AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-06-06, 15:52   Link #21
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
mature sexy woman for once, /me like
also I like the detective anime (<-- huge fan of Conan) so it is a plus
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 11:58   Link #22
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I haven't read the manga, so I'm just wondering. Are there supposed to be gun-tottling loli maids? You make it sound as if they're out of place.
Marianne and Lucienne are there in the manga.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 22:11   Link #23
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Finished watching the first ep of the anime. The transition from novel/manga into anime wasn't great. It's serviceable but I think it loses a lot of the personality present in the written versions. The voices they chose were good but the animation is pretty poor and that kind of hurts it especially with Ryoko being such a vivacious character and the anime looks bland.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 06:58   Link #24
herbert

I agree the portrait of Ryoko's character should be done better, but I'm quite fine with the animation. But I never hope they can draw Ryoko as gorgeously as she is described in novels in the first place, so...

The first episode is much fast paced than I thought would be. I literally held my breath through the whole time. I think the anime is set after all published novels helps a lot. It's entertaining for novel readers like me since we have no idea what will happen (aside Ryoko's victory), but it would be quite troublesome for non-novel-readers as they talk a lot about novel contents.

Btw, am I only one find the reference to Yoshiki Tanaka funny?
Old 2008-07-06, 14:24   Link #25
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This could be fun. I haven't read the novels, but I thought Nabatame Hitomi was beyond wonderful as Ryouko. We don't know much about her yet, but a lot of power is simmering beneath the surface.

The animation was just fine, as far as I was concerned. My only worry was that the plot was developing too slowly, but I got over it.

I definitely did not realize it was Kuwashima Houko playing the other investigator. Good job there, too. And Kiuchi Hidenobu (Hei in Darker than Black, Ren in NANA) was note-perfect as Ryouko's Dr. Watson, I thought.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 01:16   Link #26
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta View Post
I don't recall in the novels but my skills at imagining characters when reading Japanese text is kind of bad. Undertaker might know better.

They are in the novel, they were introduced in the third book [the one that took place in Paris] then became regular supporting characters. Both are Ryoko's personal maids, one is extremely porficient in arms & weapon, the other in tech genius and a world class hacker. They were introduced realier in manga without names as the online pal with that Hong Kong-crazed female officer that worked under Ryoko (can't remeber her name) [This was reavel later in the novel, but manga moved this reference up]

BTW manga is definitly worth checking it out, since the artist for the manga also draws the cover and mid-page illustration for the novel. Her name is Narumi Kakinouchi most people might known her for her prior work, Vampire Princess Miyu and Vampire Princess Yui. There is also an artbook avalible called "Flawless - Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo" definitely worth to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
I agree the portrait of Ryoko's character should be done better, but I'm quite fine with the animation. But I never hope they can draw Ryoko as gorgeously as she is described in novels in the first place, so...

The first episode is much fast paced than I thought would be. I literally held my breath through the whole time. I think the anime is set after all published novels helps a lot. It's entertaining for novel readers like me since we have no idea what will happen (aside Ryoko's victory), but it would be quite troublesome for non-novel-readers as they talk a lot about novel contents.

Btw, am I only one find the reference to Yoshiki Tanaka funny?

Interesting, I don't have the access for RAW, so I can only wait for the fan-sub. sounds to me the TV is original script than?

That would be pretty cool too, instead of the possibility of ruin Tanaka's work.

I find Narumi to be the perfect artist for drawing character like Ryoko and so far I found her doing an awsome job in both the novel and manga. Don't know how it'll translate into anime, and it sound like the animation is a little of a let down, but the pictures on it website doesn't look that bad so I keeping my finger crossed.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 13:17   Link #27
lavarock
Busy wasting my time..:-(

The light novels are pretty good. It goes deep into the police system of Japan (and its corruption etc...).
The story themselves sometimes get a bit hollywood like (in a sense that sometime I have no idea why they go after a huge group of man/zombie/monster whatever and come out unharmed). But I guess this is good to make into an anime.

Anyway expect mature storylines and good action, also this series will be about supernature beings/story.
BTW I like the illustration of Ryouko, it's perfect fit for her.
lavarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 14:29   Link #28
kaosmos

Just watched the first episode,might be worth watching...or not,can't say anything for now.

....But can someone tell me why there is French everywhere?
(op,ed and even the spoken thing before the preview of the next episode!)

With Gankutsuou that was somewhat understandable but i don't get the point here?
Just curious...
kaosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 15:47   Link #29
Undertaker

My guess is because Paris was the setting of one of the book, and through out the whole series it was allude that Ryoko's presence and looks gives her a very French-feel [when she's not talking and bulling others, of course.] not to mention both of her personal maids are French.

Anyway, I was planning on some venting here. WHERE THE HELL are the fansubs for this series, I don't have access for RAW so I was waiting on the fansub, and I got zip for almost a week. I can't wait anymore so yesterday I went out and find the Chinese fansubs for this series [and downloaded three versions, BTW], which I don't normally do, due to the fact I Chinese fansub usually uses RVMB [Real Player Format] compare to Divx/Xvid/H264 which I loath because of the Real Player and it inability to use other players. All this is making me feels like He's My Master and Ichigo Marshmallow all over again. Both are great cult series that got ignore in U.S. until weeks later poeple find out how enjoyable they are and begins to play catchup game in subbing it. I probably shouldn't blame them like that because it is hard work to sub them, but I just needed to vent a little bit on this, sorry if I offended anyone.

