AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-14, 14:12   Link #81
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
The brothers are 14/15 respectively. Many years isn't very long.

Besides, the episode pretty much all but flat out said that Kakeru has literally wasted like 2 years of his life (since the incident happened when he was 12 ) playing casual 'shadow football' at night and nothing else. Plus the trauma.

While his brother's leading U-15 Japan at the international level.
I don't know in Japan how it works, but here in my country I'd say 12/13 yo is quite enough to say if you are good or not, either in Kakeru's case or even more in Suguru's case being such a good player. In the latter it is not something he could have achieved in the mere last 2 years. So he was really good from before. But I don't want to convince anyone here Plus it is fictional so, who knows? I have to watch the 2nd episode yet, so it could be that he (Kakeru) is not good at all.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 15:43   Link #82
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
wow didn't expect such an ending for episode 2. Kinda reminds of the Cross Game episode 2 or 3 where one of the sisters died. When watching episode 1, and it said this is the last time he played with his brother, I thought that he was going to play for another team or something. If his brother really dies then the plot kinda like Cross Game.
It's sad that most people only watched Cross Game. Go watch Touch, it's much more similar.

Anyway, also wasn't expecting it to happen so soon, it is still very sad.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 21:04   Link #83
Arya

Good episode. Even if it was sad, but expected. Cute the brother to not saying to Nana which is the real anatomical part Kakeru is missing (j/k)
Anyways
Spoiler for spoiler/speculations:

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 22:55   Link #84
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
anyone notice that the alien mask person pointed at Kakeru which made him think back about what his brother said. That means the mask person could only be two people, his brother or seven. His brother's reaction when Kakeru went back home narrows it down to one person.
Old 2012-01-14, 23:44   Link #85
peachfuzz

never read the Manga but Anime version looks Awesome the end of Ep. 2 was An roller coaster during ending
peachfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 23:54   Link #86
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
It's sad that most people only watched Cross Game. Go watch Touch, it's much more similar.
Can't exactly blame them. Touch is old a classic, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
Anyway, also wasn't expecting it to happen so soon, it is still very sad.
The manga content that was cut to make the event happen so soon wasn't too bad. I guess they plan to seriously amp up the... emotions going into the next episode.

I'm just a wee bit worried they may overplay that factor.

Spoiler for manga:

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 01:56   Link #87
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Spoiler for Episode 2- Knight in the Area:

Looking at how the episode set itself up, I guess it wanted that last scene to be a cliffhanger. I will reserve judgement on how they handle this latest development when the next episode comes. I am looking forward to seeing how this impacts(no pun intended) Kakeru's relationship with Seven. I also hope that Kakeru doesn't suddenly undergo a 180 in his views on a few things, I'd rather see things gradually change with him.

I give this episode a 8/10, mostly because I really like Kakeru and Seven, and I am interested to seeing what happens next.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 05:46   Link #88
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

hmm didn't exactly have the same impact as the manga.
Old 2012-01-15, 07:18   Link #89
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
hmm didn't exactly have the same impact as the manga.
My main hope for this anime is that it sparks extra scanlation interest, or at least... acceleration of scanlation speed.

The scanlation's 17 volumes behind, and with Area no Kishi... the developments can be a little bit slow.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2012-01-15, 08:02   Link #90
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
Meh, dont like how they changed that scene from the manga.
Otani-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 12:56   Link #91
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Yeah the story reminds me the old Touch with the twin brothers , nostalgia.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 14:29   Link #92
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I did read the manga chapter today, just for comparison's sake. I agree the way the scene is presented in the manga is somewhat more jarring, but TBH I'm surprised to see so many people as offended as they are by the change. I think the anime chose to go with a little more of a suspense approach - dropping small visual clues that something was coming, while the manga chose to give the characters a chance to react "on camera". I can see liking the manga version better, but I don't see it as a deal-breaker.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 15:21   Link #93
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

Just wondering would a following scene be too bloody for the current timeslot?

Spoiler:
Old 2012-01-15, 15:33   Link #94
king12354

I don't quite remember what happened exactly in the manga but it didn't seem too different. I don't see it as a point of criticism, however I thought that the last scene could have had more impact.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 16:07   Link #95
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
I don't quite remember what happened exactly in the manga but it didn't seem too different. I don't see it as a point of criticism, however I thought that the last scene could have had more impact.
Spoiler for manga version:
Old 2012-01-15, 17:07   Link #96
Slick_rick

The problem I find with the anime change is it seems like Kakeru froze when the truck was coming for him. His brother who wasn't even looking in the direction of the truck was able to see and react to it while he stood there staring at it. Even how the scenes connect right before the accident happens seem disjointed in the anime.

The scene really stuck out as an unnecessary change and damaging to Kakeru's character. Personally I think he is looked down upon enough in the manga to begin with by the other characters so the anime adding more scenes for that purpose seems overkill to me. It's one thing to accuse him of lacking heart but now also seems they want to come out with the more blatant accusation that he's a coward.
Old 2012-01-15, 18:16   Link #97
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I didn't read that into the situation at all. I think it's a bit of a stretch, frankly.
Old 2012-01-15, 19:12   Link #98
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I didn't read that into the situation at all. I think it's a bit of a stretch, frankly.
In what way? I don't believe I stretch logic in anyway actually. Now there is room for different interpretations but I think a change here definitely has an effect on the narrative of the story.

They probably just wanted to make Kakeru's brother more of a hero in the situation but by doing that it also affects Kakeru's character. We have to ask ourselves what it says about his character that he was unable to react to the truck himself. It is now much easier and a way justifiable to blame Kakeru for hesitation which wasn't possible in the manga even though some might not choice to blame him even now. It at least opens up that kind of interpretation.

A change like this to an important scene shouldn't be made haphazardly because of the opening up of a litany of different interpretations from the original. It can affect the entire story and how we view the characters though out it. It might not effect everyone interpretation in the same way or to the same extent but I think it does affect every interpretation in some way.
Old 2012-01-15, 19:18   Link #99
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

For me it's a stretch to say that scene made Kakeru look like a coward. I just don't think it was intended to portray that, and I don't think it will come off that way for most people - maybe I'm wrong. While the details of the scene and the impact are different from the manga, I don't think Kakeru comes off any worse. I think it was just done to give Suguru a chance to go out in a little more of a heroic fashion.
Old 2012-01-15, 19:26   Link #100
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I think it's all a matter of interpretation here.

Personally, I won't say that Kakeru felt more like a coward in this anime... It's pretty much the same in the manga as well. Kakeru felt a lot more animated ( pun intended ), which adds to that, but I don't think there were any significant 'make him more of a wuss' effect.

Heck, even the accident scene. The one thing that bothered me the most of the accident was the fact that I felt the 'on-bike' conversation to be a lot, lot more natural than how the anime portrayed it. The accident could've been done better, but I felt like it was more of a case of how abrupt the transition was. As for the censorship of the scene where...
Spoiler:
... It can't be helped.

To me, I'll reserve my judgement until the next episode to really see where they go with the slightly different angle of approach to the coming events. Sure, it is possible that they may 'wuss it up' and throw in the extra drama and angst, but maybe it's not.

Tags
shounen, sports