AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-07, 21:38   Link #1
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Porfy no Nagai Tabi

Now that Les Miserables - Shoujo Cossette is over, this year's show in the World Masterpiece Theatre series is Porfy no Nagai Tabi ("Porfy's Long Journey") ポルフィの長い旅. It is based on the novel Les Orphelins de Simitra ("The Orphans of Simitra"), by the French author Paul-Jacques Bonzon, published in 1955.

The director is a name to conjure with: Mochizuki Tomomi. He directed the outstanding YKK (Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou) and Zettai Shounen, as well as Shinigami no Ballad. He also wrote Yami to Boushi to Hon, Fancy Lala, and Touka Gettan. Back in the 1980s, he directed episodes of Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road, and directed movies for both shows.

The story is set in Greece and involves a brother and his younger sister: Porfy (Porphyras) and Mina. Their father, an auto mechanic, has gone off to Athens to earn money to start his own garage. Porfy dreams of becoming a mechanic and working on cars with his father. The two children are living in the country with their mother when there is a big earthquake, and their mother is killed. They are left alone in the world. Eventually, even the two are separated, and Porphy sets out on a journey around Europe, looking for his sister. Hardship and abandonment are themes of many of Bonzon's works, apparently.

director: Mochizuki Tomomi
animation studio: Nippon Animation
lead writer: Kunii Kei
music: Moka
OP: Ikuko, "Porfy no Nagai Tabi (ポルフィの長い旅)"
ED: Da Capo, "Kimi e to Tsuzuku Michi (君へと続く道)"
broadcast: BS-Fuji, Sundays at 7:30pm, starting 6 January.
52 episodes.
official site
Anime News Network
Wikipedia Japan

cast:
Porfy: Kaida Yuki (Shusuke in Prince of Tennis, Abe no Masahiro in Shounen Onmyouji)
Mina: Fujimura Ayumi (Ayano in Kaze no Stigma, Nene in Touka Gettan, Karada in Asatte no Houkou)
their Mother: Shimamoto Sumi
Also features VAs such as Kujira (many background roles in Lucky Star, etc.), Inoue Kazuhiko, Toyonaga Toshiyuki.

Here are images from (left) the official site for the anime, and (right) the cover of the novel.

The first episode was slow but beautiful. The pacing was excellent, and the feelings of the characters were very delicately conveyed. It gave me some of the beautiful esthetic feeling I got from YKK. The character design is rather simple, but it works.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 21:44   Link #2
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

The first episode is really slow but very nice. It's a shame that no one will actually watch it sans you and me. =/
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 00:20   Link #3
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
Don't worry, I just finished watching the first episode myself xD

But I do agree that it is really beautiful. The stylish backgrounds, the voice acting, and the music were very well put together and in my opinion, make up for the flat character designs. This show has a lot of potential but sadly, everybody else will over look it because it's not up to their standards.
Jinsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 00:52   Link #4
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Screenshots for Episode 01:

I've watched the first episode last night. I was tired and lucky for me this was the perfect show to watch to soothe me down. Old fashioned art style is used to give the classic feel to the show. Animated movements and background imagery are also very simplistic. And so is the story. In one occasion in the episode:

Spoiler for episode 1 specific:

Considering this is a 52-episode series, things shouldn't always be this peaceful. Even though I'm not a fan of a longer running series I'll still follow this show on and off as best as I can.

Good job starting this thread Kaoru. It was one of the thing I was going to do as I log in for today.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 09:35   Link #5
yura`

The premise sounds like the kind of thing I would enjoy, but unfortunately, the chances of this being subbed are almost nil, no?
yura` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 10:30   Link #6
FireChick

Man! I wish someone would sub this! I wanna see this despite the odd-looking artwork.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 13:13   Link #7
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

I'd sub it but I'm not sure if I could stand doing full year project with the other ones I want to do in Spring. =x
Old 2008-01-14, 17:15   Link #8
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

It's so hard to commit to 52 episodes, sigh. The fact that there is a Chinese sub could make it possible for someone with better Chinese than Japanese to do, but it's still a huge commitment.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2008-01-14, 19:39   Link #9
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Yeah, a 52 episode series is a lot. If there wasn't any other series I wanted to do this year, I'd consider it but I'm aiming for at least two series in the Spring and one of those will probably be a 52 episode one. =x
Old 2008-01-22, 16:43   Link #10
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Episode 3 and the beat goes on.
Spoiler for ep3:
Old 2008-01-23, 09:27   Link #11
flarezard

I'm a great fan of World Masterpiece Theatre. Thier animations often made me cry. (When I was a kid, TV channels aired many animations of World Masterpiece Theatre, such as, Pollyanna, Little Women, Little Lord Fauntleroy, etc.)

I'm really glad they come back again, after stopping for 10 years, with 2 great stories like Les Miserables and Porphy no Nagai Tabi.
flarezard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 16:58   Link #12
solomon

Well, I watched the first ep raw. I thought it was cute and well made, mildly heartwarming without being saccharine. I may continue it dependent on my mood, but given the outlook of the story, it could serve to be a good counterwieght to Hakaba Kitarou which is the only thing i've commited to following this winter.

We Yanks never really got to see any World Masterpiece Theatre offerings like most europeans did back in the day (don't know why, the soccer moms would have loved to see such stuff on tv plus I hear many of them were actually quite good)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 07:46   Link #13
The_Pink_Furby
The 1 And Only Pink Furby

Never heard of the masterpiece theatre but the simple graphics and gripping storyline have me wanting to watch it. The minute i see it subbed anywhere im going to watch it ^_^.

Hopefully somebody wont mind subbing the 52 episode series which is alot to ask but hopefully somebody will be up to the challenge.
The_Pink_Furby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 12:07   Link #14
solomon

World Masterpiece Theatre was an annual showcase of animated adaptions of classic children's literature from around the world (mainly europe). It began officially during 1973 with Dog of Flanders and ended in 1997. It was a popular sunday night staple on the Fuji Tv network, In fact during the 70s-80s so popular that many older folks remember the adaptions of Dog of Flanders/3000 leagues in search of mother/Heidi of the Alps with as much loving nostaliga as they do Mazinger or Aim for the Ace (famous old school anime).

Many adpations were aired to good fanfare in Europe, particualry Spain, Italy and France who have a history of showing many anime on Public Tv during the 70s-80s.

A few adaptions did reach the US during the early 80s, but were either spottty video releases or relegated to the HBO channel.
Old 2008-01-24, 12:51   Link #15
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I do think WMT could be popular enough on US TV, old-fashioned as it is. But I believe US TV doesn't show anime subbed, only dubbed, whereas in Europe and elsewhere broadcasters find people are willing to accept subs for some shows. Since dubbing costs money, I think that only the most popular shows, especially little kids' shows, get on air.
Old 2008-01-24, 15:28   Link #16
solomon

I also think they could but I wonder where. Like I said in the Shojo Cossette forum, PBS would be a great fit (commercial networks wouldnt know how the hell to market em) but theres the little problem of actually making money cover costs.
Old 2008-02-03, 11:32   Link #17
flarezard

I found this while searching "シミトラの孤児" (Les Orphelins de Simitra - the real name of 'Porfy no Nagai Tabi' in Novel version) in Google. It's the novel summary of "Les Orphelins de Simitra" (Of course it's written Japanese)

http://fermat.sakura.ne.jp/meisaku/p...fy_tatsuzo.htm

Please Enjoy!! For people who understand Japanese, though...

One thing I must say, "Porfy-kun in novel is REALLY scarrier and more cunning than I saw in anime, REALLY"
flarezard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 23:26   Link #18
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Today I had enough time to catch up to the show. The simplicity of the pacing is just so darn attractive about it. The show is a stellar example of a slice-of-life theme.

Episode 3:

Porfy and Mina's dad comes back home to their utter delight.

Episode 4:

It is Mina's birthday. Porfy pretends to forget about her birthday. Mina pouts. The family goes out on a picnic. As the day nears its end, Porfy gives Mina her birthday present. It's a hand made replica of Apollo, the owl that lives with them, curved out of wood.

Episode 5:

The first showing of drama in the show. Porfy lies!!!

His father decides to open an auto repair shop. First, he needs to build it. Porfy wants to help but too bad he has to go to school to his reluctance. His friend Zaimis doesn't like the fact he wants to cut school. Disagreement ensues. Porfy cuts school. He goes to help his dad. When his dad wonders why Porfy is early, he tells his dad the teacher is taking a break/rest (personal day?), so school was over early. Porfy, you fiend! Not to worry, for Porfy comes clean a few days later after he amends friendship with Zaimis.

Episode 6:

A new girl from Italy is dropped off at Porfy's house by her dad because the dad needs to take care of a job where he can't bring his daughter. Her name is Alicia. Porfy thought she was a boy at first. Not a good start. Of course, Alicia soon comes around. By the end of the episode, Porfy-kun even gets a kiss on the cheek from her.

Yes, all is well in the world of Porfy's. Looking forward to episode 7. It should be out already but have been unsuccessful in locating the raw thus far.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 10:58   Link #19
golthin

You know, this is going to be heartbreaking! Looking at the family so happy and knowing what is going to happen is really terrible. the parents had a really wonderful backstory, Porfy's mom was a heiress but she abandon her old life for a poor schmuck !

I wonder if Porfy will meet Alicia during his travels!

Last edited by golthin; 2008-02-19 at 11:11.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 11:10   Link #20
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

No fansub wants to sub this?That's too bad.

So far,i have only watched episodes 1 and 2.The torrent takes forever and i can't wait to watch the next one,so does anyone knows where to direct download other episodes?
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote