AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-03-25, 09:53   Link #1
DawnEmperor

John Kricfalusi

The creator of Ren and Stimpy, a fan of Golden-Age animation such as Looney Tunes. Has a blog. Perhaps he's most well known for his vitriolic opinions on modern animation.

What do you guys think of him? On one hand, there's always going to be critics, and they nevertheless provide insight on how to improve. On the other hand, his opinions seem to rely on a strict standard(like the level of "cartooniness), and to be honest he often comes off as intolerant(and that's putting it nicely). I don't doubt that he's knowledgeable, but...
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 15:03   Link #2
solomon

I read his blog for about 2 years before I just "meh'ed" out.

Mixed opinon.

On the one hand, John K. is REALLY FRIGGIN SMART about cartoon creation, the history and analysis of the craft of some of America's classic cartoons. Some of his posts are VERY enlightening on technique and how to in many respects. This is not just on animation, but comics, illustration, art in general. He also points out a lot of old artists that are good to learn from for technique that you probably wouldn't have known about otherwise. There are a lot of great tips and tutorials to be gleamed from his blog and work. Stuff that you could apply to most any sort of work in my opinion.

Say what you want about Ren and Stimpy, but that thing was METICULOUSLY crafted for a domestic TV show, I appreciate that after reading his blog.

On the other hand, John K. is basically a "Cartoony cartoons or the highway" kinda guy. He doesn't really care for much of anything that isn't in the vein of Golden Age comedy shorts. Naturally everything that was done before the war in America is golden, everything else SUXXXXX (he sometimes goes WAYYY off the cartoon mark and starts talking about broader culture, making himself sound MUCH less cool). So yea, he don't like "dem dere animus." He also comes off as real shrill and sanctimonious a lot of times, not giving cartoons that fall out of his preferred style ANY props. He REALLY pumps him and his cohorts up and lays into some people really harshly. Basically if you aren't making Bugs Bunny style surreal wacky comedy shorts, then "WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING ANIMATION" is his mantra.

I say read, but read with caution, and don't rely on him as a bible for cartoon making. There is some INTEGRAL information to be gleamed there, but you have to deal with a LOT of editorializing and self aggrandizing to get to it.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 17:26   Link #3
sa547
*Author

If that he sounds like that, then he's a very closed-minded old coot who has the rose-tinted glasses on permanently (does that kind of guy ring a bell?).
Old 2012-03-25, 19:17   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've always thought of him as an erratically brilliant jackass ... kind of like Shinobu

I think the early Ren&Stimpy were batshit doped hilarious and then that was his idea. After that, not so much.
Old 2012-03-26, 06:15   Link #5
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
vitriolic opinions
Summarize these vitriolic opinions please.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
john k animation critic