AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-08-30, 17:07   Link #2001
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuroray View Post
Lol@Emotional damage.Kira emotional damage doesnt even scratch the surface of any of the UC era pilots not even including the main characters.
Um, yeah, I'm just going to have to disagree with that assessment.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 17:34   Link #2002
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Kira emotional damage doesnt even scratch the surface of any of the UC era pilots not even including the main characters.
Are you kidding me? SEED Finale was the single, most bad day for any protagonist with regards to their series, not only does Kira lose someone important to him(trying to be politically correct about Fllay) , he had to ignore that tension just to survive.

SEED and Destiny certainly has flaws, but not this.

Geez, nobody remembers Kira from SEED's first arc anymore. They always remember that caricature from Destiny. They forget that Kira was an exceptional pilot before he got Freedom, they forget that Kira had his share of struggles, had Emotional pain throughout the whole first half of SEED.
Old 2011-08-30, 17:41   Link #2003
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
They always remember that caricature from Destiny. They forget that Kira was an exceptional pilot before he got Freedom, they forget that Kira had his share of struggles, had Emotional pain throughout the whole first half of SEED.
Probably because Destiny took all that development except for the piloting and threw it out the window...
Old 2011-08-30, 18:02   Link #2004
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Probably because Destiny took all that development except for the piloting and threw it out the window...
Except Destiny didn't do that. People just don't want to accept that Kira doesn't always have to cry or be extremely angry all the times to still be emotionally affected by what happened in SEED.

Seriously, I hope when AGE comes around, people won't judge the characters' emotional damage by how loud they cry/scream.
Old 2011-08-30, 18:06   Link #2005
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Except Destiny didn't do that. People just don't want to accept that Kira doesn't always have to cry or be extremely angry all the times to still be emotionally affected by what happened in SEED.
I'm not talking about what happened to him in SEED. I'm talking about his development in Destiny: The only things that affected him in Destiny were Lacus almost getting killed and Cagalli crying. He was stuck in neutral the rest of the time as a character. The war must end. The war must end. The war must end. Kira was like a robot.
Old 2011-08-30, 18:18   Link #2006
monster

Quote:
I'm not talking about what happened to him in SEED. I'm talking about his development in Destiny: The only things that affected him in Destiny were Lacus almost getting killed and Cagalli crying. He was stuck in neutral the rest of the time as a character.
Good job, you've just realized that Kira is not the main character in Destiny. And that still has nothing to do with throwing Kira's development in SEED out the window.
Quote:
The war must end. The war must end. The war must end. Kira was like a robot.
Eh? Everybody wants the war to end. But Kira himself is the least obsessed about the war until after the invasion of Orb. That hardly justifies comparing Kira to a robot.
Old 2011-08-30, 18:23   Link #2007
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Good job, you've just realized that Kira is not the main character in Destiny.
I've always known Kira wasn't the main character of Destiny. You're attempts at belittling sarcasms are neither appreciative nor impressive.

Quote:
Eh? Everybody wants the war to end. But Kira himself is the least obsessed about the war until after the invasion of Orb. That hardly justifies comparing Kira to a robot.
Maybe, but the only time I've seen him show emotion in a battle was when Shinn was taking the Freedom apart. Every other time he was completely emotionless, save the minor annoyance on his face when his MS was bound during the SF's debut and he launched the DRAGOONs.
Old 2011-08-30, 18:38   Link #2008
monster

Quote:
I've always known Kira wasn't the main character of Destiny. You're attempts at belittling sarcasms are neither appreciative nor impressive.
See my edit. The point is your comment on Kira's "neutrality" as a character is irrelevant.
Quote:
Maybe, but the only time I've seen him show emotion in a battle was when Shinn was taking the Freedom apart. Every other time he was completely emotionless, save the minor annoyance on his face when his MS was bound during the SF's debut and he launched the DRAGOONs.
Not showing emotion is not the same as being emotionless. You sould realize that Kira doesn't get any joy in fighting even though he's good at it. So it should be clear why Kira doesn't usually display any emotion, especially after what he's been through in SEED.
Old 2011-08-30, 18:46   Link #2009
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
The point is your comment on Kira's "neutrality" as a character is irrelevant.
I think it's completely relevant. There's nothing wrong with neutral characters, but when they stop being characters and become plot devices there is something wrong.

Quote:
Not showing emotion is not the same as being emotionless. You sould realize that Kira doesn't get any joy in fighting even though he's good at it.
I do realize that, which is why he should show that he doesn't get any joy from fighting. Instead, what do they show? Him going about his business as usual both before and after he gets in the cockpit.

Quote:
So it should be clear why Kira doesn't usually display any emotion, especially after what he's been through in SEED.
That's even more reason to show emotion, and at the very least more of a reason to try to connect with characters like Shinn and Rey. Sure, they weren't in the mood to listen, but Kira never even made the effort. After Stella died, which Kira should have some understanding of Shinn's emotional state considering what happened to Flay, Kira's only communication with Shinn was "Please stop!", and I don't remember a single dialogue during his battle with Rey. He was Rau's ghost, nothing more.
Old 2011-08-30, 18:58   Link #2010
monster

Quote:
I think it's completely relevant. There's nothing wrong with neutral characters, but when they stop being characters and become plot devices there is something wrong.
I disagree, hence my comment about the main character. You can use a character as a plot device as long as they're not the main character. The typical "grunts" are the most common example of such characters. Obviously Kira is a step above grunt in Destiny, and that is shown by his effect on Shinn, but the principle is the same.
Quote:
I do realize that, which is why he should show that he doesn't get any joy from fighting. Instead, what do they show? Him going about his business as usual both before and after he gets in the cockpit.
This goes back to what Kira learned in SEED. Kira doesn't like fighting, but he also knows he has the power to protect his loved ones. He's no longer the same Kira that was in the beginning of SEED.

So you see, this just further shows that Kira's development in SEED was not wasted in Destiny.
Quote:
That's even more reason to show emotion, and at the very least more of a reason to try to connect with characters like Shinn and Rey. Sure, they weren't in the mood to listen, but Kira never even made the effort. After Stella died, which Kira should have some understanding of Shinn's emotional state considering what happened to Flay, Kira's only communication with Shinn was "Please stop!", and I don't remember a single dialogue during his battle with Rey. He was Rau's ghost, nothing more.
We don't really know if Kira knew about the significance of Stellar, and I highly doubt it. And he's never really been the type to just talk to anybody personally during battle without some serious provocations.
Old 2011-08-30, 19:01   Link #2011
PzIVf3

When they argument about Seed, Kira, all hell loose up..... Oh man pls. dont give that brain cancer at this thread. This is AGE.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 19:05   Link #2012
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
When they about Seed, Kira all hell broke up..... Oh man pls. dont give that brain cancer at this thread. This is AGE.
Well, my point is that whatever type of characters AGE will have, having a character that doesn't show too many emotion (like Kira in Destiny) wouldn't make the show any less realistic or adult in nature. It certainly shouldn't be the deciding factor in showing how horrible war is.
Old 2011-08-30, 19:13   Link #2013
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
I disagree, hence my comment about the main character. You can use a character as a plot device as long as they're not the main character. The typical "grunts" are the most common example of such characters. Obviously Kira is a step above grunt in Destiny, and that is shown by his effect on Shinn, but the principle is the same.
Grunts can be excused as a plot device because they're characters with generic faces, generic personalities if they're ever given one, and are rarely given enough screen time to be of any significance. Kira doesn't have such an excuse: He was the main character of the previous series, a major character in Destiny, and plays a large part in the main character of Destiny's back-story and current outlook on things. Kira is the prime character to have a dialogue with Shinn and help him grow out of the cycle he's trapped himself in, but he doesn't. He just stops battles he personally has a problem with and doesn't even say why he's doing it. So it's wrong. Okay, what exactly is wrong with it that he needs to show up and cause even more chaos? He never tells anyone.

Quote:
This goes back to what Kira learned in SEED. Kira doesn't like fighting, but he also knows he has the power to protect his loved ones. He's no longer the same Kira that was in the beginning of SEED. So you see, this just further shows that Kira's development in SEED was not wasted in Destiny.
So fighting is okay if it's to protect your loved ones? In its own twisted way, isn't that what the Bloody Valentine Wars are about?

Quote:
We don't really know if Kira knew about the significance of Stellar, and I highly doubt it.
Shinn screaming "You killed Stella(r)!!!" didn't clue him in?

Quote:
And he's never really been the type to just talk to anybody personally during battle without some serious provocations.
Shinn deliberately went after Kira multiple times, and Athrun mentioned Shinn to Kira at least once. On top of that, Athrun himself expressed interest in saving Shinn from himself multiple times, least of all when Shinn first got the Destiny Gundam and Athrun ended up back on the Archangel. Shouldn't that be more than enough for Kira to try talking with Shinn?

Anyway, we should stop this. This is the Gundam AGE thread, not the Kira Yamato character thread.
Old 2011-08-30, 19:42   Link #2014
monster

Quote:
This is the Gundam AGE thread, not the Kira Yamato character thread.
I agree, so I post my reply in another thread. You can read it or ignore it.
Old 2011-08-30, 19:49   Link #2015
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
I agree, so I post my reply in another thread. You can read it or ignore it.
I'll get to it in a bit.

Back on the topic of AGE, do we have a translation of what was said in the second PV yet?
Old 2011-08-30, 22:11   Link #2016
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

So what do you guys think will be the use of the beam ring seen on the Titus?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FzCswKcw2F...Hg/s1600/8.jpg

I don't think it will be very useful in hand to hand combat, given that it's circular and hooked on the wrist, I can't see it being all that effective.

I'm gonna say that..it'll be some sort of chakram? A throwing weapon of sorts?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 22:12   Link #2017
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Next thing you know, it's actually a "power up" kind of source .

I don't mind a beam chakram, though.
Old 2011-08-30, 22:14   Link #2018
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Maybe a booster of some kind to boost the punch? Unlikely though.
Old 2011-08-30, 22:14   Link #2019
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Another theory i have is that it could be like...a Dragonball Z type of energy blast, and the ring is the "stand by" mode.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 22:27   Link #2020
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It's called BROKEN PHANTOM, guys! Jeez!