AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2007-03-26, 07:29   Link #1
martino
makes no files now

IRC /me slang

I was wondering whether there wasn't a feature which would change the typical "IRC slang"; /me blahblahblah... into the IRC form insteak of keeping it just like text, for example like what SMF would do;
/me jumps happilly
to
* martino jumps happily

Thanks
Old 2007-03-26, 09:23   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

It seems The Small One wrote the intro for my reply

We actually encourage people to use proper English so building a slang converter would seem contrary to that. It might also encourage people to post pointless one line replies I would imagine.

Plus such a mechanism would introduce a load to the servers because every single post that gets displayed would need to have a string search performed to see if there was a match for /me . It might not be great (considering there are similar mechanisms in place for the bbcode [ keywords ] ) but I really don't see the point.

A forum is different to IRC and I would prefer to keep the difference
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 14:43   Link #3
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
I was wondering whether there wasn't a feature which would change the typical "IRC slang"; /me blahblahblah... into the IRC form insteak of keeping it just like text, for example like what SMF would do;
/me jumps happilly
to
* martino jumps happily

Thanks
* NoSanninWa is confused.

If you want to do that, then just do it yourself. It's really not hard in the least as you have discovered yourself. Besides, as xris points out, this is a forum not a chat. You can simply express your own feelings instead of needing to rely on such a thing.

* NoSanninWa walks off while shaking head.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 14:57   Link #4
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Besides, as xris points out, this is a forum not a chat. You can simply express your own feelings instead of needing to rely on such a thing.
Personally I really think the most important point to point out is how it would rape the server and make the whole forum slow down to hell
But it's true that it's not that hard anyway to do those emotes yourself.
*goes back to lurking&stalking*
Old 2007-03-26, 14:58   Link #5
martino
makes no files now

* martino understands everyone's reasons and thanks for the input

I see your points now and agree with them... I guess I never really tried thinking of it from the other side before I actually posted my request.
Old 2007-03-27, 08:12   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

* Cats remembers there are lotz of programs for this.. (general use)
* Cats can't remember them at the moment..
* Cats remmembers there was a firefox extention as well..
Old 2007-03-30, 03:37   Link #7
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
It seems The Small One wrote the intro for my reply

We actually encourage people to use proper English so building a slang converter would seem contrary to that. It might also encourage people to post pointless one line replies I would imagine.

Plus such a mechanism would introduce a load to the servers because every single post that gets displayed would need to have a string search performed to see if there was a match for /me . It might not be great (considering there are similar mechanisms in place for the bbcode [ keywords ] ) but I really don't see the point.

A forum is different to IRC and I would prefer to keep the difference
/agreed 100%. Just because this is the internet that doesn't mean we should start associating it with improper grammar and language.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote