'm going to let it melt slowly over time like the chocolate theme of this arc.
I had the same idea. I tried. I swear. The first day I was able to watch only the first episode ... but the day after I got overwhelmed by Inaban cuteness and watched all the last three episodes in a row.

Anyways, great arc! I liked how balanced it was in respect of the previous ones. One of the the things I like the most of this series is that sooner or later someone will say out loud something about an aspect of the show itself or about a character, generally a critic, but even a remark, that the viewer had in mind. Basically like saying hey, we know about that issue dudes! and even if it not always solves the issue at last it shows that they are not trying to hide it.
The dereban reference was just awesome

I need to rewatch the episodes to fully get and basking them
Anyways, Inaban confession was just great

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 09:53   Link #2482
maximilianjenus
[E]

ok, this was kokoro connect being kokoro connect again, everythign was good and all then when it good to the resolution it was kinda lame; but I have to admit this has been the less lame resolution of the ones we have gotten for this series, I would have been perfectly fine with it if it were nor for the befriending part of iori which felt ridiculous and forced on, not solving all the questions is perfeftly understandable as the novels are still going and we might get a second season (most likely we won't since I remember reading that sales were bad/on the 2k range).

It still was a great ride, I prefer an ambitious, if flawed anime like this one than a generic, perfectly executed one.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 10:36   Link #2483
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Setouchi is so damn lucky and fortunate that Iori considers her a friend. Holy shit lol.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 14:35   Link #2484
Entravity

It took them a while to figure everything out but it worked out by the end. Just kind of frustrating to see them want Nagase to go back to her "normal" self. Good special nonetheless.
Old 2013-01-02, 15:02   Link #2485
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Kokoro Connect came so close... so very close... to deconstructing anime itself. It was quite impressive, until that final episode of the final four-episode arc basically undid it.

This was honestly a meta-level impression I was getting from Kokoro Connect after Episodes 14 through 16:

Iori is a real girl trapped in an anime world, that basically operates in strict accordance with anime conventions (evidence of this presented by the relationship between Taichi and his sister, pretty much everything that yuri class leader does and says, a "save the club" plot, that goofy kidnapping, etc...).

However, Iori is very genre-savvy. So she turned herself into the perfect moe girl, a more sensuous and smart Yui Hirasawa with a mole.

And she was doing great at it until the author insert Heartseed showed up, and presented all sorts of supernatural elements to throw Iori off-course.

Iori can't keep up the moe girl facade any more - She's just tired of it. Sick and tired of it. So she dispenses with it.

Her four best friends are all clearly anime characters - Taichi the well-meaning self-sacrificial guy that always wants to do the right thing, Aoki the useless and sex-obsessed wingman (but who gets by due to occasional 'Dandy!' charm), Inaba the "cool beauty" tsundere, and Yui the bouncy girl with spirit who adds literal kickass to the group.

However, Iori herself is a real girl who just can't keep up with the "anime act" anymore. The contrast is made breathtakingly clear in two ways:

1) While Iori goes into a highly cynical and withdrawn shell, her friends take that classic concept of "Everything is possible with friendship!" to the extreme. Seriously, the way that everybody was so gung-ho about "saving the club", and how they would overcome even the most crazy of obstacles to attain it, was downright caricature-esque (I honestly had to laugh at everybody expecting Aoki to just accept failing at tests so he could help them save the club). Iori "gets real" while her friends become increasingly "anime".

2) Inaba's "embarrassing" spiel was indeed embarrassing, but not for the reasons that Inaba thought. It's embarrassing that Inaba actually thought that would help. Only in anime would a character think that something like this would work. Yes, I'm sure that the way to "save Iori" is to have her romantic rival reveal all of her most secret dreams, passions, and thoughts over the guy that her and Iori both love. Iori's reply to that was a thing of absolute beauty. It would make Gen Urobuchi blush in how effectively deconstructive it was. Iori's reply to Inaba there was one of the most self-aware moments I've ever seen in anime. Powerful.

But then Kokoro Connect falls into the common trap of challenging or lampooning "anime" before completely capitulating to it. How does Iori be true to herself and live life free from the expectations of others? Why, by being exactly like she was before! Iori the moe "ray of sunshine" club leader who's entirely cool with Inaba being with the guy they both love has indeed returned! She's back, baby!

If anything, Iori's moe is even more powerful now, since she effectively turned a "bad girl" into a cute moe girl!

But in fairness, the meta-level narrative of "Iori the real girl having to deal with living in an anime world" was very fun and interesting while it lasted.

And Taichi/Inaba is very cute, so that's a positive.

On the whole, these last four episodes were an enjoyable watch. It's just too bad that Kokoro Connect didn't go all the way with it, imo.
Old 2013-01-02, 15:21   Link #2486
justsomeguy

Hmm, Michi Random raised my opinion of this show quite a bit. IMO it seemed to be a stronger arc in terms of pacing and characterization than Kako Random or the overly long Kizu Random. If only those two arcs were sped up so this could be squeezed into the original run.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 16:04   Link #2487
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandkas View Post
The real question is, season 2?
With the whole controversy and how much sales suffered, I somehow doubt it. Also, the last four episodes provided a rather satisfying and conclusive ending anyways, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
However, Iori is very genre-savvy. So she turned herself into the perfect moe girl, a more sensuous and smart Yui Hirasawa with a mole.
I never actually considered Nagase to be a moe girl; she puts forth a lot of positive energy, but it's not for the purpose of being appealingly cute, but to be at least marginally accepted.

Quote:
Her four best friends are all clearly anime characters - Taichi the well-meaning self-sacrificial guy that always wants to do the right thing, Aoki the useless and sex-obsessed wingman (but who gets by due to occasional 'Dandy!' charm), Inaba the "cool beauty" tsundere, and Yui the bouncy girl with spirit who adds literal kickass to the group.
It's strange, Aoki and Yui as individuals characters rather bored me, but their potential relationship remains interesting to me. Call it a quirk for the unknown.

Quote:
1) While Iori goes into a highly cynical and withdrawn shell, her friends take that classic concept of "Everything is possible with friendship!" to the extreme. Seriously, the way that everybody was so gung-ho about "saving the club", and how they would overcome even the most crazy of obstacles to attain it, was downright caricature-esque (I honestly had to laugh at everybody expecting Aoki to just accept failing at tests so he could help them save the club). Iori "gets real" while her friends become increasingly "anime".
The rate the others picked up what was going on (especially after Nagase used the same words over and over) was actually quite jarring. Nobody listens to each other, and they keep trying to "force ideals" onto Nagase, who is already sick of it. Personally, I think they should have let her cool down a little bit, then considered some better choices of words before diving in.

Quote:
2) Inaba's "embarrassing" spiel was indeed embarrassing, but not for the reasons that Inaba thought. It's embarrassing that Inaba actually thought that would help. Only in anime would a character think that something like this would work. Yes, I'm sure that the way to "save Iori" is to have her romantic rival reveal all of her most secret dreams, passions, and thoughts over the guy that her and Iori both love. Iori's reply to that was a thing of absolute beauty. It would make Gen Urobuchi blush in how effectively deconstructive it was. Iori's reply to Inaba there was one of the most self-aware moments I've ever seen in anime. Powerful.
The scene where Nagase retorts to Inaba caught me by surprise, because she was 100% right. If you're going to play cupid, you don't do so one step in front of your targets. It did however lead to one hell of a moneymaker shot of Inaba quivering in embarrassment. Couldn't have sold that better myself.

Quote:
But then Kokoro Connect falls into the common trap of challenging or lampooning "anime" before completely capitulating to it. How does Iori be true to herself and live life free from the expectations of others? Why, by being exactly like she was before! Iori the moe "ray of sunshine" club leader who's entirely cool with Inaba being with the guy they both love has indeed returned! She's back, baby!
This has a modicum of truth to it, definitely. All in all, the phenomenae were just getting to Nagase, and she began to snap under the pressure. However, I don't think it was established that she went back to being her usual "cheery" self, in my opinion. She had one moment of releasing all of her pent up frustrations and then she'll try to be more normal. I think the problem is that no matter what was going on in her life, Nagase was forcibly acting cheerful to keep everyone from hating her, but from now on she'll act as she's feeling. If she's upset, she'll have off days. If she's with her friends, she'll likely be enjoying herself. A bit different, but not too much.

Quote:
And Taichi/Inaba is very cute, so that's a positive.
They managed to sway my previous opinion of TaichixNagase, so that's something. If Nagase's not 100% invested, I have no problem with Inaba filling the role, since she's in it 200%.

Quote:
On the whole, these last four episodes were an enjoyable watch. It's just too bad that Kokoro Connect didn't go all the way with it, imo.
My favourite arc with my second favourite ending, loved it. Hopefully now people won't complain so much that Kokoro Connect ended abruptly (even though...y'know, they previewed what they called #14, insinuating it would continue).
Old 2013-01-02, 16:33   Link #2488
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I think Iori realized that, expectations or not, she'd rather be friendly than a horrible person who abandons her friends in their time of need. "Cute and cheerful" may not be the whole of her, but it's what she aspires to be. For herself. And when the mask becomes to heavy to bear, well, she's got friends who'll still put up with her.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 16:42   Link #2489
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Light novels would end in two volumes(author promised that Asu Random arc would be the last and one more side-stories volume would be published). Too bad where won't be S2
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 16:56   Link #2490
Dop
Mmmm....

I have to admit when I started on this final four I was very unsure if I'd make it to the end, as it took me a while to get back into the series, and I was contemplating just archiving it and maybe dragging the whole series out of the archive for a marathon when I had the time.

But I stuck with it. A bit "ooo, melodrama" especially with the knife and the lead piping (so your friend has just had a knife held to her throat and you DON'T call the cops? Then your other friend has just been bashed with some lead pipe and you DON'T call an ambulance?) but OK.

I did always think Inaba was the best character, though.

Hopefully there won't be a second series, as I think that would end up cheapening this ending.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 17:03   Link #2491
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Dop

You probably watched the ep inadvertently. They called the cops but they need to find Himeko first. Cops came a bit after the incident. And it was faster to took taichi in schools hospital which was close than to wait for an ambulance or ook him in real hospital
Old 2013-01-02, 17:21   Link #2492
Dop
Mmmm....

When I heard the sirens, I did think they'd called the cops, but when the guy with the pipe came along thought maybe they'd just left.
Also I did get the bit about the school being closer, but if someone has had a blow to the head like that I'd want them to have a proper examination and maybe an x-ray!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 17:27   Link #2493
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

He lost consciousness. He definitely needs to be looked at, no matter what he says. In fact, they shouldn't even have moved him. Call an ambulance, keep him warm, and don't touch anything unless they really have to.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 17:35   Link #2494
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

The guy with the pipe just escaped from cops or before they came
Old 2013-01-02, 18:06   Link #2495
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Light novels would end in two volumes(author promised that Asu Random arc would be the last and one more side-stories volume would be published). Too bad where won't be S2
Can I ask again, what is the source of that information about "one more side story volume" after Asu Random?

Because I keep seeing that claim when what I see in the Author's Note of Volume 7 says "one more side story volume and one final main story arc", and the side story volume already came out as Volume 8.

Edit:

Actually, if you're talking about the one from the English Wiki:
Quote:
Anda said in volume eight that the series will be moving into its final story arc and one more side story collection.
Then I can confirm that it's very likely a mistype because Anda's claim about a side story volume is in Volume 7 and not 8. In fact, I even double checked BOTH Volume 7 and 8's Author's Note to confirm my doubts.
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 18:08   Link #2496
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Still waiting for episode 17 subbed...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 19:20   Link #2497
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
I never actually considered Nagase to be a moe girl;
Really? You never found Nagase moe from the very start of Kokoro Connect? I definitely think that Nagase was meant to be perceived by the audience as a very moe girl. And I think that what this narrative has aimed for is to (hopefully) show that there's an interesting contrast that lies beneath the upbeat and sweet exterior.

Quote:
she puts forth a lot of positive energy, but it's not for the purpose of being appealingly cute, but to be at least marginally accepted.
Well, whether she was aiming low or high, she achieved high - She achieved appealingly cute. This last arc made it clear how Iori was very popular with her classmates until this latest arc caused her outward personality to change.

Quote:
It's strange, Aoki and Yui as individuals characters rather bored me, but their potential relationship remains interesting to me. Call it a quirk for the unknown.
I should be clear that in saying that Iori's four friends are clearly anime characters that I'm not saying that their bad characters. I myself found them reasonably likeable. But they do have certain quirks, and tendencies that just shout "anime character". Iori doesn't have that in quite the same way - She feels more like a real person to me.

Quote:
The rate the others picked up what was going on (especially after Nagase used the same words over and over) was actually quite jarring. Nobody listens to each other, and they keep trying to "force ideals" onto Nagase, who is already sick of it. Personally, I think they should have let her cool down a little bit, then considered some better choices of words before diving in.
Agreed. It's interesting that these characters never really consider the fact that people sometimes do need time to themselves. In fairness to Taichi, though, I think he's grown a bit here. In previous arcs, he'd always be the guy leading the charge to try to fix other people's problems, but now he's become a bit more cautious, to the point that Yui actually chided him for not doing more.

Quote:
The scene where Nagase retorts to Inaba caught me by surprise, because she was 100% right. If you're going to play cupid, you don't do so one step in front of your targets. It did however lead to one hell of a moneymaker shot of Inaba quivering in embarrassment. Couldn't have sold that better myself.
I'm glad that the absurdity of the love triangle situation was made clear in this arc.

Quote:
This has a modicum of truth to it, definitely. All in all, the phenomenae were just getting to Nagase, and she began to snap under the pressure. However, I don't think it was established that she went back to being her usual "cheery" self, in my opinion.
That final shot before the ED of the last episode was pretty suggestive to me. The one with the cheerful Iori in front of The Undertaker poster.

It had a touch of "Don't worry, fans, your 'normal' Iori is back! Just like you and Iori's friends wanted!" to me. And maybe that's fine, but if so, I think it could have been executed a bit better.

Quote:
She had one moment of releasing all of her pent up frustrations and then she'll try to be more normal. I think the problem is that no matter what was going on in her life, Nagase was forcibly acting cheerful to keep everyone from hating her, but from now on she'll act as she's feeling. If she's upset, she'll have off days. If she's with her friends, she'll likely be enjoying herself. A bit different, but not too much.
Well, it's just that Iori has one identity crisis after another in Kokoro Connect, and at some point the authenticity of them becomes questionable. I mean, it seems to me like the old Iori keeps reasserting herself after each identity crisis.

Does there come a point when you've been wearing a certain mask for so long that this mask now is you? I think that's a a question that Iori's character implicitly raises, and I find it to be an interesting question.

Quote:
They managed to sway my previous opinion of TaichixNagase, so that's something. If Nagase's not 100% invested, I have no problem with Inaba filling the role, since she's in it 200%.
A madly in love Inaba is an extremely cute Inaba. The depth of her feelings for Taichi really is something to behold. Very few anime romances reach this level of explicit love and passion. I definitely do think Inaba/Taichi is one of the standout strengths of Kokoro Connect.
Old 2013-01-02, 20:03   Link #2498
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Well, it's just that Iori has one identity crisis after another in Kokoro Connect, and at some point the authenticity of them becomes questionable. I mean, it seems to me like the old Iori keeps reasserting herself after each identity crisis.

Does there come a point when you've been wearing a certain mask for so long that this mask now is you? I think that's a a question that Iori's character implicitly raises, and I find it to be an interesting question.
I would rather say that Iori's identity crisis has always been there since the first arc. These aren't multiple episodes of identity crises, but a rather just one all-encompassing identity crisis. All the previous arcs merely scratched up on this issues but never directly addressed it.

I agree that this is a case where a mask becomes no different from a person's true identity. But then, when a person is so accustomed to viewing herself through the eyes of another, it becomes difficult to distinguish one's "real self" from an "adopted self". The case with Iori is that her "real self" was actually not much different from the persona she took on. She was simply too pessimistic to see beyond her worst traits.

Quote:
It had a touch of "Don't worry, fans, your 'normal' Iori is back! Just like you and Iori's friends wanted!" to me. And maybe that's fine, but if so, I think it could have been executed a bit better.
It definitely could have been executed better. Iori's supposedly "real" personality resembles her old personality too much. I would have liked it if that internal change of hers reflected onto her usual behavior.

But still, despite my feelings, I'm still convinced that this new Iori is an entirely different character from the one from the previous arcs. In the past arcs, understanding her character was like staring through stained glass. It was impossible. Her cheerful attitude was nothing more than a facade, masking her hidden insecurities. But now, we know that she's acting as she wants to, and that, I believe, makes all the difference in the world.
Old 2013-01-02, 20:41   Link #2499
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
I would rather say that Iori's identity crisis has always been there since the first arc. These aren't multiple episodes of identity crises, but a rather just one all-encompassing identity crisis. All the previous arcs merely scratched up on this issues but never directly addressed it.
I don't think I can agree with that. Previous arcs addressed Iori's identity issues. Taichi himself directly addressed them.

Quote:

But still, despite my feelings, I'm still convinced that this new Iori is an entirely different character from the one from the previous arcs. In the past arcs, understanding her character was like staring through stained glass. It was impossible. Her cheerful attitude was nothing more than a facade, masking her hidden insecurities.
So were all of the Iori cheerful moments in previous arcs a facade? How about that moment she yelled out "Yahoo!" in class during the "unleashed emotions" arc? I would think that was sincere cheerfulness. I mean, seeing as how it was an "unleashed emotion" and all.

And there were many times that Iori opened up to Taichi in previous arcs. Was that all a facade?

And if all of her cheerful moments with the rest of the club was a facade then why is she remaining friends with them?

I think there were times that Iori said things she didn't really mean because she didn't want to cause trouble (this particularly being the case with the love triangle). But I think that bright and cheerful Iori is closer to her true personality than what Iori herself might want to admit.
Old 2013-01-02, 21:10   Link #2500
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Really? You never found Nagase moe from the very start of Kokoro Connect? I definitely think that Nagase was meant to be perceived by the audience as a very moe girl. And I think that what this narrative has aimed for is to (hopefully) show that there's an interesting contrast that lies beneath the upbeat and sweet exterior.
I would have said she's likable and cute, but not to the level of "moe" that is used as a standard in anime. Perhaps you just meant that, or maybe our levels of judgment on her differ slightly.

Quote:
Well, whether she was aiming low or high, she achieved high - She achieved appealingly cute. This last arc made it clear how Iori was very popular with her classmates until this latest arc caused her outward personality to change.
That's true, she was quite popular. However, it seems she didn't reach the levels of trust that true friends have, since the class instantly turned on her after one incident. Close bonds don't break that quickly or mend fast on their own. At least, the first time around it does, until the trust is seriously broken.

Quote:
I should be clear that in saying that Iori's four friends are clearly anime characters that I'm not saying that their bad characters. I myself found them reasonably likeable. But they do have certain quirks, and tendencies that just shout "anime character". Iori doesn't have that in quite the same way - She feels more like a real person to me.
I agree, and I think it's interesting that they give Nagase an entire arc to finish off, since Inaba seemed like the much more popular character. Either way, it added a layer of depth I hadn't seen before, so who can complain?

Quote:
Agreed. It's interesting that these characters never really consider the fact that people sometimes do need time to themselves. In fairness to Taichi, though, I think he's grown a bit here. In previous arcs, he'd always be the guy leading the charge to try to fix other people's problems, but now he's become a bit more cautious, to the point that Yui actually chided him for not doing more.
To be fair, the initial spiral downward is so steep and quick that people fear leaving it alone, for it may never stop. However, when someone tells you to back off, pestering them every single day is a serious cause for trouble, and that's why Nagase took so long to recover.

Quote:
I'm glad that the absurdity of the love triangle situation was made clear in this arc.
I'd call it a good absurd, if I could so boldly state. Inaba messed up, and she initially started off trying to help her friend, but ended up falling for the guy she was after. Ironically, it ended up destroying anything Nagase and Taichi had, and Inaba came out on top.

Quote:
That final shot before the ED of the last episode was pretty suggestive to me. The one with the cheerful Iori in front of The Undertaker poster. It had a touch of "Don't worry, fans, your 'normal' Iori is back! Just like you and Iori's friends wanted!" to me. And maybe that's fine, but if so, I think it could have been executed a bit better.
Oh no, I definitely agree it could have been executed better. I just think she hasn't reverted completely back to her usual self. There was a moment when Balloon Vine showed up and Nagase confronted him, and upon his leave she seemed to ponder about what she would do next. It's that bit and the fact that all the rumours about her were dispersed that I can't fully take either side here. I have the nagging feeling Nagase will face problems again, and this time she won't push them away like she used to.

Quote:
Well, it's just that Iori has one identity crisis after another in Kokoro Connect, and at some point the authenticity of them becomes questionable. I mean, it seems to me like the old Iori keeps reasserting herself after each identity crisis. Does there come a point when you've been wearing a certain mask for so long that this mask now is you? I think that's a a question that Iori's character implicitly raises, and I find it to be an interesting question.
It was definitely a jarring concept for me, as she'd hate her own self then return to acting as she did before. They'd also vary from being upset about her own self to being upset about others, but I've come to accept that under the amounts of stress she was under, you'd just push everything away and act cold. Ironically, the thing she fears most is playing out in reverse through her crises.

Quote:
A madly in love Inaba is an extremely cute Inaba. The depth of her feelings for Taichi really is something to behold. Very few anime romances reach this level of explicit love and passion. I definitely do think Inaba/Taichi is one of the standout strengths of Kokoro Connect.
I definitely haven't seen these levels of confessionals before, so it was a strong point indeed.

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life