Old 2004-06-13, 15:06   Link #21
wnkryo
HainShodan

It seems kinda wack.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 16:39   Link #22
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, it's hard to tell how good or bad the show will turn out from the first 2 episodes, but one thing is for sure, the effects ROCKS!!!! That MS war at the start of episode 1 is simply so fantastic to watch. it's WAY unrealistic for sure, but it looks simply so COOL.

However I do think there's a slight problem about the 2D character part... the characters look a bit too smooth and too good IMO. I expected the characters to look more rough and wild, but currently they lack the rough feel and look a bit too delicate...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 20:53   Link #23
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

From my point of view, I think it would have been pretty useless to just "remake" the old hit as that would do nothing for the prestige of the makers. However, by adding some "perks" they may be able to claim that the series became a modern hit because of their add-ons. I never saw the original Seven Samurai and it seems like I never will. Please refrain from bashing this new series because of its precedent and try to take this as a new anime.
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 20:53   Link #24
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well, it's hard to tell how good or bad the show will turn out from the first 2 episodes, but one thing is for sure, the effects ROCKS!!!! That MS war at the start of episode 1 is simply so fantastic to watch. it's WAY unrealistic for sure, but it looks simply so COOL.
I agree some parts are simply illogical. I remember one poster was saying in the past how he would hate the show if it had a guy simply slicing 10 storey mechas apart. I think he will hate it now since the guy does more than slicing 10 storey mechas apart

I have not yet been impressed and made eager for an anime ever since the debut of Fullmetal Alchemist. The first 2 episodes of this series impressed me and made me eager for their next episodes.

Having finally seen both 2 episodes with full audio. I have to say this. I fully agree with Lucier. The audio tracks are perfect for the scenes. Good old use of instruments with good scores enhances the feel of the scenes. Listen to the drums during the action sequences.

For those wanting to know how much change is there from the script Kurosawa used for his movie, the basic personalities of the 7 (we would have seen 3 so far) remain unchanged. They received adaptations that are interesting and actually worked well with the personalities.

Spoiler for characters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
However I do think there's a slight problem about the 2D character part... the characters look a bit too smooth and too good IMO. I expected the characters to look more rough and wild, but currently they lack the rough feel and look a bit too delicate...
Hmm dreamless, I'm not sure what you mean... I felt the characters are drawn very well. Or are you saying that they are drawn too much like genteel cityfolk? I don't think so since Kirara and gang are pretty much townsfolk like in my eyes.

From the two episodes so far, I think while they retain the original theme/main plot from the Kurosawa's film, they've added in side plots to extend the story. What they have shown so far looks full of potential and don't fret, it is not out of place so far. I dare say this is the better samurai anime this year (well, maybe till Otogizoushi comes out, but we'll see) just comparing on their first 2 episodes.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 21:22   Link #25
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I just watched episode 1 and 2. Gonzo, another beautiful animation.

Spoiler for Screenshots episode 1:
This is the kind of anime that makes me go wow like Last Exile. Cannot wait to see episode 3. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 21:25   Link #26
wnkryo
HainShodan

Who is subbing this? or are you guys just watching the raws?
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 21:31   Link #27
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
Who is subbing this? or are you guys just watching the raws?
There are at least 2 groups released the promo. Lucier seems to be interested too. I'm watching it raw, kinda makes me excited waiting for the next episode. ^^
Old 2004-06-13, 22:38   Link #28
H2-FumoGuu
パンツ。。。好き

I just watched the first ep. I did not like the original movie at all and generally don't like samurai stories, but I think this anime is pretty cool and am looking forward to the rest. All the changes they made were good. Take a boring movie and add some cute girls, some killer mecha, guys destroying buildings with one sword swing, and then wrap it all up in high quality animation... and you have something that works.

GJ Gonzo!
H2-FumoGuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 01:40   Link #29
zepher

Yep, they know their target audience well....

Well, this is animation...this is japan, so ofcourse they must add their local animation standards to it.
I bet if it was made in the US they wuld break out into song for no reason.

Why must they "spice it up" with these animation standards? now they just turned it into another one of those childish mecha anime out there.

now they have the samurai otaku, mech otaku, anime otaku, and the folks who like the movie (but they will probably stop watching after a few eps)

Well, at least now they can do some merchendising with the mechs and make extra money.

They could have done lots of progressive things with this concept, but now it's just a regressive anime aimed at the popular anime market, with good potential for merchendise.

Animation needs to break free from these standards and move on.
zepher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 21:53   Link #30
Renato_kun

Send a message via ICQ to Renato_kun Send a message via MSN to Renato_kun
Samurai 7 just released by Keep and Anbu.
I don't know if it is a good or bad news...good because they are a very good fansubber, bad because they suck with the "licensed anime" politics( let's not discuss it here, it's only my opinion), and it's almost impossible that series doesn't go licensed soon.
But I can't wait to watch this show!(downloading it now)
Renato_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 22:01   Link #31
KamelRed
I put the z0r in w00t.

