AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 27 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 340 65.01%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 97 18.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 35 6.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 3.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 1.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.19%
1 out of 10 : Painful 17 3.25%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-23, 05:54   Link #761
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Personally, I think that Gainax just didn't have it in them to do an entirely happy ending; it just goes too much against their preferred way of doing endings.
Gainax isn't ALWAYS like this. Gunbuster was pretty happy, and FLCL was too.

...Maybe it's just their broadcast shows.
Old 2009-09-23, 22:51   Link #762
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem The Great View Post
Hmmm Yea, I kinda worded it wrong when I said sad. I agree that bittersweet is a better way to put it. I remember seeing NGE's last episode, and I did not understand what the heck happened. But that's another story.

Still, I am wondering why the beginning is all about kicking reason to the curb and then in the end, there was a sudden change of heart. "Some things just weren't meant to be kicked to the curb," Is the way I see the episode's final moral. Why the sudden change of heart? I am aware that the reason why Simon decided not to revive Kamina and Nia is because he would end up stooping as low as Anti-Spiral. But who says he wouldn't have been a good god? LOL! I'm kidding about the good god thing, but could someone give me an explanation? Not trying to be a troll here, it's just something that's been bugging me alot recentally.
Heh.. it's fun to theorize about such things, isn't it? Here's my own take, for fun.

I honestly don't think Simon cared about the anti-spirals beyond their "take care of the universe in our stead" message. At that point, he had to take up the mantle as "protector of the universe". Besides that point, we don't know just how well he understood his own powers. The series seemed to imply near the end that he fully fathomed his abilities and their effects on the universe. That is to say, he possibly knew the dangers and limits of spiral power.

Perhaps it was simply his intuition he had that if he used spiral power "against" itself, to resurrect someone, it would become the so-called spiral nemesis. In other words, using spiral power to "evolve" wasn't the issue - even if it caused destruction it always caused a spiraling improvement in the situation. However, it's possible that the point was that using that power to go *against* evolution, it could somehow become a threat to the universe. At least, that's how I read it. And resurrection seems like a really good way to go against the whole "evolution" motif.

Now, clearly it sucks that they felt it necessary to rob Simon of everything but his own meager sense of dignity at the end. But frankly, I feel that elevated him above "stock longcoat" status and actually made him heroic. He wasn't willing to sacrifice everything they had worked to defend for his own happiness, especially when Nia had already accepted her fate. He really was what everyone believed he was. Even if he's wrong that resurrection was a problem, the only person he really hurt was himself by not bringing Nia back.

Of course, you could say that he could bring others back and help other people heal, but he drew the line and demonstrated that he wasn't doing this for some half-assed reason: he would perhaps be the person hurt most by his own decision. Anyone who thinks about doing it in the future would have a role model that definitively said "I was willing to sacrifice everything I had to not do this, even though I was the universe's biggest hero up until that point". Pretty powerful warning.
Old 2009-09-26, 11:05   Link #763
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashZeStampeedo View Post
Of course, you could say that he could bring others back and help other people heal, but he drew the line and demonstrated that he wasn't doing this for some half-assed reason: he would perhaps be the person hurt most by his own decision. Anyone who thinks about doing it in the future would have a role model that definitively said "I was willing to sacrifice everything I had to not do this, even though I was the universe's biggest hero up until that point". Pretty powerful warning.
I think you're right.

Especially considering how much of a big deal this show makes of leading by example. Simon knows future generations will be looking at him for inspiration.
Old 2010-01-08, 19:41   Link #764
Fool On The Hill

I realize that it's probably been discussed and beaten to death (well...everything about the ending has been discussed to death) - but I just finished, and I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have Simon end up with Yoko down the road. Maybe that's just me trying to put myself into Simon's shoes.

The ending served the purpose of closure and gave you a glimpse of where everyone is though...so I guess that's good. Certainly don't want a sequel though - it wouldn't do the story any justice.
Old 2010-01-17, 23:37   Link #765
Aquifina

I resisted watching this series for the longest time, because of the possible over-the-top fanservice of Yoko I saw in the screenshots--but I decided to try it out via Amazon's video on demand via TiVO, and shockingly enough, the english dub is actually pretty good--although I would have preferred a sub.

The show started out as a fun ride--great action scenes, the fanservice didn't become tasteless aggravation as I feared it might, and the seriousness of Kamina's death was deftly handled as these things go, if still somewhat cliched.

But the show gradually acquired a more serious turn, while still retaining its fun swashbuckling character, and the poignant (but still fundamentally happy) ending really makes this anime distinctive, and one of my favorite series.

There needed to be some kind of realistic ballast in the end to the whole over-the-top "we can do anything!" tone of most of the show, and Nia's death provided that--but I think it's a mistake to think Simon wasn't happy. He of course would have wanted more time with Nia, but their love lives on his heart, and he seemed quietly content as a wanderer. And it was Nia who showed Simon how to accept that death is a part of life, after Kamina's demise.

All that being said, that really was a sad scene, to see Nia disappear right after the kiss--but life can never be all peaches and cream, and it was nice to see a shounen anime with all the cliched tributes to the triumph of willpower recognize that in a surprisingly mature way.
Old 2010-02-08, 19:31   Link #766
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool On The Hill View Post
I realize that it's probably been discussed and beaten to death (well...everything about the ending has been discussed to death) - but I just finished, and I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have Simon end up with Yoko down the road. Maybe that's just me trying to put myself into Simon's shoes.

The ending served the purpose of closure and gave you a glimpse of where everyone is though...so I guess that's good. Certainly don't want a sequel though - it wouldn't do the story any justice.
Just finished watching the series. I was wondering the same thing. Instead they both become loners for the rest of their lives. Sad Indeed.
Old 2010-07-13, 21:14   Link #767
y0shi

Damned I just finished the show...

The ending was fitting, the only thing that seemed terrible was the whole simon/yoko ending up alone thing, I really think this is the ultimate sad ending. Dying with your love doesnt even sound taht bad but roaming the earth for the rest of your life, all alone? With all these memories in your head? Simon kicking the bucket wouldve been more happy then that

I hate these endings T_T *tries to avoid other spoilerific stuff*
Honestly, dying hand in hand is bittersweet, this one was too much bitter, to little sweet
I see why he had to let nia go but at least h couldve had something to live on for, being wih his friends, being with yoko (not even as a couple) and becoming a teacher or something, activly helping to build a future, ANYTHING... But being all alone and forgotten?

And whats with all the teasing? The beginning of Ep1? Simons Eye? Is there any more to anything of that?
Anyone willi ng to tell me about the novels / mangas? Are they just different universes or does one of them actually contribute anything to the story?

DAMNED >_>" So depressing

~ I'll hold your hand if you hold mine ~
~ The time that we kill keeps us alive ~
Old 2010-07-14, 19:31   Link #768
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0shi View Post
Damned I just finished the show...

The ending was fitting, the only thing that seemed terrible was the whole simon/yoko ending up alone thing, I really think this is the ultimate sad ending. Dying with your love doesnt even sound taht bad but roaming the earth for the rest of your life, all alone? With all these memories in your head? Simon kicking the bucket wouldve been more happy then that

I hate these endings T_T *tries to avoid other spoilerific stuff*
Honestly, dying hand in hand is bittersweet, this one was too much bitter, to little sweet
I see why he had to let nia go but at least h couldve had something to live on for, being wih his friends, being with yoko (not even as a couple) and becoming a teacher or something, activly helping to build a future, ANYTHING... But being all alone and forgotten?

And whats with all the teasing? The beginning of Ep1? Simons Eye? Is there any more to anything of that?
Anyone willi ng to tell me about the novels / mangas? Are they just different universes or does one of them actually contribute anything to the story?

DAMNED >_>" So depressing
I was heartbroken at the ending. I cannot believe the super GAR man that Simon was, is gone. I hated the fact that he was just roaming around helping people. I was hoping he would be commander or at least piloting Gurren-Lagann in space. But none of the above. But I also can see why he didn't want to be commander, these douchebags in the city took him for granted. But, I guess he became a wanderer for Nia. Since it was her dream to plant flowers all over the world, he took it upon himself to fulfill that dream. I hate that the crew never even had a reunion in 20 years. Makes me sad. And also, Simon will NEVER be forgotten. Are you kidding me man, after all the hell he has been through and everything he did? He is bigger than all presidents combined in the United States. I can imagine him in the history books though. "This is Simon. He saved the world 2 million times, and kicked a lot of anti-spiral ass."

BUT. Nevertheless, most epic show I have ever seen in my life. My #1 anime of all time.
Old 2010-07-17, 01:41   Link #769
GurrenX12
Crazed Swordsman

i can't believe Simon gave his core drill to gimmy, if i were him i'd give it to Viral. he is like a commander now right? his gunman was scrapped, how is he gonna lead a fleet without a gunman?

and whatever happened to the original lazengan? lorgenome ditched it before it got destroyed.
Old 2010-07-17, 12:27   Link #770
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GurrenX12 View Post
i can't believe Simon gave his core drill to gimmy, if i were him i'd give it to Viral. he is like a commander now right? his gunman was scrapped, how is he gonna lead a fleet without a gunman?

and whatever happened to the original lazengan? lorgenome ditched it before it got destroyed.
He can't give it to Viral. Viral has NO spiral power whatsoever. You need spiral power to use Gurren Lagann. I just don't think he should of given his core drill to anybody. He's really the only one fit to really use it, but whatever, still a great ending.
Old 2010-07-21, 08:35   Link #771
hackled

Let the guy rest lol, he has been through enough troubles fighting over and over and over.

"This is Simon. He saved the world 2 million times, and kicked a lot of anti-spiral ass." I mean he did so much lol!

I think it was a good thing he passed on his powers. Hogging over it and not letting the newer generations learn isn't exactly the best thing to be doing. That'd be power hungry lol

Anyways, iunno about you guys, but I'm thinking they're actually hinting on a 2nd season?

The first episode, beginning scene. That isn't Simon at all. Cause we see a humanoid form of Boota which isn't supposed to be there, yet. Then if you noticed how TTGL love to reenact scenes but in a different perspective?

Like Simon versus Lordgenome > Simon versus Anti-Spiral brawl scene.

Simon's Drill versus Lordgenome's Drill > Simon's Drill versus Anti-Spiral's Drill.

If you noticed on episode 21, maybe a new hero is going to be born. The kid with the blue hair being bullied all the time, kinda reminds me of a certain blue haired kid too. And the scene showing the kid, Nakim and Yomako (Yoko) staring at a familliar moon and sun scene from the top of the tree.

Not to mention, that kid got the nickname Nakim the Treeclimber. A similarity to Simon the Digger.

Maybe Gainax is hinting over that Nakim may be the leading character for season 2? Iunno, what do you guys think?
Old 2010-07-22, 22:00   Link #772
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackled View Post
Let the guy rest lol, he has been through enough troubles fighting over and over and over.

"This is Simon. He saved the world 2 million times, and kicked a lot of anti-spiral ass." I mean he did so much lol!

I think it was a good thing he passed on his powers. Hogging over it and not letting the newer generations learn isn't exactly the best thing to be doing. That'd be power hungry lol

Anyways, iunno about you guys, but I'm thinking they're actually hinting on a 2nd season?

The first episode, beginning scene. That isn't Simon at all. Cause we see a humanoid form of Boota which isn't supposed to be there, yet. Then if you noticed how TTGL love to reenact scenes but in a different perspective?

Like Simon versus Lordgenome > Simon versus Anti-Spiral brawl scene.

Simon's Drill versus Lordgenome's Drill > Simon's Drill versus Anti-Spiral's Drill.

If you noticed on episode 21, maybe a new hero is going to be born. The kid with the blue hair being bullied all the time, kinda reminds me of a certain blue haired kid too. And the scene showing the kid, Nakim and Yomako (Yoko) staring at a familliar moon and sun scene from the top of the tree.

Not to mention, that kid got the nickname Nakim the Treeclimber. A similarity to Simon the Digger.

Maybe Gainax is hinting over that Nakim may be the leading character for season 2? Iunno, what do you guys think?
Not a chance. They would ruin the whole image of TTGL. The show is as epic as can be, they should leave it at that. And also, in the first episode, that IS supposedly Simon. They just messed it up a little bit, in the second arc, such as the jingling bells. At first when I saw those jingling bells, I thought it was Kamina's father. I still have suspicions that it was him, it's kind of strange how his father died above them, Lagann was under the village and the core drill too? I think it was him in the beginning because the voices were off too. But no, they will not make another season of the show. And the reenactment scenes were damn awesome. My god. Simon fistfighting with antispiral is win. Pure win. Simon stops for Nia. To fulfill her wish with the flowers, as shown in the movie. So, I understood more after learning that. Still. I miss GAR simon.
Old 2010-07-23, 16:22   Link #773
hackled

Gainax messing up on a perfectly awesome plot? I highly doubt so They have scriptwriters there so to not mess up things, right?

I will have my fingers crossed for a second season though. I know, most would feel the second season ruining it, but the movie did too damn good even if it was a creative reenactment. I strongly believe Gainax won't be bad enough to actually ruin it 'if' they were to make a 2nd season, right? They've got their reputation to uphold anyway D;
Old 2010-07-24, 08:03   Link #774
GurrenX12
Crazed Swordsman

in my opinion the show was 99.97% perfect i also believe another season would ruin the show.

in my opinion the only thing the show needs is another video game in which there is verses mode that allows you to play as every main character that has a gunman even Nia, and a story mode that goes from the show's beginning to its end.
Old 2010-07-24, 22:51   Link #775
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackled View Post
Gainax messing up on a perfectly awesome plot? I highly doubt so They have scriptwriters there so to not mess up things, right?

I will have my fingers crossed for a second season though. I know, most would feel the second season ruining it, but the movie did too damn good even if it was a creative reenactment. I strongly believe Gainax won't be bad enough to actually ruin it 'if' they were to make a 2nd season, right? They've got their reputation to uphold anyway D;
Uhhhhhh. Script writers don't mean it will be any good. There is no reason to make a second season. The show was concluded in almost every way possible. The only thing they could possibly do is Simon's adventures with Boota, but that would simply not be enough to call it a TTGL season. Not manly enough. There needs to be major Anti-spiral ass kicking to be TTGL. There are plenty of shows that have had crappy season 2s. For example: Darker Than Black. There have been others too. I hope they can remake this show in the future though, with even better technology. I would definitely buy it if they made it as GAR as the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GurrenX12 View Post
in my opinion the show was 99.97% perfect i also believe another season would ruin the show.

in my opinion the only thing the show needs is another video game in which there is verses mode that allows you to play as every main character that has a gunman even Nia, and a story mode that goes from the show's beginning to its end.
I don't know about that haha. Video games usually end up being terrible. The story mode is a pretty cool idea though.
Old 2010-07-25, 02:30   Link #776
GurrenX12
Crazed Swordsman

your right, but it would be awesome to play as th Tengen Toppa gunmen
Old 2010-07-26, 15:59   Link #777
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann!!!!!!!!!!!! Fatality.
Old 2010-07-29, 09:38   Link #778
LastResolve

meh its sad that simon ended up being a loner in his life and his wife to die so fast they should make a happier ending the 20 years later made it a bit worse but never the less he fullfilled his dream and created a different world
Old 2010-08-01, 19:47   Link #779
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastResolve View Post
meh its sad that simon ended up being a loner in his life and his wife to die so fast they should make a happier ending the 20 years later made it a bit worse but never the less he fullfilled his dream and created a different world
Well, he made his decision to become a lone wanderer. It wasn't his dream. It was Kamina's dream. Simon wanted to live a simpler life. In the end, it does match Simon as a character. He wasn't made a leader, hence what he says at the wedding "I am Simon the digger, there is someone more fit to go through the holes I have dug." He does undermine himself quite a bit though.
Old 2010-09-19, 13:34   Link #780
hivetyrant36

What is the song that starts when Anti-Spiral is talking to Nia?
I've looked everywhere and can't find it. also, if anyone needs any theoretical explanations I can help.
Closed Thread