AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-11, 20:07   Link #1
gibits
Endless

Tenma and Nina

Umm is there something between them? I always thought they had a father-daughter type relationship but the later episodes seems to infer otherwise. The line that really made me think that they were attracted to eachother was when Nina first said she wanted to see Tenma again (along with Dieter). Okay that might seem innocent enough, but when Tenma sees her about to kill herself he tells her that he wouldn't know what to do if something happened to her. Then Tenma revives Johan because Nina asked him....Then in the last episode Nina got all gitty when she heard Tenma was back in town.

Is this more Japanese wishy-washy love or just am i just looking too much into this (or was I too dense not to see it earlier?)?
Old 2006-03-11, 22:25   Link #2
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

I doubt Tenma has a thing for Nina, but Nina definitely does.

Quote:
but when Tenma sees her about to kill herself he tells her that he wouldn't know what to do if something happened to her.
It was probably because she was the closest thing he had as a friend. Especially since he spent all that time trying to save her from Johan.
Old 2006-03-11, 23:11   Link #3
gibits
Endless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu
I doubt Tenma has a thing for Nina, but Nina definitely does.

It was probably because she was the closest thing he had as a friend. Especially since he spent all that time trying to save her from Johan.
Umm Tenma had a bunch of people he considered friends, many that he would trust his life with over the course of his hunt. Also he saved more than a few people from the evil clutches of Johan. It seems to be mutual, both want to save the other from damnation but damning themselves (by killing).

Hmm now that I say that I think it would be appropriate if they did/do get together.
Old 2006-03-12, 00:08   Link #4
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibits
Umm Tenma had a bunch of people he considered friends, many that he would trust his life with over the course of his hunt. Also he saved more than a few people from the evil clutches of Johan.
Well, I meant that she was the first one (when Johan came back) and that was still alive all this time. Kinda like the friend for the longest time compared to everyone else (I can't explain it very well for some reason). The only other person I can think of is Eva, but she isn't really that trustworthy.
Old 2006-03-28, 20:45   Link #5
gargleblaster
spluh.

Tenma was a practicing doctor when he first met the (very young) Nina. And with his personality, he'd be fully conscious of the detrimental effect he'd have on her, were he to pursue a relationship with her.

I mean, he met her when she was in a severe emotional state, having just shot her brother in the head. No matter how much time has gone by, their relationship (friends or more) would revolve around that time period. Even in the back of his mind he'd be thinking of her as that little helpless girl, and I don't think any sort of healthy adult male would go for that.

He's always going to be there for her, but that's where it ends with him. But as Shiryuu says, there's a lot of signs that she feels quite differently...
Old 2006-04-13, 03:22   Link #6
idofgrahf

Send a message via MSN to idofgrahf
Obviously Nina likes Tenma, as for Tenma, he was way to absorbed in finding Johan to really notice anything. Tenma is a doctor, you get over how your patient look pretty quickly or else your going to be so depressed you'll jump off a building That and he's seen worse (inside of a brain anyone?) so he'll get over the helpless girl thing pretty quick if not already.

Anyhow, this is not a romance anime and isn't meant to be romantically acurate in real life (if there is such thing) so i wouldn't be suprised if Tenma likes her too and he certianly could do worse for a wife then Nina, she's at least better looking then his old GF and without a mouth that makes you want to strangle her. Either way, I doubt we will ever find out.

Lacan/Grahf
Old 2006-04-15, 20:01   Link #7
Mumei

There's a 17 year difference in their age. Their relationship was never meant to be romantic, and I dislike the idea of pairings for the sake of having pairings.
Old 2006-04-16, 00:20   Link #8
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

For both Johan and Nina, Tenma is like the father figure they never had. Though for Johan, it was in a more twisted way, Johan reserved the ultimate "View of the End" for Tenma alone, his "gift" for the person who nearly lost everything to save his life is to give him ultimate loneliness. Tenma definately has a special place in the hearts of both twins.
Old 2007-01-15, 17:57   Link #9
oberatixx

Nina and Tenma

After finishing the series, I'm still a bit confused about their relationship. Is Nina in love with Tenma or does she just view him as a mentor figure like Dietriech does?

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-01-15 at 23:59. Reason: Threads merged.
Old 2007-07-01, 06:47   Link #10
Liflime

For me, it would be wrong if they end up as a pair. Their age gap is like, super duper large, try to imagine a huge gulf between them. But, I think Nina has feelings for Tenma.
Old 2008-01-12, 06:40   Link #11
kureshii
Disabled By Request

I guess it could work. But I think that they're really close because they went through a whole lot of shit together - Tenma saved Nina more than once, and Nina helped Tenma unravel the mystery and cope with the guilt that was eating him from inside. It's always comforting to know that someone out there knows what you went through.

Nina showing atypical interest in his return isn't that surprising on hindsight - she was pretty happy when Lotte visited her after all (last few eps), and I guess Tenma paying her a visit would be even rarer since he's with DWB and isn't exactly free to visit her that often. It's like having a really close friend visit you after a long time - you'd drop all your other appointments to see him, especially since if he's flying off again the next day, right?

Even if Nina did have some romantic interest in Tenma (which is also not that surprising), I believe she's sensible enough to know that pursuing it will get her nowhere - from the looks of it she's a career woman, and a long-distance relationship with a travelling doctor 17 years her senior just doesn't seem a very good idea.

Last edited by kureshii; 2008-01-20 at 12:19.
Old 2008-01-19, 03:16   Link #12
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Tenma is too chivalrous to put the moves on Nina, let alone have the idea even cross his mind. She's not even a blip on his romantic radar. She's one of many damsels in distress that the hands of the healer must save.

Just get over it. There's no romance there.
Closed Thread