Downloading both episodes subbed by Keep & ANBU. I have seen the original movie many times (watch it if you've never seen it!) and wasn't really expecting a mech anime to be based on it. But I don't dislike mech animes so I will just have to wait and see if they do Akira Kurosawa proud.
KamelRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 22:58   Link #32
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamelRed
Downloading both episodes subbed by Keep & ANBU. I have seen the original movie many times (watch it if you've never seen it!) and wasn't really expecting a mech anime to be based on it. But I don't dislike mech animes so I will just have to wait and see if they do Akira Kurosawa proud.
I don't know....if I'm not mistaken, wasn't the original made during the 1950s. If I'm right, then for a person like me who places a lot of value on the animation....I doubt I'm going to enjoy it as much I could have had with better CG or whatnot.

Well after watching the first episode, I kind of get what kind of anime its going to be and since I'm a sucker for these kind of genres I'll be sticking with this new anime. One question though is...are there really going to be 7 samurai in this or is there going to be 1 main protagonist?
Old 2004-06-14, 23:15   Link #33
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by -|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
I don't know....if I'm not mistaken, wasn't the original made during the 1950s. If I'm right, then for a person like me who places a lot of value on the animation....I doubt I'm going to enjoy it as much I could have had with better CG or whatnot.

Well after watching the first episode, I kind of get what kind of anime its going to be and since I'm a sucker for these kind of genres I'll be sticking with this new anime. One question though is...are there really going to be 7 samurai in this or is there going to be 1 main protagonist?
It is an adaptation. Akira Kurosawa has no part in this anime except for creating the original marvellous work.

The concepts remain (yes there will be 7 Samurais coming to the aid of the villagers) but some new twists and plots will be added in. Don't judge too early on plot/storyline just from 2 episodes. That can only be done so around 5 or 6 or even further.

But on the execution and what lil bits have been shown so far, I like it.

While I'm here, let me mention Akeep/AnBU's affiliate http://www.samurai-seven.com/
Doesn't seem to be fully functional yet though.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 23:50   Link #34
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

btw what day and time does this show air in japan?
Old 2004-06-15, 00:05   Link #35
SåßrêStrïké

Send a message via AIM to SåßrêStrïké
Well, when I first saw the promo, I nearly killed myself seeing the mechs in it. But now after watch the first 2 eps, it's starting to shape up to be pretty damn good. They are sticking to the main storyline of the movie, although personally I would've loved to see it turn into nothing but an animated version of the movie... that would've kick major ass. Still, I'll keeping watching this.
SåßrêStrïké is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 00:37   Link #36
KamelRed
I put the z0r in w00t.

Quote:
And you think I don't place a lot of value on animation? Whats this messageboard about again?

If you don't like classic black and white motion pictures, thats Kool & the Gang. But your missing out on some good flicks.

After watching the 2 episodes, I feel this will be a decent show to see till the end. I love how they incorporated some of the scenes from the movie to the series. For example, the peasants standing while looking at the bussling crowd with samurai walking through. Other scenes from the movie also get translated into the series.

/my 2 cents
KamelRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 00:47   Link #37
Secca
nya`
*Artist

The world concept here kinda remind me when I was playing Rift. ^^

Cyborg ninjas are badass. ^^
Old 2004-06-15, 01:29   Link #38
Za Paper

The animation isnt anything groundbreaking. It is the same Gonzo digimation that we've all seen before. This adaptation seems really bad actually. Why would robots want to steal rice? to eat?

Last edited by Za Paper; 2004-06-15 at 02:52.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 01:31   Link #39
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
btw what day and time does this show air in japan?
Bi-weekly Saturdays, two episodes each on CS satellite SkyPerfectTV channel 183 (PPV). Once again, like R.O.D., you guys get it for free while I have to pay 840 yen per viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
It is an adaptation. Akira Kurosawa has no part in this anime except for creating the original marvellous work.
That and the handicap of being been dead since six years ago.

Quote:
I never saw the original Seven Samurai and it seems like I never will. Please refrain from bashing this new series because of its precedent and try to take this as a new anime.
If not the original Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai," then I suggest John Sturges' Hollywood 1960 adaptation: "The Magnificent Seven." Yul Brynner makes an impressive role by playing Chris Adams, Eli Wallach did a superb job in doing Calvera (the bandit leader) and Steve McQueen was...pure Steve McQueen

Last edited by kj1980; 2004-06-15 at 02:29.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 01:34   Link #40
LK_LoA

I don't mind the over-the-top samurai action but the fact that use Akira Kurosawa's name in the title annoys me.
However, I'll have watch it before giving my opinion.
LK_LoA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical