AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-29, 20:20   Link #1901
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Today I visited my Grandmother. We did not talk politics at all. However she was watching Bonanza in TV and the CD that was on in the car was of Johnny Cash. I realized something. Those "far-right religious wingnuts" morality was normal not all that long ago, and the morality and compassionate parts of it are still considered normal in most places around the country.

They are being presented with things they can find morally objectionable. Some take morality seriously. They see examples all thoughout the Bible of what happens to civilizations that become "immoral", and they don't want that to happen in America where Christianity is one form or another is still considered the majority viewpoint, even if it has no place in government.

So when the culture of the day has started to shift away from the Christian morality, they object. Partly because it is different, but also partly out of fear. Fear that God will smite the country even if they themselves are still loyal followers. They fear being "collateral damage" in God's retribution to the "sinners".

At least that's what I'm getting from the hard swing to "morality" religions types in politics.
Old 2012-10-29, 20:25   Link #1902
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Today I visited my Grandmother. We did not talk politics at all. However she was watching Bonanza in TV and the CD that was on in the car was of Johnny Cash. I realized something. Those "far-right religious wingnuts" morality was normal not all that long ago, and the morality and compassionate parts of it are still considered normal in most places around the country.

They are being presented with things they can find morally objectionable. Some take morality seriously. They see examples all thoughout the Bible of what happens to civilizations that become "immoral", and they don't want that to happen in America where Christianity is one form or another is still considered the majority viewpoint, even if it has no place in government.

So when the culture of the day has started to shift away from the Christian morality, they object. Partly because it is different, but also partly out of fear. Fear that God will smite the country even if they themselves are still loyal followers. They fear being "collateral damage" in God's retribution to the "sinners".

At least that's what I'm getting from the hard swing to "morality" religions types in politics.
I find it funny all the Abrahamic religion are all so fascinated with Armageddon, end of world, and retribution. Maybe we all should mass convert to something more peaceful, like Buddhism?
Old 2012-10-29, 20:35   Link #1903
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Pobably because they don't want to be reencarnated into a random creature. They like the idea of living forever in the next plane of existance (with possible return to Earth after the "end of all things".)
Old 2012-10-29, 21:03   Link #1904
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
I find it funny all the Abrahamic religion are all so fascinated with Armageddon, end of world, and retribution. Maybe we all should mass convert to something more peaceful, like Buddhism?
Buddhism conversion by the sword just doesn't play well in my head.

The superstorm of the moment may have a severe impact on voting but its anyone's guess which side might "benefit". Romney's anti-FEMA statement is likely not to play well. The reason we have FEMA is that poorer states can't handle emergencies on their own. Derp.
Old 2012-10-29, 23:48   Link #1905
Hachiko
The Akita

Bold prediction: Obama will win reelection by way of Kanade beating Eucliwood in the ISML Grand Final. You heard it first.
Old 2012-10-29, 23:52   Link #1906
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiko View Post
Bold prediction: Obama will win reelection by way of Kanade beating Eucliwood in the ISML Grand Final. You heard it first.
There are "journalists" using squirrels, squids, and other critters to predict the election, so why not the ISML Grand Final...
Old 2012-10-30, 00:18   Link #1907
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A friend who's voting Libertarian this year, sent me this quote say he thought of me.

Quote:
Liberal: Because militant fundamentalist xenophobic corporate oligarchy just wasn't working for me.
(says the Eisenhower & Teddy Roosevelt oriented Republican who'd like his party back but has pretty much thrown in the towel on it)
Old 2012-10-30, 08:21   Link #1908
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Could blueberry state Maine be a slice of Romney's presidential pie?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89T09C20121030
Quote:
With polls showing a dead heat nationally, Republicans in the state are focusing their phone calls and door-knocking efforts on the rural north of Maine -- one of two states that play by a different set of rules in presidential elections.

Most states give all of their electoral votes to the winner, but Maine and Nebraska award one electoral vote to the winners of each of their congressional districts, two in Maine and three in Nebraska.
Old 2012-10-30, 09:41   Link #1909
GundamFan0083

See now this is how I know the corporations own the US and basically their elections. It's also why I have no faith in the main stream media anymore.

NPR: 8-point swing puts Romney in front
http://washingtonexaminer.com/npr-8-...8#.UI_ZvcXA8TZ

I realize that is basically a dead heat in that poll...but it's NPR, not exactly known for being right-wing.

Also, it would appear that the early voting is swinging hard for Romney by a full 6-points.

In U.S., 15% of Registered Voters Have Already Cast Ballots
http://www.gallup.com/poll/158420/re...t-ballots.aspx
Old 2012-10-30, 12:56   Link #1910
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

If Romney wins, then he wins. The polls and predictions are just for fun, it still goes down to the EC. You vote for a reason you know.
Old 2012-10-30, 12:59   Link #1911
Mentar
Banned

Gallup has been ridiculously right-leaning throughout the entire time, outperforming even Rasmussen, with a really poor track record. I'd definitely not bet on them.

This here is the catch: "Samples are weighted by gender, age, race, Hispanic ethnicity, education, region, adults in the household, population density, and phone status (cell phone only/landline only/both, cell phone mostly, and having an unlisted landline number). "

Other pollsters have pointed out that this weighting was WAY off, oversampling Romney-friendly groups (particularly white voters).
Old 2012-10-30, 13:10   Link #1912
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

wow... It really looks like Romney is going to win this one...
wtf usa? u fo realz?
Old 2012-10-30, 13:21   Link #1913
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
wtf usa? u fo realz?
Don't worry, the U.S. is a system designed with regards to checks an balances. The entire system was designed from the ground up to limit the potential powers of one man .. It's seriously designed to make it so Presidents can't just do what they want. It's that whole history of fighting against authoritarian rulers thing..

Not to mention if you're afraid of Romney, based on the GOP conservative candidate gaffes, it looks like the Dems will continue to hold a majority in the senate..

That being said, I don't think Romney will be "crazy" nor will he impose strict conservative rule and destroy the economy, despite what the lowest denominator of his supports are.

PS: FYI, Associated Press still has Obama ahead by their count of the EC
Old 2012-10-30, 13:22   Link #1914
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
wtf usa? u fo realz?
Yep, they think that "recover" is taken too slow, so they want to speed it up or just want Obama out of office.

I am just going to leave this little nugget of truth "Be very careful of what you wish for, because it might not be what you want".
Old 2012-10-30, 13:25   Link #1915
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I'll be actually very surprised if Obama loses.
Old 2012-10-30, 13:27   Link #1916
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
That being said, I don't think Romney will be "crazy" nor will he impose strict conservative rule and destroy the economy, despite what the lowest denominator of his supports are.
I don't trust Romney for the post but what I fear more is a GOP with one of their member as president. There was GOP candidate than were way worse than Romney ( Santorum, Cain, Bachmann to name few) but he is still the candidate of a party than put the US in such dissastrous position and than want to continue the same way.
Old 2012-10-30, 13:42   Link #1917
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
But Romney has no personal plans, so what made you think he wouldn't just follow the orders of those who voted for him?

You can't suddenly assume he has any convictions at all when he hasn't shown any in the last few years.
Old 2012-10-30, 13:47   Link #1918
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

I watched bits and pieces of the debates and I won't call him crazy either, but he seems like a guy who doesn't really believe in anything.. To me he seems like someone who just goes with the flow.. He'll say what others want to hear, as long as he looks good. That kind of scares me more to be honest.

Obviously I'm not an American so I have different interests, and overal Obama was good to us (As in "He didn't f*ck up the world more than it already is"). So I wouldn't mind 4 more years of president Obama.
Old 2012-10-30, 13:48   Link #1919
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
But Romney has no personal plans, so what made you think he wouldn't just follow the orders of those who voted for him?
Romney will do what any person who desires power above all else does: try for more power. Barring the establishment of a Romney Empire (which doesn't seem too likely ), Romney will immediately move to the center where he will cement himself as a full term lame duck President. He will do some things for Republicans, and he will do some things for Democrats, but in the end he will only ever do enough to stay in power as long as he can. He will be a President of little renown but also little hate.
Old 2012-10-30, 13:48   Link #1920
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

You can't suddenly assume he has any convictions at all when he hasn't shown any in the last few years.
He was the former CEO of Bain Capital. For anyone that has even an inkling about the cut-throat world of private equity.. and how much wealth this guy has, if there wasn't something he wanted to do, he wouldn't run for POTUS. To be absolutely honest, most people that have tons of wealth don't necessarily find the job particularly desirable..

You can doubt a lot of things, but don't underestimate his intelligence and his drive to achieve his goals .. even though we don't necessarily know what exactly they are.. (although if you look at his fund raiser comments, other than soundbytes like the "47%" .. when he is speaking to a more sophisticated audience, he does talk about some of his views)
Closed Thread