AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2012-11-02, 11:30   Link #1
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Manga & LN board bloating issue

I've come to notice how active Manga & LN subforum has gotten in the recent months.
It's to the point where weekly discussions of manga, despite being fairly active, can get pushed back six~seven pages in matter of few days.

It's basically a cluster of mess now, due to the abundance of subject.

And I can only see it getting worse as the English speaking manga and Light novels communities grow.

I propose a separate forum board for at least Manga and LN, and perhaps subforums for manga under "weekly" and "monthly & others (bi-weekly, quarterly, non-serialized, etc)".
(shounen/shoujo/seinen would cause a lot of confusion based on some magazines having indistinct/unpublicized demographics, as well as many people not knowing what their favorite manga are classified under)
Old 2012-11-02, 12:27   Link #2
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

This is something we've noticed and discussed on and off for a while now. We're still debating, obviously. The section has definitely grown, but we're also conflicted about how much we want to encourage that. That's not meant to be a cut against the community and their interests, but rather it's a bigger question about how the board has grown and changed over the years. The initial focus of the forums has always been anime oriented and that is where our roots lie, and as we've said before we're not really trying to be everything for everyone. Regardless, it is getting a bit cramped in there.

We're always open to feedback and suggestions, but it'll be a while before we make any official policy.
Old 2012-11-02, 20:41   Link #3
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Should we go for a similar layout as in the anime forums (Current Series and Older Series, with a sticky thread on new manga and light announcements) or simply segregate manga with light novel series?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-02, 20:53   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I thought about "Current" and "Older", but if the problem is that there are too many threads being actively discussed (so things are getting buried too quickly), then just moving the older series out won't help much; it would just prevent them from being thrown back into the rotation every once in a while. With anime there are only a certain number of shows airing at a given time, but that number is way larger when you consider manga and light novels.
Old 2012-11-03, 08:30   Link #5
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Maybe as a short-term compromise measure you could split manga and light novels into two separate boards? The split should at least help the situation a little bit.
Old 2012-11-03, 18:24   Link #6
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Do note that the irregularity of scanlations and even official English releases (sigh) mean that you can't really use the Current - Older series system like for anime with its relatively regular fansubbing and streaming schedules. Things will get really confusing fast, especially for the moderators.

I agree with other people though: splitting manga and LN is a very good start. Not only because of the bloat, but also because there is always a bit of confusion with manga and LN threads coexisting in the same subforum; spoiler crossovers, etc., which will only grow as the LN community grows. Splitting them up will encourage a much better segmentation of discussion which will also probably help out with your moderation a bit.

If the problem persists, aohige's suggestion to split weekly and other manga is a good suggestion. There is a clear understanding -- the categories leave little room for confusion -- and weekly manga naturally have more discussion, so the "everything else" section despite the larger number of manga/threads should have equal or even less activity. Another consideration is manhua, manwha, and webtoons, if further segmentation is required (something like "non-Japanese comics" section, which may serve an extra role as a good place to congregate the occasional interest in American comics which show up from time to time in the General Chat) -- but I get the feeling that you probably aren't willing to go that far just yet.

More personally, and don't take this as a suggestion or anything, I always found it difficult to keep up with conversation for manga series that have been adapted into anime which acquired their own subforums. I barely use the Hayate no Gotoku or TWGOK manga threads anymore because they're so "out of the way" for my browsing habits.

Of course, reversing that problem for me and putting them back into the Manga/LN forums would just exacerbate the bloat problem, so, uh, oh well?

Last edited by Irenicus; 2012-11-03 at 18:35.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 20:56   Link #7
larethian

I agree with the idea of splitting manga and light novels. The threads are getting pushed off the first and second pages too fast
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 16:37   Link #8
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

If the problem persists, aohige's suggestion to split weekly and other manga is a good suggestion. There is a clear understanding -- the categories leave little room for confusion -- and weekly manga naturally have more discussion, so the "everything else" section despite the larger number of manga/threads should have equal or even less activity. Another consideration is manhua, manwha, and webtoons, if further segmentation is required (something like "non-Japanese comics" section, which may serve an extra role as a good place to congregate the occasional interest in American comics which show up from time to time in the General Chat) -- but I get the feeling that you probably aren't willing to go that far just yet.
would berserk go under Annual Release?

you also need a Bi-Weekly section as well as weekly and monthly.
Old 2012-11-09, 16:49   Link #9
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
you also need a Bi-Weekly section as well as weekly and monthly.
Nah, just make it "weekly" and "everything else." Because, yes, Berserk.

It'll just naturally work out because weekly manga has more discussion anyway, so less thread but more activity.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 18:51   Link #10
Rahan

I'd go with :

Light & Visual Novels (I don't care about them, but It would kinda make sense to put them here)
Weekly Mangas
Bi-weekly & Monthly Mangas
Completed & on Hiatus Mangas (yes HOTD, lol HxH)
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 19:36   Link #11
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Somehow something tells me that encouraging people to subscribe to the threads they like will not be a feasible solution. Over the years I have found thread subscription to just naturally "click" with some posters and not click with others...

The only prob I can see atm from dividing the Manga section into d.o.r. based sections is that there may be lots of people out there who don't know about that, and it might result in the sort of confusion that would mean extra work for the mods - like deleting threads and the like - and that the learning curve for the community getting used to the divisions on a practical day-to-day might take longer than many might think.

The division of Manga and Light Novels, though, seems to me that it might work in a more timely way, and it could help some to reduce the problem of threads getting buried. Maybe it would be enough, maybe not. But it might be a good first step?
Old 2012-11-10, 09:57   Link #12
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I've noticed Light novels discussions have been slowly overtaking manga in the subforum. Splitting the two would definitely be a start, though it may not solve the problem entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
I'd go with :

Light & Visual Novels (I don't care about them, but It would kinda make sense to put them here)
Weekly Mangas
Bi-weekly & Monthly Mangas
Completed & on Hiatus Mangas (yes HOTD, lol HxH)
That's what I'd go for too, but it might be a little complicated to put in place.
Old 2012-11-10, 10:24   Link #13
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Manga and LN separation is the best way to do it. it cut the traffic by roughly 50% so i think that is more than enough.

Rahan & subforum way is bit to complicated IMO. what if the manga end but not the English translation.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 16:05   Link #14
Sumeragi
Banned

Manga and LN. Also, use the original format (as in either Manga or LN came first) as the division.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 10:03   Link #15
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Noticed the issue a few months back when I was searching for stuff and ended up on page 5 or something, and it was only a couple of days' difference. I agree with the Manga/LN split suggestion too; keeps things simple for a start.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 07:06   Link #16
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

I support the idea of a split between Manga and Light Novels as well. I think it's better organized that way, than the current mishmash of having all manga and LN threads together.
Old 2012-11-13, 07:48   Link #17
Westlo
Lets be reality

Out of the 200 newest threads only 29 are LN and another 3 are LN/Manga combined threads, may be off by a one or two (was skimming) but it's still very manga dominated. Still splitting LN and manga into separate forums is the way to go, I don't think it will fix the bloating issue, but it will certainly help and it's better to split LN+Manga threads... someone who follows LN raws is going to be way ahead of someone following manga adaptations...

Though I guess light novels are becoming more popular so it would also be "future-proofing", also someone suggesting splitting manga into current titles and past titles, wouldn't really work... I mean most of the stuff talked about is current stuff. There's no difference going to page 10 of 300 to find "Yamada and the Seven Witches" compared to going to page 10 of 250...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 22:01   Link #18
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Maybe as a short-term compromise measure you could split manga and light novels into two separate boards? The split should at least help the situation a little bit.
I agree with this, if you keep both of them bunched up together. LN and Manga audience will block out each other in a spam of messages that sends threads pages away in a matter of hours. If you separate them, then it will be easier to find where to discuss if you read manga/LNs.
Old 2012-11-13, 22:43   Link #19
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

LN/Manga split is definitely the first step to go I think. The biggest difficulty at the moment is that there are just so many "active" series (especially manga imo) being discussed with no clear way of categorizing them without getting ridiculously specific.
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 02:55   Link #20
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I also support the splitting between LN and manga. If moderators want an example, go to “Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai manga & light novel thread”. Information has been piling up between LN and manga. It’s like a Big Mac burger there, it makes me (a manga follower) pretty confused.