AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: Mahouka LN - Steeplechase Chapter (Volume 13) Rating
Perfect 10 13 20.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 20.63%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 26.98%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 17.46%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 6.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.17%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.59%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-06-04, 12:13   Link #2001
millie10468

Spoiler for Ch 5 text:

Ha ha. Lamp-shaded by the novel itself

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 15:15   Link #2002
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie10468 View Post
Spoiler for Ch 5 text:

Ha ha. Lamp-shaded by the novel itself
Tatsuya would not really be wrong though. Only Miyuki and Honoka are in the harem. I was not expecting his discussion with these 2 to turn out like this. When did they become so friendly?
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 15:38   Link #2003
nosaer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
Tatsuya would not really be wrong though. Only Miyuki and Honoka are in the harem. I was not expecting his discussion with these 2 to turn out like this. When did they become so friendly?
Shizuku wants the D as well, she's just more reserved about it because Honoka is like a sister to her, and I believe the novel said something about the other 2 checking him out as well...when you think about all of the girls getting along with each other, it makes the harem easier to manage lol.
nosaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 15:51   Link #2004
millie10468

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaer View Post
Shizuku wants the D as well, she's just more reserved about it because Honoka is like a sister to her, and I believe the novel said something about the other 2 checking him out as well...when you think about all of the girls getting along with each other, it makes the harem easier to manage lol.
It's more like Miyuki is the "legal" wife and she gets to say who comes in and who doesn't. She likes Honoka because she's veeery nonthreatening to her(Miyuki's) position. I believe she'd allow Shizuku as well since she's friends with her too. But I very much believe she'd shut people like Lina and Mayumi (or people she's not that close to and therefore can't predict in some way how they would fit into the harem) down.

Of course, this is all supposing it was a real harem... which Tatsuya clearly implies it isn't. So I'm completely off base

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 15:52   Link #2005
passin'gass
Cropduster

After reading chapter 3 and part of 5, I get the feeling that this volume has been over-edited. It's too lean, skipping over details, asides, expositions, and third person inner monologues and narratives that were present in the early volumes (when the author was self-publishing?). Its right there in chapter 5: Nothing Happened So Lets Skip Over This Part

Yes, chapter 0 was about Kudou Retsu, and 1 was good, but still...

I will reserve judgement until all chapters are out.

@nosaer
I thought 7Sage Ray had a thing with Shizuku?
passin'gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 15:54   Link #2006
IceHism

I honestly don't think most of the people in Tatsuya's supposed harem actually likes him in that way. I haven't seen any real romantic interest outside of Honoka or Miyuki. Everyone is interested in the siblings and his friends respect them A LOT, it doesn't mean they like them in that way.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 16:13   Link #2007
Astraeia

Quote:
Originally Posted by passin'gass View Post
Its right there in chapter 5: Nothing Happened So Lets Skip Over This Part
You could say the same for all of volume 13. Almost.

Spoiler for Vol 13:
Astraeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 16:32   Link #2008
passin'gass
Cropduster

Right? The author seems to be in a rush this volume to get to what he deems the main parts of this arc, skipping over what he sees as "been there, done that" parts.
Old 2014-06-04, 16:36   Link #2009
Astraeia

He must've been in a rush for quite some time then. The last scene with some tension that I remember is Erika figuring out that Tatsuya has Yotsuba connections... 2 volumes ago. Nothing ever came out of it. I was kind of happy when volume 13 acknowledged it happened, but that in and of itself is kinda sad, too, somehow...
Astraeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 16:48   Link #2010
passin'gass
Cropduster

Maybe not "rushed" but more like "controlled". The author has an editor/s and a publishing house to answer to now (pacing, page count, mahouka-verse crossovers, etc.) not like before.

I forget, but was the web novel up to yokohama or visitor arc? It would be interesting to see the tiny, then small, then bigger changes to the story style when the author went pro.

But the important thing is this volume is a setup for more dramatic developments in the storyline, like that Chinese guy.

Last edited by passin'gass; 2014-06-04 at 16:59.
Old 2014-06-04, 16:58   Link #2011
guestuser

Quote:
Maybe not "rushed" but more like "controlled". The author has an editor/s and a publishing house to answer to now (pacing, page count, mahouka-verse crossovers, etc.) not like before.

I forget, but was the web novel up to yokohama or visitor arc? It would be interesting to see the tiny, then small, then bigger changes to the story style when the author went pro.
the author only wrote up to volume 12 with the web novel.
guestuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 17:10   Link #2012
Echizen777

I don't think Shizuku loves Tatsuya. She admires him though and I can't see imagine it having even a minor impact in the story.

Quote:

But the important thing is this volume is a setup for more dramatic developments in the storyline, like that Chinese guy.
Personally I find his style is way better compared to what he was doing in the first volumes. Details are still here but giving too much isn't necessarily good. We are supposed to know well this world anyway.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 17:43   Link #2013
passin'gass
Cropduster

Yes, I agree, this new style is more IRL streaming type. It would have been nice to know the background conversation between the "harems" though? Or the further adventures of Shizuku and Kasumi in the disciplinary committee, maybe even Range Zero with his expanded psions? Alot of things...

Make no mistake, I really really like this series (which I've re-read), but this translated volume so far I wish....
Old 2014-06-04, 18:29   Link #2014
Rava

Quote:
Yes, I agree, this new style is more IRL streaming type. It would have been nice to know the background conversation between the "harems" though? Or the further adventures of Shizuku and Kasumi in the disciplinary committee, maybe even Range Zero with his expanded psions? Alot of things...

Make no mistake, I really really like this series (which I've re-read), but this translated volume so far I wish....
He DID promise short stories for the events at least.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 20:02   Link #2015
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rava View Post
He DID promise short stories for the events at least.
Yeah. It's probably going to be the equivalent of volume 5 and if we're lucky maybe we'll get to see some epic fail attempt by Masaki to woo Miyuki.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 20:34   Link #2016
guestuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Yeah. It's probably going to be the equivalent of volume 5 and if we're lucky maybe we'll get to see some epic fail attempt by Masaki to woo Miyuki.
i wonder if masaki accidentally fall on top of miyuki in a room and tatsuya just happen to walk in what do u think he is gonna do to him.
guestuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 21:05   Link #2017
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestuser View Post
i wonder if masaki accidentally fall on top of miyuki in a room and tatsuya just happen to walk in what do u think he is gonna do to him.
Not gonna happen. Masaki had better be worried about what Miyuki'd do to him.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 22:00   Link #2018
Hokoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Not gonna happen. Masaki had better be worried about what Miyuki'd do to him.
Exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestuser View Post
In the blink of an eye his entire body is going to be turned into an ice sculpture.
Hokoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 22:18   Link #2019
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to kusabireika
0_0 on-topic: I wonder if george tell masaki that tatsuya could use molecular divider "He thought it was that not (Decomposition)" I wonder how will masaki will react or his clan will react
Old 2014-06-04, 22:26   Link #2020
Guest2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraeia View Post
You could say the same for all of volume 13. Almost.

Spoiler for Vol 13:
Although I think there maybe a difference in understanding what happened.
Spoiler for V13:
Guest2 is offline   Reply With Quote