AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-08-21, 17:11   Link #3661
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

I haven't touched D3 for many month and still don't have a max-leveled character nor reached Inferno (I think) . Has it been "crap"? Nope, not for me. I still like Leah. It wasn't for me as addicting as Diablo 2, but then again the only stuff I play/read on my computer anymore are Visual Novels and a tiny bit GW2 (more during my current semester vacations).

From the video, the Crusader looks kinda neat, but I don't think I'll get the expansion any time soon post-release. In before OP Hammerdin *lol*? Still, I like flashy holy effects .
Old 2013-08-21, 18:08   Link #3662
Veviticus

It wasn't crap, but it wasn't as good as what diablo 2 developed into. Sure diablo 2 didn't start off that well, but after many patches and the expansion, it became a great game. But diablo 3 was as if blizzard ignored everything they learnt from the diablo 2 improvements and released another pre patched diablo 2.

If anyone says it's overpriced, it's most likely because you have games like path of exile that is F2P and torchlight 2 that is a third of the price and both games offer equal or more enjoyment than diablo 3.

I'm not sure how I feel about this new expansion. Diablo 2 expansion had a great continuation with Baal, but this new angel of death seems to come out of nowhere. I'm not a novel reader. And the whole idea of hiding the black soul stone underground in a massive open room for anyone to find seems stupid to me.

There is one thing that blizzard does really well. Their cinematics are always amazing to watch.
Old 2013-08-21, 19:56   Link #3663
Wigwams

Quote:
"We want to implement a lot of the new systems and features in a pre-expansion patch for free. That should include Paragon 2.0, Loot 2.0, Loot Runs, and Nephalem Trials. For now, you'll need to purchase the expansion to play as the Crusader, explore Act V, unlock the Mystic, and level up to 70. These details may change as development moves along, but we want some of the core gameplay improvements to be available for everyone."
wont hurt to give it a trial before buying the expansion.
Old 2013-08-22, 03:04   Link #3664
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

After some time I realized that for me it is the auction house (not even the RMAH) that is hurting the way the game plays the most. When the first reaction to an unidentified legendary is "great, wonder how much that'll sell for" then something is wrong. The loot system turned into an economy sim.

With the new 'smart drops' system I will definitely go completely non-AH equipment, only trading with friends, who I'll try to convince to do the same.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 00:38   Link #3665
zibi88

but still its kinda weak that they add only 1 char in the expansion... and its paladin like based >_> isnt it like a copy of monk with shinny armor... I kinda hoped for chars that would be like from darkness that changed sides (fight evil with evil)...

I dont know if I will buy this game at all... I had a huge hype over d3 like everyone...played it was nice (AH with real money was not working at that time)...but the ending was sooo to expect from the start... last boss was so easy as its just sad.... then I played with other chars and just got bored slowly as it was really short game compared to d2

I guess I quit 2weeks after the real money AH started...it just turned into a farming sim.... if the game was like 1,5-2x longer with a little more chars then just 4 then it would be great.... well the skill tree is kinda a fail for sure... in d2 it was awsome to do the skill tree to make builds...had to choice how to play and what skill to max out ^^ and not just what expensive equip I have.
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 00:45   Link #3666
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I wasn't that surprised we only got one expansion character. I always kind of figured we'd have a couple expansions so one for each was what I figured would happen. If this one is going back to the black soulstone I somewhat expect the next one to tie in with Leah and her mother. After watching the making of video way back when I got the game it seemed like they wanted to tackle that aspect of things.

I may not be playing the game now, but I did get some decent value out of it. Played through a few difficulties with friends with various kinds of characters. May not have the staying power of D2, but it's not a horrible game.
Old 2013-08-23, 00:48   Link #3667
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Instead of making the game playable, let's port it to more places!

Derp.
And now a fucking expansion after a year, announced.*

This game is in no position for an expansion when it can't even get itself right-- each patch was reeking of desperation to keep players around. :S

And one extra class when D2 had 2? So D2X will have more classes than D3x? lol.

Pathetic. At least I got my money back via RMAH and played a game (Gw2) that was actually decent. I hope people don't fall for this shit again.

This must be the first time I've picked an AAA title, and have all my friends leave on me within 3 months. Stop selling your beta products plz.

*Yea, I realize that announcement date is not release date, but really, lol.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 04:20   Link #3668
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
And now a fucking expansion after a year, announced.*

This game is in no position for an expansion when it can't even get itself right-- each patch was reeking of desperation to keep players around. :S

And one extra class when D2 had 2? So D2X will have more classes than D3x? lol.

Pathetic. At least I got my money back via RMAH and played a game (Gw2) that was actually decent. I hope people don't fall for this shit again.

This must be the first time I've picked an AAA title, and have all my friends leave on me within 3 months. Stop selling your beta products plz.

*Yea, I realize that announcement date is not release date, but really, lol.
This right here, ladies and gentleman, is what I call nostalgia-induced D2 elitism.

IIRC you were someone that probably invested more time in D3 (including posting in this thread) than most here and still you can write a text like that? Also, how is this game not "playable"? I don't even...

PS: GJ comparing incomparables. You could've gone with Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile, those are actual worthy rivals. No, you go with oranges instead.
Old 2013-08-23, 05:07   Link #3669
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

You had to understand that most old DII players invested years into the game. 3 months invested in DIII is peanuts.
Old 2013-08-23, 05:10   Link #3670
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Do you still have to play the game 4 times to get max level? Cause I'll be honest that killed it for me. I only played through once though.

They should have paced the game better, so you could get max level in one play through. Then do something with harder difficulties and so on.
Old 2013-08-23, 06:23   Link #3671
Wigwams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Do you still have to play the game 4 times to get max level? Cause I'll be honest that killed it for me. I only played through once though.

They should have paced the game better, so you could get max level in one play through. Then do something with harder difficulties and so on.
well you actually can reach max level in hell act 3 or so. i know i did during my first play, thats without the exp stuffs introduced much later. if you really want to, you can reach 1-60 in 1 hour.

anyway regarding that, the idea of removing 1 of the difficulty has been brought up. i think if they introduce act 5, they can do it already.
Old 2013-08-23, 10:03   Link #3672
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I just want to play whatever difficulty I want. I don't want to be forced to move up difficulty one at a time.
Old 2013-08-23, 11:58   Link #3673
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
This right here, ladies and gentleman, is what I call nostalgia-induced D2 elitism.
I am an elitist. And this is why you shouldn't have tried to reply to me with that tone without being properly equipped, and now you may regret it.

Sorry, facts speak for themselves.

They're rushing out an expansion. This is related to nostalgia how? Heart of the Swarm took about 6 months longer to announce an expansion, and they used extensive pro stats and ladder stats to balance it out. Carefully. It might not have been perfect, but it's clear they knew what they are doing.

My friends that played D2 quit.

My friends that didn't play D2 quit.

Did the later suffer from nostalgia induced D2 elitism? Especially when I was trying to convince them to give it a bit more time?

Quote:
IIRC you were someone that probably invested more time in D3 (including posting in this thread) than most here and still you can write a text like that? Also, how is this game not "playable"? I don't even...

PS: GJ comparing incomparables. You could've gone with Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile, those are actual worthy rivals. No, you go with oranges instead.
And you're right, I did spend quite a bit of time, but if I didn't, how could I possibly write a proper assessment? I was promised that it was getting better, and it's only fair to wait and see. Did it? Yes, but unfortunately the first impressions made for an uphill struggle and rushing out an expansion kinda sours everything. Finding out that the interface was made pretty much so it could be easily ported to consoles is yet another. You would have just said Vallen and I needed to play more. They deserved a chance, and regardless of what you may say, my friends list vanished. You have some point of validity with apples and orange, but I'm afraid D3 is so MMO'fied that some people confuse it for a watered down version of WOW. That wasn't even part of my argument; that happened to be an action.

The most telling thing is that in your post, you stated absolutely nothing of substance that could say D3 is better or of any quality to break my assertion. Does that mean I win by default? Regardless of any lack of personal virtue or decency? I don't blame you though. It would be an uphill argument, against me, of all people.

So yea, D3 wasn't completely devoid of value, but it's damned hard to make a case for it apparently. If I'm considered an elitist for considering a game inferior then, well so be it.

Of course, your entire post is posted around a logical fallacy, but I wanted to make this look at least close. I tried. Sorry.

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-08-23 at 12:19.
Old 2013-08-23, 16:10   Link #3674
Hitenma
Behold! We are the Nine!

Well, the only argument you show is because people quit it so it's bad. Sorry, what is wrong with people quitting a game? I quit D3 a long time ago too, but I don't think it's bad. In fact, I spend more time in it than most other games. Is it enough to prove that D3 is one of the better games? The games I spend more time in than D3 are very old games, and I believe the biggest reason for that is I didn't have many choices back there. So that's it. The time when you can play the same game over and over is over.
Hitenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 16:41   Link #3675
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitenma View Post
Well, the only argument you show is because people quit it so it's bad. Sorry, what is wrong with people quitting a game? I quit D3 a long time ago too, but I don't think it's bad. In fact, I spend more time in it than most other games. Is it enough to prove that D3 is one of the better games? The games I spend more time in than D3 are very old games, and I believe the biggest reason for that is I didn't have many choices back there. So that's it. The time when you can play the same game over and over is over.
Yea, but the thing is that still has not a thing to do with nostalgia; if I just said my friends left due to dislike. Though I have said some other stuff such as the apparent rush nature of everything that comes out with the game. It's fine to think that has no relevance, but I only replied strongly since to use it as a strawman or to comment about me personally requires a greater cohesion of argument. I really have no problem with being told I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

Also, no it wasn't just all I said. I am bringing up the constant rushed development of the game that has no interest in the long run. This is why I brought up the short time frames. In fact, that was just one sentence or two about the friends leaving.

The other thing is that I think many older games have just as bad problems. I have many, many rants about the supposed sacred cow of Diablo II, too. That game was also in a terrible state for long periods of time but Blizzard was always very careful in their changes, even if they were making mistakes. Same thing with Brood War. And even if I don't like Starcraft II, they weren't just waving hammers around even if it was too fast-- changes were subtle and didn't completely change the game.

The other thing that renders the nostalgia argument completely moot and shows that one doesn't know what they're talking about is that Diablo II received a major patch with balance changes and new features in 2010. That's years after I stopped playing. So how exactly can i have nostalgia for that?

It's enough proof that Blizzard is capable of not rushing content "it's done when its done" and managing to continue to refine it carefully for over a decade.

Also, what was tolerable back then is different in an age where dial up has been replaced by high speed internet, for example.

Of course, I bring up friends too, because the b.net interface was horrifically lacking and only 4 players were allowed to play together that really killed the sociability aspect.

There are many, many other things I could say, but I didn't feel like having to subject you guys to it, simply because you can like, look at the rest of the thread.

Of course, you're welcome to your opinion of the game. I'm going to of course going defend what I'm saying.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-08-23, 16:42   Link #3676
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

I'm afraid im not just a non-elitist but also not that competitive when it comes to discussions as you. Let's see if I can nevertheless address some of your major points.

Since you like to draw on so called facts I'd like to know a few more details:
How many people have been working on HotS? How many people are working on D3X? Objectively, how ressource heavy was/is it to develop HotS vs D3X (a completely different genre iirc) ? As an avid advocate of facts I'm sure you can give me detailed answers to these crucial questions that would equally support your point.

As for friend 'statistics' , these are not facts but mere subjective indications and hardly representative. What if I told you that the majority of my friends actually played/have played D3 for a longer time than they did play D2? It doesn't matter, that doesn't make it a valid argument.

It seems you're tenaciously clinging to the aspect of 'time played' while neglecting two points compared to D2.

1. I don't know about you but most people don't have as much time to play D3 than they had when D2/LoD respectively was released simply because they're older.

2. Back in the D2/LoD days the number of games released per month wasn't even close to the frequency of releases today so it's pretty safe to say that nowadays the average time played for any game is significantly shorter due to more possible alternatives (not just within a genre but video games in general).

The game had many problems (and still does), I will be the first to point them out. However, there's only a single issue that makes you despise it that much: It seemingly does not have the same longevity as D2 (,yet). You don't have to make a case for it but read your original post again and tell me you're not coming out as denying it any positive qualities.

edit: well, seems like Hitenma pointed out some of my arguments already.
Old 2013-08-23, 17:20   Link #3677
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post

Since you like to draw on so called facts I'd like to know a few more details:
How many people have been working on HotS? How many people are working on D3X? Objectively, how ressource heavy was/is it to develop HotS vs D3X (a completely different genre iirc) ? As an avid advocate of facts I'm sure you can give me detailed answers to these crucial questions that would equally support your point.
Well, Starcraft II is an e-sport, meaning that they have all the input of a highly established player base, including people that play the game actively for a living. Pro-gaming has grown quite huge and well established, espeically in Korea. So you'd imagine that regardless of how many people are working on it, they are able to move much more quickly and achieve results. The proof that it's able to continue to function as one, is evident of the development process quality.

