AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-08, 13:36   Link #1
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Galaxy Express 999

The wait is over. L-E proudly brings you episode 1 of this space epic, with plenty more to come~

So, what do you guys think of the show and our job subtitling it?

For those who do not know, GE999 is one of the most influential anime series in history. It pretty much defined sci-fi as we know it, and helped establish Matsumoto Leiji's universe. Again, like with 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother, I ask that you give this show a shot and don't turn it down for having "dated" graphics, or being old.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 13:51   Link #2
AnimeFangirl

I'd rather have the OLD OLD Captain Harlock, but I think it's licensed. Not to knock your release, though. I'll be sure to check it out sometime.
Old 2004-02-08, 13:51   Link #3
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
OMG! THANK! YOU!

I've been waiting for this for a long time!

/me worhsips Tofusensei
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 13:51   Link #4
Tofusensei

Woops, I should put a link to the torrent, I guess

Link to GE999 ep 1 bit torrent

BTW, this was encoded with the latest Koepi build of xvid 1.0 RC2, I dunno if that works with RC1 decoding, or whatever, but just so ya know ^^;

-Tofu
Old 2004-02-08, 14:09   Link #5
Rebochan
Clubbing

It means you guys ROCK. You were already giving me my fair lady Oscar, then you give me Miyazaki, and now you're giving me the amazing lady Maetel in her original form? I may have to build a shrine now. Or at least keep downloading. It's so great that you guys keep doing these classic series - so many of today's series owe a lot to these older classics.

Now when this finishes downloading, I'll heap some more praise on.
Rebochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 14:26   Link #6
Kaizoku Luffy

Thanks a lot, I've been wanting to see this for a long time now.
Kaizoku Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 15:17   Link #7
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
cool. Many thanks.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 15:23   Link #8
a7m4

Thank you Live-eviL!!! At least one fansub groups appreciates classic anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
I'd rather have the OLD OLD Captain Harlock, but I think it's licensed. Not to knock your release, though. I'll be sure to check it out sometime.
The original 42 episode Space Pirate Captain Harlock Series is available on VHS fansubs. They are fairly hard to find though.
a7m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 16:00   Link #9
davFunereal
Village watchman.

This is dandy.

Thank you, Live-eviL.
davFunereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 17:00   Link #10
kuru

Smile And Live Evil also released a Persia episode in the same day

Galaxy Express 999 is an absolute classic of anime. Keep the good work.

And I'm quite happy to see you didn't forget forget your mahou shoujo fans. We want 3000 Miles and GE999, but we also want more Creamy Mami, Persia and Ask Dr. Rin

And you're still going to take more projects Pastel Yumi would be a nice one

PS: I'm not asking for Magical Emi because Anime Miners already subbed it all to DVD, including Semishigure. Wonderful series. Any shoujo fan should check it. Those interested can ask for copies thru Technogirls
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 17:21   Link #11
Rebochan
Clubbing

The subtitling seems good enough. It's so cool for me to finally be able to see the anime version - I used to read the manga when I still got Animerica. Speaking of which, this makes me want to track down the graphic novels...

Did I mention Maetel's gorgeous? Ahhhhh, Maetel-sama...I shall wait for you in front of my humble computer screen and contemplate how I am inferior to thee.
Old 2004-02-08, 17:34   Link #12
a7m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan
The subtitling seems good enough. It's so cool for me to finally be able to see the anime version - I used to read the manga when I still got Animerica. Speaking of which, this makes me want to track down the graphic novels...

Did I mention Maetel's gorgeous? Ahhhhh, Maetel-sama...I shall wait for you in front of my humble computer screen and contemplate how I am inferior to thee.
The manga that Viz released is actually the sequel to Galaxy Express. It started in the early 90s and is still ongoing.
a7m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 17:39   Link #13
Rebochan
Clubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7m4
The manga that Viz released is actually the sequel to Galaxy Express. It started in the early 90s and is still ongoing.
Ah, I see. Then I guess I'm out of luck for the original manga?

Viz has a nasty habit of releasing sequels without the proper labeling (i.e. Short Program 2)
Old 2004-02-09, 06:49   Link #14
Tofusensei

I am really surprised that from the initial responses, 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother seems to have more popularity (and downloads) than Galaxy Express 999... I wonder why that is O_o;;;;

-Tofu
Old 2004-02-09, 07:54   Link #15
Koshiba

Send a message via AIM to Koshiba Send a message via MSN to Koshiba
w00t. Thanks alot. I've been wanting to see this one for a while now. ^_^
Koshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 16:01   Link #16
musouka

I just wanted to add my profuse thanks and praises. My little brother and I have been huge fans of Matsumoto's works for a number of years. In fact, "Galaxy Express 999" was my little brother's introduction to the world of older manga that he previously wouldn't read because of the way it looked. Needless to say, he doesn't make that sort of mistake any more.

Still, I guess I had somehow forgotten how much power there is in Matsumoto's works. As I sat down to skip through the episode (to make sure everything was in order in terms of codecs and the like), I found myself drawn in and actually watching it all the way through. It's definitely an anime that trancends its age and makes for a truly magical and touching viewing experience. I was competely mesmerized.

So, thank you again, Live-Evil, for bringing us older shows that will most likely never see the light of day here. You have once again reconfirmed why you are my favorite fansubbing group and I await the next episode eagerly.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 16:04   Link #17
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
I am really surprised that from the initial responses, 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother seems to have more popularity (and downloads) than Galaxy Express 999... I wonder why that is O_o;;;;

-Tofu
Probably because there's more people that already knows what kind of anime is GE999 (thru the movies and manga released by Viz) compared to people who had a notion of what kind of anime is 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother.

Downloads of the second episode of each series may be a more interesting factor for comparison.

But I think you shouldn't worry a lot about this popularity thing. It would be good if they had as much downloads of fighting anime like Naruto (I suppose it's a fighting anime, never watched an episode), but we know it won't happen.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 16:35   Link #18
Starwolf

Yes Yes Yes Yes YES!!
I'm sooo happy becauso of you subbing that great series.
It'll be quite some work, if I remember correctly there are 113 episodes.
Will you finish this series?

Anyways thank you a lot for subbing such a great anime!

Wolf
Starwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 17:00   Link #19
guess

Several years ago, I happened to walk into this tiny diner. Well, it wasn’t exactly a diner but you got the idea. I was just hungry and wanted to grab a bite. You know some of the diners have some magazines or something like that. So did this one. What attracted my attention is that they had a few very old and dirty-looking manga lying there. At first, I didn’t even want to touch them. But then, I was alone and just to kill time, I picked up one of them, which happened to be one of the original version of Galaxy Express 999 manga, I think. As soon as I start reading it, I was like, “not bad, not bad at all.” That’s why I remembered the name of manga. I actually went to that diner a couple times later just to read those old manga. There were a mix of Galaxy Express 999 and some other manga, all pretty good and pretty old (70's). Of course, I read all of them in no time because there were just a few to begin with. Soon after that, I moved and forgot about this.

Thank you, Live-evil. I may just want to check out the anime version of Galaxy Express 999.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 17:04   Link #20
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

hmm, I guess the best analogy here in Japan to describe most of your emotions is:

キタ━━━━( ゚∀゚ )━━━━ッ!!
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote