AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2011-03-09, 14:10   Link #7901
madmac

Quote:
So not only was Athena demoted in body, she was demoted in status as well. How sad...
It's the price she had to pay for coming back so quickly.

Honestly, I'd rather Hata had kept her out of the picture until he was ready to actually do something with her, but oh well. Given the timing with the popularity poll it may not have been entirely his decision.

Alice is worth a chuckle from time to time, at least, even though so far her moving in has been about as eventful as it has for Hina--good for throwing in bits of fanservice and/or comedy to keep their respective fans happy, but that's about it.

Athena will get her body back around the end of August in story, which is basically forever from now, so we might as well get used to it.

I'm not complaining, exactly. Hina and Alice have made pretty good gag characters so far as tenants and help liven up the new mansion a bit. It's just that compared to Chiharu basically jumping from neglected side character to new main character, their inclusion feels a little random.

Last edited by madmac; 2011-03-09 at 14:26.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-09, 20:18   Link #7902
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
It's the price she had to pay for coming back so quickly.

Honestly, I'd rather Hata had kept her out of the picture until he was ready to actually do something with her, but oh well. Given the timing with the popularity poll it may not have been entirely his decision.

Alice is worth a chuckle from time to time, at least, even though so far her moving in has been about as eventful as it has for Hina--good for throwing in bits of fanservice and/or comedy to keep their respective fans happy, but that's about it.

Athena will get her body back around the end of August in story, which is basically forever from now, so we might as well get used to it.

I'm not complaining, exactly. Hina and Alice have made pretty good gag characters so far as tenants and help liven up the new mansion a bit. It's just that compared to Chiharu basically jumping from neglected side character to new main character, their inclusion feels a little random.
It probably wasn't his decision at all. The execs probably saw which way the wind was blowing and forced him to write Alice into the story.
The only good thing is for the fans of the pairing, Athena x Hayate has basically been killed for the next three months of story.
Which, honestly, may have been Hata getting back at them for ordering him to give her opportunity to return to be part of the harem at the end of the Athens/Golden Week arcs.

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-09, 23:14   Link #7903
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
It probably wasn't his decision at all. The execs probably saw which way the wind was blowing and forced him to write Alice into the story.
The only good thing is for the fans of the pairing, Athena x Hayate has basically been killed for the next three months of story.
Which, honestly, may have been Hata getting back at them for ordering him to give her opportunity to return to be part of the harem at the end of the Athens/Golden Week arcs.
"Return to be part of the harem"? Athena was originally above the harem. Hayate clearly loved Athena and she loved him back.

It's only now that Hayate thinks he was rejected by her that Athena is now part of the harem, because now Hayate will be clueless toward her advances.

It's also not so much that Athena's return was rushed as her reappearance as Alice. Athena told her butler that she would return to Japan. There is also some foreshadowing for Hayate's brother's involvement, since he was the one who rescued Athena 10 years ago and was the guy in the torn photo that Yozora took turned Luka's concert. Athena also mentioned Hayate's brother again when she snuck into the apartment.

Athena turning into Alice however, which had little to no buildup at all. It's as if Hata turned her into an amnesiac loli just to postpone her subplot.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 01:46   Link #7904
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
"Return to be part of the harem"? Athena was originally above the harem. Hayate clearly loved Athena and she loved him back.
It's only now that Hayate thinks he was rejected by her that Athena is now part of the harem, because now Hayate will be clueless toward her advances.
Whether she had Hayate's affection or not does not matter, she was part of the harem as soon as she admitted her affection for him, just the same as Isumi being part of the harem.

Quote:
It's also not so much that Athena's return was rushed as her reappearance as Alice. Athena told her butler that she would return to Japan.
Since her return was not even hinted at before, I question whether Hata had any plans at all to have her return to the story after the Athens arc. It wasn't until the next chapter that there was the slightest hint of her doing so.
Mikado was already the major villain, Hayate already had quite a stable of girls as his harem, there was no place new for her to have turned until it was given to her when she revealed herself to be playing mind-games (before the inclusion of Athena as a chessmaster, the closest member had been Miki), which wasn't until Machina's statement in the chapter after.

Quote:
There is also some foreshadowing for Hayate's brother's involvement, since he was the one who rescued Athena 10 years ago and was the guy in the torn photo that Yozora took turned Luka's concert. Athena also mentioned Hayate's brother again when she snuck into the apartment.
This has some connection to Athena how?
Ikusa has not needed Athena's intervention to interfere in the story so far, and no relationship has been implied between them, except by fans, most of which is laughing at Athena fans I believe. And there is little to implicate that it was actually Ikusa in the photo.

Quote:
Athena turning into Alice however, which had little to no buildup at all. It's as if Hata turned her into an amnesiac loli just to postpone her subplot.
Given that there's hints that this is not the first, or possibly even second time it's happened, 'Alice's introduction has had significant impact on the plot. Not in the way that Athena-shippers wanted though.

... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.

Last edited by Bastion_Arcion; 2011-03-10 at 12:37.
Old 2011-03-10, 08:22   Link #7905
AnimeFangirl

Wow, we moved forward a grand total of 1 day. Another 10 chapters happening on May 31st, coming right up!
Old 2011-03-10, 09:07   Link #7906
madmac

Quote:
Wow, we moved forward a grand total of 1 day. Another 10 chapters happening on May 31st, coming right up!
What are you talking about? The Convention Chiharu and Nagi went to was on May 22nd. We've gone 9 days since then in about 10-11 chapters. For this manga, that's actually quite fast.

The Flashforward way back in Chapter 268 takes place on June 12th. That's only 12 days away now.
Old 2011-03-10, 10:29   Link #7907
Shadow5YA

Gee, Luka's background sounds familiar.

Her apartment room is also fairly empty, so she could move into Nagi's apartment with little hassle if necessary too.
Old 2011-03-10, 12:39   Link #7908
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
What are you talking about? The Convention Chiharu and Nagi went to was on May 22nd. We've gone 9 days since then in about 10-11 chapters. For this manga, that's actually quite fast.

The Flashforward way back in Chapter 268 takes place on June 12th. That's only 12 days away now.
I believe in the next (read: untranslated) chapter, it states that it's only been one day since, and given how slowly things happen in this manga..

Old 2011-03-10, 13:02   Link #7909
madmac

Quote:
I believe in the next (read: untranslated) chapter, it states that it's only been one day since, and given how slowly things happen in this manga..
Please read Chapter 311 before trying to argue with me. It specifically states that it (Or the second half, anyway) takes place on May 31st. 31-22=9.
Old 2011-03-10, 13:46   Link #7910
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Please read Chapter 311 before trying to argue with me. It specifically states that it (Or the second half, anyway) takes place on May 31st. 31-22=9.
I have, from a translator's own page

Quote:
Come on…!!
Why am I always ending up cross-dressing…?!

Come to think of it…
The same thing happened just last Saturday…
http://mangahelpers.com/t/hidden-det...releases/28290

Hayate states it's been less than a week.

Also, I was clearly the statement I'd made on a comment I'd read, not the translation.
And I wasn't arguing, I was clearly agreeing with the slow pace. I messed up the days/weeks though.

Old 2011-03-10, 13:58   Link #7911
madmac

Quote:
Hayate states it's been less than a week.
It also says:

Box: May 30th (Monday)

And

Box: May 31st (Tuesday), dusk ——

We also know that Hayate met Luca on Sunday, May 22nd, because again, we were given an exact date at the time.

There's no need to muck around with vague (And incorrect, Hayate met Luca on a Sunday, not a Saturday) statements when we have precise figures to work with. That's just silly.
Old 2011-03-10, 14:07   Link #7912
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
It also says:

Box: May 30th (Monday)

And

Box: May 31st (Tuesday), dusk ——

We also know that Hayate met Luca on Sunday, May 22nd, because again, we were given an exact date at the time.

There's no need to muck around with vague (And incorrect, Hayate met Luca on a Sunday, not a Saturday) statements when we have precise figures to work with. That's just silly.
Hayate isn't talking about meeting Luca, he's talking about having dressed up. Isn't it possible that he dressed up the day 'before' he met Luca as well, and that's what he's talking about? Con's do tend to set aside several days.
And we know from the failed 'mystery' chapter that we're not always told the correct facts either.

Old 2011-03-10, 19:32   Link #7913
Fandal

Can someone here fill the rest of this out?

Rich Childhood: Nagi, Izumi, Isumi, Athena, Risa, Miki
Normal Childhood: Ayumu
Poor Childhood: Hayate, Hina
Fandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 19:37   Link #7914
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandal View Post

Poor Childhood: Hayate, Hina, Luka
Added Luka in after the release of ch311.
Old 2011-03-10, 19:37   Link #7915
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandal View Post

Poor Childhood: Hayate, Hina
Not sure who else fits really, but two that I know are Maria: Rich Childhood, and Ikusa: Poor Childhood.
I think Hinagiku fits the 'Normal' better though, since it was depicted as a rather normal childhood (and her hairstyle is not one that a poor family would have been able to support her having), and she hadn't had to deal with the debt, and then her foster parents are said to be rich, but it seems to be a more 'normal' lifestyle, similar to Ayumu's than to any of the others.

Old 2011-03-10, 20:35   Link #7916
AnimeFangirl

Hina had a brief period of poverty after her parents ran off (she even refers to it in chapter 310), but yeah, normal childhood.

(and wtf, three sets of runaway parents in the same manga? Parent issues much, Hata?)
Old 2011-03-10, 20:55   Link #7917
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
Hina had a brief period of poverty after her parents ran off (she even refers to it in chapter 310), but yeah, normal childhood.

(and wtf, three sets of runaway parents in the same manga? Parent issues much, Hata?)
I believe she refers to her living with her parents as being depicted as such as well, the barrette and a single biscuit instead of a cake for her b-days, but her hairstyle says that they weren't that badly off.

You forget Chiharu's parents, they stuck with her quite a while longer, but they still left her after burning down their house.
Isumi and Sakuya may still have their families, but they don't do much better than having not been there at all.
Parental Abandonment is apparently large in all anime/manga according to the page there.

Old 2011-03-10, 21:42   Link #7918
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
I believe Hata has said before that he has a thing for heroes with tragic backgrounds, or something to that effect.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 22:39   Link #7919
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
I believe she refers to her living with her parents as being depicted as such as well, the barrette and a single biscuit instead of a cake for her b-days, but her hairstyle says that they weren't that badly off.

You forget Chiharu's parents, they stuck with her quite a while longer, but they still left her after burning down their house.
Isumi and Sakuya may still have their families, but they don't do much better than having not been there at all.
Parental Abandonment is apparently large in all anime/manga according to the page there.
No, Hina said that her blood parents ran off and piled the debt on her similar to Hayate's background. Hina was just adopted by another family, and that's when her normal life set in.
Old 2011-03-11, 00:28   Link #7920
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
So i got bored andgot caught up with Hayate.

This wa about 120 chapters of straight reading, from the end of the fiirst End of The World arc till now. My impression on character develpment:

Nagi's mom is someone I fiind tbe the most mysterous characte in the manga.

Izumi is mych like Nagi' s mom and s an allaround fun character.

Hinagiku needs to gve up, she was mryr favorite character befoe teh readng, but it doesnt seem hayate will ever "get it" and she repeats the same things oer and over when thee is ossibility fo elationship progress.

I wasnt sureabout athena, but she won me oer inthe Agean sea arc. I dont thinkshe will get a long term relationship with hayate though, she is actually tooo pefectand right now hed go to jail..........

Luka or Luca has already aulted to the top of the list of favorite characters and not just because of relatonship possibities, since I am strongly considering her to be related to hayate possbly. Its just, mabe even more so than hayate, she eeems to be a greater sympathetc figure. what ime thinking is that shes had it as bad or wose than hayate, but unlike him, she wasnt saved and tried to manage that herself.Thats wher i think this is headed.

EDIT: I am bad wth this keyboad and didnt bother proofreading, but everyone should understand me.

Last edited by alu546; 2011-03-12 at 04:00.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen