AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-06-06, 22:23   Link #1
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Favorite Final Fantasy Game

I've always been facinated about why people like certain titles in the FF series. Personally my favorite was FFX. It was just full of epic-ness and emotion, something the FF has been lacking recently (ugh FFXII).
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-06, 22:25   Link #2
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Six. Or as we humbly call it here - three.

Nobuo Uematsu crafted some of the most epic music with the SNES limitations, and the story wasn't heavily scripted like they are today. Fights were fun and the characters were likable.

Also, lolFFXIII
Old 2011-06-06, 22:30   Link #3
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

I haven't played XI but I've heard good things about it. I've played VII, VIII, X, X-2, XII and XIII. The only ones that I felt emotional connection with was VIII and X. Call me a sucker for cliche love scenes but meh Tidus at Yuna's wedding was EPIC
Old 2011-06-06, 22:33   Link #4
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Did you mean to write VI? If so, I can't blame you; 'tis hard to find it nowadays. IV, VII and VIII were special to me as well.
Old 2011-06-06, 22:34   Link #5
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Final Fantasy VI, followed by Final Fantasy IX, then Final Fantasy IV. Then FF VII and then FF XII.

FF VII was a good JRPG when it came out, I enjoyed it, and it did sooo much for RPGs in the west, but damn is it overrated. That still bugs me to this day.
Old 2011-06-06, 22:38   Link #6
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Did you mean to write VI? If so, I can't blame you; 'tis hard to find it nowadays. IV, VII and VIII were special to me as well.
lol damn roman numerals yes I meant VI. XIII had a nice story but it felt rushed, aswell as XII. I just felt like I invested 40 hours of my life (each) only to be trolled for dreaming of an epic storyline. I've wanted to dl VI for ages now but I hate using torrents, too unreliable (please don't delete me mods )
Old 2011-06-06, 23:00   Link #7
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Final Fantasy VI, followed by Final Fantasy IX, then Final Fantasy IV. Then FF VII and then FF XII.

FF VII was a good JRPG when it came out, I enjoyed it, and it did sooo much for RPGs in the west, but damn is it overrated. That still bugs me to this day.
I think 50% of VII success is due to sephiroth. It helps to have the most bad ass villian ever created in the game.
Old 2011-06-06, 23:03   Link #8
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
I think 50% of VII success is due to sephiroth. It helps to have the most bad ass villian ever created in the game.
It was the CG and pre-rendered backgrounds that made it take off in sales in the west. And Sony and Squaresoft marketed it well.
Old 2011-06-06, 23:59   Link #9
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I'd say Final Fantasy IX for sure it's always been my favorite I loved the storyline, character, and it had the best minigames and side quests by far.

Though I missed out on I~VI since I never owned an SNES , and the last one I bothered to finish was XII, and FFTA2, I played XIII some from a friend, but I got few hours into it and just couldn't get find the motivation to play more >.>.

My second favorite would be the tactics series, especially the original FFT , FFTA was pretty good too, though I found FFTA2 a bit lacking compared to the two despite the larger variety of classes and races[though starting at 0 mana was interesting for balance it was kind of annoying overall D:].

Aside from them I'd rank FFXI next, despite all the criticism of the game I could make it; it was fun overall and kept me playing it for awhile . And the major storylines were great, I really liked the 3 nation's storys and the Rise of Zilart and Chains of Promathia storylines, and Treasures of Aht Urhgan was great though a bit slow to get going . Never finished the the storylines after the ACP, so don't how the whole past storyline was . Also they really composed some of their best music ever for this game, it was an odd strong point for an MMO to have.

So overall Final Fantasys I've played I'd rank in order: FFIX > FFT > FFXI > FFTA > VII > X > XII > FFTA2 > X-2[lol] > VIII > anything I am forgetting.

P.S. Sephiroth as opponent and/or villain doesn't have crap on the Crystal Warriors/Ark Angels .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-06, 23:59   Link #10
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Without a doubt VI. Loved the cast of characters and the story was enjoyable to follow as well.

Liked VII, IX, and X. Actually thought XIII was fine, though I could understand the complaints.
Old 2011-06-07, 00:12   Link #11
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

XI up through Chains of Promathia is my favorite Final Fantasy. I love the FF job system so XI was perfect for me. The story in XI was also terrific; it's a pity that a lot of people aren't able to experience it because it's an MMO. I didn't like the direction the game took after CoP though (I'm one of those masochists that actually enjoyed the old grindy gameplay).

Of the "regular" FF games, my favorite would be IV, although SE has really whored that game out too much with all the ports/remakes and the "After Years".

Tactics, X-2, and V would also be up there thanks again to the job system. I also really liked XII although it was also kind of disappointing because of the missed potential due to the development problems it experienced.

Least favorite is no doubt XIII. I am currently playing it (third attempt). Nice graphics and a semi-decent battle system, and that's about it. Horrible story and characters just kill this game for me.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 00:12   Link #12
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Ive never understood why nobody likes VIII? Maybe I'm a biased judge as XIII was my first JRPG I played.

edit: I liked the whole assassination plot and the garden military academies but I admit the time space element towards the end did put me off a little bit. But it was certainly not as bad as eeryone says it was. The mini-game monster cards was EPIC
Old 2011-06-07, 00:16   Link #13
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Does Kingdom Hearts count? Cause frankly I've never been very interested in the Final Fantasy series itself.

Dissidia was the closest the series came to getting me to play it and that was still a major disappointment.

I will admit though XIII Versus actually looks pretty cool, but I really only looked at it after I heard the KH team was working on it.
Old 2011-06-07, 00:33   Link #14
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
XI up through Chains of Promathia is my favorite Final Fantasy. I love the FF job system so XI was perfect for me. The story in XI was also terrific; it's a pity that a lot of people aren't able to experience it because it's an MMO. I didn't like the direction the game took after CoP though (I'm one of those masochists that actually enjoyed the old grindy gameplay).
Surely you must be joking while it did lower the level grinding aspect somewhat, Treasures of Aht Urhgan add far more endgame grinding than before with Einherjar, Zeni NMs, Assault Ranks, and especially Salvage and the Mythic Weapons[the requirements for those were absolutely INSANE], SE put the requirements of the relic weapons to shame . The only way they could have made those weapons possibly harder to get would be to require AV's and PW's defeat titles .
MAL
Old 2011-06-07, 00:36   Link #15
Alchemist007
*Author

Haven't played any, just watched some friends do so years ago. I figure one day I'll be bothered to buy a PS system and play through them all (and some on the DS).
Old 2011-06-07, 00:42   Link #16
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Probably IX...
Mostly because it holds many memories of me playing it with my friends. Also, I can't still get enough of that Oelivert (or something..I forgot the exact word) theme

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 00:54   Link #17
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

VII Hater gonna hate

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 00:55   Link #18
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
VII Hater gonna hate
I don't hate VII, I enjoyed it, but on the other hand I'll admit freely it's probably somewhat overrated .
MAL
Old 2011-06-07, 01:02   Link #19
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Surely you must be joking while it did lower the level grinding aspect somewhat, Treasures of Aht Urhgan add far more endgame grinding than before with Einherjar, Zeni NMs, Assault Ranks, and especially Salvage and the Mythic Weapons[the requirements for those were absolutely INSANE], SE put the requirements of the relic weapons to shame . The only way they could have made those weapons possibly harder to get would be to require AV's and PW's defeat titles .
No, I'm not joking. I was referring to the old slow party leveling style fighting endless IT++ crabs. Yes, I actually enjoyed that even though it bored most people to tears. However, I didn't enjoy most grindy endgame activities. That's why most of my personal "endgame" was farting around by myself as a BST.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 01:09   Link #20
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
No, I'm not joking. I was referring to the old slow party leveling style fighting endless IT++ crabs. Yes, I actually enjoyed that even though it bored most people to tears. However, I didn't enjoy most grindy endgame activities. That's why most of my personal "endgame" was farting around by myself as a BST.
Ah, well I did enjoy it somewhat on my first job, but I was thankful for the level changes when I leveled other jobs plus Blue Mage was the most fun class ever in any MMO aside from when the game hated you and it took stupid amounts of time to learn spells from the enemies .
MAL

Tags
favorite series, final fantasy, mmorpg, square enix