Back to more pleasant topic, I really like the first episode. Its new storyline stand sperated from the novels, although since they are doing it that way, I really wish the series was slotted for 26 episodes instead of 13.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the in-jokes in this episode, from the way Ryoko uses the titles of the novel as her personal case file name to the part with Tanaka are awsome. especially the part with Tanaka, it makes it all that much better if you are his fan as he is a notorious slow writer that tease you with a book here and there on an on-going series (though he is a great writer, one of the very best on Sci-fi/fantasy in East Asia, can't since of anyone else being as popular for as long as he has). I wonder if it's really his voice though.

Ryoko and Yukiko's bickering is also spot on and capture their relationship perfectly. Also the scene where Ryoko is pouting after she found out the note Yukiko left Junichiro is just great.

As someone already pointed out, when I first heard of Ryoko's voice, I also thought she could be a bit more forceful. But as the episode went on, I find the voice is growing on me and fit Ryoko really well.

The series really do seem to be designed for people who are already the fan of the novel or the manga version with the amount of the in-joke and on-going gags and subtle relationships, although it is not too heavy to the point that it is un-watchable for people new to the series like FFVII-Advent Children. I think while newcomers to the series might find it a bit bland because they don't know the history behind it, but if they are intrige and decide to do some catch-up, then watch it again this series could go from a 7/10 to 9/10 in a heartbeat.

One tiny little complain about episode one. After Ryoko judo threw the dumb assistant on the ground and steps on him to get his boss to agree to assist the investigation, I really thought Ryoko-sama would step on the guy again and driving her heels in he back even more before releasing him, but that never happen, so I was a bit disappointed. Compassion just don't set well with Ryoko-sama. But this is just try to pick a bone in egg to an otherwise satisfying episode.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2008-07-10 at 15:59.
Old 2008-07-10, 21:44   Link #30
herbert

You know, the biggest dispoint to me is WHERE IN THE HELL IS THE POSTER OF JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER WHICH RYOKO USES AS A DARTBOARD? I have looked around her office, but there is none.
Old 2008-07-11, 03:39   Link #31
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Anyway, I was planning on some venting here. WHERE THE HELL are the fansubs for this series.
I keep logging in every day looking forward to seeing a fan sub being released and end up disappointed
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 09:21   Link #32
kujoe
from head to heel

Not enough interest in mature female characters, eh?
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 12:46   Link #33
redbible

That's the problem!

If Ryoko were loli there would be a thousand of fansubs for this show.

Little it concerns that it has good history, the only thing that it matters is that has a moedern design of characters.
redbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 13:03   Link #34
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I keep logging in every day looking forward to seeing a fan sub being released and end up disappointed
you and me both, I hate Real Player with passion (second only to Quicktime, on par with Windows Media Player) so I really don't want to have to keep downloading Chinses fansubs, despise the fact it is easier for me read the subtitle. (I know some Japanese, but not great).
Old 2008-07-11, 16:47   Link #35
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbible View Post
That's the problem!

If Ryoko were loli there would be a thousand of fansubs for this show.

Little it concerns that it has good history, the only thing that it matters is that has a moedern design of characters.
Sad, but true.

"Moedern" huh? You coined up a good word there.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 22:28   Link #36
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
you and me both, I hate Real Player with passion (second only to Quicktime, on par with Windows Media Player) so I really don't want to have to keep downloading Chinses fansubs, despise the fact it is easier for me read the subtitle. (I know some Japanese, but not great).
You can install "Real Alternative" and it allows you to use Media Player Classic or ZoomPlayer (or others, I suspect) to watch Chinese .rmvb fansubs without having to install RealPlayer at all.

I share your feelings about RealPlayer, Quicktime and WMP. I use ZoomPlayer, usually, with MPC and VLC in reserve.

As for fansubs, according to the Who Subs What wiki, Hitode-AnimeSS plans to sub this, and Infinite-Zero has tentative plans. But the point about moedern character design is well taken. Good word, redbible. I like moe personally, but many non-moe shows do seem to get short shrift.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 22:49   Link #37
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Actually, I'm not doing it. I should update the wiki.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 15:48   Link #38
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
You can install "Real Alternative" and it allows you to use Media Player Classic or ZoomPlayer (or others, I suspect) to watch Chinese .rmvb fansubs without having to install RealPlayer at all.

I share your feelings about RealPlayer, Quicktime and WMP. I use ZoomPlayer, usually, with MPC and VLC in reserve.

As for fansubs, according to the Who Subs What wiki, Hitode-AnimeSS plans to sub this, and Infinite-Zero has tentative plans. But the point about moedern character design is well taken. Good word, redbible. I like moe personally, but many non-moe shows do seem to get short shrift.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

But yeah, I hate those three players with passion, because when you install them you also install their updater, and I hate automatic updater since they don't really fix anything major that affects the playbacks anyway. Not to mention they all come with their own verson of mini-browser, who the hell uses them anyway, I use my Explorer and firefox for when I decide to go on internet. and Last but not least, they took up so much process power main for stuff most people are not gonna use anyway. Only reason they are still in my computer becuase they are needed for most streamming stuff on net.

OK, I'm done with another rant,

So Infinite-Zero is out, let's hope someone else will pick the series up, because it's really a shame that a series like this will go un-noticed when the original source was such a hit in the Asian circle and I'm seeing great response in the Chinese forums as well with multiple fansubs and well above average seeders and leechers.

UPDATE: I just went on Baka-Updates from my work PC and FINALLY there is a fansub out, it seems to be a join project bwtween AnimeOne and AnimeYuki. Will check it out once I got home.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2008-07-12 at 16:52.
Old 2008-07-12, 16:50   Link #39
Sakuya
*Artist

AonE-AnY just released the MKV version. Knowing them, it's likely they will release an AVI version later on.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 16:56   Link #40
Undertaker

AH!!!! you beat me to it, I was just updating my post since it was the last post and I don't want to double-post.

Amen to AonE and AnY.

Tags
supernatural