AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-14, 12:05   Link #1
FiRe_RoSe82
SaKuRa-HiMe

Send a message via Yahoo to FiRe_RoSe82
2 main characters in LOVE but constant bickering at each other

Hi.. Need some help here... I've enjoyed a lot of anime through the years. Recently I'm looking for a specific theme. Preferably, the two main characters are a boy & girl having romantic spark (or looks romanticaly involved) but always quarelling & bickering at each other.... its a thrill to watch such comedic act...which makes them the most cutest couple.....hehehe.. some sort of like romantic comedy. I've a long list of anime that I've watched but I get this feeling I might have left out watching out some good/great ones. Here are examples of what I'm refering to:

Vandread - Hibiki & Dita
Inuyasha - Inuyasha & Kagome
Pretear - Himeno & Hayate
Cardcaptor Sakura - Syoran & Sakura (my all time favourite couple... rivals, friends then couple)
Fushigi Yuugi - Miaka & Tamahome
Marmalade Boy - Miki & Yuu
Gatekeepers - Ukiya & Ruriko
Midori No Hibi - Seiji & Midori (the best comical relationship)
Ranma - Ranma & Akane
Hime's Chan Ribbon - Himeko & Daichi
Daa! Daa! Daa! - Miyu & Kanata
Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne - Maron & Chiaki
Vision of Escaflowne - Hitomi & Van
Weeding Peach - Momoko & Yusuke

Hopefully some of you can add to this specific list of theme. Thanks!! Just for your info, here are some titles that Iv'e already watched!!

Other romantic comedy that I've enjoyed:
Aishiteruze Baby
Ah! My Goddess
Chobits
Fruits Basket
GTO
Kareshi Kanojo No Jijou
Love Hina
Mahoraba
Mamotte Shugogetten
Rizelmine
Narue No Sekai
Karin

Romance action/adventure that I've watched & enjoyed as well:
Abenobashi Mahou Shotengei
Arc the Lad
3 x 3 eyes
Banner of stars/Crest of star
Blue Seed
Chrno Cursade
D.N.Angel
Erementar Gerad
Fantastic Children
Flame of Recca
Full Metal Panic (Pinch of romance)
Gad Guard (same pinch)
Groove Adv Rave (same pinch)
Last Exile (same pinch)
Gunparade March
Howl's Moving Castle
Nadia
Otogizoushi
Princess Mononoke
Raganok the Animation
Saint Tail
Sailor Moon
Samurai Deeper Kyo (same pinch)
Scrapped Princess (same pinch)
Shakugan No Shana
Sousei No Aquarion
Stellvia
Star Ocean EX
Trigun (small pinch)
Tokyo Underground
Tsubasa Chronicle

Romance / sport
Ginban Kalediostar
Princess Nine
Old 2006-05-14, 12:26   Link #2
Juan Valdez

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (AKA Rumbling Hearts).

Lots of bickering

And Koi Kaze. Bickering from episode 2 onward.

EDIT: Also, since you seem to like Ghibli films, try Whisper of the Heart. Cute film. Also has that bickering you seem to enjoy.

Last edited by Juan Valdez; 2006-05-14 at 13:14.
Old 2006-05-14, 12:38   Link #3
wao
OK.

Planetes might fit your description.

But they don't continue bickering forever, of course...
Old 2006-05-14, 13:07   Link #4
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Well, Suzuka matches your description just perfectly

As for Koi Kaze, seconded but just if you don't mind incest based relationships (it's very well done and uses a brilliant way to show that particular world, but it's always incest what it is about).
Old 2006-05-14, 20:06   Link #5
FiRe_RoSe82
SaKuRa-HiMe

Juan: I have Kimi ga Nozomu Eien but yet to watch it. Heard that it has a tragedic end... can't handle those kind of anime at the moment... pressurizing & stressful.. would prefer something that makes me laugh a lot... As for Koi Kaze... maybe I'll give it a try.

Wao: I watched the 1st few eps of Planetes.... seems interesting.. I'll keep watching it.

Pellisier: I've already watched Suzuka.. it wasn't in my list cos honestly I didn't enjoy the show for some reasons. ooh.. didnt know that Koiz Kaze is based on incest relationship

Thanks Juan, Woa & Pellisier... really appreciate it... but keep your other suggestion flowing.
Old 2006-05-14, 20:15   Link #6
domino
デレデレ

Try Saiunkoku Monogatari. The relationship between the main couple is adorable and awkward (strong-hearted responsible girl + lazy clueless emperor). Sounds like it would be a perfect fit. It's a shoujo romantic comedy.
Old 2006-05-14, 20:33   Link #7
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiRe_RoSe82
Juan: I have Kimi ga Nozomu Eien but yet to watch it. Heard that it has a tragedic end... can't handle those kind of anime at the moment... pressurizing & stressful.. would prefer something that makes me laugh a lot... As for Koi Kaze... maybe I'll give it a try.
You definitely don't want KGNE (regardless of how good it may or may not be) it is the definition of tragedy.
If you can live with harem and fanservice, then that expands the definition a good deal. Magikano would fit your description from above: funny, two leads bicker a ton.
Another interesting idea might be Ouran High Host Club, though the feelings seem a little one-sided right now, I doubt it'll stay that way.
Old 2006-05-14, 20:39   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Right off the top of my head: Tsukuyomi Moon Phase ... reallly bickering couple action. Its been licensed though, so you'll have to hunt around or wait til it starts releasing in June.

I'm also a fan of the "bickering couple that stays true" type of romance.

I didn't see REC in your list .... the couple in that butt heads as much as coo.
its still unlicensed.
Old 2006-05-14, 20:50   Link #9
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
You definitely don't want KGNE (regardless of how good it may or may not be) it is the definition of tragedy.
If you can live with harem and fanservice, then that expands the definition a good deal. Magikano would fit your description from above: funny, two leads bicker a ton.
Another interesting idea might be Ouran High Host Club, though the feelings seem a little one-sided right now, I doubt it'll stay that way.
I second this man. Definitely watch Magikano, it's a very funny show ... I have my midterms today on a subject, but I marathoned Magikano because it's very fun to watch. And although the female lead here isn't strong, there is a very noticeable change in character as the end approaches. Haruo is great as well. The two main leads here bicker a witch hunter, the imouto, a tsundere ...

As for Ouran, I doubt it will stay that way. I don't know how BONES will pull it off, but it's called a romantic comedy because it will end happily. I don't know what sadness the main characters will pass through but I'll keep my faith in the two. It is also well-animated (BONES, duh) and possesses a thin plot well-executed.
Old 2006-05-14, 21:50   Link #10
Juan Valdez

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Hey, one man's tragedy is another man's comedy. As Mel Brooks said, "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall down an elevator shaft and you die." Or as Bender said, "Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny!"

Here's a good example: Ever see Leaving Las Vegas? Horribly tragic movie. The first time I saw it I was welling up. One of the saddest things I had ever seen. The second time I watched it was with my then girlfriend. I expected her to have a similar reaction but instead she was cracking up; laughing at the horrifically sad story that had almost caused me to cry; cracking jokes about the characters and their unfortunate fate.

As I witnessed her reaction to the film I began to understand why she thought it was so funny. It's easy to look at other people's misfortune and laugh and gloat about it. Much personal pleasure can be obtained from witnessing the hardships of others. Schadenfreude, I believe it's called. Everything is funny as long as it's not happening to you.

Much modern comedy is built upon this principle. Look at slapstick comedy or dark comedy (anime or otherwise) and you'll see it's a series of people getting hurt, humiliated, heartbroken, and so on. How is that different than a tragedy? Comedy and tragedy are essentially the same thing in terms of content. Both are typically centered around the unfortunate events of others. It's the way it's presented that determines how it's classified.

As for KGNE... I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Like Leaving Las Vegas, one might look at it and see a tragic love story, another might point and say "Ha Ha!"
Old 2006-05-14, 22:59   Link #11
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

This guy agrees with you, Juan ...

But I'm siding with rooboy for his Ouran and Magikano.
Old 2006-05-15, 00:30   Link #12
FiRe_RoSe82
SaKuRa-HiMe

Domino: Saiunkoku Monogatari sounds prefect. Its still on-going so I'm gonna wait for while till I watch it.

rooboy666: I've watched the first 2 episodes of Magikano & it sure does crack me up. I'm going to continue watching it. Ouran High Host Club another on-going series... but the synopsis sounds interesting. Its in my downloadable list.

Vexx: I have Tsukuyomi Moon Phase but yet to watch it. Heard that its a great anime but a dark theme. But I'll give it a try soon. As for REC, seems pretty short as it's only 9 eps. Again in my downloadable list.

physics223: BONES?? 1st time I'm hearing it. Any full names? so that I check out the synopsis... by the way, nice pic!! hehehehe..

Juan: Thanks for giving me a different perspective of the series. I was about to chunk it aside in some dark corner of my room. Maybe I'll give it a try some other days.

Thanks Domino, rooboy666, Venx, physic223 & Juan!!! Again if you have more suggestion, keep it flowing... It sure is great watching such theme/feature!!
Old 2006-05-15, 05:36   Link #13
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Godannar: Anna and Go, married and always arguing.

Amaenaideyo!: Chitose and Ikkou, not sure why buddhist nuns and monks can be in love and such, but they're always bikering.

Both are echhi anime though, not sure if a girl likes to watch such genres lol

Bonus fact: Both Aoi Anna and Nambu Chitose are busty, dark pink haired 16 year old girls who have the same voice actor: Nakahara Mai. The both of them are almost the same person
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-05-15, 11:09   Link #14
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valdez
As for KGNE... I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Like Leaving Las Vegas, one might look at it and see a tragic love story, another might point and say "Ha Ha!"
While your point is well taken, I have yet to see the person who defined KGNE as a comedy. Unless they were defining it as a train-wreck type comedy (as in, so overly melodramatic that it was funny), which would not be intentional.

I completely forgot about Tsukuyomi, that's another great example (the dynamic between Hazuki and Kohei is just hysterical).
Old 2006-05-15, 20:13   Link #15
lemondude
"super lemon"

Hana Yori Dango is good, one of my very fav. The manga of course. The anime is ok too. Jap live action suk but the Taiwain drama metor garden is pretty good.
Old 2006-05-16, 14:15   Link #16
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Did anyone mention Daa! Daa! Daa! ... Miyu and Kanata always bickering towards each other all the time. And it's really funny and cracks me everytime I watch it. Gakuen Alice has bickering between Mikan and Natsume
Old 2006-05-17, 09:57   Link #17
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Hmm I don't have many suggestions but wow, you have excellent taste. ^_^ You listed a LOT of my favorite series.

You've come to the right forum. XD Love-hate relationships are the BEST aren't they!? It's my favorite kind of romance!

Surely you've seen Full Moon, right? Mitsuki and Takuto bicker sometimes and Takuto always gets jealous and it's really really cute and they have great chemistry hehe... The whole series is amazing shoujo masterpiece. Licensed by Viz.

You might enjoy

Nurse Angel Ririka SOS You obviously love shoujo and this is it! Ririka and Seiya CONSTANTLY fight but I think they do fall in love-I haven't seen the whole thing but Seiya has an adorable crush on Ririka.^_^

Hanbun No Tsuki Ga Noboru Sora-cute couple but the girl is always throwing things at the guy and locking him outside but both care about each other a lot-it's funny and sweet.^_^

Onegai Teacher-Kei and Mizuho bicker sometimes but stay true. It's quite sweet. It can be a little ecchi but that goes away after the first eps.
Licensed.

Princess Tutu! FakirxAhiru is so LOVE. It takes a little while but man is it worth it! And they do quarrel a lot. In the meantime, you should enjoy the series itself-you seem to like (my favorite genre!!) magical girl shows, am I right?^^ Well this is a masterpiece of that genre!
Licensed by ADV.

Bleach is not a romance series but I enjoy Ichigo and Rukia's frequent "bickering like a married couple" quite a bit. There are subtle hints that they like each other as well but nothing has been confirmed yet. I personally believe Rukia loves Ichigo.^_^
Licensed by Viz.

And this isn't anime yet but PLEASE read the Kamichama Karin manga! It has EXACTLY what you're looking for. Karin and Kazune fight ALL the time (like 24/7 ) but they totally love each other and they're so freakin adorable as a couple!! I hope it gets an anime soon.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2006-05-17 at 10:09.
Old 2006-05-17, 11:23   Link #18
FiRe_RoSe82
SaKuRa-HiMe

C.A: Never heard Godannar before.. need to check its synopsis 1st.. as for Amaendaiyo sounds ok. Maybe I will watch it!

Lemondude: Yup I have Hana Yori Dango. & yes i did watch the taiwanese version Meteor Garden.. I was so hooked to show & totally love it... gosh!! brings memories of myself waiting anxiously in front of the TV every week before the show starts.... but havent got the time to watch this anime yet. Since you remind me of it, I'll placed a top priority for it.

musume_no_hoshi: I did mention Daa! Daa! Daa! In my initial post. Love the chemistry between Miyu & Kanata.. BUT sadly the show has not been fansub completely... DYING to watch till the end. As for Gakuen Alice, yup I've already watched that too.. watching Mikan getting bullied by Natsume is hilarious... another sad case... new episode hasn't been out for some time!

Chiibi: You're my partner in crime. LOVE these theme. YES I HAVE WATCH FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE!! How can i not?? hehehe.. its one of the best romance anime ever made. 1st time I'm hearing of Nurse Angel Ririka SOS. the plot abt being nurse angel sems a bit weird but I think I'll give it a try. Hanbun No Tsuki Ga Noboru Sora.. I'm watching it at them moment.. pretty sweet. AS for Onegai Teacher & Princess Tutu.. I'll definitely give a try after your recomendation. I initialy though that princes tutu was some kiddish show. BLEACH is already in my list.. Both do spice things up... abt Rukia loving Ichigo.. hmm that's a big qn?? I'm not into manga yet.. still faithful to anime.. i guess i prefer movable scenes.

Thanks C.A, Lemondude, musume_no_hoshi & Chiibi!!! Turns out a lot of suggestion were given.. keep it flowing..

Last edited by FiRe_RoSe82; 2006-05-17 at 11:48.
Old 2006-05-17, 13:11   Link #19
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Chiibi: You're my partner in crime. LOVE these theme. YES I HAVE WATCH FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE!! How can i not?? hehehe.. its one of the best romance anime ever made.
XD I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

Yes, try Ririka-she's a nurse angel but it's not that weird-just typical magical girl. Princess Tutu is very sophisticated-even DARK, despite its cheery fairytale appearance...but it hits the WOW factor on many levels.
Old 2006-05-17, 13:51   Link #20
tritoch

Honey and Clover has that its a very enjoyable show
Closed Thread