Also, one can just delve into Starcraft II patch notes, and note most changes are usually by <10%, because it's obvious that it makes a difference. You won't see any "double it" stuff.

Genre isn't an issue here. It's reasonable enough to say that the Starcraft II team is capable of rapid development through all the tools they have. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean the input that goes in isn't of a high level that is befitting of a quality product.

Quote:
As for friend 'statistics' , these are not facts but mere subjective indications and hardly representative. What if I told you that the majority of my friends actually played/have played D3 for a longer time than they did play D2? It doesn't matter, that doesn't make it a valid argument.
It's an ancedote-- the conclusion and result of something. It was never meant to be an argument itself.

Quote:
It seems you're tenaciously clinging to the aspect of 'time played' while neglecting two points compared to D2.
But I'm not.

You're confusing lasting appeal for time played. If I "play" a game for three years, but only play a total of one hundred hours, that still has more value over a longer period of time. The total volume played has an effect on this, but they are not the same thing.

Quote:
The game had many problems (and still does), I will be the first to point them out. However, there's only a single issue that makes you despise it that much: It seemingly does not have the same longevity as D2 (,yet). You don't have to make a case for it but read your original post again and tell me you're not coming out as denying it any positive qualities.
Actually my main point is this:
Quote:
This game is in no position for an expansion when it can't even get itself right
My problem has always always been my perceived direction with how the developers have addressed issues. It's a very simple concept: Learn to walk before you can run. Now simply because I have diagnosed them incapable of running doesn't mean they can't walk at all. Don't toss an expansion out until the game itself can straighten itself out. Stop promising the sky.

This isn't the first time a game has been made in bad shape. The only thing important is to solve these problems.

But when you rush out a product, and continue to rush out things, that's a problem. I won't have to name many priorities-- but the fact that pvp took 8 months (with broken scaling mind you!) to come out and the RMAH 3, is quite telling to me.

These things unfortunately override the good points for me. Yes, I didn't hate playing all of it, but when it comes to cost vs benefit, the experience gets pushed in the negative.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-08-23, 19:20   Link #3678
Wigwams

A very big patch is coming before the expansion, undecided people will be influenced by how good that is. The official d3 forum has lots of people already "throwing money at the monitor" and also alot of people who "will only buy the expansion if its $20" or "will only buy expansion if they add necro" and many who "will never give their money to blizz again".

Blizz has a chance to right alot of wrongs with the big patch. If they do it right, people might just come back. But its not for us to decide if the expansion timing is good or not. Lets wait for the sales number, this time D3X will sell depending on how well D3 was. The best judge for this game.
Old 2013-08-23, 19:57   Link #3679
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwams View Post
A very big patch is coming before the expansion, undecided people will be influenced by how good that is. The official d3 forum has lots of people already "throwing money at the monitor" and also alot of people who "will only buy the expansion if its $20" or "will only buy expansion if they add necro" and many who "will never give their money to blizz again".

Blizz has a chance to right alot of wrongs with the big patch. If they do it right, people might just come back. But its not for us to decide if the expansion timing is good or not. Lets wait for the sales number, this time D3X will sell depending on how well D3 was. The best judge for this game.
It will be indeed put to the test.

But however, I disagree with your assertion that it isn't for us to decide the timing is right for now. Everyone has a right to make that choice when they want to buy it now or later. Whether it is right or wrong is up to the subjective choice of the buyer.

If you want to use the sales to somehow provide an objective definition of quality, I don't think it's necessary to hide behind those things. The sales provide an objective definition of the business's performance and whether good or bad for the company aligns with any quantitative evaluation of good or bad of anything else is certainly up to interpretation. And certainly, such arguments can never be resolved, so I don't think there's really a point to it either. I certainly hope whoever benefits from this atm, will be happy though.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-08-24, 00:14   Link #3680
Wigwams

My thought is that blizzard releasing this expansion despite having a good number of issues to the current game is not a bad thing. Alot of people want an expansion already. Like you said we can all choose whether to buy this now or later, so no harm done. Plus the fact that this isnt just about adding new class and new act. Alot of stuffs are being changed to make gameplay better. This expansion is in itself an attempt to fix the game, if this was a free patch im sure noone would complain.

I think just fixing the current issues of the game isnt enough, alot of players dont really have "issues" with the game, but they want new content. So this expansion is a good step forward, maybe not the best step, but its definitely not gonna be a step backwards.

Tags
arpg, blizzard, dungeon crawler