AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-29, 07:55   Link #21
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I'd like to note that Cross Game isn't a comedy. I supposed it does have some comedic moments, but the main the topic of the anime is death and grief, with a dash of romance and baseball thrown in on the side.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-03-29, 08:51   Link #22
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

To avoid repetition to some extent, go try Tatami Galaxy. It's more young adult, college life sort of thing, but anyone who has ever went through that phase in every person's life will be able to identify to an extent with the main character's search for place and identity in the so-called rose colored campus life.
Old 2011-03-29, 09:50   Link #23
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The OP's lists includes a rather narrow range of shows with dark and gritty series like Gantz or Rainbow as his favorites. I think his replies have made it clear that shows like Cross Game or Tatami Galaxy don't fit in his definition of "serious/grown-up anime." Calling House of Five Leaves "ridiculous" told me that we have very different definitions of "serious" and "grown-up."

I notice that no one mentioned Black Lagoon, though that seems like it might fit his tastes. Perhaps it's too unrealistic, though. (I feel the same way about Lagoon, particularly the gun-fighting sequences, but I watched it for the story, which gets much better in season two I thought.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-03-29 at 10:02.
Old 2011-03-29, 13:40   Link #24
Alucardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Ok, you're almost as picky as me so I really want to help I know you said you don't want historic samurai stuff but you must watch Sword of the Stranger... It is a samurai movie but it's not very historic, it's animated amazingly by Bones (the studio behind DTB) and it's very serious, definitely not meant for kids. It doesn't have the complexity you seem to like in anime but it's still very, very good stuff.

Maybe you'd like Karas? I kind of doubt it because it doesn't have much depth in the story but it's a dark action/sci-fi anime that I enjoyed very much.

Durarara!!? Revolves around events that take place in Ikebukuro, Tokyo, with some supernatural elements. By the same people behind Baccano!, which is also excellent if you haven't seen it (personally, I think Baccano's better but DRRR had more endearing characters).

I might be able to think of more...
Karas seems to be too fantasious. Worth a try anyway, it looks kinda "appealing"!
Usually I avoid such animes, but there's exceptions, such as Hellsing.

I've seen DRRR actually. Not my favourite, but it was watchable.

Not seen Baccano, so I'll add it on my list.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I'd like to note that Cross Game isn't a comedy. I supposed it does have some comedic moments, but the main the topic of the anime is death and grief, with a dash of romance and baseball thrown in on the side.
Wiki said it's comedy-romance. I also find ball games pretty stupid, even IRL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
To avoid repetition to some extent, go try Tatami Galaxy. It's more young adult, college life sort of thing, but anyone who has ever went through that phase in every person's life will be able to identify to an extent with the main character's search for place and identity in the so-called rose colored campus life.
I'm not sure... this pic kind of scares me away from that anime:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The OP's lists includes a rather narrow range of shows with dark and gritty series like Gantz or Rainbow as his favorites. I think his replies have made it clear that shows like Cross Game or Tatami Galaxy don't fit in his definition of "serious/grown-up anime." Calling House of Five Leaves "ridiculous" told me that we have very different definitions of "serious" and "grown-up."

I notice that no one mentioned Black Lagoon, though that seems like it might fit his tastes. Perhaps it's too unrealistic, though. (I feel the same way about Lagoon, particularly the gun-fighting sequences, but I watched it for the story, which gets much better in season two I thought.)
As I said, I'm kind of new to anime and not even 100% sure myself either of what "genre" I like.
That's why I brought out all favs (actually pretty much 90% of all anime I've seen), so maybe there would be something similiar suggested.

Thanks for Black Lagoon! Story of it sounds interesting.
Old 2011-03-29, 15:00   Link #25
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
I'm with SeijiSensei , Alucardo would probably stop watching cross game as soon as he sees what gets shown at the start of the episodes
Of course Cross game is one of the best look into death and grief I've seen in not only anime but any work of fiction period but it's presented in a kind of lighthearted way and it seems that's not what Alucardo is looking for

To me it seems like Alucardo's definition of "serious and mature" it pretty much limited to dark and edgy,the rejection of Eden of the East tells me that.

But we're not here to debate what makes an anime mature,so I won't argue,I'm just pointing it out to help others make suggestions.

Quote:
I notice that no one mentioned Black Lagoon

Hey,I mentionned it at the start of the thread

Elucardo,are you willing to look into manga,because Ikigami seems to be what you're looking for but it doesn't have an anime.
Old 2011-03-29, 15:02   Link #26
Witch of Uncertainty

Higurashi no naku koro ni.
Incredible plot, but the first season is kinda low budget.

It's one of the "musts" in anime, imo. Along with Code Geass, Rozen maiden and Gurren Lagann.

I reccomend all of them.
Old 2011-03-30, 01:25   Link #27
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I see... dark and edgy.

That makes more sense. Unfortunately most of the dark and edgy shows I know of don't fit his other requirements. Neon Genesis Evangelion, Madoka Magica.

I guess Elfin Lied might fit? I didn't like that anime though. Too... traumatizing.

Death Note
is probably the kind of thing he's looking for right?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-03-30, 02:57   Link #28
Alucardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I'm with SeijiSensei , Alucardo would probably stop watching cross game as soon as he sees what gets shown at the start of the episodes
omfg! why did I click this link

Quote:

Elucardo,are you willing to look into manga,because Ikigami seems to be what you're looking for but it doesn't have an anime.
Has to be anime. I don't read comics/manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch of Uncertainty View Post
Higurashi no naku koro ni.
Incredible plot, but the first season is kinda low budget.

It's one of the "musts" in anime, imo. Along with Code Geass, Rozen maiden and Gurren Lagann.

I reccomend all of them.
Higurashi no naku koro ni - I've seen this one. Nothing special, but it was watchable.
Thanks.

Quote:
I see... dark and edgy.

That makes more sense. Unfortunately most of the dark and edgy shows I know of don't fit his other requirements. Neon Genesis Evangelion, Madoka Magica.

I guess Elfin Lied might fit? I didn't like that anime though. Too... traumatizing.

Death Note
is probably the kind of thing he's looking for right?
DN is in my 1st post (favs).
Elfen Lied was mentioned earlier, and I've seen it. I liked it very much.

Madoka Magica - not my cup of tea, because it involves magic and such.
Neon Genesis Evangelion - uhh... kids driving cyborgs.
Old 2011-03-30, 03:36   Link #29
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucardo View Post
Neon Genesis Evangelion - uhh... kids driving cyborgs.
The promo art is doing its job into fooling you that it's a normal mecha show.

from tv tropes "What drove Evangelion to popular prominence is the way it takes this relatively standard Humongous Mecha premise and transforms it into a dramatic character study rife with psychological analysis, religious references, genre deconstruction, social commentary, and themes such as societal alienation, depression, and the pain humans face both alone and together. "
Old 2011-03-30, 12:43   Link #30
Alucardo

Quote:
The promo art is doing its job into fooling you that it's a normal mecha show.

from tv tropes "What drove Evangelion to popular prominence is the way it takes this relatively standard Humongous Mecha premise and transforms it into a dramatic character study rife with psychological analysis, religious references, genre deconstruction, social commentary, and themes such as societal alienation, depression, and the pain humans face both alone and together. "
okay, I'll add it on my 2watch list.

edit:
thanks again guys, for Black Lagoon. Just started watching and it's good.
Could be better though, I'd like if it were more serious/realistic, but it's still pretty ok and interesting.

Last edited by Alucardo; 2011-03-31 at 16:52.
Old 2011-04-03, 18:48   Link #31
THX

Okay, given that we have similar tastes (I loved Gantz, Death Note, Rainbow, Darker Than Black and Ergo Proxy), I think I'm in a position to recommend some amazing anime. I'm not going to follow your really tight rules though, good serious and deep anime are few and far between - limiting yourself to a very narrow selection will leave you disappointed.

Wolf's Rain - I know you stated that it seems fantasy'ish and what not, but you are doing yourself a disservice by not watching this very deep and interesting anime.

Gankutsuoh - Futuristic Count of Monte Cristo. Great anime, but it takes a few episodes to get used to the very unusual animation/texturing.

Berserk - By far my favorite anime. Starts off as a your typical sword play show, but evolves into an epic story of good, evil and free will.

Claymore - Hesitate to mention it. I thought it was really enjoyable to watch, but in the end this is a mature action anime with an interesting story, rather than a story anime with good action scenes.

Basilisk - Same as above.

Some other suggestions of what I have liked:
Last Exile
Evangelion

Full Metal Alchemist - This is an odd anime. Alternates between being a light hearted action anime and a stone cold, brutal drama.

That's all that I can think of right now. You really can't go wrong with any of the anime I listed. I personally enjoyed Berserk immensely, even more so than Gantz and I think you should at least give 5-6 episodes a try.
Old 2011-04-04, 22:31   Link #32
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

As you are already watching Black Lagoon would also second Evangelion. Don't let the first episodes fool you it really transforms afterwards.

Have to highly recommend the two Ghost in the Shell: SAC series. Shouldn't be two futuristic and is quite serious. Would also suggest watching the first movie that started it all. A classic and a definite must see for anime.
Old 2011-04-05, 03:29   Link #33
Boduar

Hellsing OVA (definitely not the tv series which was pretty terrible). Not completely done yet think 8th one is coming out sometime this year but if you like action and can handle the gore its pretty good.
Old 2011-04-05, 05:02   Link #34
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Ef-A Tale Of Memories
Old 2011-04-06, 13:14   Link #35
Alucardo

Thanks guys

Hellsing - seen already both series and OVA. OVA's not that much better imo. Besides that I'm very disappointed new OVA takes 2 years to come out.

Ef-A Tale Of Memories - looks interesting.

@liquidmetal:
Ghost in the Shell: SAC - going to watch it, thx.

@THX:
Full Metal Alchemist - it seems very interesting when it comes to story, but I really don't want to watch a anime that has a kid as main character.

Last Exile - too fictional.

Gankutsuo - I love the novel it's based on. I could even forgive the anime being futuristic, but one thing that spoils it all is that Edmond has "elf" ears. WTF

Dunno about others yet.
Closed Thread