AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-03, 17:50   Link #21
uzumaki

Woa! You guys are all right! I need to watch the show again (it's been some 2 years since I saw the first episode). Argh! So many clues. >_<

I've heard that 20th century boys is actually better than monster. But we'll probably have to wait like 10 years before viz (and Urasawa) finishes the series.
Old 2006-02-03, 18:32   Link #22
IMSabbel

Well, 20th century boys is more gripping than monster, in the suspense sense, but less attached to reality, so it could appeal less to some people.

But a well made 20th century boys anime could just redefine the word "cliffhanger". There are so many chapters that let you bite your nails waiting for the next one, so many red herrings, no many surprises...
It just rocks...

And Pluto is even better, still.
Old 2006-02-03, 19:51   Link #23
ShikaShika
無罪

Best. Anime. Ever.

Just like most of you, I think it's hard to describe just how good this anime really is. The incredible writing, the fantastic character development, the awsome research on Germany and other places, the amazing attention to detail, the superb character designs (I can't believe the amount of designs fitting of main characters in ordinary mangas/animes), the voice acting and even the animation was really great. Just take the man with the baby who lost his wife in one of the last episodes. His facial expressions during that whole scene, and especially once he turns back to his wife and starts crying... just amazing...

The last few episodes really were great. I agree with ChainLegacy, the Runge scene (really, all his scenes during his fight with Roberto) was among the very best of all anime I've seen.

And while it might be a bit hard to follow over such a long period of time, I really loved the complexity of the plot. I'm definitely watching this again, hopefully I'll be able to follow the plot with a bit more ease this time.

Also, someone mentioned filler, it must have been pretty good, because I'm usually pretty good at spotting filler. Anyway, I'd be glad if I could have the filler pointed out to me, that would be interesting.
Old 2006-02-04, 01:41   Link #24
Ratix

Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzumaki
More questions:
Spoiler:

Ahh...I think I'll have to rewatch it. My memory is fading.
Just finished this and its a blast.

To answer abit of these questions
Spoiler:

Now, I have some questions...
Spoiler:

Yep. Those 3 are the things that are bothering me most. Overall, I love monster, the story is top notch, and I loooooove the final arc.
Old 2006-02-04, 14:19   Link #25
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Ratix:

Spoiler:
Old 2006-02-04, 17:32   Link #26
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Truly awesome anime, and I can't believe I finally made it to the end

It was worth it

I believe that it was the mother that was the true monster, for reasons already stated here.
Old 2006-02-04, 20:03   Link #27
Ratix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixie
Ratix:

Spoiler:
Hmmm...
Spoiler:

And, I believe the true monster is

Spoiler:
Old 2006-02-05, 01:48   Link #28
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Ratix:

Spoiler:
Old 2006-02-05, 03:10   Link #29
ddraggy
Abnormality

About Tenma and Johan:

Spoiler:

Landscape of the end:

Spoiler:

~ ddraggy
Old 2006-02-05, 16:56   Link #30
uzumaki

I always thought that the said landscape was the czech border where the twins had their worst times.
Old 2006-02-05, 22:31   Link #31
glassjawsparta

[QUOTE=ddraggy]About Tenma and Johan:

[Spoiler] this is what i think about Monster and part of the plot
first : Anna forgave Johan for all the bad stuff johan did over the years , remember johan did kill a bunch of people and controlled people

Second : Roberto didn't kill Runge cuz he wanted to see " The landscape of the End"
or so i think

why didn't Tenma said the names of Johan/Anna?

and what happend to Johan in the end? i know he scaped ..but where ?

What did the Drunk guy saw...he did say he saw a beast with 7 heads and horns , it sounded like a beast from the Apocalipse , would have been great if they have showed and image of that beast !
Old 2006-02-06, 06:00   Link #32
Ratix

^
To the dude above, you forgot to close your spoiler tags <_<. As well as quotation tags.

Now...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-02-06, 07:24   Link #33
Budweineken
Crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixie
Ratix:

Spoiler:
Actually, the memory that I think he only knows is the memory of his mother "saving" him and giving Anna away to Bonaparte...
Old 2006-02-06, 13:30   Link #34
ddraggy
Abnormality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratix
Spoiler:
Didn't the professor call her Nina Fortner?

As for world domination...
Spoiler:

~ ddraggy
Old 2006-02-06, 15:37   Link #35
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Didn't the professor call her Nina Fortner?
Spoiler:
Old 2006-02-06, 15:40   Link #36
immortal cow

If you think about it, Johan never existed in the first place.
There are a lot of hidden metaphors within this anime series. Johan was just an imagination of Anna, if you think about it very closely. This is why the writers of the animation chose them to be "twins" and in the final episode, you realize that they look exactly the same. In addition, Johan "disappears" at the end and his real name is never actually revealed because he never existed in the first place.

He is a pigment of Anna's imagination. Anna was taken as a tool of revenge and trained to become an ultimate soldier for terrorist operations. She became traumatized by visualizing her supposed brother "Johan" as being shot and killed, trying to destroy her past in the orphanages.

Think about it carefully.
Old 2006-02-06, 16:24   Link #37
IMSabbel

(thinking carefully.... still thinking carefully.... finished)

Sorry, you are wrong. Nice try, thought.
Old 2006-02-06, 16:34   Link #38
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal cow
If you think about it, Johan never existed in the first place.
There are a lot of hidden metaphors within this anime series. Johan was just an imagination of Anna, if you think about it very closely. This is why the writers of the animation chose them to be "twins" and in the final episode, you realize that they look exactly the same. In addition, Johan "disappears" at the end and his real name is never actually revealed because he never existed in the first place.

He is a pigment of Anna's imagination. Anna was taken as a tool of revenge and trained to become an ultimate soldier for terrorist operations. She became traumatized by visualizing her supposed brother "Johan" as being shot and killed, trying to destroy her past in the orphanages.

Think about it carefully.
whoa thinking that hurts!

So would that mean, that Dr. Tenma just pretented to operate upon a young boy that day and spend his life chasing him? *this was the first thing that pops to my mind*... I'll stop there as my mind would hurt
Old 2006-02-07, 06:17   Link #39
Ratix

I think Johan doesn't exist is too far fetched but in terms of literature sense, its sort of in a way, yeah.
Old 2006-02-07, 10:27   Link #40
uzumaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratix
^
To the dude above, you forgot to close your spoiler tags <_<. As well as quotation tags.

Now...

Spoiler:
I don't think world domination was Johan's intent at all. In fact, in the episode with the nazis Nina explained to them that 'Johan does not care about those things'. I don't think Johan is portrayed to be the typical serial killer, as he seemed fairly normal before all the weird-ness started happening to him in his childhood. I think that events such as the Red Rose incident and Kinderheim really distorted him and made him out to get some sort of...revenge(?). Some sort of attempt at undoing what happened to him by carrying out events similar to those at RRose and Kinderheim, except this time he would die as well.

Also, isn't Frauline 'Miss' or something? I don't think it's a name.
Closed Thread