AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-09-02, 22:29   Link #1
SassyRobot

I just found out that the live-action Mushishi will be shown at the Toronto International FIlm Festival this month. I believe the festival runs from Sept 7-16. It's going under the title Bugmaster:

Spoiler for description - just saving room:

So, if you or anyone you know is able to, GO SEE IT!

Hopefully, more information and impressions of the film will get around
SassyRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 00:34   Link #2
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyRobot
I just found out that the live-action Mushishi will be shown at the Toronto International FIlm Festival this month. I believe the festival runs from Sept 7-16. It's going under the title Bugmaster:

Spoiler for description - just saving room:

So, if you or anyone you know is able to, GO SEE IT!

Hopefully, more information and impressions of the film will get around
Interesting, thanks for the info, the description of Tanyuu however sounds very departed from what happened in the original, which confuses me a great deal; it doesn't sound like the writer's misinformed, but it is also strange that the movie producers would feel compelled to alter the original story that much... since Sea of Brushes was one of the best.
Old 2006-09-03, 02:33   Link #3
wao
OK.

The description seems right except for the part about ink infusing her blood. Huh? That totally wasn't in the original story. But what kind of REALLY PATHETIC NAME is "Bugmaster".... I know it's a literal translation but for $deity's sake, that's a really awful name. It sounds like some bad Pokemon/Digimon kind of anime. I'd say it's worse than Shadow Warrior Chronicles! I wish they had left it as "Mushishi".
Old 2006-09-03, 03:15   Link #4
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
Interesting, thanks for the info, the description of Tanyuu however sounds very departed from what happened in the original, which confuses me a great deal; it doesn't sound like the writer's misinformed, but it is also strange that the movie producers would feel compelled to alter the original story that much... since Sea of Brushes was one of the best.
As a torontonian who has participated the filmfest in the last 8 years (I have all the program books of the filmfests in the past) I can only say one thing: really dont expect the programmer knows every single bit of the background knowledge about the film. Each of these writers in avg has to watch more than 50 movies qualified to participate in the fest and they just cant handle all the info. You can always find error in their descriptions from time to time, esp for the film directors they dont really familiar with.

I will definitely watch "bugmaster" anyway -- since i have forgotten to purchase filmfest coupons I will have to line up at 6 in the morning the coming wednesday to get one. Wish me good luck ;b
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 06:16   Link #5
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky
As a torontonian who has participated the filmfest in the last 8 years (I have all the program books of the filmfests in the past) I can only say one thing: really dont expect the programmer knows every single bit of the background knowledge about the film. Each of these writers in avg has to watch more than 50 movies qualified to participate in the fest and they just cant handle all the info. You can always find error in their descriptions from time to time, esp for the film directors they dont really familiar with.

I will definitely watch "bugmaster" anyway -- since i have forgotten to purchase filmfest coupons I will have to line up at 6 in the morning the coming wednesday to get one. Wish me good luck ;b
It's going to be shown at Toronto?

I think I'll go just to watch it. But then I have to find out all the details blah blah blah.. gah. I have a friend who's working for the film fest itself.. as in, the administration. She said she could get me tickets but I'm not sure how that'll work..
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 18:43   Link #6
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
I am just wondering... is it usual for films shown at Toronto film festival to make its way to the west coast?
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 20:03   Link #7
SassyRobot

pfft, harem Mushishi XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori
I am just wondering... is it usual for films shown at Toronto film festival to make its way to the west coast?
I'd think that if the movie is well received, then there's the chance that it will be shown at other festivals, etc. Even some libraries or small/independent theatres that play art films or foreign films might show it. Also, I think a lot of the films at these festivals are shown in the hopes that they will be picked up by a distributor.

Well, I'm just speculating here. I'm being hopeful and optimistic cuz I want to see it too!

Good luck to those who are trying to get tickets! Make sure to come and brag about it's awesomeness
SassyRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 02:17   Link #8
arias

My friend is offering to get me tickets.

Do any Torontonians want to come along with me? PM if so. Sadly, I don't know any anime friends here who watch Mushishi.
Old 2006-09-09, 00:45   Link #9
chucky
Always impatient

There are two shows:

1) last time I checked the Wednesday 9:30 pm show (in Paramount 3) was sold out.
Friday Sep 15 show at 2:45 still got some seats (I got ticket for that one).

2) If you have time conflict and unable to go the friday one, you can still go rush line. But a piece of advice: Rush line availability is proportional to the size of the theatre. My experience is you prolly get like 5-10% of the seat available for rush in the last minute. The time for the wednesday show isnt that great so you can expect some people will return ticket/fail to show up, but paramount 3 isnt that big -- so if you wanna guarantee yourself a seat, 1.5-2 hrs of waiting in the rush line prolly will be necessary. You may want to try your luck to go to the theatre EARLY on wednesday like 9:00 am and see if same-day tickets are available but the chance is pretty grim.

Last edited by chucky; 2006-09-09 at 01:02.
Old 2006-09-12, 21:45   Link #10
arias

I have spare tickets for Mushishi, Friday 02:45pm on Sept 15th. If any Torontonian wants them, please PM me.
Old 2006-09-15, 11:48   Link #11
Siye

I don't know if it's cool to post here.. but I actually got to see the live action Mushishi movie at the TIFF and I've written a pretty comprehensive report. To those who wanna see it:

http://desolatedreams.digital-catharsis.net/ <- right on the front page (news section).

I hope you guys enjoy.. I'm looking forward to ep 26.
Siye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 18:03   Link #12
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siye
http://desolatedreams.digital-catharsis.net/ <- right on the front page (news section).
Is there any way to switch off that music?

I would prefer if you posted your thought piece here and quoted it. I know you want people to visit your site, but it's pretty bad with that unswitchoffable music and tiny font.
Old 2006-09-15, 23:29   Link #13
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
I don't know if it's cool to post here.. but I actually got to see the live action Mushishi movie at the TIFF and I've written a pretty comprehensive report. To those who wanna see it:

I hope you guys enjoy.. I'm looking forward to ep 26.
Mind if I write mine and post it here with spoiler tag? I was in the Friday screening sitting in the 3rd row from the back on the left.....

In short: I am very unhappy about it. I think Osada has missed the point and failed to deliver.
Old 2006-09-16, 01:23   Link #14
Siye

Course you can turn off the music... press stop on your browser or scroll down on the mainframe/background pic (drag and scroll for IE) and you can pause the music... OR you can turn off your speakers. For the text you can enlarge it on any browser.

Whatever though.... seems like people will complain about everything. I'll just repost here. I don't want any of it stolen though.

::-::-::

Mushishi :: Live Action Movie AKA Bugmaster

Toronto International Film Festival Screening :: Sept. 13, 2006

YO ALL! I got a chance to watch the First screening of Mushishi the live action movie at the Torotno International Film Festival. It actually turns out this is the VERY FIRST public screening and won't even be released in Japan until this Spring. This is my attempt at a report/review of the movie and it DOES contain MASSIVE SPOILERS. SO you have been warned, otherwise I hope you enjoy it. ^^

I'll start from the beginning but this will be short because the first half of the story comprises the horns story (ep 3) / and most of the flashbacks of Ginko's past (ep12), with little change and is pretty much faithful to the original anime. The only thing is Maho is a girl... but other than that it was fine. I'll comment on a few scenes that differed from the anime.

When Nui is taking care of Yoki, there is a scene in the movie where it looks like Nui tries to abandon Yoki in the village and tries to go off on her own. A man asks Yoki if he is an orphan and would like to work for him.. but Yoki runs after Nui. Secondly, when Nui is being consumed by the Tokoyami, she and Yoki both go into the lake… and instead of becoming a "shadow figure" and being bathed in the light of the lifestream of mushi... they both kind of float around in the water fully immersed... Also the scene where Yoki loses his eye, Nui just kinda closes one and then pulls out the other.. it’s more a graphic realistic approach as there is blood as he actually physically loses the eye.

The 2nd half of the movie features the story of Tanyuu (ep20) and Kourou (ep7), except the two stories are intertwined. This is also where the story of Mushishi drastically changes from the anime and I'll try my best to recall it accurately.

Ginko is at a gathering with some other mushishi resting from their travels and he gets a tattered up letter from Tanyuu that is urgent. Outside the hut, Kourou is resting outside and when Ginko hears that the man is looking for a rainbow.. he gets interested and they introduce themselves. Needless to say they start traveling together.

They arrive at Tanyuu's place and evidently the girl is very sick and the black mushi that has infected her leg spreads throughout her entire body. I think the old lady said it happened after Tanyuu had heard/records a story from a blind old woman (who claims she is a mushishi) and her deranged husband. Ginko naturally wants to see what the documented story is and they go into the archives to investigate a possible cure.

As Ginko reads the story, the viewer soon realizes it's the story of Ginko's past.. himself as the boy Yoki and Nui + all that crap with the mushi tokoyami and ginko. So wtf does this mean? It means the blind woman IS actually Nui (this is where I became utterly confused) and therefore is still alive WTFBBQ.

At this point Ginko starts recalling his past, but then the room goes crazy and the writing in the scrolls starts melting. The old lady runs off worrying about Tanyuu and Ginko is left alone to deal with the writing. Kourou tries to help, but Ginko says it's his problem and seals the door. Ginko then has this face-off with the writing that masses into a big black blob (the tokoyami) and takes possession of a discarded robe. It starts talking like Nui, and upon close inspection even looks like a demonized Nui.. all black and decaying.

The movie goes back to Tanyuu and the old lady where she tries to heal tanyuu by bleeding her.. some shit about the red blood washing away the black evil or something.. Kourou and the lady drag her to the bath and the lady stabs her in her upper arm which still remains soft (she tried cutting her hand but it was rock hard). Tanyuu bleeds black blood and only when the blood turns red do they try to staunch her bleeding (hah the blood spray in this part rivals horror flicks). By now Tanyuu is better, so I guess it worked.

Tanyuu and the others go back to the room and see Ginko crumpled on the floor. He has all these black marks on his body and tanyuu says that her writing has sealed the dark tokiyami within Ginko. She asks the old lady for her shaman chopsticks and proceeds to "summon out" the writing and slowly rewrites her scrolls. This scene is the basic stabbing with chopsticks and pulling out the writing on the walls and whipping them on paper.

When this is finally all done, Ginko will be okay but obviously isn't "mentally all there". Tanyuu says it's up to Ginko himself to return back fully and her and Kourou decide that visiting all the major lines/locations of the koki would immensely help Ginko's recovery.

Somewhere along here the focus changes to the blind old woman and her husband (deranged man) among a group of children. Nui is holding the hand of one of the boys; calling him Yoki and screaming don't leave me when the boy runs off with his friends.

As Ginko shows very little recovery, there is a scene where he is sleeping. Tanyuu is watching over him and recalls a moment in the past between them. This scene is basically the one in ep 20 at the end where Ginko carries Tanyuu to the karst topographic field and they chat. It can be assumed by the viewer than Ginko's and Tanyuu's relationship is actually closer than is implied in the anime... and it's clear that atleast from Tanyuu point of view that she has some feelings for Ginko.

Anywayz, Kourou decides to take Ginko and embark on a recovery journey... and Ginko slowly (miraculously?) gets better as their journey continues... meeting people... Ginko curing people) and finally Kourou even get's to see his rainbow mushishi (Kouda). But the time comes where they must part ways.. where Kouda emotionally declares that Ginko won't die and that he and Tanyuu will visit him and this isn't a final parting. There is no response from Ginko who continues walking silently.

