AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass R2 Series Rating
Perfect 10 365 44.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 199 24.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 92 11.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 76 9.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 31 3.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 20 2.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 1.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 0.49%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.25%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 1.72%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-10-04, 17:40   Link #21
Strygwyr
Attention Queen killer.
*IT Support

Animation quality:10 Nice drawings

Voice acting 7.5

Scripting: 1 Its too much easy too predict or lame twist.......... you can imagine what is gonna happen next

ending: 5 S1 was good but in r2 they rushed to the end.
Old 2008-10-04, 17:53   Link #22
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post

Conclusion
Code Geass was ambitious... well too much for its own good?
I would say yes, though it wasn't all that bad because it managed to be entertaining. However, because of its inherent storytelling, R2 had to deliver several things in a very specific way that did not work in the end, well at least for me.
Perhaps it was because of my expectations, but R2 failed to execute properly the events that would involve the world into a total war.

5/10 - below average

I have rated for myself the first season as 8,5. However, because of the fact R2 was meant to give all the answers (which is absolutely not the case here) and THE conclusion, its value has a bigger impact than the first season, and I would give the franchise a very "fragile" 6/10 in the end. This is basically showing how disappointed I'm.

This "essay" is of course my only opinion, and i don't pretend to get an appreciation more worthy than anyone else's.

Holy

Anyone who has ever complained about my ranting and ravings, just look at this, Klashikari, utterly destroyed Code Geass.

I have stated that I feel people are not hard enough, and you hit a home run, that was simply beautiful. I also can't find any real fault with your logic.

They didn't answer a whole lot, and as I stated except for about 5 characters the character development was crap.

While some of it can be blamed on the time change, a lot of it can't, they chose to empasize plot twists over actual story telling, they chose to ignore developing characters, and for that you have a ton of characters you hate.

A 10/10 shouldn't need defending since it should be perfect.

A 10/10 shouldn't have any characters you hate.

A 10/10 shouldn't include the words The Scrappy

A 10/10 shouldn't include the words Rescue from the Scrappy Heap

A 10/10 shouldn't leave you wondering what happened

An example my favorite manga is FMA, and I love every single character, I love the Chimeras, I love the soldiers, I love the plot, I love the villains. They don't have a lot of plot twists, because you don't need plot twists.

For that review you deserve a postive rep

I have given you your postive rep

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-10-04 at 17:57. Reason: please do not quote the WHOLE wall of text
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 18:29   Link #23
Kusaja

Story:

I believe that the plot was brought to a relatively satisfying conclusion in terms of Lelouch's development as a character, and thus at its core the story definitely worked. Pacing problems became a real issue, especially towards the second half of R2, and that did affect the overall flow, but I never really felt lost and most of the necessary steps were taken to keep things focused on Lelouch's story. Still, certain events were dealt with too quickly, in particular the climatic confrontation with Charles and Marianne.

The last arc seemed to feel out of place, but was rehabilitated by the ending, even if unanswered questions and hanging plot threads of varying importance hurt the final result. Then again, I eventually ended up appreciating that the ending gives the viewer the ability to make up his own mind about Lelouch's fate, but I understand that's the kind of thing not everyone will like.

Animation:

The animation was generally good and, in places, even great. Some frames did lack quality, but not to a bothersome extent. The character designs remained attractive and distinctive enough.

Music and Sound:

Code Geass R2 had good music, and for the most part it was used well within the show itself. The insert songs, in particular, were quite nice.

Characters:

Lelouch, naturally, carried the show once again, and did so successfully to a certain extent. Suzaku and C.C. played the most important supporting roles, though I'm also one of the few people who would add that Kallen wasn't that mistreated either, and got some attention and closure in her own right. Granted, there were also some problems here and there, so some may find it more disappointing than others, but overall I'm okay with these four characters.

Sounds fine, but what brings down the score then? A huge cast which was mostly misused. The fact that too many secondary or tertiary characters were introduced, without giving them enough weight to stand on. Many of them didn't require too much attention in the first place, I can see that the story works fine regardless, but others, like Marianne and ultimately Schneizel, did seem to demand either more screen time or more convincing motivations.The pacing is also to blame for this, unfortunately, to a certain extent.

Entertainment Value:

Whatever else I may say, Code Geass R2 was an entertaining show, in many different ways, and I do not regret watching it.

All in all, I think R2 kept a lot of the spirit of the original, but stumbled quite a bit in practice, resulting in an enjoyable sequel that could easily have been equal or even better than the original with less characters and better pacing, but wasn't.

Overall: 7/10

Last edited by Kusaja; 2008-10-06 at 01:22.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 18:30   Link #24
Jays

Ha really, I don't know how else to say it.

I became far more interested in the characters than the story itself, mainly because I fell in love with this anime during the first season. However, even thought it started out strong, it felt like the second season just wasnt up to par with the first one. This is probably because the focus has been shifted.

While I indeed did enjoy some parts of it, the last third of R2 was rushed, leading me to believe that better planning earlier would have fixed this. For the most part, it almost felt like they had to finish it, rather than they wanted to finish it.

The sense of, you don't know what's going to happen, was replaced by a sense of, how are they gonna make it work, that was the crux of the season.

8/10
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 18:39   Link #25
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I already have the Code Geass effect, I keep thinking there's another episode of CG tommorrow...way too used to waiting for Code Geass on a sunday...

Animation

While I except better animation from such a popular show, the animation is fine. Althought sometimes the story boarding gets a little off, like Spinzaku and Marianne random high kick.

Although Lelouch mouth looks real odd from time to time, I liked how Sunrise adapted Clamp art style. I prefer Sunrise own drawings compared to Clamp's. Clamp has some funny tastes for Emperor Lelouch...and Suzaku Knight of Zero battle clothes. I'm no expert when it comes to mecha, the mecha looks nice enough to me. But still...pink mecha for C.C? At least make it green...

Overall the animation is well done, so 8/10 (If KyoAni is rated 10/10)

Sound

Fukamaya Jun as Lelouch is just a perfect match, the speeches done by Zero, the emotional scenes with Lelouch is perfect. Unfortunately, Fukayama Jun can't sing ;P The other seiyuus are perfect. The only once I disliked is V.V.

Nothing is wrong with Code Geass voices, they're all perfect. But one problem I have with Code Geass seiyuus, is that when I hear them from another anime, I end up thinking it's Code Geass. The best example must be Fukayama Jun, when I heard him in Special A...I keep thinking to myself 'Why dont Kei just geass Hikari'. C.C seiyuu, Yukana is currently voicing a character in Soul Eater, and obviously I get reminded by it.

The OST sounds great, with or without Code Geass. R2 OST is definately better then the first season, which in some opinion this might be the only thing that is better then first season.

Sound : 10/10

Story

The story is enough to make me want to know what happen next. The story got really weird after the Wakamoto rocket episode, I just don't understand anything after that. The China arc felt like a waste, despite I quite enjoyed that arc.

The script sometimes is very...how should I put it...interesting? I love how Lelouch said he'll use Rolo like a rag, and then throw him away like one too. But when he told C.C to die with a smile, felt very cliche. The script isn't the most unique, but I feel it does it job.

The ending however, I happy with it. Sunrise did leave a few things open, but I feel if they made a closed ending...it might rage the fans even more ^_^''

I'm not the best analyser for storyline and scripts. But there is enough twist to make me want more of it, despite sometimes being quite random. I wouldn't call R2 typical yet, but that might be because I watch other anime that is meant to be cliche.

Story 7/10

Overall, there's actually ALOT of problems when it comes to R2, mainly the twists, plot and character section. But it enough to make fans talk about and definately the most popular anime of the Spring-Autumn anime. It created many memes too (mainly Spinzaku). At the very least, I enjoyed it even with these problems. I would give it an overall 8.
Old 2008-10-04, 18:44   Link #26
BigGimp77

I thought R1 was a very good show. I enjoyed R1 a lot. But saying that....

R2 was a HUGE disappointment.

The Good:
-Good Animation
-Solid VA
-BGM was satisfactory
-I actually liked the ending despite not liking the entire second season.

The Bad:
-The plot was a mess.
-Plot twist, while unpredictable, were far fetched and too frequent
-Character personalities were abused and changed too many times throughout the series. Also they maybe added too many character in this second season.

Honestly, I had actually thought about dropping R2 many times because it became too silly. I couldn't take characters or the plot seriously after half way through the season. It ended up just being a very average watch for me.

6/10
BigGimp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 18:50   Link #27
Charred Knight

Is it just me or are the people voting 10/10 not posting?

What the hell is the point of this thread, if people are just going to vote, and not post reasons. I am glad I am not the only person not voting a 6/10, but I would at least like to see someone defend the thing.

Are they afraid? We won't bite
Old 2008-10-04, 18:58   Link #28
Worriors1
Spontaneous Retirement.

It may be because all of you are posting really awesome reviews and why you think that way..

Heck, I mean, I feel bad now about my short post about why I thought that way.

They might be scared of being bashed or something for their short reviews.

Eh, dunno..
Old 2008-10-04, 19:04   Link #29
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worriors1 View Post
It may be because all of you are posting really awesome reviews and why you think that way..

Heck, I mean, I feel bad now about my short post about why I thought that way.

They might be scared of being bashed or something for their short reviews.

Eh, dunno..
When I read Klashikari review I felt bad that my review looked like crap, but I just want to see some debate.

If you look at the poll (overwhelmingly postive) and compare it to the thread (a wide range, with negative getting suprisingly good results), I just want to see someone explain to me why they voted 10/10 or 9/10.
Old 2008-10-04, 19:08   Link #30
Strygwyr
Attention Queen killer.
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
Is it just me or are the people voting 10/10 not posting?

What the hell is the point of this thread, if people are just going to vote, and not post reasons. I am glad I am not the only person not voting a 6/10, but I would at least like to see someone defend the thing.

Are they afraid? We won't bite
Yo stop........................if they don't want to post then let them be.
Old 2008-10-04, 19:08   Link #31
Worriors1
Spontaneous Retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
When I read Klashikari review I felt bad that my review looked like crap, but I just want to see some debate.

If you look at the poll (overwhelmingly postive) and compare it to the thread (a wide range, with negative getting suprisingly good results), I just want to see someone explain to me why they voted 10/10 or 9/10.
I kind of do too, but I fear something really bad might happen. I mean, bad debates were on alot of threads and.. Yeah..

Let's not promote it,

It's entertaining to watch... For a while atleast..
Old 2008-10-04, 19:24   Link #32
ApostleOfGod
^.^

10/10 Script, Editing, VA
9/10 Anime Quality

I may be a booster compared to a lot of the posters here, but I think we can all agree that CG was unbelievably entertaining. All these people who say "it was a bit entertaining" or "meh, it lost its touch halfway", I know y'all was set up with your popcorn and drinks to the left, Tv set to perfect volume, and a comfortable position to enjoy the show which CG provided each week. That's not "decent entertainment". That's Good entertainment.

Scripting... Was brilliant. Yes, there were Lots of plot twists, Lots of things that were not necessarily cleared, but that's the thing. It shouldn't necessarily bother us to the end. You know, when I was watching Lulu get stabbed, and the whole operation of Zero Requiem happening, I wasn't sitting at my monitor, thinking, "Hmm.. Will C.C.'s real name be mentioned soon?" No. I let myself enjoy the show for what it is. I tell you, I've watched a lot of animes up till now, and Code Geass has been an extraordinary ride. No doubt this is true. It was intense, it brought the fans the excitement they needed. You can't have everything anyways. And with the scripting comes Editing, which was well done too, considering all of the commotion at early season and pre season.

VA was perfection - I can't speak for the entirety of the two seasons - I don't remember every scene and voice acting - but I can say that every moment of CG I can remember had splendid voices which matched character and mood. A good Voice Acting is one that doesn't take away attention from the show and plot - that's exactly what happened with CG. I never had to point out that Zero's voice was different at some point, or that C.C.'s voice seemed out of place; I didn't have any complaints with that. Sheer splendor.

The A Q is only 9 because of the drop at certain points. Also, due to the lanky character designs of the CG franchise, sometimes, things out of proportion were notable. But these minor flaws never took away from the suspense and the thrilling backgrounds, movements, and all scenes - Quality maintained its high standards pretty much through the entire show.

Overall ranking... Easy 10/10. CG was one of the few animes that always kept me on my feet. Very exciting and a great storyline. Once again, this masterpiece is a 10/10.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 19:31   Link #33
Orca
Orca of the Azure sea

Great series. 8/10.
Orca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 20:00   Link #34
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

6/10

the good:
animation
music
twists
ending

the bad:
story
farfetchedness of the twists
china arc (wayyy too much time spent on this)

eps 1-23 would have gotten a 4 or 5/10, but the last two eps, especially the last one, redeemed it enough in my book.

Continued Story has played ~80 times since i got it last week.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 20:32   Link #35
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Eyes: 8.21/10...

Spoiler for thoughts:

Ears: 9.25/10...

Spoiler for thoughts:

Brains: 5.66/10

Spoiler for thoughts:

Obviously there is more I can get into (Suzaku's connection to geass, C.C.'s name, history behind Code or Geass [notably immortality], mismanagement of all the KoR's including KoR #9!?!, horrendous pacing at-times between the first and second half of the season, ambiguos ending that played right into the hands of the zealots), but at the end of the day it seems this show got trapped between being a Pop-show and a seriously unique show and the pop-culture side won out; whether it be by Sunrise's hands or the writers...I do believe the director though because his words just makes sense, however that's for everyone to judge...My final score would be 6.59 outta 10, but Ill round that up to a 7 since I don't watch 50 eps of a show that's just average or below unless it's GSD just to bash it until my masochistic tendency stops kicking in...I also think the most underrated aspect of the show was the mecha-fighting and over the last 10 eps it was incredible at-times and visually stunning which added some points to my final appraisal...Overall though, I'd have to say CG R2 had a chance to be one of those rare finds, but winds up being just another cool anime that's big now but unfortunately will be atop a haywagon cart tommorrow...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2008-10-04 at 21:52.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 20:36   Link #36
Rhapsody

Send a message via AIM to Rhapsody Send a message via MSN to Rhapsody Send a message via Yahoo to Rhapsody
I gave it an 8/10.

Here's a quick rundown of what I thought:

VA was great. I loved how most of them voiced in Tales games.
Characters were good, while some were too stereotypical. I would've preferred if they went more in-depth with some of the side characters. Some characters felt a little wasted in my opinion.
Mecha was okay. Some were cool, some were overpowered, and some were bland.
Story was great until the R2 season. The China arc wasn't too interesting for me.
Ending was okay. I liked it, but the last few episodes leading into it were paced a little strangely. In fact, all of R2 was paced a little strangely. Especially when Lulu went to destroy all the people involved with the Geass after the China arc.
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 21:02   Link #37
Orophin

I wanted to give it a 8/10 but I accidentally clicked on 9/10 instead...
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 21:18   Link #38
Tandang Sora
Equivalent Exchange.

Animation Quality: 10
Voice Actors:8
Script: 5
Overall:10
Tandang Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 21:21   Link #39
Kushi

Mmm code geasss... where to start?

First season was pretty exciting I really liked it. Now on to the second season...

The animation wasn't all that great there were a lot of stick man looking figures for half the episodes. Uhm the plot twists were amazing for the first 10 episodes or so of R2. I couldn't keep my mind off CG for days after the episode was shown, I was constantly daydreaming about it. I think they went too far however, with the plot twists it just started getting stupid and ridculous. In the sense that at first you would go "Ohhh that's pretty cool" or "whoa didn't see that coming"... after a while you predict what's going to happen, then you flip the idea 180 degree and you'll predict the plot twist. What I mean by that is Anya has Marianne's memories, Nunnally being alive [after freya]....

There was also too much general retardedness in the anime than what I would have hoped to see. A "general" can get himself and his whole army killed in like 3 minutes.... without any tactics or strategy he just orders them to charge...

Overall I really liked this series, the fanservice, the comedy and the characters. The action and the mechs also deserve a honourable mention. I would have liked more character development for the minor character but it was decent. If the plot twists didn't get so ridculous this series would have deserved a 8 or above. In my honestly opinion carefully analyzing what was wrong and good about this series, I would only give it a 6.5 [In terms of plot / general satisfication]. I fortunately am not a professional rater, so I can be as biased as I want. I'll vote a 9 because of how the series and the characters stuck to me, how amazing the voice actors were, how I enjoyed this series for the past 2 or 3 years.

10 for the characters, because they were well created, I couldn't help but fall inlove with them or totally hate them. [Ougi needed to die kthx]. They were absolutely amazing

-1 for the fact that absolutely every character in this anime loved Marianne or highly respected her, and yet when we actually see her she was a idiotic tramp...

voted 9 / 10
Kushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 21:23   Link #40
Anavel
*Graphic Designer

7/10

The last several episodes were disappointing, too fast paced. Though the last two episodes were good and increased my rating. I would have given it a 8/10 if there was fan service, but alas, there was none.
Anavel is offline   Reply With Quote