AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-26, 00:52   Link #1401
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I just think it was way too reactive... not that it could have or should have gone any differently, just that it was a 'live and learn' experience. I don't question her heart was in it; but had she succeeded I think the triangle would look a lot different than it does now.
Most likely, yeah. Probably Sheryl and Alto would have been a real item when they would have gotten back from Gallia IV. How then Graces revelation would have played out on their relationship dynamic is anyones guess, although I think Sheryl would have actively pushed Alto towards Ranka, because she wouldn´t want him to experience the pain of seeing her die.
Old 2008-08-26, 21:12   Link #1402
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuniiChan View Post
Are people still making excuses for Ranka? If so, then we all need to forgive Shinji Ikari no matter how many times NGE is born again. Every mistake Shinji has made or will be making in the future should be forgivin. If Ranka can be forgivin or be excused then so can Shinji who is 14 years old mind you so he is more of a kid than Ranka is.
Hey, at least Shinji had the excuse of having an overbearing father and never experiencing any sort of paternal love or maternal love/encouragement in his life.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2008-08-26, 21:16   Link #1403
Westlo
Lets be reality

hey ranka has bad memories too!! oh wait she can't remember them...
Old 2008-08-27, 02:17   Link #1404
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Nothing is ever that clear cut, stray.

It's difficult to talk about "accuracy" with regards to a story, since many of the things that we call "facts" are often just a matter of concensus. Most of our discussions boil down to differences in interpretation.

The story presents us with some dialogue and some facial expressions, but it's ultimately up to us to weave those two together in a way that forms a consistant picture of the characters. Everyone is wearing goggles, and everyone has their own tint. You can either embrace this and try to understand how you filter what you see, or you can deny it and try to convince yourself that your tint is clear. People who try to be "unbiased" end up just as biased as everyone else.

You can't discuss "strengths" and "weaknesses" without first passing judgement on a character. It's easy enough for me to come up with a long list of Sheryl's "flaws"; yet at the same time, these are all qualities for which I love her character. The reason for this is because I find something that I can enjoy about them, rather than condemning her based on these traits.

I think it's more valuable to be able to understand why you consider certain traits to be strengths and others to be weaknesses. If you can't even dissect your own feelings, how can you dissect the feelings of the characters?

And yes, this is propaganda.

Ganbatte Sheryl!
I know this is a few days old but I just got to it finally. Yet another great post.

BTW I was against Sheryl, neutral Alto and for Ranka initially. I've always loved Sheryl's singing just not the character as much. As the series progressed by feelings for Sheryl improved to liking the character pretty well, I ended up hating Alto and while I have hope that Ranka might wake up, I'm not holding my breath. Feelings for characters change over time if the writing is good and I can safely say that Macross F has been excellent.
Old 2008-08-28, 20:23   Link #1405
Lostdreams

It would be so sad if Mikhail's last wish for Alto and Sheryl to be together fails.
To the b11sh who said this post was bs, I would like to say that before Mikhail died, he wished for Sheryl and Alto to be together. He was pushing them to talk, and etc. So gtfo b11sh I actually watch this show not like you

Last edited by Lostdreams; 2008-08-28 at 20:35.
Old 2008-08-28, 22:01   Link #1406
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
It would be so sad if Mikhail's last wish for Alto and Sheryl to be together fails.
To the b11sh who said this post was bs, I would like to say that before Mikhail died, he wished for Sheryl and Alto to be together. He was pushing them to talk, and etc. So gtfo b11sh I actually watch this show not like you
No doubt. It would be disgusting and disgraceful to Michael's last wish if they don't end with Alto and Sheryl together.

I know that episode 21 was rather Ranka-focused, but I would have liked if Sheryl and Alto said at least something to each other before that midnight meeting with Ranka.
Old 2008-08-28, 23:09   Link #1407
rei_lied

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
No doubt. It would be disgusting and disgraceful to Michael's last wish if they don't end with Alto and Sheryl together.

I know that episode 21 was rather Ranka-focused, but I would have liked if Sheryl and Alto said at least something to each other before that midnight meeting with Ranka.
yeah, didn't Alto said "I'll definitely come back for you" before they parted? I'm really expecting that after all the chaos, Alto will search for Sheryl and be shocked that she's famous again...
Old 2008-08-29, 07:03   Link #1408
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

From last combat stuff till the day of the funeral, it's implied from the cleanup and time it would take to gather bodies up that it was at least a day if not longer. In that time it's not hard to assume that Alto saw Sheryl again at least once.
Old 2008-08-29, 19:31   Link #1409
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
From last combat stuff till the day of the funeral, it's implied from the cleanup and time it would take to gather bodies up that it was at least a day if not longer. In that time it's not hard to assume that Alto saw Sheryl again at least once.
Not hard, yes, but unless a character brings it up and it's shown on screen, the audience can only assume it didn't happen at all.
Old 2008-08-29, 19:38   Link #1410
Westlo
Lets be reality

The last scene of Sheryl when she saw Ranka leaving in Brera's Vf-27 shows that she's at Saotome mansion, next episode previews show the same and Alto being there as well.
Old 2008-08-30, 04:05   Link #1411
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
The last scene of Sheryl when she saw Ranka leaving in Brera's Vf-27 shows that she's at Saotome mansion, next episode previews show the same and Alto being there as well.
Spoiler:
Old 2008-09-01, 10:21   Link #1412
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
Spoiler:
Are you serious?????
if it's true i really happy

just finished watching episode 16-18
i'm late because of most of it about Ranka (but tomorrow i will catch up)
so sad with Sheryl in episode 18 she's so down i understand what she felt when she was see Ranka so popular and saw her poster in a street
and Ranka she's so egoistic how can after she's so popular don't find Sheryl and give Sheryl strength (like before Ranka being a singer Sheryl convinced her that she can be a singer but now..... gosh! i hate her!! "sorry for Ranka fans")

PS: Shery on stage!!!!!
Old 2008-09-01, 11:03   Link #1413
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by kira-sama View Post
Are you serious?????
if it's true i really happy

just finished watching episode 16-18
i'm late because of most of it about Ranka (but tomorrow i will catch up)
so sad with Sheryl in episode 18 she's so down i understand what she felt when she was see Ranka so popular and saw her poster in a street
and Ranka she's so egoistic how can after she's so popular don't find Sheryl and give Sheryl strength (like before Ranka being a singer Sheryl convinced her that she can be a singer but now..... gosh! i hate her!! "sorry for Ranka fans")

PS: Shery on stage!!!!!
Yes, says the spoilers (check the speculation thread). And if I can have my wish, I'd like to see Alto wearing an apron while he cooks, lol. XD

In Star Date, there was this scene where Alto lets go of his number 4567098769895890878th paper lane. For me, the symbolism was just amazing, because before Alto lets go of the paper plane, he asks Klan (who was also there), "Why is she so driven?" (referring to a Sheryl writing new lyrics for a song). Then he asks some more, "Why do people want to fly, or sing?"

Sheryl then comes up says, "As if we can do anything else." Klan agrees and so does Alto who said, "That's right, because I'm meant to fly", and then he lets go of the paper plane.

The paper plane, right on cue, is seen by Ranka, who in turn finds reason/inspiration to sing.

I know I'm gonna get smothered by those who'd rather think that Sheryl-keeps-blocking-Ranka's-path when I say, Sheryl has been one of the most supportive and stable characters around. Sure, she might've broken down in 18 due to illness/Grace/exhaustion/other factors but don't worry, our Queen will definitely make a come back and I'm sure you'll love how she does so in ep 20!
Old 2008-09-01, 11:04   Link #1414
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

kira-sama you are now entering the danger zone. Episode 19 - 21. Watch them back to back. Feel the Dark Side.
Old 2008-09-01, 11:16   Link #1415
kira-sama

thanks forgottendiary
if i'm not wrong episode 20 she starting to sing again right???
just can't be patient to watch episode 22 "Northren Cross" ^_^

@kilroy0097
gosh!!! danger zone?!?!?! i'm ready to watch it
Old 2008-09-01, 11:45   Link #1416
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
thanks forgottendiary
if i'm not wrong episode 20 she starting to sing again right???
just can't be patient to watch episode 22 "Northren Cross" ^_^
Yep, she sings again in ep20. I watched that particular sequence 3 or 4 times and ended up bawling every time.
Old 2008-09-01, 11:51   Link #1417
kira-sama

hmm i will watch it for how many times, just see...
Sheryl is back!!!!
Old 2008-09-01, 11:51   Link #1418
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Yeah you're in for a good treat kira, those eps made me finally switch my avatar pic over to something sheryl centric :3
Old 2008-09-01, 12:01   Link #1419
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
hmm i will watch it for how many times, just see...
Sheryl is back!!!!
Yea then they'll take her away in 21 again so I'm hoping for the best with 22 and 23.
Old 2008-09-03, 05:36   Link #1420
Westlo
Lets be reality

Keep your head up Sheryl.

Spoiler for 22 preview pic on website:
Closed Thread

Tags
characters