AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2012-04-27, 11:19   Link #1
james0246

[Manga] Naruto Chapter 584 Discussion

Welcome to the weekly manga chapter discussion thread. This thread is created early to discuss spoilers and speculation about the upcoming chapter as well as discussion of said chapter once it has been released.

As per the forums rules, please don't ask for or mention about where to download the (licensed) manga. Also remember not to post or link to any translations of the manga, since this is illegal as well. Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome) but please do not discuss scans, raws, translation groups, etc. Additionally, if you are posting someone else's synopsis (or their translation of a synopsis), then please provide credit were credit is due.

Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This stands for pictures and direct translations. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK as well if you want to illustrate your point but this is it.

---

It's a new week, so that means new Naruto spoilers...which are released early this week.

Quote:
-Kabuto's flashback continues.

-Orochimaru and Kabuto talk.

-Orochimaru tells Kabuto that Danzou is the one who asked Kabuto's Mother to kill him. Danzou also lied to Mother about what Kabuto currently looked like, and that is why she didn't recognize him (?)...

-Kabuto was targeted because he knew too much...

-Kabuto joins with Orochimaru. Oro-chan sends Kabuto off to help infiltrate Akatsuki (via Sasori).

-Skip to Oro-chan's death. Kabuto uses the liquified remains to experiment on himself...

-Flashback ends?
-More info as it is released...

Last edited by james0246; 2012-04-27 at 14:52.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 16:37   Link #2
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
There is a RAW out and a translation.

I have to say, Kishi is really testing his audience's patience with these flashbacks. We are not really learning anything new. Just some switching around of Kabuto's backstory like with Sasori. And some minor stuff like why Orochimaru wanted to create the Sound Village.

It just seems more like an exercise. Kabuto is going to die so we need his entire life history in the middle of a fight for his send-off. There had to be a better way to do this. It brings the manga to a screeching halt. I just hope this ends soon so we can get back to Naruto. I never thought I'd say that.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 17:17   Link #3
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulquiorra View Post
I have to say, Kishi is really testing his audience's patience with these flashbacks. We are not really learning anything new. Just some switching around of Kabuto's backstory like with Sasori. And some minor stuff like why Orochimaru wanted to create the Sound Village.
There would be no problem with this if Kabuto's character was built up properly and people would really care about his story. Flashbacks as this one always end up giving some depth to the story, these show us what is the real motivation of important characters like Nagato (he had his lengthy flashback). And given the huge impact Kabuto has on the story, with all the Edo Tensei stuff going on, he simply had to have a flashback where we learn what the hell he wanted to do. Then there are characters who didn't have a longer flashback when they died but they were really important characters, and they have their own stories told through the flashbacks of other characters. For example here we learned about the connection between Danzou and Orochimaru, we see some stuff about Sasori. Itachi's past is revealed in different flashbacks, even Kisame's flashback also about Itachi. You can either do things without flashbacks, by revealing information before the big battle, which takes away most of the mystery, or after the battle which then becomes boring, so Kishimoto places flashback inside battles to not spoil some stuff too early but also not tell it too late for people to care.
Ero-Senn1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 22:14   Link #4
Midnight Commander

Quote:
Its pretty funny that Kabuto's back-story was placed here to gain sympathy for his character, but it turns out that it has instead garnered resentment because of its placement in the story. Perhaps if his backstory has (or will) reveil new information relevent to the plot, it might have lessened some of the frustration; but it that looks doubtful at this point.

Quote:
I just hope this ends soon so we can get back to Naruto. I never thought I'd say that.
Perhaps it would make you feel better if you said "get back to tobi"? Thats pretty much the novelty of that fight to me; seeing what tobi is really capable of.
Midnight Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 01:21   Link #5
bonsobon

Quote:
Kabuto was more or less a blank slate before this so we are learning new things about him and his relationships with other people. They're just not the earth-shaking discoveries that we had hoped for but they are new nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Commando View Post
Its pretty funny that Kabuto's back-story was placed here to gain sympathy for his character, but it turns out that it has instead garnered resentment because of its placement in the story. Perhaps if his backstory has (or will) reveil new information relevent to the plot, it might have lessened some of the frustration; but it that looks doubtful at this point.
We don't know for sure that his backstory is supposed to gain him sympathy. It could just be an information dump and nothing more for all we know.
bonsobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 01:35   Link #6
james0246

Quote:
I think its simply the length of the backstory. I, personally, did not mind the previous 2 chapters of the backstory, but when you add the week long Golden Week break, as well as the new chapter, all of a sudden Kabuto's backstory has taken a month or more to tell. That is simply too long for a backstory that offers up very little in the way of story advancement, and only offers any real character advancement to a character we all know will be gone within 10 chapters.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 03:43   Link #7
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I think its simply the length of the backstory. I, personally, did not mind the previous 2 chapters of the backstory, but when you add the week long Golden Week break, as well as the new chapter, all of a sudden Kabuto's backstory has taken a month or more to tell. That is simply too long for a backstory that offers up very little in the way of story advancement, and only offers any real character advancement to a character we all know will be gone within 10 chapters.
I guess the author is buying time, he is already working on what's to come after Kabuto's stuff ends, so it will be really cool and interesting
We are near the ending of this war, so the ending should have very good quality of both story and battles. Well, that's me being an optimist
Old 2012-04-28, 05:55   Link #8
HasuMasu
*Artist

