AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 29
10: Amazing... 14 25.00%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 22 39.29%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 10 17.86%
7 out of 10: Good... 6 10.71%
6 out of 10: Average... 1 1.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 3 5.36%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-04-29, 07:35   Link #41
kakakka

The OP is awesome.

EDIT: While Flit is indeed very loving, you got to scratch your head how he was eager to send Kio to the battlefield. But then again, like the previous generation, he only did it so they could protect what is dear to them.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 07:46   Link #42
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Random thoughts:

- Good episode, though the usual AGE problems are still there. The OP has me really excited. I am really surprised they are going with the missing father route with Asemu. I am looking forward to his inevitable return with his pirate Gundam.

- The usual AGE pacing issue strikes again. The Big Ring got obliterated in under one minute, rendering all the fightings in the past useless. And suddenly Vagan MS pop out of nowhere. Earth Federation incompetence at their finest again.

- I am really tired of the "WTF? How can we let such huge mothership/base/MS approach us?". Please, this has been happened for generations now and really, no precautions for it?

- Vagans lose all my sympathies when the huge dragon MS SPECIFICALLY aimed at Kio, a 13-year-old kid...

- The Gundam docking is super robot-ish, complete with cheessy music. But it is a nice debut.

- I'm liking the Holmes of the Battlefield. Seems like a fun and competent fella. The Clanches kick asses

- Zeheart is still young? And he might have a moe follower? Wow. I hope Kio doesn't steal his father's rival away though. I would like Asemu VS Zeheart for a final battle.

- Diva.....shouldn't it be a piece of crap now? The problem with this show is the technological advancement is pretty much non existence. Diva can be used for 70+ years. Wow....I think same will go to Gundam AGE-1 too eventually.
Old 2012-04-29, 08:35   Link #43
jmspmash

two words:

CORE FIGHTER!!!!

i wish i have a grandpa as badass as Flit!
jmspmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 09:17   Link #44
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Something I think is worth musing about:

So.. Vagan cells were hidden on Earth, and they hanged and interacted among the Earth-faring populace like just any other human beings, like friends and even spouses. To me, the inevitable fall-out is very unimaginable, and perhaps even unfortunate:

-Assuming Vagans did settle on Earth, many families would be torn apart once they find out about their differing allegiances.

-The Feddies would find it impossible to hunt for Vagans among the populace, which complicates the resistance effort even more. (ooh suddenly everything falls in place for Asemu the Pirate to return, to lead the resistance movement with the Feddies completely overrun)
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 09:34   Link #45
larethian

Ok, for the first 5 minutes, I was going "WTF, Asem, I thought I'm going to see a 3 generation battle and you have to go die. Not being an ex-rounder really sucks for you man", but after that, he got the "MIA not dead" flag. Phew...

This OP is the best of the 3. The ED is good too.
I already stop caring about the plot holes. Let me just enjoy these last 20+ episodes without using my brain. (Btw, why do the old men in the show need to wear goggles? )
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 10:07   Link #46
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
The OP is awesome.

EDIT: While Flit is indeed very loving, you got to scratch your head how he was eager to send Kio to the battlefield. But then again, like the previous generation, he only did it so they could protect what is dear to them.
He's been obviously grooming Kio since as far back as he can for this.

I mean... a custom-built MS Battle Simulator to allow for MS training since childhood.

I think another big alarm in respects to this is the very fact that Flit seems to have resigned from the EFF. Considering his dedication to his life mission ( PURGE VEGAN SCUM ), he must have done so for a bigger picture in mind. ( for the sake of more family time with Kio?) .

Unlike Asemu, Flit is very very clearly a very close family figure to Kio, one in both respect and familiarity.

The most he ever did for Asemu was basically establishing a direction for Asemu's career and personal growth, through the education of the Asuno responsibility as well as academic recommendations.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 10:08   Link #47
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RES-01 Perses Gundam View Post
Something I think is worth musing about:

So.. Vagan cells were hidden on Earth, and they hanged and interacted among the Earth-faring populace like just any other human beings, like friends and even spouses. To me, the inevitable fall-out is very unimaginable, and perhaps even unfortunate:

-Assuming Vagans did settle on Earth, many families would be torn apart once they find out about their differing allegiances.

-The Feddies would find it impossible to hunt for Vagans among the populace, which complicates the resistance effort even more. (ooh suddenly everything falls in place for Asemu the Pirate to return, to lead the resistance movement with the Feddies completely overrun)
What did I tell ya, sleeper cells! I think it was Skane I suggested it too but I might be wrong...at least about that. Okay enough phony ego stroking.

One other thing I think bears mentioning, if we consider Big Ring the Jaburo of Earth in AGE then chronologically it lasted longer than Jaburo did in the original Gundam since they save near the end of the 2nd Gundam movie only for the Feds to blow it up themselves in Zeta 7 years later. Here Big Ring lasts over 50 years that we know of. I don't think it renders the fighting useless, it's just something that unfortunately happens with bases, kind of like how the Granada Moon base switches Political affiliation god knows how many times in U.C
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 10:33   Link #48
faiz blaster

I wonder if the pirate-like MS seen in the opening has anything to do with that Gundam Age manga with a pirate protagonist. If it does, that would be awesome!
faiz blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 10:34   Link #49
ion475
にこにこにー

Not bad for a beginning. I guess that's why they just decide to wrap up Asemu arc in no time...

1. ZZ Gundam, I mean AGE-3 appear. First comment = poor Asemu, after a whole arc and Kio is already better than you...
2. Asemu MIA, then the Crossbone Vanguard in OP...umm, sounds like Asemu rescuing the Feddie sometimes in the middle of the arc...
3. Diva still looks the same to me...it's 70 years old and still running? But then, if you look at V Gundam and those 60 years old technology (Wait, that's why Zanscare pwn the feddie in that series...)
4. As much as Flit can be a maniac sometimes against Vaigan, you have to admit that he's still awesome as an old dude...
5. Holmes of the Battlefield, next Largan or next Wolff?
6. Zeheart return already. Will see how much he's blind by the ideal.
7. Clanche...at least we don't have to look at Alisa struggling with her Adele even after a whole arc...

Not the worst beginning. But then, Asemu arc starts promising also and went way downhill...
Old 2012-04-29, 11:43   Link #50
xellos2099

I wonder if Asemu planned his disappearance all along.. it might be something like he knew he is being target from someone and he need to disappear in order to protect his family. Remember his cue was "his final mission" as if he knew something is going to happen.
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 12:10   Link #51
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
He's been obviously grooming Kio since as far back as he can for this.

I mean... a custom-built MS Battle Simulator to allow for MS training since childhood.
You are aware that the Federation is at war right? A war that's pretty much been going on for decades. As Natalie pointed out in SEED first episode, kids eventually get conscripted into the war effort as so many adults have died.

The best thing Flit could do is to prepare his descendants who'll evidently get dragged into the fighting whether they like it or not.

At least we're not getting some kid who knows jack about suits jumping into a powerful machine and owning guys left and right.

Quote:
I think another big alarm in respects to this is the very fact that Flit seems to have resigned from the EFF. Considering his dedication to his life mission ( PURGE VEGAN SCUM ), he must have done so for a bigger picture in mind. ( for the sake of more family time with Kio?) .
It's possible that because of the infiltration from the Vagans Flit realized that the Vagans cannot be beaten with just the Federation due to the red tape crap (And he knows this very well from S1 where it was just him and a renegade band).

So he's opting as a third-party where he's free to go in and assist the Federation where possible.

Quote:

Probably because since the war has been going on for so long the Earth sphere are getting tired and desperate as it seems there's no end to the attacks.

On that matter I find it weird that for a nation whose people are supposingly suffering in appalling conditions can maintain a war for so long and at the same time sustain heavy casualties.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 12:16   Link #52
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
You are aware that the Federation is at war right? A war that's pretty much been going on for decades. As Natalie pointed out in SEED first episode, kids eventually get conscripted into the war effort as so many adults have died.
Simple reason that this isn't Gundam Seed
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 12:39   Link #53
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Except it hasn't been determined that this is necessarily the case in AGE. In fact, there seems to be plenty of peace time during this war where the Vagans simply laid low. Earth hasn't even been touched until the end of Asem's arc. So, for all intents and purposes, the Federations should still have plenty of adults to be trained as soldiers.

It's just that Flit wants to keep the Gundam in his family, which I have accepted. But please don't try to use what Natarle said in SEED to excuse Flit training Kio at such a young AGE. It just doesn't apply here.

(Note, I haven't watched the episode, so may be there's new information that I'm not aware of yet. But as of the end of episode 28, my point stands.)
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 13:13   Link #54
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post

- Diva.....shouldn't it be a piece of crap now? The problem with this show is the technological advancement is pretty much non existence. Diva can be used for 70+ years.
Long-service ships are nothing in the timespan of navies. Many of the aircraft carriers in service with the US Navy are over 40-50+ years old, ex. the aircraft carrier CVN-65 USS Enterprise is 52 years old, and only retiring this year. The longest serving vessel in the US Navy is the USS Constitution, which was launched 1797 and was retired in 1881: 87 years of service. Many combat aircraft today also follow said pattern: the B-52 Stratofortress is 60 years old and counting, along with the venerable C-130 Hercules that's still in service today, with both receiving upgrades to bring them up to standard.

People have been spoiled by the super-fast technological advances of many Gundam shows, where you go from basic mobile suits to mobile superweapons in the space of a year or two (the only time in history this pattern existed was in WW2, which was the basis for MSG's insane development timeframe). The AGE Builder aside, the tech development and combat hardware deployment timeframes for Gundam AGE is actually more realistic than its contemporaries.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 13:17   Link #55
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Long-service ships are nothing in the timespan of navies. Many of the aircraft carriers in service with the US Navy are over 40-50+ years old, ex. the aircraft carrier CVN-65 USS Enterprise is 52 years old, and only retiring this year. The longest serving vessel in the US Navy is the USS Constitution, which was launched 1797 and was retired in 1881: 87 years of service.

People have been spoiled by the super-fast technological advances of many Gundam shows, where you go from basic mobile suits to mobile superweapons in the space of a year or two. The AGE Builder aside, the tech development and combat hardware deployment timeframes for Gundam AGE is actually more realistic than its contemporaries.
Most US capital ships are retired within 40-50 years of service. The ones you quoted are special cases, and even those two ships didn't participate in combat past their useful life. In the USS Constitution's case, its last major battles were in the War of 1812, and in its later years it served as a training ship.

And the Jeanne D'Arc was probably the most outdated and decrepit ship in any Gundam series outside of Turn A Gundam and even that was only 60 years old when it made its appearance.
Old 2012-04-29, 13:22   Link #56
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Yes, they were special cases--what's to say that the Diva isn't one such special case as well?
Old 2012-04-29, 13:59   Link #57
monster

The Diva really hasn't seen that many onscreen major battles in this long war. And this ties to what I said earlier about there being times where apparently the Vagans simply laid low. So I can believe that it's still usable after all these decades. Especially since, presumably, they've been maintaining and/or improving it.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 14:26   Link #58
Blaat

Maybe the Diva got retrofitted like the Enterprise in Star Trek TPM?

Anyway liking the third generation so far, let's see how they screw it up. [/pessimist]
Old 2012-04-29, 14:34   Link #59
atilim
Knightmare

Decent episode however partly disappointed since Kio didn't fight against his daddy s BFF.

And this episode makes it clear that you can not negiotate with Vagan, it is clear that they had decent numbers of people living on Earth to the point wondering why they are even fighting (obvious answer to wipe everybody that isn't Vagan out). They have been since arc 1 randomly firing at buildings and almost attacking Kio (a 13 year child) who at the moment was zero threat (and no logical reason to assume he would ever become a threat). Your in a way I can understand that, but why is it that whenever Vagan is fighting they are more focused on civilians then on enemy mobile suits.

Zeheart's new MS kind of looks like a mech from Technoman, maybe it is the humanoid look with the tail, skinny legs and broad chest.

Flit looks kind of lame, the shape of hit head is ugly that I wish they just kept his Age2 looks with some small modifications like grey hear and wrinkles. Also what is the current position of Flit in the Fed. he clearly isn't on active military duty and he isn't a politician yet he has the power to bring out a battleship (no mater if it is a outdated).
atilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 14:58   Link #60
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

I really doubt that they would kill off Asemu. Guess he's just still missing. At least Flit is still badass in his age. So Kio now starts to fight with the age-3.

Tags
weekly episode discussion