Ginko comes upon a hut in shambles in a forest, where a deranged old man drags a dead body outside (looks to be a boy) and starts freaking out when he sees Ginko. Ginko is obviously unsettled and investigates what's inside and discovers a large black mass that is a tokoyami. Alarmingly it starts talking and obviously the mass is Nui, having suffered a hell worse than reality... she has become more monster than human. She pleads and begs to Ginko.... saying how he finally came to her and claws at him frantically, finally screaming that there is the mushi Ginko within Ginko??

There is also a flashback at this point where it shows that during the point where Nui is supposed to be consumed by the ginko... but what actually happened, is that in cowardice she decides to keep her life by draining the entire lake. She of course has lost all her eyes and Ginko himself has lost one eye and has had his hair turned white.. but he’s still in the "darkness mode" where all he can see is dark. Nui screams/begs to Yoki for him to stay with her because she has no one.. and pitifully flails around in the muddy lakebed.. as Yoki only slowly walks away in the night forest. End of flashback.

They both continue to struggle until a bright light explodes in Nui (I'm guessing the Ginko mushi) and she just kinda crumples on the ground.

Ginko takes her in his arms and proceeds to a certain area of the woods where he lays her down and claims this is a good enough place. He says he has experience dissipating mushi.. but very little with summoning mushi and sprinkles some water like liquid over Nui. He then silently leaves…

Meanwhile Nui "evaporates" away with little golden things eating away at her. The deranged man who had followed the entire way screams a silent scream.. and the scene changes to Ginko silently walking among among the terrain as he "fades" away. This is where the movie ends.

Character Changes
- Tanyuu obviously has long black hair, typical of all Japanese girls.. but I thought her character was portrayed to be younger and more dependant than her anime counterpart. I dunno how others felt but she feels more mature in the anime... and also her "nobility" seems to be far more emphasized in the movie. Her robes look very high class and the old lady never fails to stress her status in comparison to others (esp Ginko who is only a lowly mushishi). I heard her VA actually played the movie role though?? Is that true?
- Ginko... not many changes.. other than the fact he's a little more emotional than anime Ginko. He's more prone to outburst and easier going. He laughs at jokes and overall is more DUDEish. Less of the stonerface ginko we all love. ^^;; Sadly he's lost the trench coat though and smokes a PIPE for most of the movie ( a wussy looking one too). However, he does smoke the trademark brown cig in the ep 20 flashback.
- Kourou. He was pretty minor in the anime but landed a much larger role here. Less of HIS story is in the movie.. and he may appear older.. but he plays a more involved part. Otherwise nothing else more.

Uh well.. what can I say??? Even being a huge fan of the anime, I found the movie hella confusing with too many questions and obscure explanations. It made very little sense (most likely due to the very heavy use of pure Japanese with little explanation), and honestly if I was casually watching this movie.. I would have probably walked out halfway because it was just such a mess.

Main gripes
- Villifing Nui.. or atleast making her a very pitiful and sad character. I mean I'm open for changes… but this is just the utter opposite of the self sacrificial and even honorable character of Nui in the anime.. no matter how tragic she is presented as.
- Sorry Joe, but that mole.. bothered me throughout the entire movie.

Surprisingly the mushi effects were alright. I mean we can only reasonably expect the CG of the mushi to look alright. It did look fake in scenes… but given the supernatural aspect of what they had to represent.. it would be pretty damn hard to make them look very real REAL. The only thing.. it was pretty shaky when and when not the mushi could be visible to people other than Ginko. It seems like sometimes they would be visible to people and others not.

Overall.. as a biased Mushishi fan I'll give the movie a pass for a good attempt. The story was really butchered and altered... and I'm not a nazi like that in any way.. I like to think I'm open to change.... but I thought the changes were drastic to the point of contradictory to its original meaning. Meh... the characters looked okay, but perhaps the backdrop and nature cinematography was my favourite aspect. I love how beautifully the nature setting was shot in Mushishi.

Final verdict:
As a Fan: 6.5/10
As the casual viewer: 4/10

~
Jenn

Also yeah Chucky of course you can write one.. I mean I'd be cool to see teh opinions of others.
Siye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 03:06   Link #15
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
cut for convenience.
THe one bright spot in the film?

This scene is basically the one in ep 20 at the end where Ginko carries Tanyuu to the karst topographic field and they chat. It can be assumed by the viewer than Ginko's and Tanyuu's relationship is actually closer than is implied in the anime... and it's clear that atleast from Tanyuu point of view that she has some feelings for Ginko.

*Smiles*
Old 2006-09-16, 03:42   Link #16
kuromitsu

Eh. :/ I apparently belong to a minority, but I liked the relationship between them in the anime, I wouldn't want them to become any closer. (If Ginko had to be paired up with someone I'd prefer the girl from episode 15.)

As for the movie, I didn't have high expectations, so hearing that it's not great is not disappointing... I'll watch it when I have a chance.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 03:54   Link #17
Lost

I foresee that the only person to fully enjoy this movie will be Cal... Wouldn't want to be in the same cinema as him when that scene comes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky
Mind if I write mine and post it here with spoiler tag? I was in the Friday screening sitting in the 3rd row from the back on the left.....

In short: I am very unhappy about it. I think Osada has missed the point and failed to deliver.
Please do, the more the merrier!

Quote:
- Ginko... not many changes.. other than the fact he's a little more emotional than anime Ginko. He's more prone to outburst and easier going. He laughs at jokes and overall is more DUDEish. Less of the stonerface ginko we all love. ^^;; Sadly he's lost the trench coat though and smokes a PIPE for most of the movie ( a wussy looking one too). However, he does smoke the trademark brown cig in the ep 20 flashback.
Thanks for that review Siye, it was detailed. Sad. Looks like Bugmaster degrades Mushishi into a horrorfest flick? Overall, from what your review, looks like it wasn't that nice. But, yesh, a fan of Mushishi must watch it no matter what, so I'm hoping that it comes to my sunny island. If not, that fan******s will get their grubby hands on it soon.

---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Ahh... but what if it were somebody who was both capable of dealing with Mushi and expressed the desire to travel with him?
Actually, yes, if that were possible I would love to see it. But the fact remains that Tanyuu is not like that; rather, can never be like that. And that is tragic, but isn't tragic on the other side of the coin as romance? So Mushishi does have a semblance of romance, it's just a tragic romance.

kuromitsu, I would like to both of them (Tanyuu and Ginko) to come closer together, but I realise that Anime-/Manga-wise, its really not possible. Yet.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-09-16 at 04:10.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 05:23   Link #18
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
I foresee that the only person to fully enjoy this movie will be Cal... Wouldn't want to be in the same cinema as him when that scene comes on.
Come on now, though I rapidly ship the two... and reading back a bit, I don't believe my question-form statement about a romantic interest for Ginko mentioned anyone specifically by name; purely hypothetical what-if you know, but if some girl in the show happened to fit that description, well... sheer coincidence.

But as I was saying, better a perfect story/series without overt romance than a so-so series with romance.

That said, if Mushishi Season 2 (may God in his pleasure make it happen) drops to just near-perfect but with overt romance, I would not complain.
Old 2006-10-23, 10:09   Link #19
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Ooh, there's a trailer for the live-action Mushishi online now at http://www.mushishi-movie.jp/. Click the blue button on the right on the homepage once it's loaded.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 00:18   Link #20
gianna
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Ooh, there's a trailer for the live-action Mushishi online now at http://www.mushishi-movie.jp/. Click the blue button on the right on the homepage once it's loaded.
I saw this afternoon Thank you! (now I can stop asking for the official site lol) That made my day and! my Mushishi poster came today

Wow That was quite a trailer For me the music, darkness, and pacing gave off a bit of a sense of horror
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote