AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-03, 19:19   Link #461
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

The first viz volume is out it felt nice to be reading the real thing instead of scanslations (not that I don't appreciate scanslations) The presentation is really nice and it was done really well. I know a lot of people hate this series but for me it is still one of my favorites and I am glad to finally see it in English.
Old 2007-07-04, 16:39   Link #462
SooHip

its plain and simple.
People's opinions on the ending is based on which girl they wanted to "win"
In the manga's case it was Nishino who got the nod.
And those who wanted Aya or Satsuki or whoever hate the ending.
Old 2007-07-05, 11:03   Link #463
aikming

Mizuki Kawashita has explained that she intended to end the manga with Aya when the story is in middle high school. When the story progress to high school, both the direction and fans response influence, she decided to end the manga with nishino. The ending is rushed because of the serialization but it has been long decided that she would end the manga with nishino
Old 2007-07-06, 08:00   Link #464
blahdida

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikming View Post
Mizuki Kawashita has explained that she intended to end the manga with Aya when the story is in middle high school. When the story progress to high school, both the direction and fans response influence, she decided to end the manga with nishino. The ending is rushed because of the serialization but it has been long decided that she would end the manga with nishino
That would have been nice if there was more character development for Nishino, even i would support Nishi if she was more involved with the story (I just go for anyone who was obviously suppose to win) To me, this is just as if in Love Hina that Keitaro ends up with Mitsune, misleading perceptions not enough development
Old 2007-07-06, 16:55   Link #465
Arakawa
Mugiwara
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahdida View Post
That would have been nice if there was more character development for Nishino, even i would support Nishi if she was more involved with the story (I just go for anyone who was obviously suppose to win) To me, this is just as if in Love Hina that Keitaro ends up with Mitsune, misleading perceptions not enough development
I personally think it was good the way it was. There was already a lot going on with Nishino and Manaka imo. In a real life situation I can see how you would struggle between picking the two girls, but Nishino and Manaka had already developed an intimate relationship whereas Aya was just beating around the bush. I like how the ending was more realistic than another fairy tale.

But then again, this could be a biased opinion since I always liked Tsukasa @_@
Old 2007-07-08, 09:43   Link #466
TraN

I liked the ending... Maybe because i liked Nishino and hated Aya...I don't think the manga could of had a better ending, hehe.
Old 2007-08-16, 23:56   Link #467
jofosho999

it seemed like nishino was going to win due to the time manaka and her spent from volume 12 up. i blame the author for not giving manaka and toujo more time together since amachi and kozue were taking up all that space. otherwise, this is my fav romance manga and hope they make an alternate ending
Old 2007-08-17, 20:42   Link #468
whitewater_81
...sigh...

Send a message via MSN to whitewater_81 Send a message via Yahoo to whitewater_81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofosho999 View Post
.... hope they make an alternate ending
lol..actually there is..this time Toujo wins...i think the link was posted here in this thread...just go a few pages back and you'll see it..
Old 2007-08-17, 23:30   Link #469
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

actually that is just a fan made ending, it would be nice to see an extra volume from the author with alternate endings and maybe some art and so on.
Old 2007-08-18, 01:06   Link #470
whitewater_81
...sigh...

Send a message via MSN to whitewater_81 Send a message via Yahoo to whitewater_81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykas View Post
actually that is just a fan made ending, it would be nice to see an extra volume from the author with alternate endings and maybe some art and so on.
yeah, he like cut and paste some scenes from the manga and put it in a page and changed the charas lines.

Well yeah,it would be really nice if the author made some alternate ending herself but i was really satisfied with the ending anyway so no biggy..hehe.GO NISHINO!!!.
Old 2007-08-28, 19:12   Link #471
Ashlotte
Clockwork

It was OK I suppose for a shonen romance...But god did it start really dragging in parts and really gaining a repetitive feel over time.

I wasnt big on the continual introduction of new girls...It was like the author was saying "Well I don't know how to develop the current characters further so heres some new girl im shoving into the story for no reason". Although if they'd focused on the existing girls im sure it would have given that more of the same feel...Satsuki continuing to throw herself at manaka...Tsukasa finding herself in romantic situations with manaka only for him to run away...etc, etc.

Story had potential it felt like, but didn't go very far with it.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2007-08-29, 06:51   Link #472
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SooHip View Post
its plain and simple.
People's opinions on the ending is based on which girl they wanted to "win"
In the manga's case it was Nishino who got the nod.
And those who wanted Aya or Satsuki or whoever hate the ending.
No actually the ending is just bad period even if you liked Nishino.
Old 2007-08-29, 11:00   Link #473
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Precisely. It appears that
1) The Mangaka didn't know who would win in the end beforehand.
2) The Mangaka picked Nishino because she won the 'popularity' contest.
3) Satsuki didn't have very much Nishino interaction. Her purpose was to keep Aya away from Manaka.
4) Yui wasn't there to block Nishino, she was a completely different side story.
5) She brings in a 5th character just to 'milk' the manga, but then completely just ignores her at the end.

That's why it sucks.

Think of it this way, what if Inuyasha ended with Inuyasha and Kikiyo getting married and Kagome going back home forever? That was shown but would probably be considered a 'bad ending'. (And PS, yes I know this is impossible but just consider it)

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2007-08-29, 12:55   Link #474
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
That seems to be the hardest point to get through to people. The quality of the story has nothing to do with "who won". It has to do with the mechanics of the plotline, evolution of the character relationships, and portraying the characters themselves in a sane, connected manner.
I'm prone to using Frodo as an example of character evolution since he does things later in the book he never could have done in the early sequences... but the reader understands how he got that way.

A number of these 'harem' romances (anime or manga) suffer from the "jerky stickpuppet syndrome" (coined that during Shuffle!'s anime run). The characters don't move naturally on the stage but are jerked from position to position. The writers are no longer invisible but have become a malicious god shoving their creations around doing things they would not naturally do.

Any ending would have been fine if the journey there had been written in a cohesive manner with an understanding of human behavior. The author set up her premise nicely, created some interesting characters -- but seemed to have no idea how to converge on a solution. When the sales and merchandising fell flat, the publisher told her to wrap it up so she used the "time jump" epilog to skip over to the results.

Even Love Hina, as messy and rambling as it is, succesfully communicated *why* the characters thought and decided as they did and it was clear why it ended as it did (though I'll always think Keitaro chose poorly ).
Old 2007-08-30, 07:04   Link #475
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

I was posting about this manga on another forum and decided to bring what I said to this discussion since I have been working on this whole why does the ending suck theory for a while.

I have recently been thinking about the end of this manga and why the ending is so reviled by everyone (except the nishino fanboys) there are a few theories.
1) (and this is one of mine) That people are disapointed because thier expectations were led twards aya if she had been chosen the people who didn't like her and prefered another girl could have accepted it because they expected it. nishino on the other hand was a great surprise to many. most people would have been ok with "thier" girl winning ( i am a satsuki fan) but couldn't accept someone besides thier girl or aya winning.
2) the manga was poorly constructed in its base, it meanders about repeating themes and when the ending comes it pops up suddenly and without any explanation.
3) (my new theory)there was no real confession scene with a decision time included, the orriginal confession to nishino is pathetic and in the first volume so it doesn't count. I am talking about a confession at or near the end of the manga where the guy who has held back his feelings finally lets it all out like the fans have been screaming at him to do for many volumes. In ichigo 100% we are essentially cheated of this experience and instead we just have the female confessions which are pretty typical stuff from this sort of manga. Harem manga is pretty formulaic and I have come to believe when an element of the formula is missing people find something dissapointing but they aren't sure what it is.
I am not saying these theories are mutually exclusive simply that they all exist, i am sure there are more out there as well.
Old 2007-09-01, 20:53   Link #476
Aznbanana

Well.. just finished reading it and honestly, i hope there is some kind of continuation to this because it just felt like it didn't end properly with the loose ends on some of the characters. I sorta felt dissapointed at the timeskip before Tsukasa left because the author could've used that time to solidify the relationship between Manaka and Tsukasa without any interference. I was pretty dissapointed at how Manaka chose Nishino jsut because of a dumb misunderstanding. I mean, he didn't CHOOSE CHOOSE, he just eliminated the choice because of a misunderstanding. I'm honestly a Nishino fan because her personality was fun and she can cook Anyways, the ending just came way to suddenly and it lacked the build up a good ending should have. But this was an interesting nonetheless since he didn't take the most obvious female lead but the one who took advantage of her opportunites even though im not endorsing her choice lol.
Old 2007-09-01, 22:09   Link #477
gnajub
Banned

about the toujou ending.. is it like a doujin or something like a fan-made video? i would like to see it my self but it seems that the user is out of bandwith.. argh.. any rapidshare links or something?
Old 2007-09-01, 22:29   Link #478
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznbanana View Post
honestly, i hope there is some kind of continuation to this
Nope, none. What you saw is what you got. Drama CDs are done, anime is history, and Kawashita's going to start a new series in Jump soon.

There are more nails in this coffin than at a hardware store
Old 2007-10-06, 16:34   Link #479
smudboy

Just finished Ichigo 100%. My thoughts.

Ichigo 100%. What a beautiful story. I just finished the manga today.

Here are my thoughts:
Spoiler for Ichigo 100%:

Last edited by smudboy; 2007-10-07 at 08:13.
Old 2007-10-06, 22:18   Link #480
smudboy

I must say, I really liked the insight Mughi and Pengu had about this series with all your details. Great analysis guys!

I've been randomly reading the last chapter, and I still feel there's a lot left unsaid between these characters.
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, perverted, romance, shounen