I would've been pissed off if Kabuto just died as he was before the flashbacks, so this is good.
Old 2012-04-28, 07:02   Link #9
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
that's precisely why i "resent" this flashback. it feels like a call for sympathy since the guy is about to die or at least assumed to die. it's a trademark that kubo is famous for (most manga-ka do that sort of thing though) and i don't like it that kishi seems to be following suit. the placement is not only awkward, it's ill-timed. kishi placed it during the height of some major fights that readers would no doubt prefer to read about.

it's a shame since kabuto's story is not that all uninteresting. i believe that it would have gotten more positive reaction if kishi had chosen to reveal this bit about his life earlier in the series. this type of sob story was already done before, nagato and sai's flashbacks are similar and they already succeeded in gaining some sympathy. kabuto's story only confirms how much of an asshole danzou really was. you're right, if perhaps kishi could offer us something new with this flashback then it wouldn't feel like a waste of time.
Old 2012-04-28, 08:34   Link #10
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

hmm... little boring but I like how Kishi told Kabuto's story so far.... it's little dramatic and sounds like a short and brief review...

c'mon... let's go back to the fight... xD
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 09:21   Link #11
sayde

I have to admit, I was hoping these flashbacks would hint towards some kind of nasty ulterior motive as to why he healed Hinata during the chuunin exams. Granted, that was always a longshot, but that possibility seems even more unlikely now that this is all coming to an end.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 09:38   Link #12
Ushio the Omega

Kabuto is the series longest running villian (introduced in chapter 39) and you all want him offed by FUCKING Itachi? seriously?
Ushio the Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 10:07   Link #13
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushio the Omega View Post
Kabuto is the series longest running villian (introduced in chapter 39) and you all want him offed by FUCKING Itachi? seriously?
Two completely unrelated things.

Longest running villain? Hmmm yea, kinda...but far from the best we've had so far. Hell Zabuza was the villain for just one arc and I still like him more...
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 10:17   Link #14
haegar
mangaviking

Another one. I am not happy.
All in all Kabuto is getting a more throughly worked out background than most other villain folks - one that in and for itself actually kinda works for me, I find Orochimaru's part in things quite convincing for one.
All the more sader to me as, as posted on previous chapters, I would have prefered to have at least one villain without the emotional baggage. There's a couple of folks back in the story where some more background development would have been nice and we didnt get it. Now here of all places he takes the time for it.
I cannot complain anymore that the backstory is abyssaly bad/cliched, it kinda fits the general gist of Naruto-Villains pasts and as I said it's not written badly, comparatively speaking.

I just didn't and still don't want this style backstory for this particular character, least of all at this point in time.

Last words on chapter:

NEXT; PLEASE !!!

TOBI? YOUR TURN
Old 2012-04-28, 11:17   Link #15
octaviahawk
Wingedmercury

I guess I'm the only one who has actually become interested by the flashbacks. Ever since Orochimaru entered, I've been intrigued; and the bit about Root having Kabuto and his mother kill each other? Epic.

I also liked the various pictures of the different sound shinobi, including Karin (who decidedly does not look happy, looks like Orochimaru has been biting her, ick) Jugo and Kimimaro, etc. It's the empire of fucked-up-edness, birthed by Danzo and Root, which is ultimately the reason why this war is happening--the secret service brought this on by its violent and downright evil policies.

Well, that, and Orochimaru is out of his mind...
Old 2012-04-28, 11:25   Link #16
Aqua Knight

Anything connected with Oro in Naruto after he passed away(or not) is good.
Old 2012-04-28, 12:12   Link #17
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaviahawk View Post
I guess I'm the only one who has actually become interested by the flashbacks.
I think many of us are interested, we just complain about Kabuto's character not being built up properly for what is happening now. Also the main reason for not being too much interested in Kabuto is that we have two epic battles going on these were interrupted and we now have to wait about a month to get back to those battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaviahawk View Post
the secret service brought this on by its violent and downright evil policies.
Now that you mention "secret service": one good example of evil practices of secret services backfiring is the CIA training Osama Bin Laden against the soviets in afganistan, this guy made sure that the USA learns his name, he found his true self by doing so
Old 2012-04-28, 12:22   Link #18
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

did kabuto put oro's body into the "fruit stirring machine" and squeeze all the blood lol

kabuto's flashback wasnt back at all but i am more interested in how oro get his snake ability since childhood.
Old 2012-04-28, 13:04   Link #19
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
i am more interested in how oro get his snake ability since childhood.
He fermented a bottle of wine with a venomous white snake in it, and then drank it. At least that's my version, since I don't think Kishimoto would go any further than "experiments".

I'm liking these chapters, Orochimaru was very straightforward with Kabuto, and although the latter followed him, it's easy to see just how evil they both are. Not making Kabuto a tragic hero of the past was a good move imo
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 13:41   Link #20
Eragon
Still Alive

I think two chapters were enough to spend on Kabuto's past. As I feared it is more or less a revenge story, just in a roundabout manner. Well, I just hope this was the last one. Kishi really needs to get back to the other two fights.

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion