Originally Posted by Keitaro
Just seen episode 14

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
whyrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 14:36   Link #282
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

I was hoping there'd be some connection to the sea cucumbers in that episode and with Tanabe. Oh well, maybe later...

Spoiler:
Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 14:48   Link #283
CelestiaLegends

Episode 15 was great wierd that nobody posted about it yet...
CelestiaLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 15:33   Link #284
ApoLLon
yondaime is da spirit!!!

i think episode 15 is so so
ApoLLon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 15:47   Link #285
DemonEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestiaLegends
Episode 15 was great wierd that nobody posted about it yet...

Ep 15 was, as you wrote, great. This serie feels more mature, and I really like how things are going.
DemonEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 23:45   Link #286
goldenthal

I think Ep 15 is one of the more mature ones yet. At least, the character development is still there. like how one can respond to kindness.

Do you guys wonder if there is a central theme like : The developed countries vs the developed ones?

or those in the lowly jobs should always be inferior to the more prestigious jobs?

Anyway, I have no idea how this series will end. Hopefully, the creator will not pull a Cowboy Bebop on us and had a major character killed off.
goldenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 23:52   Link #287
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

The manga just ended in Japan, right? Wonder if the series will end the same way the manga does. It's slowly following the manga's storyline, just at an incredibly relaxed pace.
Old 2004-03-04, 00:22   Link #288
stpehen
kisses for all

I haven't read volume 4 yet or (obviously) seen the end of the anime, so I don't know if they end the same. But v4 is definitely the end for the manga. According to some online rumors it's only the end of "Part One" which is almost always just a crueler way of saying "The End," but I suppose that means it isn't inconceivable that Yukimura might return to it again.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-05, 18:28   Link #289
ApoLLon
yondaime is da spirit!!!

i just watched ep 16, IMO its better than ep 15, i liked that von braun thing how boosted hachimaki.
ApoLLon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-05, 18:43   Link #290
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

OK 15 & 16 both great episodes, Its good to see the Anime starting to touch on some of the major issues of the manga series. They are also doing some very interesting things with the background characters, I'm impressed!
Spoilers
Spoiler:

I wonder if there is enough material left in Vol 3 & 4 of the manga for another season........ (its that good )
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-05, 21:33   Link #291
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

I would put the manga as great but I would not put this anime series as great (good would be a better rating). The manga gave me high expectations that the anime failed to fulfill.

I had written this up much earlier on 8 Febuary after watching ep16 (Chinese fansubs, ep 20 just released). I did not post then as I felt it was too discourteous (too way ahead) and would have spoilt the topic then.

• Manga
    Hachimaki has this dream of owning his own spaceship. He however knows with his own limitations (academic qualifications), he is not going to be able to get a high paying job. With his love of space, he already plotted the next best course. Qualify as one of the pioneer crew of the First Jupiter Expedition and return. Once doing so, he will be famous and get earn big mullah from endorsements.

In the course of pursuing his dreams, he never forgot about qualifying for the Jupiter expedition. But he had gradually lost hope and needed the kick start from his subconciousness during the phobia recovery to remind himself to constantly upgrade to do so. In doing so, he qualified...

One can see Hachimaki as a guy with a dream and the motivation to do so. Strong will and perseverance is enough to get your dream if there is a realistic route to do so. I can sympathize with this fellow.
  • Anime
    Hachimaki has only the dream. He has no idea on how to do it. He lounges around complaining but never find any way to fulfill it. Note: the Jupiter project is already commencing quite a few episodes back. Instead he is simply content with his current position. At the end of this episode where he recovered from the phobia, there is no indication of what he is going to do.

Only later does he decide to go on the Jupiter Expedition but with that portrayal & the situations the anime crew constantly conspire put him in, they try to make you feel that Hachimaki got the rawest of deals and imbue him with the underdog theme. But I feel this was way, way overdone such that I actually despise their manipulations of us.

This Hachimaki is a sad fella. There is no way I empathize with this guy. With Hachi being the lead, his dream is the series goal. With no device to push him to realize the goal, the series lacked an overall objective. Even though his goal was asserted in episode 17 onwards, the side stories distracted too much for it to be the series' goal.
The good thing is that the series managed to get mileage out from the good supporting cast. However in my opinion, that does not cover up for Hachi's poor coverage and the series' feel of a rudderless ship.

And I got a beef with Tanabe's simplistic love-spouting character as well (the manga's Tanabe was actually interesting and deep).

The series is now up to episode 20 which has none of the manga material in it. I can state that they have deviated too much from the manga now. I do not think they will put much of the materials in vol 3 & 4 of the manga into the anime now.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 00:28   Link #292
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurumaru
OK 15 & 16 both great episodes, Its good to see the Anime starting to touch on some of the major issues of the manga series. They are also doing some very interesting things with the background characters, I'm impressed!
Spoilers
Spoiler:

I wonder if there is enough material left in Vol 3 & 4 of the manga for another season........ (its that good )
Haha, I thought the same thing about those ninja. That's what they get for being in the series' dumbest episode. :P

And yebyosh, I find the manga and anime to different enough that they stand firm with their own sets of positive traits. As the show progresses, I'm finding it harder and harder to compare the two as they're so different in their approach.

I will say I find the anime Tanabe to be much more developed than the manga Tanabe, if for no other reason than she's a main character from the get-go. In the manga, she's just sort of a self-righteous tree hugger (who likes sea cucumbers). She struck me as a bit more realistic and believable in the anime, all the while still maintaining the principles she professed from the manga.

And I guess she still likes sea cucumbers.

*Edit* I also find it harder and harder to see how they can wrap this show up in 26 episodes. Maybe they did plan on having a second season all along. How're the ratings for this show in Japan? I thought I read somewhere that it was doing pretty good.

Last edited by Ballz; 2004-03-06 at 00:53.
Old 2004-03-06, 01:42   Link #293
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz
Haha, I thought the same thing about those ninja. That's what they get for being in the series' dumbest episode. :P
I would have to say one of the things that bring down the series for me is the ninja otaku group. (The worst thing about the anime is the two Debris Section managers).

Quote:
I will say I find the anime Tanabe to be much more developed than the manga Tanabe, if for no other reason than she's a main character from the get-go. In the manga, she's just sort of a self-righteous tree hugger (who likes sea cucumbers). She struck me as a bit more realistic and believable in the anime, all the while still maintaining the principles she professed from the manga.
Have you read Volume 3 or Tanabe's history & family? If you had read it, you might have a different perception of Tanabe's character. As for the anime's Tanabe, I found her not as to be so developed. I believe the more appropriate term for such a personality/character is ditz...

Quote:
And yebyosh, I find the manga and anime to different enough that they stand firm with their own sets of positive traits. As the show progresses, I'm finding it harder and harder to compare the two as they're so different in their approach.
I did say the anime is good, no? I just don't find it great so as to speak. We can compare the two since the anime is an adaptation of the manga.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 20:23   Link #294
RebootEDC
Kiero mi Hanime Gratix™

Send a message via MSN to RebootEDC Send a message via Yahoo to RebootEDC
What I can't stand about this anime is the unstandabily releasing rate it's got... I mean, I can't stand a bi-weekly release with such a good anime !!!
OMG !! I can't stand the wait for the next episode !!!!!
BUAHAhahahahhahah....
I hope it doesn't get licensed until it's finished !! (like Maburaho) I really need to finish it in a reasonable period of time !!

Proudly enjoying Hanime Gratix™ since 2003
RebootEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 20:49   Link #295
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

This series goes better and better, epsecially after episode 16. it goes darker from there too.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-08, 10:08   Link #296
RebootEDC
Kiero mi Hanime Gratix™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
This series goes better and better, epsecially after episode 16. it goes darker from there too.
darker ??
What do you mean? You mean another Kimi-ga-nozomu-eien-syndrome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballz
*Edit* I also find it harder and harder to see how they can wrap this show up in 26 episodes. Maybe they did plan on having a second season all along. How're the ratings for this show in Japan? I thought I read somewhere that it was doing pretty good.
May God hear you !!
About the ratings... well, Kimi ga nozomu eien is still the number #1 in animenfo rating chart (I still don't know how the fans are rating so much that anime...) and Planetes is far far away (in a galaxy far far away )
So people, let's review Planetes on animenfo.... Let's go for the #1 !!!

Old 2004-03-08, 10:49   Link #297
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
darker ??
What do you mean? You mean another Kimi-ga-nozomu-eien-syndrome?
errr... I never consider KGNE to be "dark"...

by darker I mean the theme goes heavier and it gets to some morally unresolvable issues... like dreams and selfishness...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-08, 14:37   Link #298
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Heh, things get a whole lot more interesting when you get to episode 21, which just aired a few days ago.

Which reminds me, I need to update my Nono-chan avatar.
Old 2004-03-09, 02:10   Link #299
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

Ep 16 was great, but I never thought we would get to see Hachimaki like that
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 10:12   Link #300
RebootEDC
Kiero mi Hanime Gratix™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
errr... I never consider KGNE to be "dark"...

by darker I mean the theme goes heavier and it gets to some morally unresolvable issues... like dreams and selfishness...
Ahhh !! Ok then. So it seems it's going to get even more interesting... cool !!! ^^
KGNE may be considered "dark", depending your point of view. I personally consider it "dark" in the way the obsessions that the charaters have are so deep and irritating to the viewer.