AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-04-15, 11:06   Link #1
Bloodstainsfade
Despised

Send a message via AIM to Bloodstainsfade
Lightbulb Naruto Character Names, Origins, and Meanings

I find alot of names in anime's make no sense... Their meanings are just random, especially the vegetable, and underwear array from Dragon Ball Z... But these names, all mean something similar, Kiba for instance means horse... He is obviously a dog person, but the humanistic animal relationship, is cohesive to it's meaning... If you know some of the names, put them here, and say your thesus, on the reasoning for the naming... Or you can just hate me for starting a stupid thread, but whatever...
Bloodstainsfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 11:35   Link #2
kakashilion
has big feet

well sakura means somekind of blossoming flower

and itachis name has somethng do with weasels
kakashilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 11:44   Link #3
hob
Random Stupid Poster.

Send a message via AIM to hob Send a message via MSN to hob Send a message via Yahoo to hob
It's not a stupid thread, i think it's good but i also think that you, as the creator of the thread, should go on deeper into the matter.
hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 12:01   Link #4
Keiokie

Send a message via MSN to Keiokie
I've found out what a few of the names mean...

Kakashi - Scarecrow
Iruka - Dolphin
Sakura - Cherry Blossom

It was either Ino or Shikamaru which transtalted to field. Correct me if Im wrong.
Keiokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 12:02   Link #5
Dark_Oblivion
Gai's 'hip' rival :)

*tries to remember what he can from another thread* I think Orochimaru's name comes from a legend of some giant snake with a similar name. The sword of Kusangi(?) was found in the giant snake (which relates to Orochimaru and how the sword is inside him)
Dark_Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 12:08   Link #6
PinkSpider
先輩

Send a message via ICQ to PinkSpider Send a message via MSN to PinkSpider
I got a reference from a website that talks about all the meaning of names of the characters. Well, I will start of with the sannin. (dunno whether can post the link so might as well give info here)

Jiraiya Sama: 自来也

His name came from old Japanese story、児雷也豪傑物語 (Jiraiya Goketsu Monogatari). This story was published over 30 years! The origin of this Jiraiya was actually named 我来也 (Garaiya, meaning I came) in an old stroy in China called 諧史 (Kaishi). Once it came to Japan and took a long time to became 自来也. Even name, Jirayia has a few different ways to write in Kanji. The Kanji in above English site refers to is 児雷也.

This stroy is now played in 歌舞伎 (Kabuki). The way Jiraiya looks in Naruto series is similar to what he looks like in the Kabuki play. They way he talks is also from Kabuki.

綱手
Tsunade

In the Jiraiya story, Tsunade is his wife, who also uses the snail magic.

大蛇丸
Orochimaru

Orochimaru was the name of the enemy, who fought against Jiraiya and Tsunade. But here's also more to its name.

His name in Kanji 大蛇 literally says Big Snake. Maru part is to make it sound more like a name. This kanji also be pronounced as Daija. Daija is more often used when saying a big snake in real life. So, it’s natural for him to summon snakes... no brainer.

There's a lot on orochimaru's story of this big snake with 8 heads, but its really very long.
So hope this helps. Heavy reference from a website. ^_-
PinkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 12:09   Link #7
ShikaShika
無罪

Kiba doesn't mean horse, it means fang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiokie
It was either Ino or Shikamaru which transtalted to field. Correct me if Im wrong.
Well Shikamaru doesn't really mean anything. Shika means deer and maru is the male suffix we've already discussed in another thread.

However the verb shikameru means "to frown".
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 12:24   Link #8
Palani
///_^

I've got a few

Kurenai: Deep Red, Her eyes no doubt

Hinata: Sunny Place, Let the sun shine

Konohamaru: Leaf + Male suffix, he has explained it himself.

BTW Tsunade: Mooring Rope, WTF does that mean

Name Translating DIY: http://www.trussel.com/f_nih.htm
Palani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 12:25   Link #9
Kisame Hoshigaki

Uzumaki means whirldpool, i think uchiha has something to do with a fan.
Kisame Hoshigaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 12:29   Link #10
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
err... we can figure out the meanings of the names from fansites... ... ... what are we discussing exactly? if they fit that character?
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 12:31   Link #11
Muad'Dib
The Burninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palani
BTW Tsunade: Mooring Rope, WTF does that mean
A mooring rope is a rope with which you moor a sea-faring vessel to a dock.
Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 12:31   Link #12
Palani
///_^

I figured that out, I just don't get what it has to do with with her.
Palani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 12:36   Link #13
PinkSpider
先輩

To add to akamaru's reply on shikamaru, his full name is
Nara Shikamaru

Nara is a prefecture in Japan. 奈良県 (Nara prefecture) is famous for 鹿 (Shika, deers) that bows for snacks. Yep, there is a park which sells deer snacks for the public to feed. Very fun! Young deers are cute but very violent. -_-

Oh, yah, since shika is deer and maru means a boy's name, then Nara simply epitomize the deer part. ^^ (but haven't seen shikamaru with deer yet...only know his father deals with it...)

And the Hyuga clan is 日向 for kanji, a sunny city in the southern part of Japan and even has palm trees! So this makes Hinata very sunny!
Old 2004-04-15, 12:36   Link #14
Inn3rchild
Child Forever

Send a message via ICQ to Inn3rchild Send a message via AIM to Inn3rchild Send a message via MSN to Inn3rchild Send a message via Yahoo to Inn3rchild
Yeh, Uchiha means Fan
Gekkou - Moonlight
Hayate - Hurricane
Inn3rchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 12:54   Link #15
PinkSpider
先輩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inn3rchild
Yeh, Uchiha means Fan
Gekkou - Moonlight
Hayate - Hurricane
(adapted this from website)
Sasuke is taken from a famous Ninja, 猿飛佐助 (Sarutobi Sasuke). Sarutobi Sasuke was a very good Ninja, though some believes he wasn't a real one. The name, Sasuke itself gives the idea of him being a skilled Nija.

Own research:
Sasuke is the story of a ninja child that starts right after the battle of Sekigahara where Tokugawa Ieyasu becomes shogun of Japan. Sarutobi Sasuke (Jump Like Monkey Sasuke) was a famous ninja in the employ of Sanada Daisuke who fought for the losing side against Ieyasu. He was believed to have committed suicide when he was trapped in a castle, but the story takes off that he really escaped and that Sarutobi is not a name of a ninja but a whole ninja clan

sasuke -> sounds like tasuke which means help. Yet, if it is sazukeru (verb) it means give or grant.

Old 2004-04-15, 13:08   Link #16
rEkKaShInObI
LiFe Of ReVeNgE

Send a message via AIM to rEkKaShInObI Send a message via Yahoo to rEkKaShInObI
does it really matter what their names mean? they dont go accordance with anything.
rEkKaShInObI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 13:26   Link #17
Maxter
Boku wa Great desu! Ehehe

Sarutobi Sasuke is a legendary ninja, yes, and also a character in the anime Samurai Deeper Kyo.

Orochi was, according to legends, a huge 9-headed snake.

Most other names doesn't really make any sense unless you learn their kanjis and stuff.
Maxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 13:35   Link #18
Bloodstainsfade
Despised

Send a message via AIM to Bloodstainsfade
Reason

The point of this thread, is how they relate to the character, and the meaning... Remember, words can translate differently, so before it starts no flaming...
Oh if you notice, as you noted Uzamaki means whirlpool, look at Naruto's seal if you would...
Bloodstainsfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 13:48   Link #19
PinkSpider
先輩

Oh 9 headed? I thought it was 8-headed since the Orochi i can find is 八岐大蛇(Yamata-no-Orochi). Yamata-no-Orochi is a big snake (or rather a dragon) with eight heads. The Yamata in Kanji means eight branches. This snake appears in 日本神話 (Nihon Shinwa, Japanese mythology), which contains several stories about the creation of Japan, and about Gods who created and lived in Japan.

Very reduced version of the myth:
The Snake was finally killed by a guy named Sasanouno Mikoto and he found a sword (which is called the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi) inside it.(This is the sword Orochimaru used to penetrate the 3rd Hokage from his back to his chest.)
This sword is real, the Imperial family of Japan owns them. How the sword got its name? This is another mythology. ^_-

Edit: Actually while researching I found a lot of deep and good meanings behind each character's name and I thought it does shows that Kishimoto has a vast knowledge of Kabuki, Noh, Mythology and Ninja history before he releases Naruto.
Old 2004-04-15, 15:11   Link #20
UchihaNick
Peacemaker

doesnt make any sense, tsunami is a big tidal wave right? but it could have something to do with her giant ( overwhelming? ) strength, but that is just a guess

btw this has been done before i think, anyways www.narutoguide.com or something explains a lot
UchihaNick is offline   Reply With Quote