AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-25, 20:32   Link #1081
Xander

You know, it sounds like they could simply make an entire episode that covers whatever the Hero did in the Demon realm for the BD/DVD release.

That seems to be a popular marketing tactic these days, no? Even Spice and Wolf had a couple of disc-only episodes (one per season).

But as a non-manga reader and anime-only viewer...the latest episode had some very good scenes that tried, and mostly succeeded, at developing the characters a little more. The Merchant, in particular, came across as closer to grey than black, in terms of moral attitude, which is an improvement over his introduction. Not sure if I like the Hero's inability to act on his feelings for Maou, but that's becoming a given by this point. I did like how they addressed his teleportation powers though.

However, I still think having so many time skips isn't a good idea. The Female Knight's arrival was taken for granted and came across as a little too sudden, though I definitely enjoyed her interactions. I suppose the series won't be able to escape that particular problem, but at least the actual content remains interesting enough.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 21:04   Link #1082
zRichard

The time skips were bound to happen considering the scope of the story. You can't change the world in a few months.
Old 2013-01-25, 21:12   Link #1083
Elestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRichard View Post
I've read the manga as well. But I believe the anime is doing a pretty excellent job with its own interpretation of the Light Novel.

Apart from the rushed pacing, Anime-only viewers won't understand much of what you are talking about.
While there were scenes that were adapted well, however, much of the economic, social, and political elements were handled poorly even if I judged it solely by it's own merits. As Kanon stated, the scenes were dry, dull and uninspired to the point it was quite tedious to listen to. I kind of zoned out when Young Merchant and Crimson Scholar were negotiating and the scene with Grampa Archer and Winter Prince felt the same.
Old 2013-01-25, 21:22   Link #1084
MAX_COLA_POWER!

You know? I take back anything bad I said about Female Knight, she's just too hilarious>v<. In fact, I propose a name change: Female Berserkavalier, because every time Hero's not around, she reacts like a steroid-filled athlete asking for some Gatorade. *empty barrel*who drank ALL THE DAMN GATORADE!?*smash*DAMMIT!
Old 2013-01-25, 21:26   Link #1085
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I think I understand what's going on here.

There's a lot of cutesy "feel-good" sappiness that kinda takes away the tension, as both our protagonists don't really encounter any (elaborate) resistance to their ideas and it's just Savior Crop of the Week so far. It's already kind of jarring from the implied cultural stubbornness seen from the first two episodes.

They've violated Show Don't Tell with that little Hero montage. I was actually surprised when I saw it was 12 episodes only.

Now that I think about it, it was a huge mistake not to see Demon vs. Human armies clashing in the very first episode, as that sets the conflict in a huge engaging manner instead of just Hero blabbing on about how the Demons are so (justifiably) horrific when all the demons we see are just this cute girl. There's no CONTRAST, that's why the first meeting between them seems to lack any impact.

They try to set this up as some kind of tragedy and gradual acceptance of each races when the viewers don't really see any huge conflict.
Ok, first let me point out that the seires is primarly a comedy of an absurdist humor bent, the intro of the LN even points it out that the story starts at the climax of an adventure story where both the Hero and Villian say screw it and go fix the world. It never realy takes itself too siorusly. Realy they haven't focused on anything that is a threat to anyones power base yet barring the merchents and they backed down once they saw there was more to gain in working with her then killing her.

As for the show don't tell bit the way the LN is writen it is very much like a radio play where a lot of events are relayed in conversations, For example:
Quote:
----Stables

???: “................................................”

Hero: (There’s human auras?)

Maou: “Wait a moment, light spell...” Lights up

Big sister: Shiverng

Little sister: ’Shaking uncontrollably

Hero: “....what? It’s children?”

Maou: “What is it? You’re just wearing underclothes!”

Clack

Chief Maid: “Oh, what is going on?”

Maou: “Chief Maid.”

Chief Maid: “They become lost and snuck in here again. Ha....”
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 21:51   Link #1086
Elestia

Oh right. Before I forget, I have the closeup shot of Grand Princess Fire Dragon that was introduced during the brief flashback.

Old 2013-01-25, 22:00   Link #1087
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

red queen getting makeover by the head maid & sis maids to help her to with meet on alliance members give offer them corn & her "reasons".

after hmm wonder if probs give ghost & guard on stand-by all went well give blonde hair purple flower alliance ever tried to ask date red queen while the blue hero give fake letter adventures while hiding under the couch.

give blue hero mention being chased by harpy girls, slime girl, & SUPER SIZE cow girl http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/otanews/i...3093ded4-s.jpg yet head maid seem wonder way get the blue & red together.

also seem battle might come & yellow knight doing some drill sarge works had talk with big sis maid how it going give bis sis maid doing well wonder am i human?
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 22:31   Link #1088
HandofFate

Enjoyed the negotiation talk. The timeskip every episode is kind of heavy...

Yuusha's uneasiness is kind of understanding, but wish it was expressed better with more development instead of him pretty much just monologuing it for us.

