AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-05-11, 00:58   Link #121
Theowne
耳をすませば

Have you ever seen the Kokoyakyu documentary? Tears when things go wrong isn't really much of an exaggeration. HS baseball is "serious business" in Japan for the kids as well. No doubt the portrayal of team dynamics here is a little softer than say...Giant Killing, but I digress....

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 01:53   Link #122
tsunade666

why does baseball is even serious in japan to begin with? is it their favorite sports? I'm still wondering about that with all the baseball type manga out their.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 01:13   Link #123
totalnet

I thought everyone knew that the Japanese love baseball more than American. They love baseball more than sumo. Their nation high school baseball championship gets the same or higher rating compare to the professional baseball championship.

BTW, in surveys ask about the Japanese favorite professional sports, 51% for baseball, 22% for football(soccer), and 18% for sumo.
totalnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 02:33   Link #124
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

I wouldn't be surprised if someone says "Baseball is Japan's National Sport" and would probably believe in it. In terms of Anime and Manga, it's obvious that the Japanese tend to write more about baseball than Sumo, Kendo, or Karate as a sport. Epi 7 raw is out... can't wait ^_^
Old 2010-05-14, 08:29   Link #125
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
why does baseball is even serious in japan to begin with? is it their favorite sports? I'm still wondering about that with all the baseball type manga out their.
Not sure if this might help give a bit of context, but a few years ago, the Canadian National Film Board released a documentary about the pre-WWII Canadian Japanese Asahi baseball team. IIRC some of the background near the start of the documentary gives a bit of information on it. They have is streaming over on their site if you care to watch
http://www.nfb.ca/film/sleeping_tige...aseball_story/

But yeah, they kick one of their teams out of their home stadium for 2 weeks a summer just so their can run Koshien.
Old 2010-05-14, 15:24   Link #126
tsunade666

WoW! that's one hardcore fan of baseball to even do that stunt just for koshien. And I wouldn't be surprised anymore with all the baseball theme manga that yells for KOSHIEN!!!
Old 2010-05-20, 21:29   Link #127
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Woot! Sub are out. Nice set up. Looks like Abe is really trying hard. Also, in other news apparently Abe has no social life and only thinks about baseball. Perhaps he is an android.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 23:25   Link #128
Aaerul

But only seems to make sense. Their practice starts at 4am and ends at 9am just before school starts, and then there is after school practice (another say 3 hours). That's a bit extreme. You'd have to sleep at like 7pm for that kind of schedule and you definitely don't have any free time left, and then there is homework.

Does anyone know where I can find out more about the artist who sang the anime's ending theme? It's a really pleasant piece, and I always listen to it after every episode.

「思想電車」
歌 - チュール

Churru. I checked the Japanese wikipedia and there isn't even an entry for this group. Super new? Only other single I found
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E8%A6%8B%E3...t_mus_ep_dpi_2

Same goes for the opening song group. Galileo Galilei. First time they've done anything for Anime I think.
Aaerul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-21, 08:29   Link #129
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
True, but we get the sense that most of the other boys at least think about something besides baseball. Abe and Ren though are totally obsessed- and maybe Tamija too- although he might just be a baseball genius so he follows baseball without having to think too hard.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-21, 11:24   Link #130
tsunade666

I think Tajima is the in born talents like the one they fought before that almost home run mihoshi. And I'm not sure if his the serious type or the playing type because he likes to play but sometimes and when a game is involved his all serious or concentrated on it.
Old 2010-05-22, 16:30   Link #131
Theowne
耳をすませば

Why is this thread so dead -_-. Did anyone else love Mihashi's father? This is our first glimpse of him, right? I love the parallels between him and his son in terms of awkwardness, yet you can easily see that somewhere along the lines, the guy scrounged up the confidence to find a wife and start a family. Abe's dad was great too. I greatly enjoyed that moment where Abe uses the word "trust", and his father is mocking him in his mind for childishly using such a loaded word. And I like how Abe, who comes off as dominant in scenes with Mihashi, is sort of exposed a little bit in terms of immaturity in that scene.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-22, 17:55   Link #132
tsunade666

I'm kinda impressed on mihashi's household.

Just imagining mihashi's behavior, it's really hard to talk to him and understand him and even make a good conversation.

Abe's doing good though Mihashi's level is just too high to crack open.
Old 2010-05-23, 10:55   Link #133
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Why is this thread so dead -_-
Probably because unlike cross game, this series is very honest and straightforward in its story telling, so there's barely anything to discuss given that anyone gets the same thing when watching the series.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 01:46   Link #134
Aaerul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Probably because unlike cross game, this series is very honest and straightforward in its story telling, so there's barely anything to discuss given that anyone gets the same thing when watching the series.
I agree here, this series is really straight forward, and in a very pleasant way. Cross Game on the contrary is a great anime for discussion because Adachi loves to use imagery and hidden, implicit meanings. These two couldn't be more different takes on Baseball and yet they are both just as great.
Aaerul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 03:29   Link #135
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Did a marathon on the series. Saizen are also subbing along with Central... YAY!!!!!! I can't wait for episode 9. Episode 8 was so very good at highlighting the anxiety a team can go through when things aren't going well according to plan. A team can still get through such adversity if even one individual can retain the coolness to stay mentally tough. It's very easy to lose the plot, so I was jumping for joy when the team's most timid noticed the pattern and was able to relay the info after some usual coercion. I simply love this show.

Yeap, can't wait for episode 9.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 08:10   Link #136
Connavar

The last eps has been amazing, i like how this game is going. Bjiu is seriously hurting the team. I wonder how they will react.

About this series being straigtforward i like how the story focus so much on the games,training and not other less important things. Good to see Mihashi,Abe family life. There is no pointless high school drama,comedy.

The games themselves is complicated enough,enjoyable. Its so well done, teams fighting each other mentally too.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 11:55   Link #137
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Did a marathon on the series. Saizen are also subbing along with Central... YAY!!!!!! I can't wait for episode 9. Episode 8 was so very good at highlighting the anxiety a team can go through when things aren't going well according to plan. A team can still get through such adversity if even one individual can retain the coolness to stay mentally tough. It's very easy to lose the plot, so I was jumping for joy when the team's most timid noticed the pattern and was able to relay the info after some usual coercion. I simply love this show.

Yeap, can't wait for episode 9.
I'll be at my niece's graduation in Alaska over the weekend so I won't get to #9 until I return. Plus my translator is also traveling(again) this coming weekend. Probably a Thursday morning release. At least you can watch 9 before 10 airs.
Old 2010-05-25, 12:25   Link #138
Connavar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
I'll be at my niece's graduation in Alaska over the weekend so I won't get to #9 until I return. Plus my translator is also traveling(again) this coming weekend. Probably a Thursday morning release. At least you can watch 9 before 10 airs.
No problem at all, thanks for the hard work and fast realeses.

Ofuri is too good to have to wait for slow groups
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 17:31   Link #139
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I'm super pumped to see episode nine with the change in strategy. And the innings are really flying by aren't they, makes me think that Nishura still has a chance to win and get to the next game.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 21:04   Link #140
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Yeah eps 8 is really good.
Abe gets pawned for the first two inning..
Can't wait for the counterattack of Nishiura...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, seinen, sports