AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-07, 18:06   Link #7721
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I do remember the Michael Fay case where the Americans were protesting about the caning being barbaric, and Clinton supposedly asked Singapore to cancel it. We only reduced the number of strokes "in favour of keeping cordial relations with the United States" : he still got spanked.
i think that was just the media. Most of the people I knew were in-favor of canning and wanted that back in the states.
Old 2010-06-07, 19:12   Link #7722
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I remember hearing about that.

It's really fantastic that the Media and the politicians got all outraged at some punk kid getting smacked up for acting like a shit head in other countries. Weren't there more serious matters to worry about?
One would think. I had no issue at all with the punishment and felt he got what he deserved. Many graffiti artists do what they do BECAUSE they weren't spanked as kids when they did something wrong.
Old 2010-06-07, 19:32   Link #7723
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
One would think. I had no issue at all with the punishment and felt he got what he deserved. Many graffiti artists do what they do BECAUSE they weren't spanked as kids when they did something wrong.
Actually he isn't a graffiti artist. He is a vandal : he stole a large number of road signs and even a traffic light.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-06-07, 19:43   Link #7724
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=artslot

The stage was set for a news conference: two chairs and two microphones on a table in the ornate neo-Baroque Salon Dorado of the presidential palace; two flags, of the United States and Peru. And a gaggle of reporters and photographers stood ready, armed with their questions.
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton walked into the hall with Peruvian President Alan Garcia and sat down on the chair in front of the American flag, a blue folder of prepared remarks in front of her.
But Garcia remained standing at the side of table. He made a lengthy statement in Spanish. And then he walked briskly out of the room, leaving Clinton by herself.

i didn't realize US/Peru relationship was that bad.
Old 2010-06-07, 20:32   Link #7725
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It's really fantastic that the Media and the politicians got all outraged at some punk kid getting smacked up for acting like a shit head in other countries. Weren't there more serious matters to worry about?
Clinton probably felt there was less downside in asking for leniency than in letting another country apply its laws to an American. The opposition has a tendency to make exaggerated claims about how the judicial system of every other country in the world is inferior to ours, and often make claims that Americans can never be fairly tried out of the country. This is supported by John Birch fantasies about the formation of a One World Government. This fantasy develops into rhetoric that Americans cannot be tried in other countries, or by an international court. Basically, if Clinton hadn't requested leniency, he would be responding to charges that he had allowed an American to be stripped of his rights.

It sounds stupid, but just look at how much the media freaks out when Obama bows his head to a foreign dignitary. Everyone in their right mind knows that it costs the US nothing, but every time he does it, you get paranoid fantasies spun in the news-media about how this signals the end of US autonomy.
Old 2010-06-07, 21:34   Link #7726
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
LOL. Switzerland was too orderly for him, huh? He had to vandalize Singapore? I guess if you want to stand out from the crowd you need to choose countries like these if you're out to make your mark with a spray can. Graffiti artists are a dime a dozen in places like New York:

Quote:

NSFW Sankaku : LDP in Evangelion Cosplay Appeal

Looks like the Diet is starving for attention from the Japanese netizens.
He's an LDP candidate??? What does you suppose Anno thinks of that? Is "Rei" running as well, or is she just an appeal to the "moe" voters?

What is going on in Japan anyway? This guy is a 40-yo "admitted 2ch denizen," not the kind of person I'd associate with the LDP. Is this an indication of some type of generational split within the Liberal Democrats? For political reasons I wouldn't be surprised to see such a split within the LDP in the wake of the DPJ's victory. What I find harder to believe is that the cleavage cuts between guys who identify with Shinji and their grandfathers.
Old 2010-06-07, 21:37   Link #7727
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Quote:
The reason why our police and government can mobilise so quickly is because of the size of our country : it is so bloody small. Combined with the large amount of service and high-value products we export, the amount of money we have humungous : the National Environmental Agency spends 3 million (or was that billion? can't remember) a year to keep our country clean and green.

Besides, our legal system is written with certain loopholes so that it can be flexed to suit logical sense, so the CJ can tell the mum to fly a kite if that happens.

I do remember the Michael Fay case where the Americans were protesting about the caning being barbaric, and Clinton supposedly asked Singapore to cancel it. We only reduced the number of strokes "in favour of keeping cordial relations with the United States" : he still got spanked.
Well if they don't want to get caned, they should just be good citizens!

Caning's a touchy subject, though it may bring back some humility back to the offenders.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2010-06-07, 22:31   Link #7728
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Anyway, those aren't enough. There is a small trick I always like to use : wear my bag on one side, and when the knee bends on that side, I drop a litter. If it can be torn into smaller bits, I will do it so as to be inconspicuous. Had done that for 5-6 years and never caught once.
Why are you so proud of your tricks you use to litter. Practice not getting caught by not littering in the first place.
Old 2010-06-07, 23:20   Link #7729
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Why are you so proud of your tricks you use to litter. Practice not getting caught by not littering in the first place.
In Singapore, you litter mostly because you either smoke (the butts) or snack (the wrappers). I do neither, so I don't need to litter.
Old 2010-06-08, 00:21   Link #7730
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Twilight Saga: New Moon wins five MTV Movie awards

Twilight wins Best Movie....AGAIN!

Seriously! Give other movies a chance!

Anyway i like the host Aziz Ansari. Boy was he funny, and i'm surprise that Tom Felton aka Draco Malfoy won Best Villain against Christoph "the Jew Hunter" Waltz from Inglorious Basterds but the best part of the awards has to be Tom Cruise as Les Grossman! And Les Grossman can dance! With Jenifer Lopez!!

Robbie Williams and Gary Barlow to release single
If Robbie does reunite with Take That. A lot of their fans will rejoicing.

Here's a video of one of their songs in their early years.
Old 2010-06-08, 03:41   Link #7731
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Japanese PM Naoto Kan and cabinet to be sworn in

A 42 years presenter named Renho become "Minister for Administrative Reforms".
Wow...
Old 2010-06-08, 06:17   Link #7732
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
He's an LDP candidate??? What does you suppose Anno thinks of that? Is "Rei" running as well, or is she just an appeal to the "moe" voters?

What is going on in Japan anyway? This guy is a 40-yo "admitted 2ch denizen," not the kind of person I'd associate with the LDP. Is this an indication of some type of generational split within the Liberal Democrats? For political reasons I wouldn't be surprised to see such a split within the LDP in the wake of the DPJ's victory. What I find harder to believe is that the cleavage cuts between guys who identify with Shinji and their grandfathers.
I guess that is politics for you : sometimes politicians will do anything to garner votes, restore image of their party, etc. Therefore voting has always been a choice between a set of lesser evils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Because there doesn't seem to be a unfilled bin nearby. Also, being a rush-rush person, I don't really search around for a bin if I don't have the time : I usually stuff my litter into my pocket, or if they are full, I just drop them that way.

I feel a little better than those litterbugs because they don't use their heads : they just blatantly leave their large pieces of stuff behind without making an attempt to hide them or something, and they knew it is littering. If you know you are doing something wrong, make sure you don't get caught, otherwise, don't do it at all. And if you do get caught, give up and move on, don't stay there and argue with the poor NEA plainclothes.

By the way, don't get me wrong. I am not an advocate of blatant littering, but I advocate attempting "wrong" (as judged by societal norms, not yourself) things once in a while and not getting caught : it teaches us three important things you can never learn from examples, other people's experiences or in class -

1. How to use our brains from scratch
2. Real humility under the circumstance of pure stupidity
3. Constantly remind ourselves of 1 in the future in whatever we do.

Weighing between the price of personal image and learning something, I choose the latter. Sure it makes me look stupid, and it lets me see more loopholes and alternate perspectives many others don't.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-06-08, 06:20   Link #7733
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
In Singapore, you litter mostly because you either smoke (the butts) or snack (the wrappers). I do neither, so I don't need to litter.
There aren't enough public trash bins to immediately dispose of any litter? Just asking, as here in Switzerland they are spaced about every 50m in populated areas (typically, at every crossing, bus stop, large shop), in more dense areas, like in downtown, I think there is one every 20 if not 10 meter.

And despite trash bins density increasing, it seems there is more and more littering, mostly beverage and snack packaging (damn uneducated youngsters and strangers!). But granted, we got rid of dog poop thanks to fees and robidog, and cigarette butts are becoming an increasingly rare sight, thanks to the anti-smoking policy, and pocket ashtrayers being distributed and somehow fashionable.
Old 2010-06-08, 06:24   Link #7734
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Here in the Philippines any piece of open space IS a trash bin.
Old 2010-06-08, 06:27   Link #7735
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
There aren't enough public trash bins to immediately dispose of any litter? Just asking, as here in Switzerland they are spaced about every 50m in populated areas (typically, at every crossing, bus stop, large shop), in more dense areas, like in downtown, I think there is one every 20 if not 10 meter.

And despite trash bins density increasing, it seems there is more and more littering, mostly beverage and snack packaging (damn uneducated youngsters and strangers!). But granted, we got rid of dog poop thanks to fees and robidog, and cigarette butts are becoming an increasingly rare sight, thanks to the anti-smoking policy, and pocket ashtrayers being distributed and somehow fashionable.
You probably forgot that human beings naturally generate something called rubbish.

Our bins here are somehow always full near the downtown areas and established biz districts, and there isn't enough workers to go round in their bincycles (cross between an electric bike and mobile dustbin) to empty them. Besides, Orchard Road is a rather traffic heavy place at all hours, so these bin cleaners aren't sufficient in numbers. It's either we get CWO (Corrective Work Order) people to clean up these places rather than the beaches, but they would be hard to supervise in such crowded places.

I wish we had those cleaner bots in Academy City (Toaru Majutsu no Index/Kagaku no Railgun).

Old 2010-06-08, 06:52   Link #7736
Noctis Lucis
It's how you think.

Quote:
You probably forgot that human beings naturally generate something called rubbish.

Our bins here are somehow always full near the downtown areas and established biz districts, and there isn't enough workers to go round in their bincycles (cross between an electric bike and mobile dustbin) to empty them. Besides, Orchard Road is a rather traffic heavy place at all hours, so these bin cleaners aren't sufficient in numbers. It's either we get CWO (Corrective Work Order) people to clean up these places rather than the beaches, but they would be hard to supervise in such crowded places.

I wish we had those cleaner bots in Academy City (Toaru Majutsu no Index/Kagaku no Railgun).
Honestly, it's LARGER bins Singapore needs. Given that in Singapore, people generate more trash than in say, Japan, we OBVIOUSLY need larger bins. Minimally, the size of those in Botanic Gardens/East Coast Park. Bins in Singapore tend to overfill between 12-5am (mysteriously).
Old 2010-06-08, 07:54   Link #7737
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis Lucis View Post
Honestly, it's LARGER bins Singapore needs. Given that in Singapore, people generate more trash than in say, Japan, we OBVIOUSLY need larger bins. Minimally, the size of those in Botanic Gardens/East Coast Park. Bins in Singapore tend to overfill between 12-5am (mysteriously).
Yep, size is a key component in the problem. Our small old bins were getting filled way too fast, especially in the busy areas, so larger ones were added.

Plus, I think take-aways, department stores and fast food restaurant have to manage their own bins in front of their shop.

But I admit that we have quite a lot of diligent workers, especially in rush hours.
Old 2010-06-08, 07:59   Link #7738
Noctis Lucis
It's how you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Yep, size is a key component in the problem. Our small old bins were getting filled way too fast, especially in the busy areas, so larger ones were added.

Plus, I think take-aways, department stores and fast food restaurant have to manage their own bins in front of their shop.

But I admit that we have quite a lot of diligent workers, especially in rush hours.
The older green bins were pretty bad, but the new grey ones are even smaller. Wonder who decided to put those in?
Old 2010-06-08, 16:00   Link #7739
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/09/wo...9china.html?hp

The Chinese Foreign Ministry said Tuesday that a North Korean border guard shot dead three Chinese nationals and wounded one last week in an incident in northeast China, prompting the Chinese government to file a formal complaint.
it is now official that NK is completely and utterly nuts?
Old 2010-06-08, 16:14   Link #7740
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it is now official that NK is completely and utterly nuts?
It seems so. If the guards are desperate, the people are too. I am looking at a steady influx of refugees fleeing the border and S.K shooting them from the front while N.K artying them from the back.

The DMZ is going to turn into a bloodbath.

Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international