Knight was funny.
Old 2013-01-25, 22:32   Link #1089
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Ok, first let me point out that the seires is primarly a comedy of an absurdist humor bent, the intro of the LN even points it out that the story starts at the climax of an adventure story where both the Hero and Villian say screw it and go fix the world. It never realy takes itself too siorusly.

Well, that certainly puts the anime on a different perspective for me. At first I thought that this was a serious anime, since it dealt with themes such as slavery, starvation and wars... but as the episodes went by there just wasn't any tension. In fact, lately I feel that the anime was putting too much focus on Maou's... err.. assets. And getting her embarassed as often as possible.
If the original material doesn't take itself too seriously, then I suppose I've been looking at the anime wrong... which explains why I've been a bit disappointed.

Came in expecting tension, war and backroom politics. Guess I'll stay for ... erm... humor? And economy lessons.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 22:46   Link #1090
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Hmmm i don't know why but the Anime started giving me an idea about the Demon king...

Not sure if it iss save to post it here as long as there is no own sub forum though... oO
And yes its a theory based on anime only.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 23:14   Link #1091
Theo

Quote:
Ok, first let me point out that the seires is primarly a comedy of an absurdist humor bent, the intro of the LN even points it out that the story starts at the climax of an adventure story where both the Hero and Villian say screw it and go fix the world. It never realy takes itself too siorusly. Realy they haven't focused on anything that is a threat to anyones power base yet barring the merchents and they backed down once they saw there was more to gain in working with her then killing her.
I'm not complaining about the comedy or the romance's existence, but the world presented here doesn't feel "alive" as the anime wants you to believe, nor do the characters. Regardless of the novels, the anime clearly wants the viewer to believe this is a living, breathing universe based on art detail and the serious take on themes of starvation, war profiteering, and macroeconomics.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 00:16   Link #1092
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

From the chapters I have seen and the comments I have read so far I think it is plain to see this show is made on a shoestring budget, which is fine with some kind of animes that can pull it mainly with the talent of the voice actors, but the scope of this tale has some grandeur that the actual animation time cannot convey.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 01:25   Link #1093
GundamZZ
残念美人

That cowgirl is so scary. She almost kiled yuusha.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 03:59   Link #1094
Doria

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Yuusha's uneasiness is kind of understanding, but wish it was expressed better with more development instead of him pretty much just monologuing it for us.
It was a little vague to me, though I did like them fleshing out his character. There's a line in the original that specifically explains that he's concerned about his death because he assumes that--as a human--he'll die before Maou (I guess demons are longer lived). Cutting that line made his reasoning seem a little morbid, rather than grounded in a specific reality.

As Theo pointed out above, it doesn't help that the only demon we've actually interacted with in the series is so human, I actually forgot she wasn't human *despite* her name!

Animating some of his adventures in this episode would have been a better narrative choice in a lot of ways, but speculation about the budget is probably correct. I mean, I'm sure they would have loved to have the fights animated, too... But with 12 eps, some things have to go, I guess. Oddly, I believe the author's next work is getting 26 eps.
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 04:32   Link #1095
s07195
However,

Sigh... I don't know what to feel about this episode. For one thing, it's now clear that they'll try and finish a large part of the story in 12 episodes. The pacing is way too fast. This is probably the first anime episode I've watched that I've truly felt was... subpar, even from an objective point of view.

The opening and ending is keeping me going, though. Any news on release dates?

EDIT: After rewatching it, I thought some scenes weren't too bad. There was some tension throughout the negotiation, for example.

Last edited by s07195; 2013-01-26 at 04:43.
s07195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 10:06   Link #1096
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

There's a lot going on in this show. 12 eps isn't going to do. Guess we'll see if a second (or more) season will be announced.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 11:23   Link #1097
XFire
150% done

Hopefully they'll do the next episode about the last six months from Hero's perspective.
Old 2013-01-26, 11:32   Link #1098
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Hopefully they'll do the next episode about the last six months from Hero's perspective.
I seconded that as well. I hope to see Hero rescuing the Fairy Queen, dueling Archduke Fire Dragon and getting the attention of Grand Princess Fire Dragon.

I hope all those rumors or guesses that the show will fit the whole story in one season is hogwash and they can do the whole thing in two seasons.
Old 2013-01-26, 15:27   Link #1099
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
You know? I take back anything bad I said about Female Knight, she's just too hilarious>v<. In fact, I propose a name change: Female Berserkavalier, because every time Hero's not around, she reacts like a steroid-filled athlete asking for some Gatorade. *empty barrel*who drank ALL THE DAMN GATORADE!?*smash*DAMMIT!
One Female Knight bit i wish they had kept was why she cut the sword. The 3 were balking at being trained by a woman.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 16:13   Link #1100
XFire
150% done

Quote:
One Female Knight bit i wish they had kept was why she cut the sword. The 3 were balking at being trained by a woman.
They also cut the part about her nicknames: "Knight of the demon mask", "Superhuman Princess", and "Female Assassin of the Stone-Wall".

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem