AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-16, 16:01   Link #1261
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Indeed, though it would be nice to have an eventual end. Or even some post end stories detailing what everyone ends up doing.
The end of the SAO arc, or the end of the series? When I said Kawahara can keep writing as many volumes as he likes, I was referring to the SAO arc.

As for the end of the series? It already has an ending, so I can't see it happening, unless he plans on changing the ending.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 16:17   Link #1262
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
The end of the SAO arc, or the end of the series? When I said Kawahara can keep writing as many volumes as he likes, I was referring to the SAO arc.

As for the end of the series? It already has an ending, so I can't see it happening, unless he plans on changing the ending.
End of the series. Indeed, the whole two years and all those floors leaves a whole mess of stories that could be told, and not necessarily with Kirito as the main. I wouldn't mind a bunch of stories detailing Klein's adventures for instance (I don't believe that's detailed in any later volumes, right?).

I know the web version had one, but since he is apparently changing things with the most recent volume, it wouldn't be out of the question for him to change things. But then, I don't know how well the ending finished things.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 16:21   Link #1263
Random Wanderer

I'm just finishing up volume 4.

This... is too much. He had already done the impossible once, overcoming death in the SAO system to save her, and set everyone free. When that didn't free her, he went back in and did it again, fighting battles that could not be won, overcoming the game system itself to get her out. I hope the rest of the girls keep on respecting Asuna's claim, because there is no room in either of their hearts to love anyone else the way they love each other.

However, the author should be ashamed of himself for writing all those other girls into a hopeless harem situation.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 16:27   Link #1264
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
End of the series. Indeed, the whole two years and all those floors leaves a whole mess of stories that could be told, and not necessarily with Kirito as the main. I wouldn't mind a bunch of stories detailing Klein's adventures for instance (I don't believe that's detailed in any later volumes, right?).

I know the web version had one, but since he is apparently changing things with the most recent volume, it wouldn't be out of the question for him to change things. But then, I don't know how well the ending finished things.
Oh! That's a great idea; I'd love to hear about some of Klein's adventures and exploits.

I don't think he's changing anything; last I heard, he was adding material to explain and expand on some things/events (volume 10). So I think he's going to keep the ending more or less the same (I know how it ends, but not in great detail), but just expand on some things that he felt could use some explaining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
However, the author should be ashamed of himself for writing all those other girls into a hopeless harem situation.
Have you read the author's notes section for each volume? I think there was something about that in one of the volume's author's notes.
Old 2012-07-16, 16:33   Link #1265
DurararaFTW

Quote:

This... is too much. He had already done the impossible once, overcoming death in the SAO system to save her, and set everyone free. When that didn't free her, he went back in and did it again, fighting battles that could not be won, overcoming the game system itself to get her out. I hope the rest of the girls keep on respecting Asuna's claim, because there is no room in either of their hearts to love anyone else the way they love each other.

Yeah, I've read my fair share of haremseries but I don't think I've ever felt as bad for the losers as for this poor bunch. Guess the romance must be done well then.
DurararaFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 16:33   Link #1266
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I'd love to hear his thoughts about Kirito's "betrayal", and various things that happened after.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 17:11   Link #1267
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'd love to hear his thoughts about Kirito's "betrayal", and various things that happened after.
What betrayal are you talking about? The one after the 'real' introduction of SAO or the one in Red-nosed Reindeer? Either way, Klein doesn't seem to resent Kirito on the 74th floor, he was even worried about Kirito (his dialogue after the boss was killed).
Old 2012-07-16, 17:31   Link #1268
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
I hope the rest of the girls keep on respecting Asuna's claim, because there is no room in either of their hearts to love anyone else the way they love each other.

Most of the ones I've seen thus far seem like they would respect that and it's been pretty clear that he loves Asuna above all others. Which is rather heartwarming to watch honestly.

Maybe he just felt he needed to? Because there really wasn't any of that in the first novel. But really, none of the other girls have much in the way of negative qualities and such so it's hard not to feel a little bad for them.

Quote:
Oh! That's a great idea; I'd love to hear about some of Klein's adventures and exploits.

I don't think he's changing anything; last I heard, he was adding material to explain and expand on some things/events (volume 10). So I think he's going to keep the ending more or less the same (I know how it ends, but not in great detail), but just expand on some things that he felt could use some explaining?
I feel there's a lot you could do with stories from his perspective from getting started, to developing his guild and all that.

Oh, alright then. I'd heard some thoughts that he might be making greater changes to the storyline. Nothing wrong with that as in general it can improve the story I'd think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah, hearing his exact thoughts about that and other matters would be quite interesting.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 18:06   Link #1269
novalysis

Quote:

To me, it's because once these girls put themselves into a position in Kirito's mind that was analogous to the one held by Sachi, that's where they effectively lost any chance of Kirito seeing them in the same way he regards Asuna - at best, all these girls could probably have hoped for was for Kirito to love them as he does his Sister/Cousin.

Anyway, you should read "There is but one Ultimate way." It's a non-canonical apology of sorts for writing all those poor girls into the Friend- or Imouto-zone. And if we were to take the joke of the uncannonical Kirito Unrequited Love Alliance seriously, it is implied that all of those other girls know it, and are working in the background to prevent Asuna's claim from receiving more challengers, if possible. It also helps that Asuna is friends with all of them- indeed, the center of that circle of friends.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 19:28   Link #1270
tomtkp

Quote:
What do you mean by "part-canon"? SAO: Progressive will be part of the Blu-ray special? Where'd you hear that? Because, honestly, it sounds too good to be true..
Quote:
BD&DVD特典の『SAOプログレッシブ』は仮題でありまして、一層二層攻略編とはまったく別の内容とな ります! たぶんタイトルも変わります! よろしくお願いします!!!
Kawahara-sensei had spoken in his Twitter page that the Blu-ray special of Progressive is completely different from the Progressive Volume 1 that will be released soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algester View Post
well here are some problems with the Light Novel, first we do know that originally SAO was a web novel in fact it was supposed to be a Light Novel entry for Dengeki... but Reki just happens to exceeded the page count with a substantial margin and thats just SAO, ALO,GGO and Underworld were not written in this point in time during the Dengeki contest, so Reki decided to just post SAO as a web novel while at the same time keep on writing what he thinks of the sequels to the story thus ALO and GGO arcs were made, however the Underworld arc is up for debate as the Alicization Arc was meant to be a stand alone story independent of the events of ALO and GGO, however the re-occuring characters for the Underworld arc are still Kirito and Asuna, so this is where the material editions come in to play as these stories are basically what got lopped off from the published novels or else each volume could be as thick as a kyoukaisen volume and Dengeki may not have that much of a budget to publish one door stopper so they adivsed Reki to cut off some things from the original web novels so that it can be printed and published. So in a way until Dengeki decides for Reki to re-edit SAO (which he is willing to) then that is the only time when we can really see the true canon in SAO arc, which I got news of that SAO:Progressive (re-written SAO in part canon) will be part of the Blu-ray special
Independent? Meh, I don't think so. For me, Alicization arc is still the continuation of the first three arcs.
Old 2012-07-16, 19:40   Link #1271
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtkp View Post
Kawahara-sensei had spoken in his Twitter page that the Blu-ray special of Progressive is completely different from the Progressive Volume 1 that will be released soon.
Oh, thanks for clearing that up! I'm guessing it's going to adapt a scene or two from Progressive Volume 1? Or maybe it's something completely original that has no relation to the soon-to-be released novel?

Quote:
Independent? Meh, I don't think so. For me, Alicization arc is still the continuation of the first three arcs.
Even if I haven't read it myself, I agree, as there's no reason for me to believe it's independent..
Old 2012-07-16, 20:12   Link #1272
flack

Hi, Just wondering (since I read up to the end of chapter 4, where the girl got rescued and everything seems settled) is the later volumes namely volumes 5 and on still centered around the same main character? Does the story get more interesting or is the author just dragging on with the same characters and adding pointless stories?
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 20:16   Link #1273
tomtkp

Quote:
Oh, thanks for clearing that up! I'm guessing it's going to adapt a scene or two from Progressive Volume 1? Or maybe it's something completely original that has no relation to the soon-to-be released novel?
Nobody knows what the Blu-ray special of Progressive will be (except Kawahara himself). I am speculating that it will be a short story relating to the Progressive series. Maybe it will be related to Volume 1 though but certainly not a portion or scenes from Volume 1 itself.

EDIT:
Quote:
Hi, Just wondering (since I read up to the end of chapter 4, where the girl got rescued and everything seems settled) is the later volumes namely volumes 5 and on still centered around the same main character? Does the story get more interesting or is the author just dragging on with the same characters and adding pointless stories?
Read on to judge for yourself whether the stories are pointless. In my opinion, the stories are not at all pointless.
Old 2012-07-16, 20:24   Link #1274
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Volumes 5-6 focus on mainly Kirito (the "same main character") and Sinon. Volume 7 is definitely one of the better arcs. So yes, it varies from person to person, but I'd say the story gets more interesting. Volume 8 is a collection of (good) side stories, and volume 9 onwards is the Alicization arc, which is supposedly the best arc in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtkp View Post
Nobody knows what the Blu-ray special of Progressive will be (except Kawahara himself). I am speculating that it will be a short story relating to the Progressive series. Maybe it will be related to Volume 1 though but certainly not a portion or scenes from Volume 1 itself.
Heh, I imagine so. And yep, that makes sense. Some extra Kirito x Asuna cuteness or side stories that focus on Klein surely wouldn't hurt.
Old 2012-07-16, 20:43   Link #1275
Random Wanderer

Is there a reason why Baka-Tsuki's translation of volume 6 starts at chapter 7 rather than chapter 1? I don't want to miss content when I'm reading this.
Old 2012-07-16, 20:50   Link #1276
astray71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
Thats and I want to know too.
And how is his relationship with his family .
I mean he bought the Nevrvgear or whatever that led his sister to end up being trap in a death game for 2 years.
Dude! Where'd you get your signature? Is that from the preview of the anime? Because Asuna's got her KoB uniform on.

Quote:
Is there a reason why Baka-Tsuki's translation of volume 6 starts at chapter 7 rather than chapter 1? I don't want to miss content when I'm reading this.
Because Volume 6 is a continuation of Volume 5 so it's starting where Volume 5 left off.

Also, if you look on wikipedia, it says that Sword Art Online anime will have 42 episodes. This makes me very happy, but if that's so, they should have split Episode 2 of the anime into 2 separate episodes, though it's also fine that they didn't.

Also, about the Light Novel, besides the short stories, does Argo ever appear again? I don't recall reading about her in any of the volumes (currently finishing Volume 8).
astray71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 20:50   Link #1277
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
vol 5 contains 1-6.

the arcs are
1-2 SAO
3-4 ALO
5-6 GGO
7 - ALO side story
8 - SAO side stories
9 - Alicization
Old 2012-07-16, 20:53   Link #1278
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astray71 View Post
Because Volume 6 is a continuation of Volume 5 so it's starting where Volume 5 left off.
...But volume 5 has a chapter 7 too... It ends with chapter 7, and volume 6 starts with chapter 7. And they're different chapter 7s, as far as I can tell from a quick glance.
Old 2012-07-16, 20:56   Link #1279
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
...But volume 5 has a chapter 7 too... It ends with chapter 7, and volume 6 starts with chapter 7. And they're different chapter 7s, as far as I can tell from a quick glance.
someone probably mislabel the chapters,
Old 2012-07-16, 21:00   Link #1280
Random Wanderer

Hmm... well, as long as everything important is still there, that's fine. I was just worried that six chapters worth of story were missing.

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality