Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2004-02-08, 22:18   Link #1
CardCaptorMoody
Dictator of the World

Location: Canada, In my basement playing DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION
Spice Girls in Japan

Bonjour. Well, i just found my Spice Girls CDs last weekend (i use to be SUPER obsesed with the spice girls back in the old days), and i started listening to them again. I was wondering, how big were the Spice Girls in Japan at their peak? I know this might sound like a stupid question, but my curiosity got the best of me. Oh, and just so that the replies won't just be one word answers like "big", if you can tell me why bands like them hit is so big in Japan. I think it is interesting that forein things can make it in to the mainstream of countries like Japan and South Korea even though they are not multi cultural nations, and in multi cutural nations like the US and Canada there aren't as many mainstream things (if any) that are forein.
CardCaptorMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 22:48   Link #2
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Well I'm from canada too so.. but IMO, in Japan fanaticism is just a lot more in their culture than hour.

So I guess they were "big" since they were kinda big here too ^^

oh yeah your ava rock some butt now I feel like dancin...
Old 2004-02-09, 14:34   Link #3
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

I know T.a.t.u were pretty popular here...but who/what are "Spice Girls?"
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 14:46   Link #4
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardCaptorMoody
Bonjour. Well, i just found my Spice Girls CDs last weekend (i use to be SUPER obsesed with the spice girls back in the old days), and i started listening to them again. I was wondering, how big were the Spice Girls in Japan at their peak? I know this might sound like a stupid question, but my curiosity got the best of me. Oh, and just so that the replies won't just be one word answers like "big", if you can tell me why bands like them hit is so big in Japan. I think it is interesting that forein things can make it in to the mainstream of countries like Japan and South Korea even though they are not multi cultural nations, and in multi cutural nations like the US and Canada there aren't as many mainstream things (if any) that are forein.
Spice girls in japan? poor japanese... they must be bleeding out their ears...
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 21:30   Link #5
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Send a message via AIM to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via MSN to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via Yahoo to Chiaki Nozomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
Spice girls in japan? poor japanese... they must be bleeding out their ears...
How their ears don't bleed when they listen to Ayumi Hamasaki is beyond me...

I.. used to like the Spice Girls too... Back when I was.. 9-10ish... Thankfully, I have taken a crash course in 'decent' music.

I believe they were popular world-wide, so it must have included Japan. Although I don't see how girl/boy groups are so popular there, they have more than they could ever need.... Although I do have 'plans' to take over Disney and create a Morning Musume-like group here.... >

Anyone know the peak years of their popularity? Wasn't around the Namie Amuro era? Or maybe before that? I assume they had either the same popularity as the Backstreet Boys or N'Sync (Now them, I hated with a bloody passion) or a little less. Nothing was cooler to a young girls ears than hearing 'GIRL POWER' and singing songs about sex except you didn't know it was about sex.... Except the Japanese were like us with Jpop... XD
Chiaki Nozomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 22:49   Link #6
CardCaptorMoody
Dictator of the World

Location: Canada, In my basement playing DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki Nozomi
How their ears don't bleed when they listen to Ayumi Hamasaki is beyond me...

I.. used to like the Spice Girls too... Back when I was.. 9-10ish... Thankfully, I have taken a crash course in 'decent' music.

Hey, Hey, Hey. I agree with the Ayumi coment (some what), but come on, the spice girls aren't bad enough to exclude them out of the 'decent' pile. Have you ever listened to a Sum41 song?! I would go as far to say that the Spice Girls had above average quality music (well, compared to today). But then again, every one to his own.

As for their peak, well i would estimate at around 1998ish.... I think. I do know that their Second album was their peak (then stupid Ginger left and so on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I know T.a.t.u were pretty popular here...but who/what are "Spice Girls?"
Oh.... i guess i was horribly informed, i heared they were very big.
CardCaptorMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 08:04   Link #7
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Send a message via AIM to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via MSN to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via Yahoo to Chiaki Nozomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardCaptorMoody
Hey, Hey, Hey. I agree with the Ayumi coment (some what), but come on, the spice girls aren't bad enough to exclude them out of the 'decent' pile. Have you ever listened to a Sum41 song?! I would go as far to say that the Spice Girls had above average quality music (well, compared to today). But then again, every one to his own.

As for their peak, well i would estimate at around 1998ish.... I think. I do know that their Second album was their peak (then stupid Ginger left and so on).
Eep! I didn't mean to sound insulting. I talk like that, and people don't understand if I'm being rude or just commenting. I'm usually just commenting.

Spice Girls were like SMAP. Only one member could really sing, but when they harmonized, their sound was good. Spice Girls music is nostalgic to me, and that's kinda sad when I compare my nostalgic music to my Mom's (classic rock artists). Of course, what's sadder is when my brother will be nostalgic at rap. I mean, can you imagine 60 year olds bragging about how they used to back their ass up? About a month ago I did d/l a bunch of the Spice Girls videos and had a dose of 'aww'. I can't believe I walked around singing '2 become 1'. I wasn't fazed when Ginger left because I thought she was a skanky hoe when I was young. Ah yes, I became 'corrupted' during my spice girl years...

Because all but a few 'established artists' are crap, I don't listen to the American Music Industry. (Where did you get the idea that I listened to Sum41? O.o;; I hate alternative music!) *sigh* Indie bands for me!
Chiaki Nozomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-12, 15:32   Link #8
_murasaki_
喜多建介

Send a message via MSN to _murasaki_ Send a message via Yahoo to _murasaki_
Well I 'KNOW' some people still like Spice Girls there. *punches friend*
I think they still haven't given up the 'infatuation'.
I think they're kind of like F4.(which sucks)
They also like Backstreet Boys there, creepy. (Why can't they like their own music? Like Inugami Circus Dan, now that's a band!!!)
_murasaki_ is offline   Reply With Quote